WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Barbara: ~ want the activities (in person church/dance/T’ai Chi and brewpub chats) I enjoyed back in my life too. I think it will be an even looonger time before that happens. .

I think this is only too true. A large number of people see our road map dates as fixed rather than dependent on the numbers. Many people are already pushing for dates to be brought forward!
    UK have decided to space out our jabs so that a maximum no of people have some immunity, which means that we aren't due our second dose until May. And no one seems to be factoring in the possibility of variants which might resist the vaccines. I think we're in this for the loooong haul, not just a couple of months.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    226 posts behind! I just can’t keep up lately!

Hope everyone is doing ok. Get my second CoVid shot today. Busy busy!

RvRita
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    putting off appointments question (by annie squat ?)
    everything during lockdown, it was required
    dentist
    hematologist
    eye
    computer
    you name it!

not so much since after 1st lockdown
    well : almost no non-essential shopping
    clothes shopping is a pain.
    i don't have a big stock of clothes so if i only have 1 pair of jeans left i buy another pair or two, very quickly now.

i avoid going out more now.
    i need to buy a washer, get glasses.
    but all closes at 6pm so it's so much harder. choices need to be made...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Change of plan. My son wants to meet up on the beach at 8.30 tomorrow! So, we will take Bea's card and present, and the brownies, down there in the morning. The wind should have died down by then. I expect he wants to give me my Mother’s Day present.
    This afternoon I cut up the brownies. They are more solid than usual because I made them last Monday, but DH pronounced the one he had "Superb." The family have half a batch, 10 slices, in Tupperware, for tomorrow and I'm freezing the rest. I tasted the crumbs. :D
    I also made the crême caramels for my dessert tomorrow. They are looking good. I will blow torch the tops tomorrow. They are my favourite dessert. It's the first time I have made them from scratch.

Must wash my hair. Going to have spinach, pea, broad bean and pesto sauce, with king prawns, on tagliatelle for dinner. I'm recording the musical Oliver this afternoon so DH and I can watch it tonight and have a sing song together. AF today, so I can have a drink tomorrow for Mother's Day.

Karen - I've read the info in the newspapers, but I don't think I'm due anything. They say they are checking everyone, so you never know! Wouldn't it be nice?!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Whinge in spoiler about mansplaining type thing.
    had to work online meeting on some worker's rights stuff;
    once again I'm the one who works the most and it's mostly men, but there is one guy who also works a lot.
    one who has some good ideas popped in, and wanted us to work on a totally different thing; saying it would take only 5 minutes. i knew it would take much longer so i suggested we see it afterwards.
    they got annoyed so i said ok 5 minutes. the guy who had insisted couldn't find his stuff. (as was very clear was the case) and so said ok never mind I'll do it alone and left.

i wrote him an sms telling him i would send him a mail when we were finished with the main part, if he only wanted to do his thing. Then he came back.

then when we were working on a letter together at one point i suggested something and they said yes you're right; for the next comment, this same guy, F, said "Julie, "you have to trust us." (This was a letter he had written chock full of major factual mistakes - a big mess, and he does next to nothing).

and then the letter was 1.5 pages.
    F said, x said it has to be 1 page.
    I said i think it's ok.
    F said, Julie you have to listen to people, long tirade.
    O. (a guy) said I think 1.5 pages is ok.

F. said ok.

I said "F why don't you tell O that he has to listen to people?"
    F said 'Julie is oversensitive." (or something like that.)

That is classic example of mansplaining and discrediting women who speak.

I recapped it for them (not all but the last two bits) by mail saying it was a gag and picture perfect example of what they show in videos: 1) woman says something and the guys criticize her. 2) a man says exactely the same thing and the response is "good idea john!" i finished with a :D emoji.

i know they won't like it but if i don't do that they will remember it and refer to it differently, forgetting what really happened and remember only their annoyance and unease, when i called them on it.

I know it's nothing new.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Right now I have
    Shape Cardio Bikini Body DVD
    The Biggest Loser Boot Camp
    and
    Kathy Smith's Build Muscle Shrink Fat DVD

If anyone is interested for the cost of shipping. Just PM me.

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Julie: ~ Some things never change. Brava on calling them out on it.
    Heather: ~ 😍 King Prawns! One of my favourites. Send me over a portion of that! We are having venison tonight. (Just burgers, but they are made by our butcher and taste divine.)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Tracey: I am among those who have gained weight. It is time to take better control of my food intake. I also need to get more exercise. :embarassed: Your comments about anxiety and worry prompted me to look it up. I looked up anxiety. According to Wikipedia, anxiety is a worry about future events. Worry is a reaction to current events. It makes some sense to me. My mom was a worrier, with good reason. My dad had significant heart disease and had more than one heart attack. Both of them were chain smokers. I wonder whether they smoked to reduce anxiety. Their smoking led to me having carsickness whenever we drove anywhere. :ohwell:

Allie: Humidifiers can make breathing so much easier. In my experience they combat dry air as well as stuffy noses. I’m glad to know that it is helping you. :star:

Rebecca: Nice toy for your DH! :bigsmile:

Barbie: Thanks for posting the podcast link about anxiety as a habit. :flowerforyou:

Machka: Several years ago we realized that DH couldn’t safely get up and down the stairs to our outside deck due to MS. He found a company online that makes handrails and ordered a pair. We then had them powder coated so that they would never rust. It was a very good idea. DH found this product through ETSY. It is a very simple design—a handrail supported with an upright post on the top and bottom of the steps. We had a rail and upright for each side of the steps. I imagine something similar to our handrails would be a blessing for your DH. :star:

Margaret: DH & I both had nasty headaches for a few days after our first vaccinations. The second vaccinations will be at the end of this month. We will be thrilled to have it done, with or without the headaches. :heart:

Barbara: My headache after the first vaccination has eased somewhat but isn’t entirely gone. My continuing headache is likely a result of the fall I had in early January before having any vaccinations. I fell down the steps, broke my glasses and had a nasty bruise on my forehead and a concussion. It will take a long while to completely heal. Our first CoVid vaccinations were March 1 for DH and March 2 for me. I still had continuing headache from the fall then. It is less now but not entirely gone. Our second CoVid doses are both scheduled for March 30. I look forward to getting them done. :flowerforyou:

Daylight savings time begins tomorrow. I look forward to it. :heart:

Katla in Sunshiney NW Oregon

• Katla49
    Options
    We just had an amazing sighting of a live mink running along the edge if the river. I am thrilled to have seen it. We have had river otters as long as we’ve lived here, but seeing a live mink is an unexpected blessing. <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Way cool Katla...
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Watching the Great British baking show on PBS.. very interesting
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    We pay someone to do our taxes and have since we bought the house. Before that we just did the simple form and I did those. This way if there is a mistake I have someone to call.

A long day at work and so looking forward to being off tomorrow. I did not sleep well so have a headache. Think the change in weather and the rain could be part of it.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Feeling less sick just tired. Nice sunny day walked Drew twice. I think that helped.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    We watched 'Oliver' that I had recorded and sang along to all the songs. Most of them are regular songs at our singing group, so we have the words. :D
    Got to get organised early tomorrow so we can get down to the beach, bearing gifts, by 8.30. I like to have my face on, even if it is only family. :)
    I'll sleep upstairs because I never settle properly if I know I've got to get up. The wind seems to have died down a bit.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather: I hope you have good weather and a grand time at the beach. :star:

Allie: I love watching the Great British Bake Off. The bakers work hard and do well. :smiley:

We have seen tiny ants in our home again. I detest them. I've got some herbs out to discourage them, and so far, the herbs are working. The leaves I'm using are from a Bergarten Sage plant. I am planning to buy several more when they are available at the garden store. I want to plant them outside below the locations of the bird feeders. I am hoping they will help to discourage the ants. Meanwhile I'm spraying outside below the feeders with Raid. This is definitely not organic but it is effective at killing ants. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Im so enjoying watching Rick Steves ,he is on a Mediterranean cruise.. it sort of reminds me of the travelogs i used to go to with my grandmother,she and her sisters took quite a few cruises and i was always fascinated at the presentation at the local high school
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    Rebecca — You are one of the best moms, ever. I know how hard it is to send a son off to the military. Our son will be retiring in a couple of years. I look forward to it. <3