Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    @alexmose2 are you cutting? I have to be frank and say it looks like you are losing lean mass girl....you look leaner and more full in January, the pics on the left....I think you need to up cals and gain some weight/muscle....

oh no. I really did not have any goal between those two periods, as I was in a stressful assignment but that's not what I want!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    @alexmose2 are you cutting? I have to be frank and say it looks like you are losing lean mass girl....you look leaner and more full in January, the pics on the left....I think you need to up cals and gain some weight/muscle....

It's not dramatic, but I think I have to agree in part with @nexangelus. In your bicep flex it looks like you've lost a bit of muscle. But I think you look leaner in the latter pics, which could be contributing to your less "full" look.

It's really close though. So close that I think it could just come down to differences in how hard you're flexing in the two sets of pics.

But I'd again agree with nex, up the cals to a slight surplus and go for a bulk.
  • alexmose2
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

It's not dramatic, but I think I have to agree in part with @nexangelus. In your bicep flex it looks like you've lost a bit of muscle. But I think you look leaner in the latter pics, which could be contributing to your less "full" look.

It's really close though. So close that I think it could just come down to differences in how hard you're flexing in the two sets of pics.

But I'd again agree with nex, up the cals to a slight surplus and go for a bulk.

Copy that folks. Timing sucks with summer coming up but I’ll do what I can to reduce cardio and up the carbs. Maybe add more sauces and fattier meats in.
    Perhaps I should have seen this coming. I am one of those types that can lose weight when not tracking.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Copy that folks. Timing sucks with summer coming up but I’ll do what I can to reduce cardio and up the carbs. Maybe add more sauces and fattier meats in.
    Perhaps I should have seen this coming. I am one of those types that can lose weight when not tracking.

Agree with Nex and Gary, it’s lean bulk time. I was hesitant to mass in the fall but have been really happy I did. I only went from ~173 to 179 and would estimate I kept under 15%. It has been difficult for me to come back down (still stuck in the 176s for the most part) but I can tell I’ve added size and lifts indicate solid strength gains.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Started 2/21 :

Weight - 195.8
    Caliper - 18mm
    %bf - 22.9
    LM - 151.0
    FM - 44.8

Goal is 15% bf. This is going to be difficult for me; I was very skinny when I was younger (6’1” 125# high school senior) so I have some body dysmorphia with being too light, but being leaner will be healthier and hopefully make it a bit “easier” to build some muscle.

Current (3/14):

Weight - 191.4
    Caliper - 17mm
    %bf - 22.1
    LM - 149.1
    FM - 42.3
    dLM: -1.96
    dFM: -2.44

Eating 2600-2700 cals, 180g protein, low fat (20%). Not being neurotic about counting, adjusting portion sizes up or down based on weekly weigh-ins.

Using Accu-Measure caliper suprailliac for body composition.
  • steveko89
    edited March 2021
    Options
    "steveko89 wrote: »
    I’ve added size and lifts indicate solid strength gains.

Evidence of strength gains: 295 lb bench yesterday for a 10lb all time PR. Trending at around 176 lbs body weight.
    jc6dn08cjczz.jpeg
    l7ybcs4v98nk.gif

• alexmose2
    edited March 2021
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    "steveko89 wrote: »
    I’ve added size and lifts indicate solid strength gains.

Evidence of strength gains: 295 lb bench yesterday for a 10lb all time PR
    jc6dn08cjczz.jpeg
    l7ybcs4v98nk.gif

nice!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Great PR @steveko89

I am hoping once my energy returns (big slump mentally and physically this last week) I start hitting the bigger numbers and gainz....deadlifts are a go, pressing not so much...heavy squats are on hold cos my traps are really uncomfy with mid bar placement at the moment, high bar is even worse...no idea what I have done, but massage gun, foam roller and stretchy, rehabby, allthemashiz ain't making it feel any better....
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Down to 220.1lb

I’m now only classed as overweight not obese according to my BMI 😂
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Welcome back
  • steveko89
    Options
    Welcome back, Stef!

I've been able to get my trend heading back down with better adherence the last few weeks and floating around 175 fairly consistently (down from a weekly average of ~177 . Running some numbers I'm fascinated by the fact that my observed TDEE for the year is up at 2650 after historically floating just above 2500 since I switched to the TDEE spreadsheet in mid 2017. I've known the studies to exist but didn't think I'd ever really been successful enough at cutting to be anything worth considering but my lean bulk in the fall seems to have been a beneficial reset in that regard. Literal values suggest up to a 7% reduction in TDEE due to adaptation and I've seen approximately 5.60%.

Between being historically not great at cutting and some of the things discussed on the RP Strength podcast (highly recommend) my short term plan is another four weeks of targeting ~0.5% loss/week. My wife's birthday is 4/21 and mine is 4/29 so I'll probably end up around maintenance that week if I like it or not. Provided it's a successful next four weeks I'll probably maintain through the garage gym competition in mid-late May and then decide what to do from there. We do have a beach trip planned in August but that's still a ways off and history would indicate I'm bad at sticking to that sort of long term roadmap.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am still hear. I am a little up in weight due to a few birthdays. Sitting around 167 instead of 164. I am largely fully healed and have added a bit of calisthenics into my workout to see if that will increase my EE to help with the cut. Still focusing on whole foods.

One of my bigger issues is sleep since my work is on shifts and I start at 0500, so I am up by 0400. I can't even go to sleep early since I train my wife and her friend which usually ends around 2130. It's possible this is having an impact on my weight.... who knows.
  • steveko89
    Options
    I could 100% see that being the case. I've been able to work from home most days for the last two weeks so I've been able to sleep a bit more (~30-60 min/night) and average weight is down 1.7 over that span. Considering that I also lost 4 lbs in March-April last year while exclusively working from home I think my default sleeping habits and work/life balance were a big factor. I was musing that it was perhaps generally less stress/cortisol being at home vs the office but I don't think one can make that argument for last year between the pandemic starting, a coworker's death (non-covid), and the specter of possibly getting laid off.

The only wearable sleep tracker I've ever used was a pebble smart watch 5+ years ago and it was a little bulky and the data wasn't great. Similarly, my phone's data is only based on if the phone is used/when the alarms are turned off. Might have to do some research on a high level sleep tracker; does anyone have experience and/or recommendations?
  • nexangelus
    Options
    Energy magically back, have increased vit D3 dosage and weight still dropping (slow reverse diet happening, listening to coach, getting leaner, all my clothes are getting bagsome, loathe to buy another size down, as will be bulking soon enough), weighing in at 138.8 lbs/62.95 kg this morning....training is strong, am almost to pressing numbers and squat numbers I was doing last year 10 kg (22 lbs heavier)....getting used to tekkers tweaks for heavier overhead loads now...deadlifts are same level w00t...
  • alexmose2
    Options
    Energy magically back, have increased vit D3 dosage and weight still dropping (slow reverse diet happening, listening to coach, getting leaner, all my clothes are getting bagsome, loathe to buy another size down, as will be bulking soon enough), weighing in at 138.8 lbs/62.95 kg this morning....training is strong, am almost to pressing numbers and squat numbers I was doing last year 10 kg (22 lbs heavier)....getting used to tekkers tweaks for heavier overhead loads now...deadlifts are same level w00t...

jw how much D3 are you taking?
  • nexangelus
    Options
    I was on the recommended 5000 IU, but am now taking 10 000 IU...short term. I also do get outdoors in the sunlight daily. I am not recommending others take vitamin supplements or anything else willy nilly, this is my personal intake, adjusted according to blood test results.

Will have actual blood work done again soon, to make sure things are balanced.
  • nexangelus
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    The only wearable sleep tracker I've ever used was a pebble smart watch 5+ years ago and it was a little bulky and the data wasn't great. Similarly, my phone's data is only based on if the phone is used/when the alarms are turned off. Might have to do some research on a high level sleep tracker; does anyone have experience and/or recommendations?

I used to have a fitbit and the sleep part was what freaked me out. I don't think many are that accurate as we all tend to move and shake at least a little when we sleep...I am very restless as it turns out and that throws the data right off. Sleep really does have an effect on stress/cortisol and therefore fat loss...but stressing about that in itself (which is what I did for a few years) can also add to the stress...vicious cycle anyone?

Sleep clinics/studies are probably the most accurate but here in the UK I don't think they exist apart from privately...possibly the same the world over, have to save some dosh up if you want scientifically accurate things done and even then sometimes they aren't (the DEXA scans being a prime example)

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks... been a long time.

Finally back in the gym for the last month - strength back up to pre-covid and lockdown levels rather quickly. I'd never had a chance to really test the entire "muscle memory" thing... it's real and rather shocking how quickly you can be back after a long layoff. I did manage to keep my weight pretty static during the past year and did spend about 8 months of that year doing bodyweight (read: pullups and pushups... lots of them) but gave up the last three or so months as the volume required was getting to me.

Anyhow, down to 203 as of yesterday morning which is about 20 pounds down. I'm doing my modified PSMF again and this time although it's working I'm super grumpy and food focused. If was unpleasant last time and this time it's literally torture. lol

I want to get down to about 190. I have a visible six pack already but I definitely still look soft and there are still the love-handles to manage. I got sick of chicken and have already resorted to ON Protein powders for the bulk of that macro. Not doing ephedrine but lots of coffee and will start the heavy fish oil as soon as I feel any crunch in my joints.

Glad to see so many familiar names and nice to see so many new people.

btw: what the heck is up with all the half-naked women thumbnails and all the friends requests? I have over 10 and they are all showing me the goods. I have not accepted any but my wife saw one and I got in trouble.

I am not, in fact, Gary Busey... if that is the draw. ;)