Dad bod to not so dad bod!!

Replies

• Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 393 Member
    Watching your post with interest, great work on the persistence; seems to be half the battle. Good question with the cardio stuff, been starting to consider that again too.

Have you found implementing pull ups has helped you much so far? I follow the SL5X5 program, but trying to add a bit extra mass to the chest and shoulder by throwing 50 push ups to the end of each of my workout days.

Yes I’ve found pull ups having a positive impact, don’t do them every day though just when ever I feel like. All down to diet though I suppose to see fat loss as just been too slack recently due to lockdown will be more motivated once gyms reopen
  • recodeexistance
    recodeexistance Posts: 51 Member
    Nice. Might have to invest in a pull up bar on payday.

And yeah, I've found the same.. most of the work is done in the kitchen, and i've been dying to get to the gym. 26th April can't come fast enough.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Update. Starting a slight calorie deficit today and going to start going for a jog/run twice per week. Not done any cardio in ages so will be a struggle! I’ve read before that running can affect muscle growth any truth in this?

Do you mean hamper muscle growth? And by running how far are you talking about?
  • Gymladmatt
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Update. Starting a slight calorie deficit today and going to start going for a jog/run twice per week. Not done any cardio in ages so will be a struggle! I’ve read before that running can affect muscle growth any truth in this?

Do you mean hamper muscle growth? And by running how far are you talking about?

Couple of runs per week 3-5 miles was thinking of doing
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    This would not impact. Some cardio. is recommended for cardiovascular health. Also this past year I've learned it maintauns a healthy lymph system. It's the lymph that removed the byproducts of muscle recovery.

Long distance running like marathon stuff would be counterproductive to muscle growth.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    This would not impact. Some cardio. is recommended for cardiovascular health. Also this past year I've learned it maintauns a healthy lymph system. It's the lymph that removed the byproducts of muscle recovery.

Long distance running like marathon stuff would be counterproductive to muscle growth.

It will also help regulate the small calorie deficit you're trying to maintain. I would not worry about distance if you are just beginning to run - rather focus on time. Start with walk/run for :15 min twice/week and build from there.
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Deadlift x3
    Bench x3
    Row x3
    Close grip bench x2
  • recodeexistance
    recodeexistance Posts: 51 Member
    Good job dude. Keep at it.
  • Gymladmatt
    Just been for my first run. Crikey had to stop and walk as was blowing out of my *kitten*! Hopefully fitness picks up 😃
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Nice one Matt.

So... perhaps you can help me out. I’ve tried to work what “*kitten*” means and am puzzled and intrigued. Is it just a substitute for an expletive?
  • Gymladmatt
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Nice one Matt.

So... perhaps you can help me out. I’ve tried to work what “*kitten*” means and am puzzled and intrigued. Is it just a substitute for an expletive?

Ha ha yes it’s another word for bum 😆
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Rear end
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Hiney. Rolling ROFL's
  • Gymladmatt
    Gyms reopen in 2 weeks in the uk. I’ll be going 2 times per week due to my work shifts and having kids. Any advice on what type of workout to do on both days? I’m looking to build muscle
  • davew0000
    edited March 2021
    My vote would be for Rippletoe’s Starting Strength barbell program. Big compound lifts and not too many exercises.

ms98sgrz4i9c.jpeg
  • davew0000
    p1m9bx3zt883.jpeg

It progresses to this, although I’d be a bit wary doing power cleans without coaching.
  • Gymladmatt
    davew0000 wrote: »
    p1m9bx3zt883.jpeg

It progresses to this, although I’d be a bit wary doing power cleans without coaching.

Thanks pal looks good. Yes I’ll give the power cleans a miss
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Any advice on what type of workout to do on both days?
    Deja vu, all over again...
  • Gymladmatt
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Any advice on what type of workout to do on both days?
    Deja vu, all over again...
    Jesus mate only asking for advice. Chill out
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited March 2021
    You’ve asked a few times and been answered a few times. Is there something wrong with or something you don’t like about the suggestions that have been provided previously?