WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Not including the vaccine that a few of you got ...

What is at least one highlight of March 2021?

You can add to this if there's another highlight in the next few days. :)

Machka in Oz

It is a somewhat difficult question.

I like March because it is my birth month. I like it even more in Australia because it is still a bit summery and early autumn.

But recently March has become a bit of a stressful month because it is the anniversary of my husband's injury. It is also a busy month at work ... every 3 months are busy months.

Highlights:
    • Taking 5 days off over the labour day long weekend ... and not organising a cycling event!
    • Finishing organising my dressing room!

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Well i am awake another night of tossing and turning..went to the bathroom early morning and found 2 wood spiders 😳 im sorry i had to squish them and flush them...im dressed and will go get Dan in a bit for work..
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    Hoo! First world kitty problems... trying to type around a rather large cat kneading my tummy and pet-me purring. Which would be fine if she didn't have incredibly sharp little scimitars on the ends of her kneading feet. Okay, she evicted herself before I had to.

Corey's off to work, and I'm perpetuating stereotypes in the kitchen again. I had to get him to open the @#!(%#$@ pickle jar this morning. I tried everything--used my silicone mitts on it, ran the lid under hot water, popped the bottom to loosen the vacuum, hit the lid gently with the back of a knife around the edge to loosen. I did everything except hit the edge of the lid on the counter, which I simply won't do with a glass jar. Grf. He walks in and pops it open.

I know I've just made him feel better about being a man, but it just makes me feel like I need to start working on my grip strength and upper body strength. Which would not be a bad thing, but genuinely didn't want a demonstration of why this early in the morning, thank-you-very-much.

Grf. OK, having vented, I feel much better, thank you.

Pip -
    Love your new toy!

Michele -
    I tell everyone who will sit still how old I am. I have for decades. I'm 60 now, but if you want to see someone laugh, tell them you're 58 and a half. The only birthday that ever bothered me was my 25th, as it meant I was moving into my "late twenties." From this perspective, I have no idea why it bothered me. That said, I genuinely always look forward in time for the things that matter - when talking about my marriage, I would say that my next anniversary will be 12 years, not that I've been married 11 years. I do the same with my age, with how long I've been in my house, all of it. It's possible this makes me an optimist.

Evie -
    So good to see you!

My weight is going down at the same rate it went up this month, which is a good thing, as according to the scale, I was pre-eating before the kids came to visit and eating like a goober while they were here. Birthday cake, lemon cheesecake bars, spaghetti and meatballs... just a carb-a-palooza. Not that I'm restricting carbs, but I ate like there was no tomorrow while they were here.

Last but not least in this story I didn't mean to write this morning, the saga of hamburger, rice and cabbage casserole... Corey likes all the main ingredients, so Wednesday, I made it like I always do with a new recipe, exactly as written, with the rice cooking in the juices of the cabbage and whole tomatoes, crushed. After two hours in the oven, Corey tried it, and told me the rice was crunchy. So we left it in another hour. Same result. He ended up eating baked fish fillets late that night. Yesterday, at his advice, I threw the whole shooting match in a large stockpot, added beef stock and simmered it slowly to make a soup. It was indescribably ugly, but he ate two large bowls of it last night because he was starving. I was gagging at the smell of it, having lived with it for two days now... so no, I didn't even try it. Then the moment of truth... I asked him if the leftovers were worth keeping. That was a big negatory. *sigh*. I hate cooking. I love baking, but I really hate cooking.

Oh well. Tonight I'm trying a new chicken recipe.

Pray for me.
    :smiley:

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hoo! First world kitty problems... trying to type around a rather large cat kneading my tummy and pet-me purring. Which would be fine if she didn't have incredibly sharp little scimitars on the ends of her kneading feet. Okay, she evicted herself before I had to.

Corey's off to work, and I'm perpetuating stereotypes in the kitchen again. I had to get him to open the @#!(%#$@ pickle jar this morning. I tried everything--used my silicone mitts on it, ran the lid under hot water, popped the bottom to loosen the vacuum, hit the lid gently with the back of a knife around the edge to loosen. I did everything except hit the edge of the lid on the counter, which I simply won't do with a glass jar. Grf. He walks in and pops it open.

I know I've just made him feel better about being a man, but it just makes me feel like I need to start working on my grip strength and upper body strength. Which would not be a bad thing, but genuinely didn't want a demonstration of why this early in the morning, thank-you-very-much.

Did you try just sitting it on the counter for a couple hours, and then opening it? :)

• Machka9
    Options
    I miss feeling cool.

Never thought I would say that because I love the heat when it is happening outside ... but feeling hot ALL THE TIME is getting a bit old.

Apparently it is not actually as hot as I think it is.

I don't have a fever. Temp between about 36.3 and 36.6. My thyroid is normal. I don't have diabetes - everything is absolutely normal in that regard. I'm not in any pain*. And I have absolutely no problem sweating.

I'm cooler when I exercise outside but even getting up and walking around the office for a minute or two when I feel really hot helps a little bit.

I don't drink hot drinks - I let my coffee and tea cool. I drink a lot of cold water.

I wear cool clothes even on chilly days and when I get home, I'm in shorts and a tank top. My clothing choices for work are narrowing. I'm down to sleeveless tops and skirts or sleeveless dresses.

*Regarding pain: I don't feel pain when I'm normally hot, but when I have a hot flush, I do. A hot flush is even hotter than my normal hot. I feel like I'm burning up and my skin goes all prickly and painful.

Why do I feel hot but have no fever?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-do-i-feel-hot-but-no-fever

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, J1t POLST to Joe, deliver donation, Post Office, bank, BiMart, Library.
    Bonus: printed Joe’s labs and appointments, another hour and a half decluttering paper pile, one… sheet… at… a… time!
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, make Joe’s reservation for Wednesday night, Post Office, bank, recycling, drop off Interpath permisions, call bank re: mortgage statement and escrow AGAIN, Dollar Store for gift bag, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), First week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments. Monday:
    Mindful March:
    25: Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted: Being able to drive to town whenever I want.
    26: Notice when you’re tired and take a break as soon as possible. Did that Thursday morning. Decluttering exhausts me.

Belated very best birthday wishes, dear Barbie! I’m grateful for you!

Anybody need a printer? An Epson, with spare ink? Work great. We changed to a lower annual cost option as the ink is so very expensive. Turns out the Thrift Store won’t take printers, due possible sensitive information stored therein. Pfui! The pause as worker explained policy to me allowed me to retrieve one item I just wasn’t ready to release, a little copper and glass battery operated night light lantern I’ve had for more than 60 years. The other three boxes gone!

Lisa “. . . a very small chainsaw” :laugh: Hmm, now you intrigue me, how small is it? How much does it weigh? Could I handle it? April Fool’s day is when we get our second Pfizers ;) Sometimes I have to pry under the jar lid’s edge with an old-style beer can opener to break the seal. Yup, all that looking forward sounds optimistic to me.
    Heather I would love it too! Then we could go to Paris, you and Julie could visit while I helped her with her filing. Ah, dreams! What Katla said about the two Heathers ;)
    Allie and Beth “Touched by an Angel” was one of my favorite TV series too. Wish we had more like that nowadays.
    Tracey like you I’m grateful to Heather for the BBC Sound app/Soul Music recommendation. Just subscribed and while I was looking for Ravel’s Pavane, stumbled upon Coventry Carol. Tragic, sad, moving.
    Carol saw tornadoes in Georgia on the Weather Channel. Hope you and yours are safe! Will look for Disturbed singing Sound of Silence tomorrow, thanks!
    Flea I’d love a pic of Harley’s suspicious look ;) To be honest I’d be more than suspicious in a kayak, I’d be scared stiff!
    Pip :love: the portapotty under the seat cushion. Brilliant!
    Rebecca “-"Voi Che Sapete " from The Marriage of Figaro, -"Rend'il Sereno Al Ciglio " from Handel's opera Costume, - "Dimmi Amor" an Italian cantata.” Yes, please!
    Katla I must have deceived. I LOVE to sing but alas, the spirit is willing but the voice is weak. Thank goodness for showers and cars…
    Ginny good to hear from you, and glad you’re getting some relief.
    Suebdew and Evelyn good to see you posting, you’ve been missed.
    Kate well done!
    Michele I’m shaking my head at your work situation. No training, no clue on how you’d be able to hear the phone from your workstation, reminds me how glad I am to be retired.

Highlight of March, hmm, looking back I’d say it was the stroll chats with my new friend T. Good for the body, mind and spirit. Oh and being introduced to “nail polish strips” by my other friend C. I’ve never included manicures in my minimalist grooming routine, but these strips (clear) make my nails feel stronger and sooo smooth. Will I feel pretty when I try the glittery ones? Maybe.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 22, weigh: 25, steps>5627=6245 better! vits=25, log=25, CI<CO=22, CI<250<CO=15, Tumble=19 Shadow=16 mfp=25 outside=14 up hill=13
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=6 x5= rx=3 dance= clean 60 mins=7 packwalk=4, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad:, 3/14:140.7 :bigsmile:, 3/21 143.3 :rage:, 3/28 , 3/31 .
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=11 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,379 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Did you try just sitting it on the counter for a couple hours, and then opening it? :)

I did think of it, I swear, but didn't have the time! I slept in until 4:45, and he had to be out the door by 5:15. :)
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Still trying to add a couple pictures,Our 7 yr old great Gr son & the two our DD has kept since birth.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) My highlight for March is making plans for getting a pile of bark for my spring and summer yard projects.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Spiders aren’t welcome in our house, either. :noway:

Lisa: Have you considered a mani-pedi for your kitty? You can clip the sharp points on claws without surgery for you or the kitty. When we had our kitty, we wrapped her in a towel and clipped off the tips. It was good protection for the furniture and she could still protect herself from other critters. We have not had a kitty in many years. Neither of us wants to live with a kitty litter box. :ohwell:

Machka: Could your situation be the beginning of menopause? I had hot flashes for a while and then they went away. WIN! :wink:

Vgetskinny: Welcome! :star:

Heather: Congrats on your website! :flowerforyou:

Four days to go for our second CoVid jabs! I am so eager to get it done and begin to return to the things in my life that bring me happiness. Yoga class and a visit to the stable are on the top of my “to do” list.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    What is at least one highlight of March 2021? For me we got to celebrate DH and I and our DGD and his wife birthdays together. We have not gotten to see them for 2 years. It was fun and we got to catch up.

Heather--Great news on your web site going live. I will check it out.

So looking forward to having the next 2 days off. Have lots to do and just want to rest.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Just spoke to a dear friend who is a former resident here..she was crying she misses us all so,but her place sold within 12 hrs with multiple offers ,she can have one visitor so i am hoping after my second shot to go see her.
    One of the ladies I hang out with will be 91 in May almost took me out in the driveway,she really shouldnt be driving anymore,she swung real wide and almost clipped me.. thank goodness my reflexes are faster than hers..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,537 Member
    Options
    Lll