WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Kelly-I too am in awe of your creativity with those kids.

Tracey-I cook things my mister doesn’t like to smell and tell him if he doesn’t like it, go away. Generally, if I’m doing something he seems offended by, I tell him to go elsewhere and he does. Same for me. If I don’t like what he’s watching or listening too, I go elsewhere, unless I’m cooking. Then he stops out of courtesy. To be honest, I usually can block out what he’s doing just fine. He doesn’t have that ability.

I was a picky kid eater, but I haven’t been picky since my early 20s. Now, I love to cook and travel and my palate has changed drastically. One thing I cannot handle much of is really spicy (hot) food. It just doesn’t agree with my digestive system. AND, I like to taste the food, not the heat.

Heather and Carol-I love the flowers blooming. Our wisteria just popped out this week and I saw the orioles in the yard. Spring is coming, it was just a bit late this year.

Heather-It’s so nice your DH spent quality time with Max. What a great relationship you all have.

Rebecca-Athena!! What a doll. She looks just like her mom in those pics.

Pat C.-Cute, as Woody from Cheers would say “butter headed toeballs.”

I like seeing all the kid pics. I feel like I get to watch them grow up.

Was a good day today. Formula 1 race watching this morning (a good one for a change), two nieces called me for FaceTime, and I got to cook trying to see what I could do with items I have already in the house.

Tina in CA
  • tinaonmove
    tinaonmove Posts: 5 Member
    Hello all. KJLaMore: Thanks for the information. I am from a very small town in upstate New York. I am approximately 90 miles south of Rochester, NY and 120 miles from Buffalo, NY. Love the Buffalo Bills even when they were not such a good team. I have been married for 40 years this July. We have a son who lives in New jersey with his wife, who I adore. They don't plan to have any babies, so no grandbabies for me. I think I just got real lazy but also became depressed upon retirement. I finally pulled myself out of that and went back to work part-time. I love my job now. I have to really work hard to make myself exercise. I will make all kinds of excuses to not do it. Now I have psoriatic and osteoarthritis which I use as an excuse but in reality, exercise is the best thing for it. IF I keep moving, it is supposed to lessen the pain from it. Also, if I lose weight it should reduce the symptoms. I just have to keep trying. Thanks. all.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did Cathe Friedrich’s Power Hour DVD. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise.

Debbie – Vince is Mr. Pickey. The only veges he eats are corn and carrots, oh, white (no other color) potatoes, he will eat celery but hasn’t in a long, long time, lettuce and tomatoes. That’s IT. He likes everything PLAIN. If I put breading on something, he takes it off. Which I don’t mind that much, but he complains that the taste of the breading is in the fish/meat. Soup? Nope. Don’t even THINK about chili. But on the positive, he will eat leftovers so I cook and put it in the freezer. Vince doesn’t like drive-thru. Whenever we go away, he’ll stop at a truck stop to fill up if needed since that’s about the only place where you can eat inside. He really doesn’t want to sit in the car and eat. Although he does it when we go to FL with the cats. But he HATES sitting in line at a drive-thru. He will eat cheese – but only on pizza or in lasagna. No warm tomato sauce except on pizza. Pickey, pickey, pickey. He did admit to a friend of mine that the reason he’s so pickey is the way his mother cooked

Kim - I think I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve brought in takeout. Mostly when Jess was here

Rebecca – good fridge notes

Went to church last night. I had downloaded an app for my tablet for the gospel but it wasn’t complete. So what I think I’ll do is take my lector book with me so I can at least follow along. Also need to remember to take a small bottle of water with me since I get so dry with this mask on. I easily can go thru 80oz of water in the 4-1/2 hrs I’m at work

M – I knew you’d answer the question about posting pictures which is why I didn’t

KJ – I really want to be one of your kiddos

Did I tell you that ceramics is now open? VERY VERY VERY limited hours. It’s only open on Mon, Tues and Wed. There are two sessions of two hours each day. You are limited in being able to sign up for no more than 2 sessions. Yes, you have to make a reservation. What a pain in the lower back side. Only 5 people are allowed at any one session. Well, I guess it’s better than nothing. We used to go twice a week for 2-1/2 hrs each time. Now we only sign up for one session. There are too many others who would like to go so we feel it would be selfish to take up more than one spot. The fact of the matter is that the woman who runs it (the other lady retired – she got used to being at home) is very loose. She’s allowed more than 5 after asking if anyone was bothered by more than 5. You are supposed to wipe down the paint jars after every time you use them. No one does and she never says something. You are supposed to wipe down the table where you painted and the chair. Guess what doesn’t get done? You are supposed to wear a mask at all times. She has a code that she says if a city employee comes so you know to put up your mask.

After exercise made more chocolate bran muffins, got dinner for me ready to microwave (Vince had a pizza), then went outside to move some stones up a hill, went to Lowe’s Hardware, did laundry (just rinsed my work clothes, had dinner, now to rest some while watching TV

Kim – I must have missed it, which book did you recommend?

Katla – Please ask your hubby. I have a recipe that calls for a prime rib roast. I can’t seem to find one anywhere around here. What cut of meat can I substitute?

Michele NC
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    CAROL I love azaleas, only have 1 in a pot in front garden. It’s in bud and when it flowers it glows. Don’t do anything to it, just feed a bit in Summer and make sure it doesn’t dry out entirely. It seems to thrive on neglect. Will post pic when it blooms.

Been a bit lax on exercise for the last couple of days but have lost another pound this week. YouTube will be on tomorrow, 500 calls burned.

HEATHER congrats on getting your website out there.

tinaonmove just hang in there, try to find something you like, even if it’s just a walk round the house every hour. Sometimes I do that. Take it from me that once you find you feel better you’ll want to do more.

DS brought some new jigsaws today so might start one this week.

Kate UK ❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) We keep eating very simple here. Our big meal is in the middle of the day and we discuss what it will be. We have about a dozen meals that we rotate. The other meals are all "find it and fix it". We plan the grocery list so we have food for both of us on hand all the time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Evening ladies
    Had a lovely dinner with my gal pals and tomorrow night is another..Trudy leaving Friday for Alaska for a week..
    Im settling in for the night and watch tV..
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I miss feeling cool.

Never thought I would say that because I love the heat when it is happening outside ... but feeling hot ALL THE TIME is getting a bit old.

Apparently it is not actually as hot as I think it is.

I don't have a fever. Temp between about 36.3 and 36.6. My thyroid is normal. I don't have diabetes - everything is absolutely normal in that regard. I'm not in any pain*. And I have absolutely no problem sweating.

I'm cooler when I exercise outside but even getting up and walking around the office for a minute or two when I feel really hot helps a little bit.

I don't drink hot drinks - I let my coffee and tea cool. I drink a lot of cold water.

I wear cool clothes even on chilly days and when I get home, I'm in shorts and a tank top. My clothing choices for work are narrowing. I'm down to sleeveless tops and skirts or sleeveless dresses.

*Regarding pain: I don't feel pain when I'm normally hot, but when I have a hot flush, I do. A hot flush is even hotter than my normal hot. I feel like I'm burning up and my skin goes all prickly and painful.

Why do I feel hot but have no fever?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-do-i-feel-hot-but-no-fever

Machka in Oz

I'm sorry you're feeling particularly uncomfortable with heat. My momma had a hard time with hot flashes, and I think the nape of her short haircut was always damp from it. When I had " my hot flashes era" I remember at night it would wash over me like a itchy wool blanket. My mouth and brain felt fuzzy, and I felt claustrophobic with it all! I would have to get up, and have a mental chat with myself, drink cold water,band just try to breathe. Now that I am thru that era, I am always cold with purple-y looking toes and fingers. Once I take a hot shower I'm good. Hugs to you!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

That's a really good description! It is like a prickly, itchy wool blanket on a very hot day ... and I hadn't thought of it as feeling claustrophobic, but it is. I feel much better if I can get up and even just pace about a bit.

It's the worst during my 45-60 minute bus rides. The buses are so hot with no ventilation anyway and then I go through a series of those things and of course, I can't get up and move.

M in Oz

Oh man that would be awful, getting it on a bus! Hugs! I guess I was lucky that way, because it was only at night. Also the claustrophobic sensation was because it was dark. So I remember getting up, getting a glass of something turning on the living room light to just distract me, and calm myself down. I don't think I ever got my hot flashes during the day, because for the most part Vacaville CA was just hot anyway. Maybe I just didnt notice it? Who knows!
    Rebecca

I'm hot all day and night ... and then even hotter when I have the hot flashes which occur mainly in the day. I get 2 or 3 at night, but they come much more frequently in the day.

In a 1-hour bus ride, I will usually have at least 2 ... as well as feeling hot and uncomfortable in general.

At work or at home, they come about once an hour ... burning, painful, nauseating, and claustrophobic.

Fortunately, I have a desk fan at work which is on all day and takes some of the heat off.

Today's bus ride to work was actually pretty good. It was a cool morning and fortunately, the driver did not decide to crank the heat up to 30 degrees to compensate. He had it at quite a reasonable temperature. That made a big difference ... and I only had 1 hot flash just a few minutes before we reached my destination.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    You are supposed to wipe down the paint jars after every time you use them. No one does and she never says something. You are supposed to wipe down the table where you painted and the chair. Guess what doesn’t get done?
    Michele NC

Are you setting a good example and doing your area. :)

We should all be in the habit of cleaning now.

• Machka9
    edited March 2021
    Allie - I think I would enjoy cooking when I have the time. It’s just too much now, I don’t even sit down for 2 minutes after work and I’m being asked “what’s for supper”?
    I need recipes though, I’m not a throw it together type.

Tracey in Edmonton

That's where I find slow cookers to be great.

You've commented that you don't have much to do in an evening. With a slow cooker, you can cut up the veg, cook the meat, and toss it all in together to simmer in the evening after dinner.

I use these McCormick Slow Cooker recipe bases. They have a recipe on the back to help you out ... although I usually add more things.
    https://www.mccormick.com.au/products/create-a-meal/slow-cookers

4i9gdae5at1z.pngz6d5y7neqddi.png

(and more!)

Later in the evening, after simmering for 2 or 3 hours, the slow cooker pot gets cooled and goes into the fridge. Then the next day, someone (husband sitting at home) pops it into the slow cooker base and starts it up again ... and when you get home, it is ready to serve with some 90 second heat-and-serve rice.

One full pot usually does us for 2 meals.

Oh, I usually use chicken mince or TVP because I don't like chicken pieces.

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌜😴💛
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We keep eating very simple here. Our big meal is in the middle of the day and we discuss what it will be. We have about a dozen meals that we rotate. The other meals are all "find it and fix it". We plan the grocery list so we have food for both of us on hand all the time.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

This is very similar to Mitch and I.Our big meal is around 3ish and we plan something together. All other meals are whatever we each want and whenever we feel like eating. I follow IF and don't eat until 10 or 11am and finish for the day around 5pm. Mitch does all shopping since COVID and goes to Sam's Club, Kroger or Aldi depending on needs and sales. I'll add on to our daughters Walmart grocery pickup on Sat if necessary. This works for us in our lives now and is stress free!

Cheri
    College Station TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
  • Machka9
    A little something I posted last year this time. It was marvellous to walk into a place ... and it smelled clean ... and the surfaces looked clean!

I had to wonder how long it had been since some of those places (shops, buses, etc.) had been cleaned ... and I fear now that people are losing the momentum a bit.

bglecr51aezj.png
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    A weight off my shoulders! Figured out program so I can do some work from home. Almost all Caught up on work paperwork -13 1/2 hours but just about there! Was rainy and windy today, so not a bad day to be working in my comfies.
    Yesterday, enjoyed time in sunshine with husband. We hung new lights on deck and took the Shelby out for dinner. Relaxing.
    Sleepy now and eyes hurt.
    I love you all! You are AMAZING WOMEN!
    😗
    Kylia sleepy in Ohio
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    CJ—Welcome! Share what you want about yourself. Many of us appreciate the support freely given here. ❤️
  • Machka9
    euhb2n3ep5a4.png

In a couple days @barbiecat will start a new thread for April, here in this Motivation and Support subforum.

We look forward to seeing you all there! :)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    CJ - welcome back! So sorry for all you've gone thru. Hope you come back often.

Michele NC