GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,157 Member
    Options
    Li'l bit of back work...
    71gd3l6x5st8.gif

How are the pull-ups coming ?

Doesn't feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I think I was too random in my attempts to progress, so I switched to a pullups app that does 5 sets with one min rest in between and adds reps daily if it's easy... I'll see if that helps. When I get to being able to do 5 banded in a row for a few sets, I'll decrease the assistance.

I think I'm getting stronger, but still feel like I have a long way to go. Sigh.

It's silly how this makes me feel so feeble. 🙄
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Li'l bit of back work...
    71gd3l6x5st8.gif

Doesn't feel like I'm making a lot of progress. I think I was too random in my attempts to progress, so I switched to a pullups app that does 5 sets with one min rest in between and adds reps daily if it's easy... I'll see if that helps. When I get to being able to do 5 banded in a row for a few sets, I'll decrease the assistance.

I think I'm getting stronger, but still feel like I have a long way to go. Sigh.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here. It’s the general concept of any 5x5 routine.

This is going to sound dumb but the most progress I ever saw with pull-ups was one year in college when a roommate bought a cheap doorframe one and had it up perpetually on his bedroom door. Most of the time I'd walk past his room back I'd do a couple and quickly realized I was getting way better at them (this was regrettably before I was lifting with any sort of direction or regularity). I say all this to lend some credence to the thought of doing some reps daily to try and improve.

Spot on!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Li'l bit of back work...
    71gd3l6x5st8.gif

Li'l bit of back work...
    71gd3l6x5st8.gif

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here. It’s the general concept of any 5x5 routine.

This is going to sound dumb but the most progress I ever saw with pull-ups was one year in college when a roommate bought a cheap doorframe one and had it up perpetually on his bedroom door. Most of the time I'd walk past his room back I'd do a couple and quickly realized I was getting way better at them (this was regrettably before I was lifting with any sort of direction or regularity). I say all this to lend some credence to the thought of doing some reps daily to try and improve.

Spot on!

Thank you both!

I used to have a doorframe thing up for chinups, it's just so low that I don't like it much. That said... I just put it back to work on the negatives.

I will get this!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,826 Member
    Options
    Amazing job Everyone :):):)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Li'l bit of back work...
    71gd3l6x5st8.gif

I used to do something like this as well. I'd start with a set of amrap, and then just a few every time I passed the room. I kept tally marks on the calendar to keep count. Saturday was pull-up day. I think I had one day with around 60 pullups.
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Freaky shoulder muscles? Lol

covyxwgkit3y.gif

I think my form needs work, too.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

covyxwgkit3y.gif

What’s your complaint about your shoulders?
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

covyxwgkit3y.gif

I don't think it's a complaint as much as a weird fascination with how the muscles jump around. Lol

I just got a massive mirror given to me so I saw it for the first time and was a bit (happily) startled.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

covyxwgkit3y.gif

I don't think it's a complaint as much as a weird fascination with how the muscles jump around. Lol

I just got a massive mirror given to me so I saw it for the first time and was a bit (happily) startled.

I read that wrong. I read that as “freaking shoulder muscles”. I think the shoulders look strong.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

covyxwgkit3y.gif

I read that wrong. I read that as “freaking shoulder muscles”. I think the shoulders look strong.

Thank you! 😊
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited March 2021
    Options
    As for the form, you lend a little bit too far to the back at the top, making your back curve, aka cranking the weight.
    How is your stance?

A good way to fix this, is stand with 1 feet in front of the other, preferable your weaker leg in front, if you want to make it easy, or stronger leg in front to make it a little harder.

If that doesn't work, my coach always told me to lower the weight untill i got it right, better lower weight with good form, rather than high weight with bad form.

Also, for this particular exercise, you do not need to extend your arms fully at the bottem, you can have a little bend in the elbow. Because now at the start, your elbos push back, behind your back as well, making the ROM kinda useless.
    Your elbows should not be moving back and forward, this indicates you are doing too heavy, which can lead to injuries in the long run

Do you have microplates Sandy? If not, i suggest getting them. It's a game changer for sure

My stance is just feet shoulder width apart, so I'll try your recommendation. I have 2.5s so I can drop the weight down by 5 and focus on the changes you recommend. I'll also work on keeping my arms tight to my sides and minimizing the movement. :)

Thank you so much for this feedback, it's much appreciated! :smiley:

eta... I tend to have a pretty pronounced lower back curve too, so I'll try to focus on tilting the pelvis, tucking my butt in, and reducing that curve. :-P
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for the posterior clavicle not getting bruised during back squats? I was ok until the weight got to 145 and now it just rubs that bone and gets so sore. I do have a thick bar pad for hip thrusts, but it feels very awkward and unstable(to me personally) to use it for squats. I've been wearing a t shirt, but it's not enough.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Any suggestions for the posterior clavicle not getting bruised during back squats? I was ok until the weight got to 145 and now it just rubs that bone and gets so sore. I do have a thick bar pad for hip thrusts, but it feels very awkward and unstable(to me personally) to use it for squats. I've been wearing a t shirt, but it's not enough.

I find that when I squeeze my shoulder blades back and down, the meat of the traps rises up and pads the shoulder bones a bit. I also find that when I am starting back, there is a period where I feel a little bit of bruising until my body gets accustomed to it.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,368 Member
    Options

What helped for me, when i got higher in weight, is wrap a towel around the bar.
    I tried to use a bar pad in beginning as well, but it felt very awkward as well, felt like it could slide off my back (not sure how else to describe it)

So i brought myself an extra towel, wrapped it around the bar, and it felt much better
    In beginning it still can be a bit sore or feel bruised, but after doing it for 2 weeks i did not feel that anymore
    Options
    As for the form, you lend a little bit too far to the back at the top, making your back curve, aka cranking the weight.
    How is your stance?

A good way to fix this, is stand with 1 feet in front of the other, preferable your weaker leg in front, if you want to make it easy, or stronger leg in front to make it a little harder.

If that doesn't work, my coach always told me to lower the weight untill i got it right, better lower weight with good form, rather than high weight with bad form.

Also, for this particular exercise, you do not need to extend your arms fully at the bottem, you can have a little bend in the elbow. Because now at the start, your elbos push back, behind your back as well, making the ROM kinda useless.
    Your elbows should not be moving back and forward, this indicates you are doing too heavy, which can lead to injuries in the long run

Do you have microplates Sandy? If not, i suggest getting them. It's a game changer for sure

My stance is just feet shoulder width apart, so I'll try your recommendation. I have 2.5s so I can drop the weight down by 5 and focus on the changes you recommend. I'll also work on keeping my arms tight to my sides and minimizing the movement. :)

eta... I tend to have a pretty pronounced lower back curve too, so I'll try to focus on tilting the pelvis, tucking my butt in, and reducing that curve. :-P

You might wanna invest in microplates if the lowest is 2.5 (lbs or kg?)
    My lowest is 0,125 kg i can add (so 0,25 kg on bar), and that was such a game changer for me

Instead of adding 2,5 kg everytime and then hit a plateau, or break it, but next week it was too heavy again, and thus struggling to make any real progress (load/deload a lot)
    I now can add 0,25 kg on a bar, and progress for 10 weeks, instead of struggling for 10 weeks.
    It has progressed my bench press from 27,5 kg (yep i am weak) up to 50 kg in 5 months time
    While i was struggling so much to get my 5x5 on +30kg for almost 4 months

And tilting the pelvis could definatly help with the back part

You are welcome, always willing to advice where i can, even though i am not your fit and bulky guy, doesn't mean i am clueless 😉
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    How is your stance?

My lowest is 0,125 kg i can add (so 0,25 kg on bar), and that was such a game changer for me

Instead of adding 2,5 kg everytime and then hit a plateau, or break it, but next week it was too heavy again, and thus struggling to make any real progress (load/deload a lot)
    I now can add 0,25 kg on a bar, and progress for 10 weeks, instead of struggling for 10 weeks.
    It has progressed my bench press from 27,5 kg (yep i am weak) up to 50 kg in 5 months time

You are welcome, always willing to advice where i can, even though i am not your fit and bulky guy, doesn't mean i am clueless 😉

Miine are in lbs... so my smallest plates are 2.5lbs. I have been watching for 1.25s but havent seen any local and really think it's BS how much they're charging for weight online. I keep hoping that prices will drop a bit... soon! lol
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    How is your stance?

Miine are in lbs... so my smallest plates are 2.5lbs. I have been watching for 1.25s but havent seen any local and really think it's BS how much they're charging for weight online. I keep hoping that prices will drop a bit... soon! lol

The lowest I’ve seen are also 2.5 in lbs
    edited March 2021
    Options
    How is your stance?

Yeah true about the prices right now, ridiculous. I bought mine pre-covid and prices now are almost 4 time as high
    And i bought mine from Rogue fitness.
    I bought a set of micro plates (up to 2.5 kg each side) for little under € 50,-
    Now you pay € 15 for 2 0,125 kg plates...it's insane
    Options
    How is your stance?

The lowest I’ve seen are also 2.5 in lbs

tklfi289kiq0.png
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Are you low bar or high bar squatting. I used to be a huge fan of the high bar until weight started going up and I was bruising/hurting traps and shoulders. I switched to low bar and it mad all of the difference.

Alan Thrall does a good job (though this is a lengthy video) of technique on with low bar. https://youtu.be/vmNPOjaGrVE

Also this one (8:24 mark talks a bit about high and low bar)
    https://youtu.be/UFs6E3Ti1jg

May be more information than you need, but if you haven't tried low bar that may be a solution without adding a pad or towel, or if you are you could try high bar as an option.

Of course it's all a personal preference.