Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

vaccinations/health care and product promotions.

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    This thread is pretty sad and when my turn to be vaccinated came up I could not get to the centre for mine quick enough. I was just grateful to have it.

And I can report to any and all conspiracy theorists that while my reception of 5G may have improved I am not yet dead. :D

I do not need to be bribed to vote either.

Why is it sad? What is sad?

Nobody posting in it, as far as I could see, was against getting vaccinated

Nor was anyone suggesting any conspiracy theories - not sure where you are getting that from or why you are bringing it in :*

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    This thread is pretty sad and when my turn to be vaccinated came up I could not get to the centre for mine quick enough. I was just grateful to have it.

And I can report to any and all conspiracy theorists that while my reception of 5G may have improved I am not yet dead. :D

Nor was anyone suggesting any conspiracy theories - not sure where you are getting that from or why you are bringing it in :*

I have already answered the first question that in my last post. As for conspiracy theories, I admit I was making an assumption that's the reason people are not hammering down the door to get their jab without being bribed. If that is not the case then why are the bribes necessary?????

And to be clear - I was referring specifically to the discussion here re bribes, which IS sad. The bribes that is.... not the discussion.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

People are fined for not voting. There are exemptions eg ill on the day, religious reasons.
    The same way you force people to wear seat belts etc - you promote the message that it is a community responsibility and you fine people if they do not comply.

Interesting. Here you are encouraged to vote, it's your civic duty, etc but it's entirely voluntary. And I always have to produce proof of identity, age and residence, which some people in different circumstances just don't have.

Although I suppose anyone who had an objection to voting could always dodge the fine by showing up and simply turning in a spoiled or blank ballot (assuming you vote by secret ballot like we do).
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

I have already answered the first question that in my last post. As for conspiracy theories, I admit I was making an assumption that's the reason people are not hammering down the door to get their jab without being bribed. If that is not the case then why are the bribes necessary?????

And to be clear - I was referring specifically to the discussion here re bribes, which IS sad. The bribes that is.... not the discussion.

A free donut is not a bribe. It’s just a corporation capitalizing on current events and looking for some news coverage.

Someone who believes conspiracy theories is not going to be influenced by a donut.
  • paperpudding
    Options

A free donut is not a bribe. It’s just a corporation capitalizing on current events and looking for some news coverage.

Someone who believes conspiracy theories is not going to be influenced by a donut.

Yes even me who started the thread and with whom most posters are disagreeing (that's fine, its been a interesting discussion) - does not see KK as being part of some conspiracy or donuts as influencing or bribing people to vaccinate.

and as has been pointed out ,one can get the free donut without being vaccinated.

• paperpudding
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

People are fined for not voting. There are exemptions eg ill on the day, religious reasons.
    The same way you force people to wear seat belts etc - you promote the message that it is a community responsibility and you fine people if they do not comply.

Interesting. Here you are encouraged to vote, it's your civic duty, etc but it's entirely voluntary. And I always have to produce proof of identity, age and residence, which some people in different circumstances just don't have.

Although I suppose anyone who had an objection to voting could always dodge the fine by showing up and simply turning in a spoiled or blank ballot (assuming you vote by secret ballot like we do).

You do not have to have proof of identity - you just get your name and address (and DOB?? having mental blank about whether they ask for that) crossed off the voting list at the venue.

Yes, to be exact, voting is not compulsory - getting your name crossed off list and putting a voting slip in the box is. (or returning via postal vote if you are eligible to do that)
    There is nothing to stop you putting in a blank or not filled in properly slip.

and of course there are exemptions - temporary ones if you have a medical emergency or go into early labour or something like that. And you can vote early or apply for postal vote if you have planned surgery, working on the day or something.
    And permanant ones if you have dementia or an intellectual disability or suchlike.

Elections are always on a Saturday here - so most people are not working.
    But big industrial sites, hospitals etc who have lots of shift workers will have voting venues on site.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options

It's not a bribe. No one is likely to get vaccinated because of a donut. I don't think even KK is delusional enough to believe they would. Maybe think of it as a reward to people for doing something good? Nah, even that's going too far. It's a way for KK to promote themselves, and suggest that they support the vaccination initiative, yay them (they think).

At this point, at least in my part of the US, people *are* hammering down the door to get their vaccination. There are more people wanting vaccination than there is vaccine supply (in a practical sense). There are some people who have logistical issues that have prevented their being vaccinated (transportation, work schedules, etc.), and efforts are under way to reach them. There are people who are vaccine hesitant, i.e., may be persuaded, but waiting to see how it goes for others. There are efforts underway to reach them, too. There are people who are vaccine hostile, who're unlikely to get the vaccine no matter what. None of the above are being influenced by a donut, even a daily donut.

Who *might* be influenced by a daily donut? I dunno, maybe indigent homeless people who live rough somewhere near a KK store, yet have the ability to deal with the transportation and other logistics to get the shots, but who might otherwise not be motivated to bother, but would because that daily donut is meaningful food to them? Maybe not even them. For sure, not very many people.

What a peculiar idea, that it's either intended as a bribe, or would be an effective one, IMO.

I feel like there's quite a lot of people here not understanding other countries' cultures, talking past each other.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Definitely a secret ballot. For those who don't want to vote but do turn out to avoid the fine, they would probably do what is called a donkey vote or perhaps turn in a blank or spoiled form.

Some people delay registering at the electoral office as long as they can, not on the electoral register means they avoid a fine for not voting. Typically unregistered people who would be eligible to vote are picked up in the census every four years or when the electoral office does doorknocks/audits on towns/cities etc.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Why is it sad?

You don't think it is a sorry state of affairs that in a country where people are entitled to a free vaccination, one that is being shown to be both safe and effective, they are having to be bribed with donuts to take it?

I'm dubious that anyone is deciding to get the vaccine because they'll get a .99 donut. It's more like "recognition" or "promotion" than a literal bribe.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Why is it sad?

You don't think it is a sorry state of affairs that in a country where people are entitled to a free vaccination, one that is being shown to be both safe and effective, they are having to be bribed with donuts to take it?

Umm, no one has said this has happened (and I'm not convinced the vaccine resistance is necessarily worse than in many other countries where there are similar issues, including in Europe).

To recap, KK has decided that it would be a good marketing strategy for them to give a free donut per day to anyone who shows up with proof of vaccination. This is likely because, as with any giveaway, most people entitled don't come, and those who do tend to buy other things (and donuts are cheap, not really a great "bribe"). One thing this indicates is that KK doesn't think the vaccine resistance is great enough to create any backlash.

As we have been discussing, there are lots of similar marketing efforts tied to health promotions or other public spirited things, and what paperpudding is objecting to (I think) is KK trying to get stolen valor by connecting itself undeservedly to the vaccine effort.

There is absolutely zero in this discussion to support a takeaway that the US gov't is BRIBING people to get vaccinated with donuts (which would be ridiculous and would not work). KK isn't bribing people, it's trying to make money and generally support a positive health effort.

For the record, I don't like KKs or even donuts in general all that much (although if I had a donut it wouldn't be KK) and won't go get a free donut, so this is no apology for KK, which I think is weirdly overrated.
  • lemurcat2
    edited April 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's not a bribe. No one is likely to get vaccinated because of a donut. I don't think even KK is delusional enough to believe they would. Maybe think of it as a reward to people for doing something good? Nah, even that's going too far. It's a way for KK to promote themselves, and suggest that they support the vaccination initiative, yay them (they think).

At this point, at least in my part of the US, people *are* hammering down the door to get their vaccination. There are more people wanting vaccination than there is vaccine supply (in a practical sense). There are some people who have logistical issues that have prevented their being vaccinated (transportation, work schedules, etc.), and efforts are under way to reach them. There are people who are vaccine hesitant, i.e., may be persuaded, but waiting to see how it goes for others. There are efforts underway to reach them, too. There are people who are vaccine hostile, who're unlikely to get the vaccine no matter what. None of the above are being influenced by a donut, even a daily donut.

Who *might* be influenced by a daily donut? I dunno, maybe indigent homeless people who live rough somewhere near a KK store, yet have the ability to deal with the transportation and other logistics to get the shots, but who might otherwise not be motivated to bother, but would because that daily donut is meaningful food to them? Maybe not even them. For sure, not very many people.

What a peculiar idea, that it's either intended as a bribe, or would be an effective one, IMO.

I feel like there's quite a lot of people here not understanding other countries' cultures, talking past each other.

Yes, in most of the heavily populated areas of the US, demand is still far outweighing supply. I know A LOT of people who are desperate to get vaccinated. Some are still not eligible here, and even those that are have to spend hours upon hours trying to secure an appointment. My husband drove 4 hours round-trip to get his...he'll have to go back to the same site for Dose 2.

So, it's a little insulting when I read someone say that people can only be convinced to get the vaccine if they are "bribed". It's simply false.

Yes, I even know people who drove from Chicago to Quincy (300 miles each way, for those not local) to get it. It's getting better currently (not only are 1c able to get it, but many more appointments and opportunities are opening up -- I was able to get it (shot 1, and an appt for 2) because of a ward event), but many more people still want to be vaccinated than have been able to so far. How many people are going to resist will be better able to be determined once we don't have more wanting a shot than appointments.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options

In the US, I would compare this to, say, KK giving a free donut on election day (again, at their stores) or the day after to anyone who showed their "I voted" sticker, and just as I have no issue with this, I would have no issue with that, although donuts have 0 to do with voting.

I take offense to this good sir. No one will ever take my donuts away from my democracy! :D;)

(I think Friday is getting to me now)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    If they can take away the booze and cakes, we can take away hypothetical donuts:

https://vinepair.com/articles/history-voting-alcohol-america/

"In 1811, Maryland passed the first campaign finance reform law ever, “[prohibiting] candidates from purchasing alcohol for voters.” Over time, states also began to ban the sale of alcohol on Election Day itself. Most have since dropped that practice...."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-drunk-vote/537891/

“In many counties the candidates would hire all the groceries in the county seats and other considerable villages, where the people could get liquor without cost for several weeks before election,” a former governor of Illinois recalled."

It wasn't an American-specific thing, though: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-34987232

"This public system of voting [in the UK] had left electors wide open to bribery and intimidation, for example mobs might be brought to polls to bully the voters. In contrast elections could be like a party, where candidates 'rewarded' their voters with large amounts of alcohol....

[When secret voting was instituted,] [o]bservers said they had never seen "a contested election in which less intoxicating liquor was drunk', and that the town was so quiet and orderly that "it hardly seemed like an election" at all."

This is all about the booze, but treating with cakes and such was also popular.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Lol, lemur.

I can honestly say I've never made any of my many life-mistakes after eating cake.

I wish I could say the same for Tequila. Seems like I might have voted for someone who bought me drinks back in the 1970s.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Lol, lemur.

I can honestly say I've never made any of my many life-mistakes after eating cake.

I wish I could say the same for Tequila. Seems like I might have voted for someone who bought me drinks back in the 1970s.

Tequila is not your friend. 😬 Cake definitely is. ☺️
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You know, I've thought a little more about it and honestly I'm surprised I don't see more "free stuff with proof of vaccination" promos, but maybe summer will bring a tidal wave of free tchotchkes and appetizers at all the restaurants it'll be safe to go to again when more people are vaxed.

All of those businesses, KK included, are banking on people getting to the store and deciding to buy something else in addition to getting their freebie. Get your free donut and ~treat yo'self~ to a coffee to go with. Enjoy a nice dinner for two at Outback and get a free bloomin' onion (which is a promo they would run basically every other month, it seems like, in normal times). Come to Disney with proof of vaccination and get a free Mickey hat. People are just astoundingly easy to manipulate when they think they're getting a deal. There's been studies about this and everything. It's the same principle behind offering a free drink/dessert/cookie/whatever on your birthday, or offering free kids' meals on certain days of the week, or offering a discount to certain groups (seniors, military, service industry, teachers, etc). If you don't have a reason to patronize a given store/restaurant, they'll give you one - even though the "better deal" for you the consumer is to not buy anything at all, it feels like a good deal to be told you get 15% off if you shop on Tuesday mornings because you're over 65.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    it feels like a good deal to be told you get 15% off if you shop on Tuesday mornings because you're over 65.

Now hold up cowboy.

That really IS a good deal. I do that one at my local store (only it's over 55.) That is a great deal on groceries. I would have bought the stuff anyway.

However, the $12 off if you spend $120, though it sounds good really isn't because I would normally spend $90 and I go looking for $30 more stuff to buy so I save $12. That's not right. Unless it's stuff I would have bought anyway only later. Like TP in the 200 pack.

The trick is to not get tricked.

"The more you buy the more you save."

Wait.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    it feels like a good deal to be told you get 15% off if you shop on Tuesday mornings because you're over 65.

However, the $12 off if you spend $120, though it sounds good really isn't because I would normally spend $90 and I go looking for $30 more stuff to buy so I save $12. That's not right. Unless it's stuff I would have bought anyway only later. Like TP in the 200 pack.

Math is hard.

:)

FWIW, I don't see a problem with companies giving out freebies in the name of the vaccine.

1. Free always tastes better.
    2. Maybe it *will* be incentive for some people to go get vaccinated.
    3. They're businesses and, yep, you walk into an establishment and get your freebie, chances are you'll end up spending some real money too.
    4. Free always tastes better.