Half Marathon training support group?

Options

Replies

• runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Very good info runnerdad!! Thanks! I am a very consistent 5mph runner(jogger). I have a hard time picking it up even though I probably could push a bit harder. Part of it for me is that I train in a small hilly town, no way to find just a flat course, which is good for training but makes me always wary of tiring out too soon and having to walk. I am one of those who finds it hard to run after slowing to a walk. Anyway, I got in a nice 6.5 miles today. Cool to start at only 5 degrees C, but beautiful with the mist rising off the river!!

They say 'if you always run the same (12 minute) pace, you will always run the same (12 minute) pace'. Said another way, if you don't work at pushing the pace, you will never get faster, no matter how much you run. The beauty of interval work is that you don't have to run long periods at the higher effort. Just pick a time interval or distance you find manageable. like 2 minutes hard, one minute jog / walk recovery, or 400 m hard 200 m recovery, Gradually increase to ratio of hard/recovery, or increase the distance of the work interval. I am also one of those who find it hard to get going again after a walk break. I find the key is to not take too long a break. Your recovery period should never be longer than 1/2 your work interval. When you get to longer intervals, like running a whole mile, let's say at 10-11 minute pace, I wouldn't rest longer than 4 minutes. You want to recover but not fall into cool down.
  • kated930
    Options
    So today is a rest day, I had an awesome 8 mile run yesterday. Today, my right knee feels tight. Whenever I squat down or bend it feels tight, not so painful.... but it doesn't feel good. Does this happen to anyone? This has never happened to me so I'm a bit worried!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just made it through week 2 of my plan! Coming off vacation/traveling, and then my busy work week I've had to juggle the days a lot, but I'm proud to say I didn't miss one! I also figured out that I ran 19.5 miles this week!
    Yesterdays LSR was only 6 miles, but since I ran it after working a busy 12 hour shift at work, it wasn't my best and I just kinda felt lousy. Resting today was a welcome treat.

Intervals and tempo runs are definitely key for increasing your pace. I usually do mine of the treadmill, so I know I am maintaining the pace for the set amount of time or distance.
    When I first started running I had a 13:30 to 14:00 min/mile... super slow, but through interval training, now I have a solid (and to me, more respectable) 12:00 min/mile pace. Still slow, but I am interested to see how much quicker my 5k pace gets after the end of the HM program.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    10 miles this morning, next weekend is the Air Force Half!! So excited :) Ran my last mile in 9:06, just because I knew I could. Happy Saturday everyone!!

Excellent! Good Luck!
  • runnerdad
    Options
    So today is a rest day, I had an awesome 8 mile run yesterday. Today, my right knee feels tight. Whenever I squat down or bend it feels tight, not so painful.... but it doesn't feel good. Does this happen to anyone? This has never happened to me so I'm a bit worried!

It happens to me as I start to build up my mileage. Initially, it was due to not having the right shoe. If you have a flat foot and tend to pronate heavily, it can really stress your knees. Now it is usually a sign that my shoe has reached it's life expectancy and is no longer giving the proper support. Some ice, ibuprofen and good stretching usually resolves the tightness.
  • kated930
    Options

It happens to me as I start to build up my mileage. Initially, it was due to not having the right shoe. If you have a flat foot and tend to pronate heavily, it can really stress your knees. Now it is usually a sign that my shoe has reached it's life expectancy and is no longer giving the proper support. Some ice, ibuprofen and good stretching usually resolves the tightness.

Thanks for your help! My sneakers are new from the summer, so it probably isn't the shoes. Last night I iced and took some advil, this morning it felt better, I did my 5 miles already and it didn't bother me at all, so who knows.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I agree with the pacing info Runnerdad has given! The only way I have been able to increase my pace is to push hard with the speed training and tempo runs.

I had a long run yesterday. 11 miles through beautiful Cades Cove, TN. Those hills kill me, but I am so grateful for hilly training runs. It was the perfect day!

Next week I am going to run 8-9 miles and then do 5-6 the week before my half. I'm only 3 weeks away now!

today is a rest day and I am thankful!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday folks! Enjoyed the rest day yesterday after running 10 miles on Saturday. My legs were thankful for the break. Ready to get back out and run today! I need to get in a minimum of 25 miles this week. Going to do 3 miles HIIT at the outdoor track this evening after work.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me too, so just did a four mile walk. That's rest, right? :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!! I took the weekend to rest and started with 4 miles today. My knee ankle felt better! YAY!
    Hope everyone has a great week!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have RIPPED class tonight, tomorrow is 6 easy miles, Wed/rest or wii zumba, Thu 3 easy miles, Fri rest or a couple miles to loosen up, Saturday...HALF MARATHON!!! YEAH!!

<<<---Like my shirt I made? The back says: Running for a whine free morning & a wine filled evening!

The sleeve has a 13.1 on it :)
  • 27strange
    Options
    I have RIPPED class tonight, tomorrow is 6 easy miles, Wed/rest or wii zumba, Thu 3 easy miles, Fri rest or a couple miles to loosen up, Saturday...HALF MARATHON!!! YEAH!!

<<<---Like my shirt I made? The back says: Running for a whine free morning & a wine filled evening!

The sleeve has a 13.1 on it :)

Cool Shirt!!!! Good luck on the 1/2M this weekend!
  • slb106
    Options
    I had a great 9 mile run yesterday. I have swimming tonight, but I think I'll just use arms to give my legs a break! 3 more weeks until my half!!
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Did Zumba Saturday(cross train day) then 4 miles Sun and 3 miles plus cool down today. Feeling better. Didn't get sore after my eight miles last week. Schedule says to do a 5k this week for long run, but since I don't have one near by I might just do 8 again or 9 if I am feeling saucy! Ha! Good luck everyone.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Curlytop, I'm doing Jeff Galloway's run/walk and it suits me down to the ground. I'm a very slow runner so I'm using the ratio R2/W1 minute.

Here's what he recommends:
    Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Of course, if you do the math, to average 8 min/mile, you have to do the run portion at about 6:45 pace, which I would guess would be hard for many on this thread to maintain for 4 minutes (maybe not, just saying).

That's what I was thinking too. If you are going to run an 8 minute mile then running 4 min then walking 35sec then running again would put you either over 8 min miles or practially sprintining for 4 minutes, ha ha. We'll see. I might try it again on this week's long run. Also, are you supposed to do it on shorter runs too or just the long run? Seems like if you are only don't 3 or 4 miles there would be no need. I don't know.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nice easy 30 min run around the burb this morning.
    I'm rather stiff at the moment, all my old injuries seem to be aching just to annoy me - ankle, knee, back, neck..... it's probably a combo of being back in the office at the computer after being off work for a few weeks and wearing different (summery!) day time shoes.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Curlytop, I'm doing Jeff Galloway's run/walk and it suits me down to the ground. I'm a very slow runner so I'm using the ratio R2/W1 minute.

Here's what he recommends:
    Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
    8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
    9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
    10 min/mi—-3:1
    11 min/mi—2:30-1
    12 min/mi—-2:1
    13 min/mi—-1:1
    14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
    15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
    16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

Of course, if you do the math, to average 8 min/mile, you have to do the run portion at about 6:45 pace, which I would guess would be hard for many on this thread to maintain for 4 minutes (maybe not, just saying).

That's what I was thinking too. If you are going to run an 8 minute mile then running 4 min then walking 35sec then running again would put you either over 8 min miles or practially sprintining for 4 minutes, ha ha. We'll see. I might try it again on this week's long run. Also, are you supposed to do it on shorter runs too or just the long run? Seems like if you are only don't 3 or 4 miles there would be no need. I don't know.

I think on the Galloway program, you always run/walk, even for 3 mile runs. Pet peeve - Galloway runners ahead of you during a 5K race who run for 2 minutes, and just when you are finding your stride and your place in the pack, their timer goes off and they stop dead in their tracks and you practically pull a groin to avoid running them over. I mean, if you know you're going to stop, you think they would stay on the edge of the pack, so they don't block other runners when they stop,
  • 27strange
    Options
    Had an interval day today. 1 mile warm-up, 2 miles HIIT, 1 mile cool down. I used to despise doing intervals - sprinting, walking, sprinting, walking - but I have learned it really helps improve speed and stamina. Also its a great calorie burn! My quick warm-up mile I ran in under 7:30. I hadn't run a mile that fast in about 10 years (since high school)!!! Felt pretty awesome!

What do I love about running? There is always a challenge to conquer always a goal to obtain. Go faster, longer, improve breathing, improve technique, and so forth.

Keep up the good work!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Did a brisk 4.5 mile walk with a friend this morning, and will do my 3 mile training run in a bit. Will ride my horse later as well. Busy day!
  • slb106
    Options
    Anyone else run about a 10 or 11 minute mile for long runs? I'm very consistent with my pace, but I'm not very fast and I'm beginning to worry that I'll be the slowest one by far during my race. Being my first half, I wanted to concentrate on just completing the miles and then focus more on speed for the next one.