Ask me anything - nutrition coach

Replies

• MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    How much strength training do you need to do to make a difference over time? My goal is health - not strength, not thinness, just health. Should I be aiming for a certain number of minutes of strength training each week?
  • sandboxfitness
    sandboxfitness Posts: 69 Member
    I have a question about my calories and building weight, so I'm currently running around 4 miles a day just added 1 more today to make it 5 and I'm not sure if I'm getting enough calories. my husband says I'm not my deficit runs around 500 + i'm not necessarily wanting to lose more weight but am trying to tone up and get rid of my stubborn MoMA pooch do I need to add more calories (basically what is a good calorie deficit to stick to to help gain muscles)

A lot of people don’t understand this concept.
    Let me clarify few things.
    1st toning requires weight lifting, no questions asked
    2nd toning up also requires you to lose fat 100%
    3rd to tone up; you need developed muscles under your fat tissue so when you lose the fat; the muscle will make you look toned. Which brings us back to point 1 and 2.

All cardio will do is make you look stringy and skinny fat. Can you lose fat doing only cardio, absolutely but would you look toned; NO.

Now, to figure out your calorie intake, fitness pal is the best app that does it. Open the app and put your details in, go to goals and put what your goal is; I recommend lose 1.5 lbs, then fitness pal will give you the calories you need to eat

Then you’ll go to your calories and change your macros %. 35% protein, 45% fat and 20% carbs. I like this breakdown personally but I would do what you want to eat more of but keep protein at 35%

I would suggest you start lifting 4 times a week before adding any cardio
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 815 Member
    Are full body workouts any good, or should I just focus on something like chest/triceps or bicep and shoulder workouts? I have three different full body workouts that I alternate every other day right now. I want to get stronger, but I would Really like to look better with my shirt off, tbh.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks for the offer!

What are easy core strengthening exercies I can do at home? I need to be mindful of spinal fusion c5 -c7 as well as recent shoulder surgery with bicep involvment and shoulder has now frozen.
    I walk alot and have noticed back discomfort which I am attributing to lack of movement in my arms as well as poor core strenght.

Thanks again!
  • sandboxfitness
    Are full body workouts any good, or should I just focus on something like chest/triceps or bicep and shoulder workouts? I have three different full body workouts that I alternate every other day right now. I want to get stronger, but I would Really like to look better with my shirt off, tbh.

any workout programs are good if you are consistent with them. Choose one and stick to it for 6 weeks and if you like it, continue with it

you can do upper body, lower body; upper body, lower body, rest for few, and repeat.

Take all your lifts to failure. 12-10 reps, life heavy with good form and keep your protein high.
    Thanks for the offer!

What are easy core strengthening exercies I can do at home? I need to be mindful of spinal fusion c5 -c7 as well as recent shoulder surgery with bicep involvment and shoulder has now frozen.
    I walk alot and have noticed back discomfort which I am attributing to lack of movement in my arms as well as poor core strenght.

Thanks again!
    Speedy recovery. I would do workouts that do not aggravate your injury. Only you can know what triggers your injuries. Work around them; don’t do something that puts more pressure on that shoulder or spine.

Regular Crunches, do them every 2 days. 100 every morning and leg raises 100 as well. Also do planks if your spine can handle it
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    A lot of people need guidance , and I’m here just to help you.

Ask me anything regarding nutrition, fitness, weight lifting.

Credential:
    Trained and coached 30+ clients with great results
    Retired Bodybuilder with 15+ experience with losing and gaining weight.

Ask away

Thanks for contributing Sandbox fitness. I've been 141lbs for one month, I'm also 5'6. No matter if my deficit is low or moderate. I haven't lost any pound. However I look different, like more compact. Also my pants size went down by an inch. I workout for 250 minutes most weeks. My goal is 72g protein and 150g carbs everyday. My calories are 1,410-1,660 perday. Could I be gaining muscle? I've only been in a deficit for one month. After coming off a 3week diet break. I do a lot of Pilates and body weight exercise with light weights of 21Lbs.
  • mylittlechocobo
    mylittlechocobo Posts: 9 Member
    Stats: 32F 5'6" 126lb
    Goal: Visible abs
    Program: Insanity workout program
    Calories/Macros: 1891Cal Carbs237 Fat49 Protein126 (Training Days)
    1513Cal Carbs113 Fat62 Protein126 (Rest Day)

Questions: #1 Is this a reasonable Calorie/Macro setup for my goal and workout routine?
    #2 While I find I can generally keep within the calories I find my fat macro is over my goal almost daily,
    usually ends up totaling about 70-80g average, how much of an effect with this have? Also I find I'm
    only reaching around 80-100g on protein again wondering if that will hurt my goals.
    #3 Is there anything I should be adding/changing routine or nutrition wise to reach my goal?

Side note: I don't have access to a gym, equipment or weights other than mini resistance bands and maybe using some water bottles as makeshift light weights. Any advice you have is much appreciated!
  • sandboxfitness
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I'm running my second Marathon in less than 5 weeks. What strength training exercises would you recommend, how often, how long? I loathe strength training and I barely do any, even though I know it would help.
    Problem is you only have 5 weeks...

I worked with a sprint runner in the past. so obviously he loved to sprint which gave him the best endurance.
    -So what I would do; I would train legs 2x a week,
    *squats
    *seated leg curls
    *leg presses
    *lying hamstring curls
    *jumping squats
    *lunges

and rest the week before the marathon.

-I would do High intensity sprints 20 seconds full speed sprint/40 seconds slow run and repeat. 4x a week then increase the sprint every week
    -your nutrition is also important
    1g of protein body weight to recover those fatigued muscles

To run far and fast; you have to fill up your glycogen in your muscle. Dextrose which is in Gatorade, glucose in starch rice, bread, pasta.. ect
    Especially the day before the marathon

Why would you have the OP run sprints less than 5 weeks from a marathon she has been training for? Nothing wrong with sprints, but really something someone should work up to over time looking at risk/reward especially this close to her event.

Nice article on sprinting by Eric Cressey, one of the best trainers around.

https://ericcressey.com/so-you-want-to-start-sprinting

Could also make a good case for skipping the weight work (unless she has been doing it for a while) this close to the marathon. Any strength increases will be immeasurable and again not a good risk/reward situation regarding possible injuries.

Looks good for after her race.

There’s no risks in sprinting on a bike or elliptical. All my clients do HIT and none of them get injured. she’s a runner, she’s been using to high impact exercises. the reward is 100% with zero injuries

Should I tell her not to drive to the race because she might get into an accident too? Or not exercise at all because risk for injuries ? that’s silly.
  • sandboxfitness
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I'm running my second Marathon in less than 5 weeks. What strength training exercises would you recommend, how often, how long? I loathe strength training and I barely do any, even though I know it would help.
    Problem is you only have 5 weeks...

I worked with a sprint runner in the past. so obviously he loved to sprint which gave him the best endurance.
    -So what I would do; I would train legs 2x a week,
    *squats
    *seated leg curls
    *leg presses
    *lying hamstring curls
    *jumping squats
    *lunges

and rest the week before the marathon.

-I would do High intensity sprints 20 seconds full speed sprint/40 seconds slow run and repeat. 4x a week then increase the sprint every week
    -your nutrition is also important
    1g of protein body weight to recover those fatigued muscles

To run far and fast; you have to fill up your glycogen in your muscle. Dextrose which is in Gatorade, glucose in starch rice, bread, pasta.. ect
    Especially the day before the marathon

Why would you have the OP run sprints less than 5 weeks from a marathon she has been training for? Nothing wrong with sprints, but really something someone should work up to over time looking at risk/reward especially this close to her event.

Nice article on sprinting by Eric Cressey, one of the best trainers around.

https://ericcressey.com/so-you-want-to-start-sprinting

Could also make a good case for skipping the weight work (unless she has been doing it for a while) this close to the marathon. Any strength increases will be immeasurable and again not a good risk/reward situation regarding possible injuries.

Looks good for after her race.

Do you have any experience or you’re just googling articles ?
  • sandboxfitness
    omfederico wrote: »
    It’s been maybe a week and I haven’t lost a single pound. I haven’t gone over my calorie intake and I have been exercising. What am I doing wrong?

It’s hard to tell you when I know nothing about your fitness plan or calorie intake
    But in general the scale is not a good measurement of progress; it’s one of the options to track progress but not the best.
    Take pictures every week and compare them together.
    If you started a weight lifting program when you start dieting; you could be gaining muscle mass especially if you worked out so little in the past.
    Maybe a week? Always weigh the same day every week upon waking up, weighing everyday will discourage you.
    Sometimes on paper the calorie intake is good but in real life it doesn’t translate.
    What I would do; finish the week strong; weigh in the morning : I would suggest Sunday, if you didn’t lose weight; I’d decrease 100 calories from carbs or add a cardio session of 30 min.

Rule of thumb; don’t drop calories unless your weight isn’t moving for 2 weeks

Most of this advice seems wrong to me.

Extremely unlikely poster will have gained significant muscle in a week.
    Scale is perfectly good way of recording your weight and hence your progress.
    Weighing daily or weekly is personal choice.

Extremely likely one week is just too short to assess progress - my advice is continue for another 3 weeks then review.

If still making no progress be prepared to open your diary and accept feedback

PS do you have any actual qualifications OP? What sort of qualification is needed to call yourself a nutrition coach?

I’m not going to debate this. It’s silly and you’re looking for an argument, this is my last reply to you. If you want help; I’ll be happy to help you.

Like I said before it’s hard to evaluate his weight loss when we know nothing about him/her nutrition. I also mentioned that there’s many reasons why there’s no weight loss. How do you know it’s only been a week ? You don’t; you’re assuming. That’s all we can do since there’s no info.

it’s silly you think ppl with certifications in nutrition or fitness training are good just because they took a test and studied for 6 weeks.
  • sandboxfitness

any workout programs are good if you are consistent with them. Choose one and stick to it for 6 weeks and if you like it, continue with it

you can do upper body, lower body; upper body, lower body, rest for few, and repeat.

Take all your lifts to failure. 12-10 reps, life heavy with good form and keep your protein high.
    Thanks for the offer!

Thanks again!
    Speedy recovery. I would do workouts that do not aggravate your injury. Only you can know what triggers your injuries. Work around them; don’t do something that puts more pressure on that shoulder or spine.

Regular Crunches, do them every 2 days. 100 every morning and leg raises 100 as well. Also do planks if your spine can handle it

Eeeeehhh taking all lifts to failure is sitting wrong with me, and seems like a recipe for injury. You do not need to lift to failure to progress or to gain strength; so long as you are employing progressive overload you will be progressing.

That’s a form of progressive overload; taking sets to failure. you can take a set to failure with lower weights; it’s the idea of stimulating the muscle so it can grow. injury only happens when you ego lift and lift weights you’re not able to lift.
  • sandboxfitness
    A lot of people need guidance , and I’m here just to help you.

Ask me anything regarding nutrition, fitness, weight lifting.

Credential:
    Trained and coached 30+ clients with great results
    Retired Bodybuilder with 15+ experience with losing and gaining weight.

Ask away

Thanks for contributing Sandbox fitness. I've been 141lbs for one month, I'm also 5'6. No matter if my deficit is low or moderate. I haven't lost any pound. However I look different, like more compact. Also my pants size went down by an inch. I workout for 250 minutes most weeks. My goal is 72g protein and 150g carbs everyday. My calories are 1,410-1,660 perday. Could I be gaining muscle? I've only been in a deficit for one month. After coming off a 3week diet break. I do a lot of Pilates and body weight exercise with light weights of 21Lbs.

it’s hard to tell you if you’re gaining muscle but you probably could be
    But it seems like you been getting results. Losing an inch of your waist and you do look different.
    It is hard to gain muscle on a calorie deficit

I would stick to one calorie intake instead doing 1400-1600, so it’s either one of them and sticking to them religiously ; I would increase my protein to 140g and the rest carbs and fats.

Weigh all your food to get a good measurement.
  • sandboxfitness
    Stats: 32F 5'6" 126lb
    Goal: Visible abs
    Program: Insanity workout program
    Calories/Macros: 1891Cal Carbs237 Fat49 Protein126 (Training Days)
    1513Cal Carbs113 Fat62 Protein126 (Rest Day)

Questions: #1 Is this a reasonable Calorie/Macro setup for my goal and workout routine?
    #2 While I find I can generally keep within the calories I find my fat macro is over my goal almost daily,
    usually ends up totaling about 70-80g average, how much of an effect with this have? Also I find I'm
    only reaching around 80-100g on protein again wondering if that will hurt my goals.
    #3 Is there anything I should be adding/changing routine or nutrition wise to reach my goal?

Side note: I don't have access to a gym, equipment or weights other than mini resistance bands and maybe using some water bottles as makeshift light weights. Any advice you have is much appreciated!

I’m sorry ; what is your goal ?
    And how did you calculate your calorie intake?
  • sandboxfitness
    omfederico wrote: »
    It’s been maybe a week and I haven’t lost a single pound. I haven’t gone over my calorie intake and I have been exercising. What am I doing wrong?

It’s hard to tell you when I know nothing about your fitness plan or calorie intake
    But in general the scale is not a good measurement of progress; it’s one of the options to track progress but not the best.
    Take pictures every week and compare them together.
    If you started a weight lifting program when you start dieting; you could be gaining muscle mass especially if you worked out so little in the past.
    Maybe a week? Always weigh the same day every week upon waking up, weighing everyday will discourage you.
    Sometimes on paper the calorie intake is good but in real life it doesn’t translate.
    What I would do; finish the week strong; weigh in the morning : I would suggest Sunday, if you didn’t lose weight; I’d decrease 100 calories from carbs or add a cardio session of 30 min.

Rule of thumb; don’t drop calories unless your weight isn’t moving for 2 weeks

Most of this advice seems wrong to me.

Extremely unlikely poster will have gained significant muscle in a week.
    Scale is perfectly good way of recording your weight and hence your progress.
    Weighing daily or weekly is personal choice.

Extremely likely one week is just too short to assess progress - my advice is continue for another 3 weeks then review.

If still making no progress be prepared to open your diary and accept feedback

PS do you have any actual qualifications OP? What sort of qualification is needed to call yourself a nutrition coach?

I’m not going to debate this. It’s silly and you’re looking for an argument, this is my last reply to you. If you want help; I’ll be happy to help you.

Like I said before it’s hard to evaluate his weight loss when we know nothing about him/her nutrition. I also mentioned that there’s many reasons why there’s no weight loss. How do you know it’s only been a week ? You don’t; you’re assuming. That’s all we can do since there’s no info.

it’s silly you think ppl with certifications in nutrition or fitness training are good just because they took a test and studied for 6 weeks.

It says "it's been maybe a week" right there in the question.

Been a week since they lost weight? Been a week since they started dieting? Been a week since they started working out?

What’s a week.

I swear so many haters when you try to help ppl. It’s funny
This discussion has been closed.