Frustrated/Confused over Doctor's Recommendations

Options
I started my weight loss journey on March 8th, 2021 at 371 pounds. I am 6'3". That was the day my primary doctor strongly recommended me to the weight loss center at the hospital. He was pushing the surgical option, however I told him I was not interested in surgery as it wouldn't be for me as my issue is primarily a lifestyle issue. I scheduled an appointment at the weight loss center, but for non-surgical. My appointment was for April 29th. Between March 8, 2021 and April 29, 2021, I change my eating habits to limit my calories and used Myfitnesspal. When I went to my weight loss center appointment on April 29th, I weighed 338 pounds for a loss of 33 pounds. While the weight loss doctor was congratulatory over my weight loss, he provided me with a "custom" diet plan based on my Body Composition Scan. This custom plan called for 1800 calories a day, with 3 meals of 45 grams of protein and less than 30 grams of carbs. I have followed this diet pretty closely since. I have not only struggled to find foods to eat, but am typically finding it harder to enjoy my meals. I have also actually gained 2 and a half pounds since that appointment. I am started to struggle and become frustrated every meal time. Unless something clicks soon, this will not be sustainable for long. What I was doing prior to the appointment was very sustainable and I was starting to feel pretty good about it. I am confused on what I should do.

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on March 8th, 2021 at 371 pounds. I am 6'3". That was the day my primary doctor strongly recommended me to the weight loss center at the hospital. He was pushing the surgical option, however I told him I was not interested in surgery as it wouldn't be for me as my issue is primarily a lifestyle issue. I scheduled an appointment at the weight loss center, but for non-surgical. My appointment was for April 29th. Between March 8, 2021 and April 29, 2021, I change my eating habits to limit my calories and used Myfitnesspal. When I went to my weight loss center appointment on April 29th, I weighed 338 pounds for a loss of 33 pounds. While the weight loss doctor was congratulatory over my weight loss, he provided me with a "custom" diet plan based on my Body Composition Scan. This custom plan called for 1800 calories a day, with 3 meals of 45 grams of protein and less than 30 grams of carbs. I have followed this diet pretty closely since. I have not only struggled to find foods to eat, but am typically finding it harder to enjoy my meals. I have also actually gained 2 and a half pounds since that appointment. I am started to struggle and become frustrated every meal time. Unless something clicks soon, this will not be sustainable for long. What I was doing prior to the appointment was very sustainable and I was starting to feel pretty good about it. I am confused on what I should do.

When do you follow up with the doctor again? Did you go over what you were doing with him before and what did he have to say about it?

Not sure where you are, but it's very common here to be able to call the office for quick questions and clarifications from someone on staff, or to make a phone appointment with the doctor. That would be my first step if it's still a while until your next appointment.
  • Maverick6714
    Maverick6714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    That sounds TOO low carb. Even as a diabetic I eat more than 30 carbs a day. If your previous method of counting calories and macros was working, I think you should go back to it.

The 45 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs is per meal for three meals per day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    That sounds TOO low carb. Even as a diabetic I eat more than 30 carbs a day. If your previous method of counting calories and macros was working, I think you should go back to it.

The 45 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs is per meal for three meals per day.

Oh, well that's a lot different.

When I was losing weight I used the default macros on here = 50%C 30%F 20%P

I really preferred to eat more fat and less in carbs so I ended up at about 125-150 total carbs per day. I kind of ignored the macros other than getting enough protein.

Why don't you just try to get close to the recommendation and understand that there is a big learning curve AND you don't have to hit that 100g a day every day...I bet you're trying to revamp your entire food plan. It takes time and effort.

Congrats on your weight loss so far, BTW.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Is the new diet designed to address a particular health condition? If not, I would think that what worked for you so far is a better option. If yes, was this doctor trained in nutrition counseling like a registered dietitian is?

Congratulations on your weight loss and your determination to continue!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    When I was ready to give up on my (to that point successful from the point of view of losing a good 40+lbs) random dieting to lose weight because I *knew* it was unsustainable long term, I started looking for something that just might have a chance of long-term success

And for the first time truely realized and internalized that ONLY the final true balance of calories in versus calories out determines our long term weight trend change.

Which changed my focus from what was to me unsustainable rules and plans into an experiment of me trying to figure out how to extract maximum utility out off and how to optimize my available calories.

Initially I mostly concentrated on finding satiating items for fewer calories.

Over the years other considerations have come to dominate including better macros, significantly more plant food sources , gratuitously spending calories on fun and not necessarily nutritionally optimal items.

but the point is that counting calories has allowed me to explore options while meeting my goals.

You will have to make changes to get from where you are to a normal healthy weight. But you don't have to make them all on the same day.

However how you go about losing may well prove the difference between reaching your goal and achieving maintenance for enough years such that the odds to continue to maintain eventually shift in your favor, OR giving up before you succeed in losing the weight, and/or a fairly prompt regain on completion of the diet

These days I eat fairly lightly in the morning, have a large early dinner and have a fairly large and calorific meal right before bed! It sure as heck is not something I would recommend as optimal to anyone else... but it doesn't seem to have stopped me from maintaining! During weight loss there were times I didn't stop eating.... 3-400 Cal or so snacks and mini meals with no large meals at all! Again not recommended as optimal! And while right now, because of family, I tend to eat a main meal between 5 and 6 pm, on my own I just eat when hungry at random times that tend to be more related to my activities and have often dropped a meal I was planning later because on the way home I grabbed a soup, a scone(tea biscuit), or even ice cream.

The whole point is you have to, in my opinion, figure out the things that actually can work for you. While maintaining an appropriate caloric balance such that you're moving towards achieving your appropriately defined goals.

Even while obese I don't know that I would attempt to lose more than 1% of my body weight a week. And most people find the 0.5% to 1% range more sustainable long term, especially after the first few months of losses.

Adjust and move forward and stay in the game!

PS: they are suggesting a fairly low carb, but probably not ketogenic level, food plan. And basically having three meals a day probably without excessive snacking. And adequate protein.

Would it help you to think of this as aspirational as opposed to a rule?

You don't have to hit macros everyday or exactly!

Given your 6ft 3", 135+g protein is definitely a minimum to aspire to to preserve lean mass. Beyond that I would be guided by satiation and remember that I will still lose weight as long as my total calories in are less than the out. So eating 2000 is not the end of the world, especially if 1800 makes you give up!

Have a look at the larger losers group, there might be some stuff there to help, though personally I would just count calories and make selections based on satiety, at least initially....
  • Maverick6714
    Maverick6714 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No specific health conditions being addressed with the diet other than weight control/obesity. The doctor is focused on the Body Composition Scans and the amount of lean mass and body fat. I understand his intent to increase lower body fat while maintaining muscle mass. My problems with the eating is not the 1800 calories, because that is about where I was prior to his appointment. My struggle is more putting together meals with 45 grams of protein and less than the 30 grams of carbs, especially quicker breakfasts and lunches.

During my weight loss prior to the appointment, my typical day of eating might have been:

Breakfast - During week: Yogurt (was starting to be more greek yogurt than regular), banana or two clementines On the weekend: two scrambled eggs (no milk) and 1/4 cup of turkey sausage crumbles
    Morning Snack - 150 calories cereal bar
    Lunch - Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones Meal, Crystal Light Beverage
    Afternoon Snack - 150 cal Kind Granola Bar
    Dinner - Hello Fresh meal of baked chicken, roasted green beans, and roasted potatoes
    After Dinner Snack - Under 200 calories, typical either half a Lenny and Larry's cookie, small dole whip, turkey/cheese, or wheat thins

I really appreciate all of the advice and comments!! Helps keep my head up a little and work through this.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Do what works. Full stop.

You listened to the doctor and you're struggling. The low carb thing works for SOME people but it is difficult to do, for sure.

I think any weight loss clinic is trying to sell you something. Either their services, a surgery or a supplement or meal delivery plan.

Do what works for YOU.

To thine own self be true.

^----This.
    When I was pregnant with my 3rd child, my doctor told me I couldn't have strawberries because "they'll make you fat." I was about 5 weeks pregnant, severely depressed, and it was strawberry season. I stuck with her for a few months, but ultimately found another doctor. Her terrible advice hadn't stopped there, and she'd been a practicing MD for 25+ years.

You were doing something that was working. It was sustainable. You felt good about it. (And it doesn't appear to have any glaring dangers.) Stick with what works. Who knows what "services" they'll want you to subscribe to when you don't make their predicted progress on their plan...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    No specific health conditions being addressed with the diet other than weight control/obesity. The doctor is focused on the Body Composition Scans and the amount of lean mass and body fat. I understand his intent to increase lower body fat while maintaining muscle mass. My problems with the eating is not the 1800 calories, because that is about where I was prior to his appointment. My struggle is more putting together meals with 45 grams of protein and less than the 30 grams of carbs, especially quicker breakfasts and lunches.

During my weight loss prior to the appointment, my typical day of eating might have been:

Breakfast - During week: Yogurt (was starting to be more greek yogurt than regular), banana or two clementines On the weekend: two scrambled eggs (no milk) and 1/4 cup of turkey sausage crumbles
    Dinner - Hello Fresh meal of baked chicken, roasted green beans, and roasted potatoes
    After Dinner Snack - Under 200 calories, typical either half a Lenny and Larry's cookie, small dole whip, turkey/cheese, or wheat thins

I really appreciate all of the advice and comments!! Helps keep my head up a little and work through this.

In your yogurt.. try apples. try berries. try high fiber cereal (I use all bran buds when I want something more filling).

Try egg whites added to your eggs. Count the oil spray even if it claims to be 0 calories... it isn't. A gram of oil is still a gram of oil! Check out how many calories ham or Canadian bacon have. different brans of turkey bacon have totally different profile and calories.

You've seen what's in the hello fresh box... now how would you modify and cook it yourself! I've only dealt with about 8 hello fresh dinners on a couple of deliveries my dad tried. In my opinion they were all a few more calories than I would have liked for the quantity when cooked as directed. I very easily increased the size of the meals and reduced the calories with only a few modifications (mostly having with increasing vegies and changing some of the cooking steps and for some of the meals the oil used.

Reviewing your logged meals really does help you "optimize"

again 45g protein x 3 meals = 135g... given your size it is certainly not a high protein target. You don't HAVE to hit it but it would not be a terrible aspiration to work towards it.

30g carbs x 3 meals = 90g is a lower carb; but not a low carb diet.

Within 1800 Cal this leaves room for about 100g of fats. Unless there are some more details in the "doctor" plan.

If it helps you not "waste" calories by eating close to 90g of carbs go for it.

Otherwise just think of it as balancing your fats (some of which are necessary) and your carbs within the context of your calories (the 1800 you're aiming for).

I don't think that a good and helpful clinic would be "upset" if you keep losing weight in the 0.5% to 1% of your bodyweight per week range and come "closer" to the various nutritional targets and suggestion they offer...

.... how far off are their targets compared to your "regular" ? What is causing you "issues" in terms of their targets?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Are you sure it was grams and not % of those macros?

45g + 30g = 75 g x 4 cal/g = 300 c x 3 meals = 900 calories

That means 900 calories of fat daily to hit 1800 calories total?
    or 900 / 9 cal/g = 100 g / 3 = 33 g per meal?

By % it still may not be super easy - but easier with planning.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Related to what @PAV8888 said above, I almost wonder with these diet plans if they're given with an expectation of non-compliance or only partial compliance - almost to go overboard to some presumed perfect ideal, and think "well at least if the patient tries and get close that's better than nothing." For an exacting person like me that's a recipe for anxiety, especially if I feel like there's some psychological game being played rather than just trusting me with good information.

Based on the other info you've provided I agree with other posters that you should stick to what was working for you. Take the doctor's recommendations into account, for sure, but don't think it isn't worth it, and give up, if you can't adhere 100% every day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do what works. Full stop.

You listened to the doctor and you're struggling. The low carb thing works for SOME people but it is difficult to do, for sure.

I think any weight loss clinic is trying to sell you something. Either their services, a surgery or a supplement or meal delivery plan.

Do what works for YOU.

To thine own self be true.

This. You know what the problem is, you know how to solve it, you've been seeing success in that front. Keep it up. It's working.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Given protein minimums, WHAT you eat won't have much (if any) effect on your body composition - how much weight you lose and muscle you retain/gain will.

A diet to which you will comply and thus create a calorie deficit and weight LOSS will have a positive effect on your body composition while one to which you cannot adhere and thus GAIN weight will have a negative affect.