Doctor wants me to try low fat plant based diet. Very difficult, need resources.

Options

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    'This is why it's so important to take advice from people who study the field and most importantly, a set of specialized doctor that can evaluate each case.

But in general, a disease of overproduction of glucose would benefit from a diet lower in glucose. Not saying keto, but lower carb.

If anything, if SFA are concern from a metabolic standpoint, I would think a LC Mediterranean Diet would be a great place. Fibrous plants (especially Avocado), EVOO, low red meat, and plenty of lean proteins and fatty fish. Its a great place to get essential and super healthy nutrients."

Fish, fish, fish. It's what's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat a lorra lorra fish. That's ^^^ exactly how I pulled myself out of a tailspin with T2, @psuLemon. You're right on the money.

I have wild caught salmon from AK, have relatives there. I fish for my own trout. When things start to go sideways with blood glucose I'm right back to fish, fish, fish. It keeps me right in the pocket.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon and @magnusthenerd if you're out there.

Yesterday, magnus said a 'fat one becomes a sugar one'. Boom.

When I was 20 years old, I went to the endocrinologist. He told me that I was going to end up with T2. I said, Ahhh, hail nooo, I won't. He said, yes you will.

He reviewed my tests but he told me that he could tell just by examining the outward signs, too. Carrying excess weight in my belly and keeping over 30 lbs for X amount of time in that belly area for usually a decade or more is another marker. I call it the hard turtle shell. If you've got the hard turtle shell, you can thump it and it sounds just like a good watermelon when it's ready.

I was in denial then and I didn't listen. I kick my own rearend for not listening. Binge eating goes hand in hand with diabetes. It's the precursor and it's another marker. A ravenous appetite that will not be abated. No shut-off or satiety valve. Magnus and PLemon, you're sooo right.

I didn't have all of this ammo info when I was 20. I had to learn everything the hard way and it's been a really rough road. One of out three have diabetes. My endo said there was no such thing as prediabetes, you've either got it or you don't. He said I had it and I just wouldn't listen. Now here I am trying to make up for the lost years.

If you're out there. Don't let another another day pass you by. With every passing day and year the ground grows colder. Thanks for sharing the truth Lemon and Magnus, even when it hurts. I'm listening now.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Would this be a nutritional coach or chiropractor recommending this. I personally don't know of any licensed dietitians or medical professionals recommending anything like this for T2.

There definitely are some, and there are some quite good results for some with T2D following a WFPB diet. Sounds non ideal for OP, however.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your blood sugar only after the meal, or also again a decent amount of time later? If it comes back down again reasonably well, it may not be as much of a problem as you think. Maybe a time test of your blood sugar levels to get your typical curve would be helpful if you haven't already done that.

I wonder if you might be better off with easing into a plant-based diet so you can figure things out, rather than an all or nothing approach.

Making sure you eat carbohydrates along with foods that slow down absorption can also help (fats and proteins). Hence apples and peanut butter can be a good snack for diabetics. Too much protein can actually be a problem, though not so likely for a non-carnivore.

Have you looked at any of Jason Fung's work? He is a Canadian nephrologist. I just have the kindle sample for his book The Diabetes Code. But he's a good researcher and clinician so there may be ideas for you in there or on his web site. I ran into his work long ago when translating something relevant and was impressed (I'm a chemist and have done a lot of biochemical/ pharmaceutical/ biomedical/ clinical trial translation work). He has interesting thoughts on obesity also.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall is probably the leading expert when it comes to low fat veganism. He has decades of research on low fat.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Your doctor is totally clueless. I should know. I"m a retired physician who gave the same absolutely STUPID low fat advice to my patients. I simply didn't know better.

I'm also T2D. I diagnosed myself in 2005. Fatty liver diagnosed in 1992. My T2D is in complete remission. Without meds. I have NORMAL blood sugars.

As a diabetic you need to eat an ANIMAL based diet and follow these guidlines.

Phase 1 (Induction).  This phase allows for 20–25 grams of net carbs per day until you are 15 pounds (7 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 2. During this phase, you consume 25–50 grams of net carbs per day until you are 10 pounds (5 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 3. Your net carb allowance is raised to 50–80 grams per day until you have met your goal weight and maintained it for 1 month.

Phase 4. During the final phase, you consume 80–100 grams of net carbs per day for ongoing weight maintenance.

You should also do IF (intermittant fasting). Start with 16:8 and close that window as much as you can.

I use an 18:6 IF. I also do a 48hr water fast twice a month.

I'm so sick and tired of watching doctors unintentionally killing people slowly with their crappy treatments and advice.

Seriously? Physician saying you need animal? I did not know doctors also are Certified Dieticians... oh also that everything works for everyone the same...
    I must dispute and totally disagree. Seriously? While low fat is a misnomer for many NEEDING animal is ridiculous and very uneducated and uninformed..
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Vegan and plant based are different but have very common threads.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @tsazani

You also included the Mediterranean diet which shockingly one of the blue zones follows but hey that diet is causing them to die young
  • queanmum
    queanmum Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been Type 2 diabetic for 23 years and fat free vegan for the last 4 years. I went vegan to reverse heart disease and avoid bypass surgery. When I first started, it was a lot of baked potatoes, beans, and salad. Then I found Susan Voisin's blog called Fat Free Vegan. Her recipes taste like "real" food. From there, I built more repertoire by googling "vegan version of____". Whatever I was craving, somebody had figured out how to "veganize" it. If the recipe had fat or oil, I left it out. It's a process and a project. Something the docs and dieticians don't tell you is that when they want to induce diabetes in laboratory mice, they are fed extremely high fat diet. Not carbs. Not sugar. FAT. So your doctor is steering you in a good direction. There are also some "vegan meal plans" on the web that you can mix and match to your liking and to give you some more ideas. My dear husband went vegan with me and has loved every day of it. You can make good vegan recipes that fit in your normal food budget. Good luck.