It's not really getting easier

Hi everyone,

I've come back after a 6 year hiatus. I started 11 days ago and I've been trying to workout most days. Back in the day, I did a lot of Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and I was pretty successful! But, it's been super hard for me. I've been able to last a min or two longer, but eventually stop before the end of the 30 min workout. I'm trying out different youtube workouts. Found one I liked today, but every 10 min, I have to pause and take a breather and I barely finished that 30 min. The one I did today is advertised as "for complete beginners." If I can't finish that without taking a lot of pauses, is there something wrong with me? It's frustrating. My back has been hurting. I went for a 2.5 mile walk the other day and came home with huge blisters. I guess I'm just irked that this is getting the better of me.

I've never been athletic or really into working out, but I thought I was better than this. Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I once read that muscle wastage sets in after only 3 days. Which is why if you've been stuck in bed for a week with flu everything feels so hard. Normal things like making a piece of toast need a sit down after.

So after 6 years doing nothing in particular it is going to take a while. Doing something is always better than nothing, regardless of having to stop. Next time you just try to get a bit further along before you stop.

I'm a runner who hasn't run for a fortnight because we're moving house. Going to try and find the time this week but I know already it'll be harder than last time!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I once read that muscle wastage sets in after only 3 days. Which is why if you've been stuck in bed for a week with flu everything feels so hard. Normal things like making a piece of toast need a sit down after.

So after 6 years doing nothing in particular it is going to take a while. Doing something is always better than nothing, regardless of having to stop. Next time you just try to get a bit further along before you stop.

I'm a runner who hasn't run for a fortnight because we're moving house. Going to try and find the time this week but I know already it'll be harder than last time!

If I read correctly the OP really had never been active in her life so it will take awhile.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    April4th wrote: »
    On YouTube, look for Pahla B Fitness. She has both seated and standing workouts, and they're easily modified for your personal capabilities.

Thanks! Will do!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

If I read correctly the OP really had never been active in her life so it will take awhile.

I was responding to this -
    I've come back after a 6 year hiatus. I started 11 days ago and I've been trying to workout most days. Back in the day, I did a lot of Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and I was pretty successful! But, it's been super hard for me. I've been able to last a min or two longer, but eventually stop before the end of the 30 min workout.

Which suggests at least some activity in the past.

But whatever.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I was responding to this -
    I've come back after a 6 year hiatus. I started 11 days ago and I've been trying to workout most days. Back in the day, I did a lot of Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and I was pretty successful! But, it's been super hard for me. I've been able to last a min or two longer, but eventually stop before the end of the 30 min workout.

Which suggests at least some activity in the past.

But whatever.

The last sentence of the OP's first post is my point of reference.

"I've never been athletic or really into working out, but I thought I was better than this. Ideas? Suggestions?"

Sounds like it's been 6 years since looking at MFP.
  • moonbeams896
    Before I moved to WA (5 years ago), I used to go on 2-4 miles walk with my dog. That cut back due to weather in WA. My job keeps me standing most days (but I haven't worked face to face since shutdown, which means I've sat around and worked). My life over the past year has been nothing but sitting. Prior to that, when I was working, I would get in at least 7-8K steps a day and sometimes up to 15 or 16K. It's just I've become super sendentary over the last year, so it's been hard getting it going.
  • moonbeams896
    On YouTube, look for Pahla B Fitness. She has both seated and standing workouts, and they're easily modified for your personal capabilities.

I did my first one yesterday with her. It's perfect! Thanks so much
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    A lot of those videos were much harder on me after pelvic surgery than actually going for a walk because they have you doing knee highs and you can't find your own comfortable pace. My suggestion is do walking in your area outside stiving to go at an exceptable but not hard pace for 4 weeks in a row 30minutes a day. After that try the video's again and see if you've improved enough they're doable. Most of our weightloss is from diet choices so while exercise is really important it's more than fine to ease into it.
  • moonbeams896

I've been doing her youtube videos everyday and she's really great! Most of her videos are 20-25 min. I feel a little guilty not doing more, but she's quite adamant that this is really all you need to get fit and toned. And I do work up a pretty good sweat everytime. It's ok that I don't do more?