It's not really getting easier

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    April4th wrote: »
    On YouTube, look for Pahla B Fitness. She has both seated and standing workouts, and they're easily modified for your personal capabilities.

I've been doing her youtube videos everyday and she's really great! Most of her videos are 20-25 min. I feel a little guilty not doing more, but she's quite adamant that this is really all you need to get fit and toned. And I do work up a pretty good sweat everytime. It's ok that I don't do more?

Yes. If you get to the point where you're thinking "well, that was no big deal, hardly a challenge at all", then think about adding more. Gradual progress, always keeping it just a small but manageable challenge, is (IMO) a Really Good Plan. Overdoing = fatigue, increased injury risk. Underdoing = Feels easy, no challenge, so no fitness improvement. It sounds like you're in the sweet spot in between.

Keep up the goodness, keep that little bit of a challenge!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    edited May 2021
    A famous saying in cycling circles I think coined by Greg LeMond one of the most famous is “It never gets easier, you just go faster.”
    Stay with it. Modify or find a different program that suits you better. Find ways to fix what’s wrong as you go (maybe different shoes, maybe hydration etc). It won’t get easier but you will go faster or further with time. For now, take breaks as needed, listen to your body and keep up the good work!!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    One day at a time. Everyday your will get stronger. Who cares if you need to take pause. If you need to pause, then you should pause to avoid injury. You are doing it and that’s what matters. Change takes time. You should start slow and gradually build up. You will surprise yourself.
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Today has been a weird day. First, I've been starving throughout (something I don't experience very much). I've been snacking, but trying not to go too crazy. Then, I did a workout using 5 lb weights. And, while I could do more than I have been in the past, I still couldn't get through the whole thing without putting them down and my arms are KILLING me. I can barely raise them at all. I'm not sure if this is progress or not. I guess I'll see when tomorrow comes. :)
  • Vicky_609
    Vicky_609 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi everyone,

I've come back after a 6 year hiatus. I started 11 days ago and I've been trying to workout most days. Back in the day, I did a lot of Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and I was pretty successful! But, it's been super hard for me. I've been able to last a min or two longer, but eventually stop before the end of the 30 min workout. I'm trying out different youtube workouts. Found one I liked today, but every 10 min, I have to pause and take a breather and I barely finished that 30 min. The one I did today is advertised as "for complete beginners." If I can't finish that without taking a lot of pauses, is there something wrong with me? It's frustrating. My back has been hurting. I went for a 2.5 mile walk the other day and came home with huge blisters. I guess I'm just irked that this is getting the better of me.

I've never been athletic or really into working out, but I thought I was better than this. Ideas? Suggestions?

I am also getting back Into shape. It took several attempts to complete this but I started with this one. I do truly think this is a genuine beginner workout https://youtu.be/k_SoCdUlBvM
  • moonbeams896
    Vicky_609 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've come back after a 6 year hiatus. I started 11 days ago and I've been trying to workout most days. Back in the day, I did a lot of Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds and I was pretty successful! But, it's been super hard for me. I've been able to last a min or two longer, but eventually stop before the end of the 30 min workout. I'm trying out different youtube workouts. Found one I liked today, but every 10 min, I have to pause and take a breather and I barely finished that 30 min. The one I did today is advertised as "for complete beginners." If I can't finish that without taking a lot of pauses, is there something wrong with me? It's frustrating. My back has been hurting. I went for a 2.5 mile walk the other day and came home with huge blisters. I guess I'm just irked that this is getting the better of me.

I've never been athletic or really into working out, but I thought I was better than this. Ideas? Suggestions?

I am also getting back Into shape. It took several attempts to complete this but I started with this one. I do truly think this is a genuine beginner workout https://youtu.be/k_SoCdUlBvM

I've done a lot of Leslie Sansone and I like her a lot. I was having problems even getting through her videos. I would guess if I tried it now, it would be a whole lot easier.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Today has been a weird day. First, I've been starving throughout (something I don't experience very much). I've been snacking, but trying not to go too crazy. Then, I did a workout using 5 lb weights. And, while I could do more than I have been in the past, I still couldn't get through the whole thing without putting them down and my arms are KILLING me. I can barely raise them at all. I'm not sure if this is progress or not. I guess I'll see when tomorrow comes. :)

Pain during the workout means you pushed yourself too hard.

Patience, grasshopper ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    A lot of those videos were much harder on me after pelvic surgery than actually going for a walk because they have you doing knee highs and you can't find your own comfortable pace. My suggestion is do walking in your area outside stiving to go at an exceptable but not hard pace for 4 weeks in a row 30minutes a day. After that try the video's again and see if you've improved enough they're doable. Most of our weightloss is from diet choices so while exercise is really important it's more than fine to ease into it.

Yes, I find the walking more or less in place videos a lot harder on my knees/legs than simply walking/hiking. I tried one again recently when the weather kept me indoors, but it is not a good exercise for me.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    On YouTube, look for Pahla B Fitness. She has both seated and standing workouts, and they're easily modified for your personal capabilities.

I've been doing her youtube videos everyday and she's really great! Most of her videos are 20-25 min. I feel a little guilty not doing more, but she's quite adamant that this is really all you need to get fit and toned. And I do work up a pretty good sweat everytime. It's ok that I don't do more?

Glad it is working for you, but a 20-25 minute video a few times a week will not be what many need to get to their definition of "fit and toned".
  • AnnPT77
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Glad it is working for you, but a 20-25 minute video a few times a week will not be what many need to get to their definition of "fit and toned".

All the way to "fit and toned"? Probably not.

Good on-ramp for someone who is just starting out working toward "fit and toned", after a long period of inactivity, or with other factors that have caused limited current workout capabilities? Possibly.

If starting from zero or nearby, gotta start somewhere, and intense daily, lengthy exercise is not going to be the answer, to start.

You're right, though, in the larger sense: It will likely take more than a beginner-friendly 20-25 minute workout in the longer run. Sounds like OP is already seeing progress in her capabilities: That suggests the on-ramp is working.

Having started from zero in my 40s, gradual progress was a decent strategy, IMO. I'm not any kind of elite athlete or fitness model now, for sure, but I think in the realm that some might be considered "fit and toned". (People have used those words, unprovoked by me, about me. 🤷‍♀️ (But for sure I don't satisfy my own expectations for "fit", nonetheless. 😆 Don't care about "toned" at all. Reasonably strong and capable? Yes. Toned? No.))

If her experience is like mine, the starting forms of exercise will get to feeling too easy, unchallenging, boring . . . and she'll move on to new challenges at that point. It can be an almost automatic progression, if a person keeps going, doesn't give up. That kind of progression can lead to "fit and toned" for sure, because I've seen others unquestionably reach that status after modest starts that lifelong or long-term fit people might scoff at.
  • moonbeams896
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good on-ramp for someone who is just starting out working toward "fit and toned", after a long period of inactivity, or with other factors that have caused limited current workout capabilities? Possibly.

If starting from zero or nearby, gotta start somewhere, and intense daily, lengthy exercise is not going to be the answer, to start.

You're right, though, in the larger sense: It will likely take more than a beginner-friendly 20-25 minute workout in the longer run. Sounds like OP is already seeing progress in her capabilities: That suggests the on-ramp is working.

Having started from zero in my 40s, gradual progress was a decent strategy, IMO. I'm not any kind of elite athlete or fitness model now, for sure, but I think in the realm that some might be considered "fit and toned". (People have used those words, unprovoked by me, about me. 🤷‍♀️ (But for sure I don't satisfy my own expectations for "fit", nonetheless. 😆 Don't care about "toned" at all. Reasonably strong and capable? Yes. Toned? No.))

If her experience is like mine, the starting forms of exercise will get to feeling too easy, unchallenging, boring . . . and she'll move on to new challenges at that point. It can be an almost automatic progression, if a person keeps going, doesn't give up. That kind of progression can lead to "fit and toned" for sure, because I've seen others unquestionably reach that status after modest starts that lifelong or long-term fit people might scoff at.

It's not exactly "beginner" exercise, but it is for someone slightly older than myself. I do think I'll be able to move on, but I'm not looking for that bikini bod. I'm in my 40s, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a bikini anyway :) Primarily, I want to lose weight and build some strength. I still can't get through some of the heavy weight videos she does (holding the weights the whole time - I do finish without). Sure, eventually I might move on from her. Or I might incorporate more. Right now, I'm just happy that I've found something I can do EVERY. DAMN. DAY! It's not something I've EVER been able to do before.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's not exactly "beginner" exercise, but it is for someone slightly older than myself. I do think I'll be able to move on, but I'm not looking for that bikini bod. I'm in my 40s, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a bikini anyway :) Primarily, I want to lose weight and build some strength. I still can't get through some of the heavy weight videos she does (holding the weights the whole time - I do finish without). Sure, eventually I might move on from her. Or I might incorporate more. Right now, I'm just happy that I've found something I can do EVERY. DAMN. DAY! It's not something I've EVER been able to do before.

I think that's wonderful, perfect. Keep up the great enthusiasm and progress. Doing things you can enjoy, all along the way, is a really powerful strategy, I think.

Best wishes for accomplishing your long term goals, and finding some great benefits along the way!

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member

The main thing is that you have got into the habit of exercising regularly and pushing yourself. Progress will come.

As for the bikini bod - I thought that, too. I was bitten by the fitness bug in 2016 and lost a lot of weight. I have been doing serious weight training since the start of 2020. The aim has nothing to do with aesthetics. I don't have what most people would classify as a bikini bod but guess what? I wore a bikini in public (for the first time since the age of 18) on a trip away last month and I felt quite comfortable and confident in it. I'm 52.

• moonbeams896
    SnifterPug wrote: »

The main thing is that you have got into the habit of exercising regularly and pushing yourself. Progress will come.

As for the bikini bod - I thought that, too. I was bitten by the fitness bug in 2016 and lost a lot of weight. I have been doing serious weight training since the start of 2020. The aim has nothing to do with aesthetics. I don't have what most people would classify as a bikini bod but guess what? I wore a bikini in public (for the first time since the age of 18) on a trip away last month and I felt quite comfortable and confident in it. I'm 52.

That's awesome! Good for you!! I've been overweight my entire life and have NEVER worn a bikini. I can't imagine doing so now, but I guess nothing's impossible. I'll just be glad if I can get into a normal weight range :)

And yes, I'm so excited that I don't MIND exercising. It's all about mindset and this is a HUGE step for me. This weekend, I didn't exercise, partly pain, partly hosting for 4th of July stuff and I feel really crappy today. Glad the holiday is over and I can't get back to my normal routine.
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    I've been doing "go you chicken fat go". It's about 7 minutes, usually three repetitions of it is good for a hundred calories or so of burn. You can find it on youtube, and make it more energetic (as I do) or less as you are able.