What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I detest anything maple flavored. Will not touch syrup. Hate maple scented candles.

I don't like maple syrup (or any syrup for that matter) on waffles or pancakes. I'd rather just have plain or w/ a nut butter or pb.
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    @Maggiegirl135 and @AnnPT77 LOL I will try the recipe from The Joy of Cooking and keep you both posted :smile: .

BTW: I have heard of a restaurant 'up north' whose entire menu is only split pea soup-different mix-ins and toppings- so there has to be a version out there that I will like! :wink:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    You can get all the protein a body needs without eating animals. I am putting this out there, even though I am NOT vegetarian.
    Here we go! Everyone pile on now!

Yes, of course.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

And bacon ruins everything it touches.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!

Bacon is a vile, horrid absolutely foul gross abomination
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!

Heretic!!!!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!

I know you are vegan, but I am curious to why you think this. bacon is no different than any other cut of meat, really.
  • meeppeepneep
    meeppeepneep Posts: 56 Member
    @pancakerunner For me it's the smell. Generally I don't have a problem with the smell of meat, but but it's not the same for the smell of pig meat. I can tolerate most other cuts, but I can't even smile my way through the smell of bacon.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!

I'm team 'NOOOOOO bacon'....even when I ate meat as a kid - bacon was always made for the rest of family - I hated it...along with hamburgers - I'd try to avoid meat as much as I could lol
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    @pancakerunner For me it's the smell. Generally I don't have a problem with the smell of meat, but but it's not the same for the smell of pig meat. I can tolerate most other cuts, but I can't even smile my way through the smell of bacon.

I just have vivid memories of my great grandma frying bacon in lard and the crunchy part was good then but fatty part was rubber death ..not to mention that side ended up with colon and other cancers. Plus it makes me *kitten* to even think to eat a pig.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I. Hate. Potatoes!!!

Now THAT’s unpopular!

I'm team 'NOOOOOO bacon'....even when I ate meat as a kid - bacon was always made for the rest of family - I hated it...along with hamburgers - I'd try to avoid meat as much as I could lol

I’m not a fan of bacon either. Even as a kid all my friends were obsessed with it and I always hated it. I am just not a fan of fatty meat and it makes me feel sick. I haven’t had real bacon in like 15 years. I love the smell of it though. I don’t really care for bacon flavored things either.
  • Olafiina
    Olafiina Posts: 14 Member
    I have a super controversial opinion, One I've literally never met another soul who agrees with me. I. Hate. Pasta. There's a small amount I can stomach if I have no other option, but pasta/noodles are dead last on my food hierarchy. I've tried fresh, homemade. Different kinds of sauces, soups...No I just really hate something about pasta, Always have.
    Ironically I'm not a picky eater, I love all kinds of oddities and weird things. But I draw the line at pasta that is universally adored :D

Gnocchi is surprisingly fine though, Even if that's closer to the dumpling family.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    ^^ Sorry, but is food of the gods for me! Has to be oven baked and crispy........ mmmmmmmm!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Janatki wrote: »
    ^^ Sorry, but is food of the gods for me! Has to be oven baked and crispy........ mmmmmmmm!

I think that's the key for me - I think bacon is really good, but it has to be cooked well, and many people simply don't know (or don't bother) how to do it right.

I have family members who insist I am wrong about this and just being a snob, but factory farmed meat simply does not taste as good. I also really dislike milk from the regular grocery store because it tastes like corn. I grew up eating a SAD and thought it was fine tasting, even if I wasn't a fan of the methods, but once I started eating locally raised meat and dairy I couldn't go back to the other.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Olafiina wrote: »
    I have a super controversial opinion, One I've literally never met another soul who agrees with me. I. Hate. Pasta. There's a small amount I can stomach if I have no other option, but pasta/noodles are dead last on my food hierarchy. I've tried fresh, homemade. Different kinds of sauces, soups...No I just really hate something about pasta, Always have.
    Ironically I'm not a picky eater, I love all kinds of oddities and weird things. But I draw the line at pasta that is universally adored :D

Gnocchi is surprisingly fine though, Even if that's closer to the dumpling family.

I sympathize.
    I just don’t love pasta. People talk about Mac and cheese being the ultimate comfort food. No thanks. I just don’t enjoy eating cardboard, no matter how you dress it up. I don’t like the gnocchi I’ve tried. I know you can get all kinds, so some other kind might be ok. I do love southern dumplings. The light, fluffy steamed ones, served over meat, veg, and yummy broth.