Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Motivation and Support
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• JNettie73JNettie73 Member Posts: 1,001 Member Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Monday check in:
    We had a good but busy weekend. My mom and brother came over Friday to celebrate my husband's birthday and Mother's Day. Saturday my daughter and I did a special birthday breakfast for him and then met his family at a restaurant. We had cake after at his aunt's house. Sunday we went hiking. When we came home my daughter and I did "spa day" where we painted each other's nails - well she spilled nailpolish everywhere and I ended up cleaning and painting my own nails. My hubby made my favorites for dinner. That evening I had my weekly zoom call with my cousins. Since the pandemic we have been doing zoom calls so we can stay in touch. I was over my caloric goal on Friday but did well the rest of the weekend.

Tuesday goals:
    1) To make an appointment to have blood work done and a follow up with my doctor. I keep putting it off and I am not sure why. I really should have done this last month. :#
    2) To make sure I am drinking my water. I have been slacking lately.

@skinnyjeanzbound Sorry to hear your dog is not able to do short walks. It's so hard when our furbabies become older. Congrats on the new house. That is exciting. I love that you have access to a pool.

@lmf1012 I love your honesty about exercise being hard and boring. Are there any activities that you do like such as hiking, biking, dancing? If so maybe you can find a way to incorporate those things into your routine.

@trinati2001 I find it so much easier to reply using my laptop opposed to my phone. Thank you. I am proud that I was able to stop after two rather than eating handfuls. They are just so dang tasty. Though part of my motivation is getting my diabetes in check before it progresses and I am faced with more issues. I'm not so sure if it wasn't for that hanging over me I would have as much willpower. LOL I love that your husband remembered a MFP recipe and made that for you. I also love, and slightly envious, that you went cherry picking. Cherries are a favorite in my house. Last year I found a cherry bush in a local nursery and planted that in my yard. It flowered up this spring though I am not sure how long I have to wait until we start seeing fruit. 2 years ago I planted a dwarf peach tree in memory of my dad. I had initially wanted to plant a dwarf cherry but I could not find one. I think this year or next is the year we should start getting peaches. I cannot wait!

Wednesday Wishes: I want to wish everyone success in their journey. Some days will be easy and some days will be hard. Don't let the days you struggle get you down. Pick yourself back up when you are ready and try again. You've got this and I believe in you!

Thursday Truths: I try to be friendly and kind to everyone I cross paths with. It is important to me to set a good example for my daughter and be a positive role model for her. There are days though when doing the right thing is challenging because people take advantage of your good nature and do not reciprocate kindness. It is especially challenging when you encounter that person or people frequently and often find yourself having to "play nice in the sandbox" when you really don't want to.

Second Thursday Truth: I love going outside and just enjoying the sights and sounds of the world around me. The world is such a beautiful place that always amazes me.
    Friday Fitness: My routine is the same. I do my bike for an hour. Depending on my mood and energy level I use light weights and do upperbody exercises while biking. Also depending on my mood and energy level I do intervals where I increase and decrease my speed. Other days I just do a leisurely pedal.

Saturday Success: I noticed this week that I can officially touch my elbows in front of my body. As a large chested woman, I am extremely excited about this NSV. I've also noticed that I can clasp my hands behind my back. Again, this also excites me. It's the little things in life.

Sunday Share: Moving towards a whole food plant based low fat diet my choices are limited especially in resturants. We had a confirmation to attend yesterday for my cousin's son at a resturant. The menu was prefixed, served family style, and there wasn't much I could eat. I do not like being the center of attention and didn't want to make a fuss so I just went with it. I ate the salad however it was drenched in dressing. Oils have a negative effect on my glucose levels. The other thing I "could" eat was the pizza. I have not made the full transformation to plant based and will eat cheese on occasion. I had 2 slices, as they were small, and gave my husband the crust area. When we got home I made sure to get my activity level up as it helps to control my glucose. This morning when I tested I was pleasantly surprised that my fasting numbers were elevated but were not as high as I anticipated. I've been working so hard to get my diabetes under control. I am really proud of myself.

I hope everyone is doing well on their journey!
  • trinati2001trinati2001 Member, Premium Posts: 260 Member Member, Premium Posts: 260 Member
    @JNettie73 congratulations on how you handled the confirmation dinner. That must have been really difficult.

The last couple of days have been super crazy. I'm not sure why but crazy life and my scale deciding to go on the Fritz really have messed up my plans. I stopped tracking, stopped drinking as much water, and started eating before 11am.

Today is a new day and although we have spinach dip in the fridge I will not eat before 11 and I'll drink my 100oz today!!
  • lmf1012lmf1012 Member Posts: 292 Member Member Posts: 292 Member
    Monday Check In

Had a fairly standard week of sitting in front of the computer working all day M-F. Didn’t walk Monday to Wednesday due to weather but significantly increased my steps since then. (Of course the thunderstorms are back for the week ahead grrrr).

Did get away for the weekend at my friend’s ranch. It was very relaxing to get out of the “city” and enjoy some nature. Went on a 5k hike on Saturday and ran into a rattlesnake!! That was a first for me!

How was everyone’s last week?
    Monday Check In and Tuesday Goals:
    I am doing well. I was doing my workout yesterday and became extremely tired. I am not sure why, I woke up an hour earlier than normal but slept really well. I ended up taking a nap before my daughter got home from school. Part of me felt guilty because there was so much I could be doing however I am glad I listened to my body.

Tuesday Goals: I have to make an appointment with my eye doctor. I have been over due for new glasses for a few months. I've been getting headaches a lot lately from when I am on my computer or phone.

I bought myself a new plant based cookbook over the weekend. I want to experiment with a few new recipes. I am excited to try some new things.
    Wednesday Wish: I wish that my blood work goes well tomorrow and I am pleasantly surprised with the results.
  • skinnyjeanzboundskinnyjeanzbound Member Posts: 3,946 Member Member Posts: 3,946 Member
    @JNettie73 -- I hear you about the eye doctor. I also need to make an appointment and get new glasses. Fingers crossed that you get your wish about those bloodwork results. Yes, I miss the longer walks with my Gunner. He still really wants to go on walks, but his poor little legs just won't cooperate. I fear we may need to make a really hard decision in the near future. We love him so much, but when he starts having more bad days than good ones, we will know it's time to let him go. I honestly can't imagine life without him, but I don't want to be selfish and cause him any suffering. :'(

@lmf1012 -- That's great that you went on a hike. I can't wait until I'm done with this school year, so I can get out more. When we moved last summer, I was so excited to be just a few blocks from a forest preserve, but I only managed to get there once before the weather got bad. I also discovered there is a reservoir with some trails a few blocks in the other direction, but I haven't explored those at all. I'm trying to get some friends to commit to regular walking schedules, so I can get into a good routine.

@trinati2001 -- I'm also doing better with water but can't seem to stick to my fasting schedule. At least I'm managing to stay under my calorie goal most days.

AFM--My sister and I love going to see live music. In 2019 we went to Eddie Vedder's Ohana Festival in Dana Point, CA and had a blast. We were supposed to go to Boston Calling last May, but the pandemic hit. Since that got canceled, we decided to buy tickets to Ohana 2021 and crossed our fingers that it would happen. We just found out last week that it is a go!! It's not until September, but I'm already so excited!!

This past weekend, I installed a raised garden bed. It was a lot of work, and I'm still sore, but I can't wait to have fresh tomatoes, basil, and peppers.

Wednesday Wish:
    I'm exhausted and really just wish this school year was over. I love teaching and love my students, but the challenges of this year have been about as much as I can take.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)
    Weight on 1/1/2021 = 207.4
    GW: 185 (my previous low)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 = 197.4
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
    @skinnyjeanzbound it is fun to see live music! There is an outdoor venue here called the Truck Yard where they have local bands/singers with food trucks and a bar that is a lot of fun to go to.

@JNettie73 crossing my fingers for you on the bloodwork!

Thursday Truth:

Hmmm I ate over my self imposed allowance of dark chocolate last night but stayed within my calories for the day.

Joni, 48, 5'4”
    SW = 166 (March 30, 2021
    GW: 115-125

5/7/21 = 153.4
    5/14/21 = 151.6
    5/21/21 =
    5/28/21 =
    Thursday Truth: I feel good.

@skinnyjeanzbound So sorry to hear about Gunner. I completely understand all the emotions you are going through. Making that decision is one of the hardes ones I have had to make. I don't know if you remember me talking about my cats. One of my cats, Harvest Moon, passed in March, the same day I received my diagnosis. I was completely devistated. The only thing that kept me going while dealing with the heart ache was shifting my focus onto my health.
    Where you live sounds lovely! I hope you are able to get some hikes in soon. Is this your first vegetable garden? I planted mine a few weeks ago. I cannot wait either. There is nothing like being able to go outside and pick your own veggies!

@lmf1012 Thank you. Sorry you over ate on your limit but congrats on staying within your calories for the day. Great work!
    Friday Fitness: I like to watch and episode of a show while I am riding my stationary bike. Today I began biking for a bit while I was figuring out what to watch. I ended up biking for a half hour before I decided to catch up on This is Us. I ended up biking for 70 minutes - my machine told me I burned over 1K calories. I am not sure how accurate that is though. When I was done I worked on upper body exercises with weights. I have been focusing on using weights more regularly. I can feel my muscles starting to become defined. It's a good feeling.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Just sharing my stats today

Starting weight: 270 March 2021

May Start Weight: 248.6
    May Goal Weight: 239/240
    Ultimate Goal Weight: TBD

I weigh in on Sundays.

May 2: 248.6
    May 9: 246.2
    May 16: 242.8
    May 23: 241.6
    May 29:
    May 30:

I got my workout in early this morning. I am skipping weights today to give my muscles a break. It is goregous out today and very warm. We are going to do a family day and go to the beach. My daughter is very excited!
    Checking In:

Joni, 48, 5'4”
    SW = 166 (March 30, 2021
    GW: 115-125

5/7/21 = 153.4
    5/14/21 = 151.6
    5/21/21 = 150
    5/28/21 =

Think I have a long term project on my hands (besides weight loss!). Decided to transform several rooms in the house as my two adult children move out.

Going to turn the game room into a home gym.

Make the downstairs guest room into a home office

Turn one upstairs bedroom into a craft room

Turn another bedroom upstairs into the guest room.

This may be a multi-year project!
  • skinnyjeanzboundskinnyjeanzbound Member Posts: 3,946 Member Member Posts: 3,946 Member
    Hi everyone!

Busy Saturday--the neighborhood we moved into has a garage sale every year. I didn't really have much to sell (we purged a lot when we moved), but my mom and sister had a lot of items, so they came over and we sold a bunch of their stuff. After helping with set up, sitting out in the heat most of the day, and helping pack up what was left, I made exactly $2. LOL. After they left at 4:30, I decided to mow the lawn since I was already all sweaty. Glad I did because it rained most of the day today.

Today, I mostly caught up on laundry and also switched out my sweaters for summer clothing in my closet.

No weight loss this week, but I went out for food and drinks twice, so I'm not surprised. I was happy that I only fluctuated up to 198.8. Sometimes when I eat out I can gain 5 lbs of water weight from all of the sodium in restaurant food. Even when I know that's the cause, it can still be discouraging to see the higher number on the scale.

Tomorrow starts our last full week of school. Hooray!!

@JNettie73 -- I do remember you talking about Harvest Moon--so sorry to hear about your loss. The hardest part about Gunner right now is that he's starting to have some bad days here and there, but then he'll bounce back and be really perky and great. It's so hard to know when it's the right time, but I've heard it said, better a week early than an hour late. My biggest fear right now is that he will fall and break a leg or hip, and we will have to rush him to the vet to be put down. I don't want him to go out scared and in pain. I think once I finish school on June 1st, my husband and I will need to have a serious discussion about letting him go. We already know we want to use Laps of Love, so he can go here at home.

As for the garden, yes, this is my first. At our old place we would buy a couple of tomato plants each summer and just grow them in pots, and we also had a basil plant last summer. However, we never committed to anything more.

@lmf1012 --that sounds like a fun place. The bars around us are just starting to really start booking events with live music again, so I'm looking forward to going out again. I also already have two other concerts at Wrigley in late summer prior to going to Ohana Fest in September.

Those projects sound great! My big project inside our house will be redecorating the office. Right now, it's got terrible hunter green and white checked wallpaper one the lower wall and pink and green flowers on the upper wall, with a border in between that has books and beer steins on it. Very ugly and very 90s. I will need to strip all of that wallpaper (which I've never done before) and then paint.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 = 197.4
    5/21/21 = 197.4
    5/28/21 =
    Monday Check-In: My glucose was elevated again this morning. Today I snacked on my daughter's sour cream and onion potato chips and her funyons. I was just craving salty and crunchy today. I logged full servings of each but honestly I don't think I ate that much. I bought a new plant based cookbook a few weeks ago. Tonight I tried a new recipe from it. Quinoa and chickpeas with kale. I harvested some kale from the garden for it. It came out delicious, my husband and daughter loved it too. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. I used dried beans and skipped adding the feta cheese. https://www.popsugar.com/food/Baked-Quinoa-Casserole-Kale-Chickpeas-32029340

@lmf1012 Sounds like you will be extremely busy! Last March I converted my guest room into an art room. I love to draw and paint. I also like to craft. What kind of crafting do you do?

@skinnyjeanzbound Your green room sounds well... green. HAHA. When we bought our house our guest room was orange, complete with an orange ceiling. We just lived with it the way it was until I decided to finally convert it to my art room. I was so happy to get rid of the orange! My husband took the wallpaper down in my daughter's room when we fixed that room up for her arrival. It was quite a project. They make special products to help remove the wallpaper. I remember him telling me it was not terribly difficult to do just tedious.
    @JNettie73

Sour cream and onion chips sure sound good right about now lol

The craft room is actually for my 11 yr old daughter, she’s the crafty one. She loves to make things, with all kinds of artistic mediums. She loves to cut up the empty cardboard boxes and make forts and other “homes” for our chihuahua or her stuffed animals. She loves to draw a lot too.
    @JNettie73 -- Yes, I will need to do some research to figure out the best approach to stripping the wallpaper before I start it. Luckily, I have the time to tackle that tedious task over the summer. I make a quinoa and chick pea salad that sounds similar, I add cooked asparagus and goat cheese. It's a staple of mine for lunch--delicious cold or heated.

AFM-- this has been a crazy food and drink filled week. Monday, I had a meeting after work, and my husband was tired. Neither of us felt like cooking, so we ordered take out from a local gyro place. Then, yesterday was our year-end Association dinner at Wildfire. I ate WAY too much--to the point that my stomach actually hurt! I didn't even try to log it in my food diary. Today, our BOE bought us breakfast, and though I indulged, I will be within my calorie allowance due to a lower cal lunch and dinner. Tomorrow, my teacher friends and I are going out for beverages after work, so I will need to account for those calories as well.

Wednesday Wish:
    That I can get into a really good routine of running, walking, and strength training now that school is ending.

Karen
    51 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)

5/7/21 = 198.4
    5/14/21 = 197.4
    5/21/21 = 197.4
    5/28/21 =
    Friday Fitness: My routine has not changed however I did increase the amount of weight I use for my upper body exercises. I can feel a difference in my body. It's fantastic.

I have exciting news to share! I had my followup with my doctor today. She was pleased with the results of my blood work. She said my A1C is right where she wants it to be then added it is actually slightly lower than what she tells her patients to aim for. She isn't putting me on any additional meds except a B12 vitamin. She believes with the way things are going that I will be able to eventually come off my medication for diabetes.

@lmf1012 I love that your daughter is so creative! My daughter loves to draw and create things too. I gave her a crafting corner in my art room.

@skinnyjeanzbound Your quinoa and chickpea dish sounds delicious. I love asparagus. It sounds like you have a very busy week. I hope you had a great time!

May Start Weight: 248.6
    May Goal Weight: 239/240

I weigh in on Sundays.

May 2: 248.6
    May 9: 246.2
    May 16: 242.8
    May 23: 241.6
    May 30: 241.0

I had a follow up with my doctor on Friday. I weighed in the morning before I went and I was 239. I was excited because I met my May goal. Last night we had family movie night, I snacked on some popcorn. Well, today was my weigh in day and it only reflected a .6 loss. Oh well. At first I was bummed but after thinking about it I know weight fluctuates. These things sometimes just happen. I have come a long way since I started this journey a few months ago. I am really proud of all the progress I have made so far. My NSVs by far tell more than a number on a scale does.

My greatest NSV was my follow up appointment with my doctor. She reviewed my lab work with me. My numbers are looking really great. She was very pleased with my A1C. She told me that it is right where she tells her patients to aim for then corrected herself and said mine is actually a little below that. My B12 is low which is a combination of my meds for diabetes and a vegetarian diet. I have started supplementing with a B complex vitamin to get that back up to where it needs to be. At this point in time she is going to hold off putting me on any additional medications such as cholesterol. She believes with the life style changes that I have made my numbers will continue to improve and I will not need medication, including the one she has me on now. I walked out of that appointment feeling like I was on cloud 9!
    Name: Jeanette

June Start Weight: 241
    June Goal Weight: somewhere between 230 - 235

I weigh in on Sundays.

June 6:
    June 13:
    June 20:
    June 27:

I just completed my monthly measurements and progress pictures. I am down 29 lbs since starting. My pictures didn't reflect as much progress as I had hoped but there have been many other positive changes that I am okay with it. My A1C is in a decent place, my doctor thinks I can eventually come off my medication for diabetes, I am sleeping better, I have more engery, most days (not all) I am averaging 10K steps or higher, my chronic cough has completely gone away, I am not tired all the time, it is easier for me to sit and get up off the ground when playing with my daughter, I don't have the same aches and pains as I did before - now my aches are exercise induced LOL, I am so much happier than I was before, I wake up happy and ready to seize the day, I don't get tired and winded from playing with my daughter outside, I listen to my body, I have finally made time for myself and taking back my life and so much more!

Each measurement decreased unless noted.
    Waist: - 1.1 inch
    Hips: - 2.2 iches
    Right Thigh: - 1 inch
    Left Thigh: stayed the same
    Bust: - .5 inch
    Right Arm: - 1.5 inches
    Left Arm: - 1 inch
    Neck: stayed the same

My June goal is to keep doing what I am doing - focus on lowing my fasting blood glucose level, losing weight, and exercising regularly. Last month I increased the weight I used for my upper body workout from 3lb weights to 5 lb weights. I plan on keeping that routine at that weight and adding in an abdominal workout.

Here is to a new month and chapter in our journey! I wish you all the best!