Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

Mention it or don’t? How should I phrase it?

Onedaywriter
Onedaywriter Posts: 311 Member
edited May 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So this morning I went to the gym and saw an acquaintance that I haven’t seen since January or so. I changed my workout time so haven’t been there this early for a while. OMG- she lost a lot of weight and looked so much more toned and muscular at first I didn’t recognize her!

I wanted to congratulate her because I’m too familiar with the effort in such a change, but I also felt strange doing so. I personally felt very encouraged by positive comments so I wanted to give praise but I didn’t want to make her feel awkward. .
I’ve seen a lot of posts where people are upset because they think nobody noticed, but others seem to be uncomfortable with any comment about weight/ body change at all- even positive ones.

Sorry I’m so socially inept I have to ask an online forum, but what is appropriate?

Thanks

Replies

• qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    It doesn’t seem like you’re being creep, and are trying to be sincerely nice. Since you said “acquaintance” I take it as this is someone you’ve interacted with at the gym previously. (If no previous interaction, I probably wouldn’t say anything). I think saying something along the lines of... hey there, haven’t seen you in awhile. It looks like you’ve been putting in a lot of hard work at the gym and you have some great results to show for it! (Could even throw in- hope I’m not coming off offensive, just wanted to applaud your hard work!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 8,345 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    *snip*
    I wanted to congratulate her because I’m too familiar with the effort in such a change, but I also felt strange doing so. I personally felt very encouraged by positive comments so I wanted to give praise but I didn’t want to make her feel awkward. .

*snip*

I think if you preface your compliment this way it would go a long way in reducing the awkwardness and increasing the sincerity.

It's all quite sweet, really.

Exactly this. I remember meeting a peer in the store one day and noticed she'd lost quite a bit of weight. I approached her somewhat like this. I simply told her that I was hoping it wasn't awkward or unkind of me in some way to notice that she'd lost a lot of weight and asked her how she did it. But see, I wouldn't be offended by someone mentioning it but it appears many would. So IDK. But I do think if you mention your awkwardness and hesitancy out right, she'd accept it much better.
    JMO

TBO, I'd rather it be noticed than not noticed IIWM.
    Good luck :)