Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Motivation and Support
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

1434446484954

Replies

  • azalea4175azalea4175 Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    Chaps.
    My sincerest apologies.
    I have had a rough few months. I didn't so much as "fall off the wagon" as get off, untether the horses and burn the blooming thing!
    To cap things off nicely, I cannot risk sailing solo and will have to sell my beloved sail boat...

    I have put on a lot of the weight I had lost but will not know the full extent of the damage until Sunday morning.
    The only good and positive thing that I have to report is that I have made another wagon and am back onboard.

    there is no wagon, only life. Perhaps something demanding more of your time and attention was going on in another part of your life. No shame, no regrets, no guilt. There is only forward after learning from the past. Happy to have you back, some of your previous posts resonated so much with me and provided me motivation to continue my course when it seemed it wasn't working. Hopefully we can help you now. So sorry you have to give up your sailboat, something you love so much.
    edited April 25
  • riffraff2112riffraff2112 Member Posts: 1,757 Member Member Posts: 1,757 Member
    I am 53. Started Jan 1 at 236lbs. I am presently at 206 for a 30lb weight loss.
    Jan - lost 12
    Feb - Lost 10
    Mar - Lost 5
    April - Lost 3 so far
    My goal is to get under 200, arbitrarily chose 197 to give me some wiggle room because I intend to use 200lb as my benchmark number to never ever ever weight over 200 again!
    Feel free to add me, I enjoy golf, cycling, weight training, walking and learning languages (I speak Greek and Italian and am hoping to begin Spanish soon)
  • cpnknightcpnknight Member Posts: 199 Member Member Posts: 199 Member
    Well the day came and went. Was meant to weigh and measure on Sunday but I got drawn into helping a friend and didn't have time in the morning to sort out the measurements etc (i got up late).

    Monday 26th April 2021

    New start, new goal.
    • Target Weight = 200 lbs
    • Rate of Loss = 1-2 lbs a week
    • Time frame = When I get there

    Current stats as of 08:00 Monday 26th April 2021
    Weight...............314.4 lbs
    Waist (cm).........135
    Chest (cm)........130.5
    BMI...................39

    Now to start. As Sam Gamgees old gaffer says "It's the job as never started that takes the longest"
  • ThinMichelleSparklesThinMichelleSparkles Member Posts: 29 Member Member Posts: 29 Member
    .
    edited April 26
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Age: 51
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

    Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8
    February 28: 212
    March 7: 207.9
    March 14: 208.1
    March 21: 207.2
    March 28: 207.0
    April 4 : 207.3
    April 11: 206.5
    April 18: 208.2
    April 25: 207.3
    May 2. : 207.3

    Status Quo

    Glad I didn’t gain this week! still working on staying at or under my calories. Sometimes it’s good to look at how far you’ve gone so far.

    Have a great weekend!!

    Jill 🌸

    Happy Sunday!
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    Weight loss is not linear... so don’t get frustrated...😉
    csfzihc7p0ct.jpeg
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
  • azalea4175azalea4175 Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member
    I am halfway through my insurance prequalification for weight loss surgery. Still am not entirely convinced I will go through with it. What I am doing now is working, but I can't get where I want to be without it. Is my brain playing games with me overthinking and overanalyzing? pros, cons? I think in the long run it will be the best thing for me, but i come from a very judgy family and can hear their voices in the back of my mind telling me this is the "cheaters" way out.
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    I am halfway through my insurance prequalification for weight loss surgery. Still am not entirely convinced I will go through with it. What I am doing now is working, but I can't get where I want to be without it. Is my brain playing games with me overthinking and overanalyzing? pros, cons? I think in the long run it will be the best thing for me, but i come from a very judgy family and can hear their voices in the back of my mind telling me this is the "cheaters" way out.

    Let them say what they’re going to say… it’s not their life. It’s yours. 🥰 You deserve to feel happy.

    My husband is working through the same thing, and his mom talked him out of the surgery 20 years ago. He totally regrets it, but now he’s working toward it again.

    This is definitely not the cheaters way out… it will completely change the way you eat food. This will definitely not be easy, but it will be worth it.

    Jill

  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Age: 51
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

    Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8
    February 28: 212
    March 7: 207.9
    March 14: 208.1
    March 21: 207.2
    March 28: 207.0
    April 4 : 207.3
    April 11: 206.5
    April 18: 208.2
    April 25: 207.3
    May 2. : 207.3
    May 9: 208.4

    Not a great week, but definitely not a disaster!
    😉

    Jill
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
  • azalea4175azalea4175 Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member Member, Premium Posts: 288 Member
    My sister in law's (she lives next door) birthday was Tuesday, so we had a big family bbq on Monday night and took her to dinner last night. I've been eating off plan, and the scale is being a little grumpy. Mostly sodium, and a little extra sugar, so I'm not surprised but i am surprised my tummy is unhappy. I don't always "feel" or maybe recognize when crappy food affects my body. Think I am finally tuning in. Today will be all about clean eating and water, water, water to flush out everything making my body unhappy. I will also spend some time this weekend meal planning which I admit I did not do last weekend. That makes a huge difference.
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    My sister in law's (she lives next door) birthday was Tuesday, so we had a big family bbq on Monday night and took her to dinner last night. I've been eating off plan, and the scale is being a little grumpy. Mostly sodium, and a little extra sugar, so I'm not surprised but i am surprised my tummy is unhappy. I don't always "feel" or maybe recognize when crappy food affects my body. Think I am finally tuning in. Today will be all about clean eating and water, water, water to flush out everything making my body unhappy. I will also spend some time this weekend meal planning which I admit I did not do last weekend. That makes a huge difference.

    I’ve got to get it together with meal planning too! I don’t love to cook, so I need to keep things simple, healthy, and delicious. I hope you feel better today!

    Jill
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    I lost my logging streak of 402 days!
    Time to refocus and get logging again…. 🪵 🪵 🪵 🤣
  • aqua14lisaaqua14lisa Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    Well, most of May has been a write-off. Started at 213 and will likely miss my goal of 206 as today was 209. Birthday black forest cake was too much. Finding its easier to walk my distance in less time so upping distance but FP is reducing the calories being burned!! Still, progress being made. Upping my protein intake as well as calories, less muscle cramping. Waiting for new knitting needles so almost sitting on my hands while watching pm baseball so no snacking. Delighted to discover I'm 1/3 of the way to goal!!
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    aqua14lisa wrote: »
    Well, most of May has been a write-off. Started at 213 and will likely miss my goal of 206 as today was 209. Birthday black forest cake was too much. Finding its easier to walk my distance in less time so upping distance but FP is reducing the calories being burned!! Still, progress being made. Upping my protein intake as well as calories, less muscle cramping. Waiting for new knitting needles so almost sitting on my hands while watching pm baseball so no snacking. Delighted to discover I'm 1/3 of the way to goal!!

    Way to go!
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member

    My restart started today… feeling ready for a new week. Thanks to Gina B for the kickstart!

    ❤️Jill
  • poohbaby71poohbaby71 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    June 14 2021 - 213
    I’m trying to restart. June 2017 - June 2018, I lost 40#’s (212 to 172) here I am 3 years later and have gained all 40 back 😔. In the last two years I changed jobs from an active preschool teacher/house cleaning lady to a 9-5 desk job. I am always surrounded by unhealthy snacks that I fall victim to. I will turn 50 on September 3rd and I want to regain my motivation to be headed back down the ladder.
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    Happy Monday, friends!

    Time for a progress snapshot:

    x59ccoivnq3j.jpeg

    In the big picture of things, I have 7 more pounds to lose in order to hit my 30 pound goal. As you can see, it has taken me a while to get here, so I’m on the slow and mostly steady path to weight loss.

    Have a great day!

    Jill ❤️
  • jm216jm216 Member Posts: 2,463 Member Member Posts: 2,463 Member
    Here is the snapshot:

    91jnpngm0ptt.jpeg

    Jill
Sign In or Register to comment.