Has Anyone Else Experienced “Eye Contact Haters”?

Options
13»

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Yeah I am not even sure what is happening in this thread. My first thought would be that walking through a restaurant eating area in sweaty gym clothes might get some dirty looks.
    Are you saying that women often give you dirty looks - and you think it is because you are thin?

Outdoor restaurant seating lines both narrow sidewalks on both the routes home. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don’t think I’m that foul I’d offend diners, lol.

I’m going to out on a limb here. Yes. I do get looks. I get comments, too, super nice ones. So it’s not my imagination.

I have worked harder than you can ever imagine to reshape myself. Maybe it’s the colorful gear, maybe it’s the shock of seeing a greying grandma with guns. Maybe it’s my jaunty step.

I spent years attempting to “hide” gigantic boobs behind hunching and crossed arms. Same with obesity, hiding under loose tunics. I found myself trying to do the same with my new shape until I finally concluded “ I am doing this….why?”

So I’m working on my fledgling, seedling confidence, and it very much feels like I’m relearning society at the same time.

It’s a different set of experiences slim versus fat and that’s not all in my head.

I sympathize completely with the covering up/hiding of the large chest <3 as someone who has carried an ample bosom since I was 15 I was constantly trying to minimize/hide it with clothing and the hunching of shoulders/back and everything. As I got older I developed a new appreciation of my body and was fed up with feeling like I had to “apologize” for being large chested. I now wear whatever I want, unapologetically and I’m happier, also my posture has improved immensely! Be confident because the only opinion that really matters is your own! Especially if you’ve worked so hard to achieve your fitness, wear it with pride! I hope you never lose that spring in your step <3:)
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    I was sitting at the bar of a True Food Kitchen when the waiter delivered all 3 of my courses at once. Soup, salad, app. 800 calories total. My second meal of the day. A very "fit" couple came to pick up their takeout order. I guess they thought their masks concealed the sound of their voices, because they immediately started discussing me and my weight and the size of the order in front of me. "250 if he's a day," the man said. "No, this one here. Right here. Right here." I stared them into silence. My main thought was, yeah you look at me and see a fat guy overeating, I look at me and see a guy who was 60 lbs. heavier six months ago and is eating perfectly on plan. Walk a mile in my shoes, you fitties! :)

Judgment is an easy pastime. I've felt it myself, come and go, toward other people. For me, it's like I would feel lifted up for a moment by observing how I might be making "better" choices than someone else, etc. I now feel that judgment of the kind you experienced here is just a reflection of their insecurities, honestly. That's what it had always been for me, when I find myself feeling judgy. And you don't need to participate in that. It's not your problem, but their journey
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Yeah I am not even sure what is happening in this thread. My first thought would be that walking through a restaurant eating area in sweaty gym clothes might get some dirty looks.
    Are you saying that women often give you dirty looks - and you think it is because you are thin?

Outdoor restaurant seating lines both narrow sidewalks on both the routes home. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don’t think I’m that foul I’d offend diners, lol.

I’m going to out on a limb here. Yes. I do get looks. I get comments, too, super nice ones. So it’s not my imagination.

I have worked harder than you can ever imagine to reshape myself. Maybe it’s the colorful gear, maybe it’s the shock of seeing a greying grandma with guns. Maybe it’s my jaunty step.

I spent years attempting to “hide” gigantic boobs behind hunching and crossed arms. Same with obesity, hiding under loose tunics. I found myself trying to do the same with my new shape until I finally concluded “ I am doing this….why?”

So I’m working on my fledgling, seedling confidence, and it very much feels like I’m relearning society at the same time.

It’s a different set of experiences slim versus fat and that’s not all in my head.

OK I will take your word for it.

I was thin-ish and very fit in my 40's (5'10" / 140 lbs) and only fat now (after health issues) in my 50's so I have never experienced being an older (post-menopause) woman in a thinner body.

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Let me start with the fact that I get more positive feedback than negative. It's almost exclusively women who shoot the dirty look. It's not RBF either because the expression changes when looking at me. I was very hearing impaired as a child so I use body language and face cues more than most hearing people. I think it's because I walk with purpose(which is mistaken for confidence), I bounce and I have ample T&A dispite being not very big(at least now). Essentially I bounce in an attractive manner and I would guess I remind that person of a lack of confidence they have. Unfortunately while I'm bouncing around looking fabulous I forget I look attractive so it catches me off guard. When I have been heavier in contrast I didn't get looked at like that because I pay enough attention I would've noticed. It's a double edged sword though, at a heavier weight I got almost no super happy positive looks and 0 negative looks. Now I get lots of positive feedback and a weekly glare. I try to smile and hope those people don't think I judge them... I was them or similar. I would hope they know if they're unconfident they can absolutly change one little choice at a time like I am. It's normal for people to *kitten* others and feelings of envy or resentment are common feelings. Unfortunately especially in the US there's a ton of pressure for women to have the perfect body and that plays a role on self image and the assessment we make of others. I noticed it most on a road to my apartment complex where there's nothing but other walkers to look at so I can't ignore it or pretend it's something else. It won't kill me and I'll keep sending those people little smiles hoping to break their thought train and improve their mood.🙂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I was very hearing impaired as a child so I use body language and face cues more than most hearing people.

Oh. My. God. I was going to mention that I grew up in a hearing impaired household when Total Communication was still a thing and that maybe I was reading body language. But I didn’t want to have to explain it.

Maybe we are picking up cues others don’t.

Anyway, your experience very closely mirrors mine. Mine has been 99% positive. I even had some young gal high five me and say,”Looking good, mama” as we passed in the crosswalk a couple days ago. That absolutely made my day.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure no one is paying THAT much attention to me, and if they are, that's their problem?? I guarantee I don't have the power to ruin anyone's day just by existing in public where people can see me.

100% this.

I don't think I've ever taken enough notice of my surroundings to try and make eye contact with anyone who might be looking at me. :laugh:
  • itisjessdarling
    itisjessdarling Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I want to chime in here. I was overweight all through high school at 5'4" and 195lbs, I lost down to 123lbs over a couple of years and noticed what OP is talking about occasionally. I remember one specific time when I was working in a call center and decided to grab a snickers bar from the vending machine. I sat down at my desk and started eating it when the lady next to me (which was overweight) noticed and proceeded to announce loudly to everyone around her "Doesn't it just piss you off to see a skinny person eating a candy bar?" Everyone got a good laugh and it made me super insecure. All I could think was, if she only knew what weight issues I have dealt with would she have said it? Of course 15 years and 3 kids later im back overweight, but when I see a thin person it just motivates me to lose the weight again.

Maybe the looks are jealousy or it could be from being angry at themselves for being overweight and not doing anything about it when deep down they know they should.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think there is actually some psychology in play that makes people who are overweight/obese sort of... react to people who aren't, anymore.

And I think one of those is resentment born of the idea that weight is a thing outside their control and that is immutable. I used to sort of believe that. Some people get fat, some don't and it's all just down to luck. That makes it easy to resent the people you see who are luckier than you.

Unfortunately, the idea that it *isn't* just luck is also a thing that you can't really broach without seeming like a sanctimonious jerk, so usually the answer is still just ignoring what seems to be going on in other people's heads for your own sake.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I was reading some fashion blog (not my usual thing but I had gone down a rabbit hole) the other day. The young lady said something to the effect that she although she loved it, wouldn’t wear a certain brand because she herself was trapped in a “privileged” body which wasn’t fair to her roommate, because the brand didn’t carry the roomate’s size.

She went on to discuss the unfairness of hers and other “privileged bodies” for several paragraphs.

I was aghast at the mental gymnastics. Plus, my takeaway was that she secretly though her roommate was a fat pig, cramping her style.
  • wunderkindking
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I was reading some fashion blog (not my usual thing but I had gone down a rabbit hole) the other day. The young lady said something to the effect that she although she loved it, wouldn’t wear a certain brand because she herself was trapped in a “privileged” body which wasn’t fair to her roommate, because the brand didn’t carry the roomate’s size.

She went on to discuss the unfairness of hers and other “privileged bodies” for several paragraphs.

I was aghast at the mental gymnastics. Plus, my takeaway was that she secretly though her roommate was a fat pig, cramping her style.

I mean. I'll be honest, if a brand only does small/medium/large I'm not buying from them, either. My weight isn't luck and I didn't like being fat but I kind of believe clothes should exist for fat (and very small) people that aren't ugly and/or cheap. So I tend to support companies who make that possible.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    If I happen to stare at a person it is because the person is in my way. I don't have a lot of time to get things done so I like to go into places get what I need and go. But now and then there will be someone who just stands in the way for no apparent reason. So there will be a moment where I stare ... glare.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    kathcandu wrote: »
    In the little town I live in, there's a central park, that is surrounded by a pretty nice sidewalk. Many people walk that for exercise. A couple of years back, while I was driving past (where I, myself, should have been walking), I saw a woman, about my same size, walking on the walkway, alone. She wasn't gracefully gliding, but nearly flat-footed, struggling along, obviously winded and tired.

I beeped my horn, as I stopped at the corner stop sign. I'm sure she was expecting rude comments or worse, as she turned her head and glared at me. I threw a "thumbs up" to her. Her face, beamed with a huge, lovely smile and she seemed to gain renewed stamina, when encouraged!

I've just now lost 37#. My goal, now that I'm recovering from some health issues, which prevented me, is to start walking, for exercise. I will work my way up, to making it around the little park. And, I will remember that woman, as I do! To this day, I regret not parking my car and walking with her...I may have missed making a Friend & walking buddy. I hope we, too, look for the opportunity to uplift others :)<3 ~kath

I always want to do this - give a thumbs-up to large people I see pushing themselves to exercise - being a large person myself now and knowing how welcome this would feel. I never have, thinking it might be thought of as too intrusive. But I'm glad you do/have, and have gotten a positive response. I think I'm going to try it.
  • NC_Girl
    NC_Girl Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. Not once when I walked into a Lane Bryant or Torrid did I say.. I'm not shopping here because you don't sell size 0-12.' Stores have specialties just like car dealers.... I have not seen any Jaguars in a Toyota dealership either. But I guess everyone has their own pet peeves. 🙂
  • wunderkindking
    edited June 2021
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »

I know what you mean. Not once when I walked into a Lane Bryant or Torrid did I say.. I'm not shopping here because you don't sell size 0-12.' Stores have specialties just like car dealers.... I have not seen any Jaguars in a Toyota dealership either. But I guess everyone has their own pet peeves. 🙂

Specialty stores don't bother me.

The impossibility or near impossibility of finding workout wear that isn't trash when really obese is an issue. I don't even mean just unattractive I mean nonfunctional and bad quality. Bathing suits are the same.

Do you want fat people to get healthier or not? Because not having to go in heavy sweats or see through clothes (of cheap quality variety) that tear and still cost a lot and are sold in 4 locations would be a good start there.

And, yeah, torrid work out clothes absolutely apply there.

My peeve is more generally just 'I hate torrid. they're expensive and bad quality.'.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I actually bought some great workout gear on Amazon that fit great and was wonderful quality when I was heavy. I still use them for pj’s.

I tried shopping at LuLuLemon one time and was badly snubbed. I was so crushed at the (perceived) attitude of a couple of sales staff who told me they doubted they had anything that would fit me, I swore I’d never buy their product if ever I could fit it, but I have a few pieces now because my studio sells it. It was more important to support the wonderful folks at my studio through tough COVID times than dissing Lulu.

It wasn’t til I lost weight and rewarded myself with new workout gear that I discovered other brands.

KDeer has up to size 4X and proudly includes models of all shapes and sizes in their website.

Any new leggings I add to my collection automatically get the “deep forward fold butt test”. Fat or thin, that still happens. Another reason to own busy, colorful leggings. Worry : eliminated.