Options

Replies

• inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight on Tuesday September 6th: 144 pounds

Weigh In on Tuesday September 13th: 143 pounds
    Lost 1 pound :)

Goal Weight For 11 Weeks From Now: 139 pounds (lose 5 pounds) (lose about 1/2 a pound a week)

Non Scale Victory Goals: Get back on track with the 3 goals I made earlier in 2011.
    (1) Stay under my calories 5 to 6 days of the week: HAVEN'T ACCOMPLISHED THIS YET AS YESTERDAY WAS THE FIRST DAY I FULLY COMPLETED MY FOOD DIARY BUT AT LEAST THAT IS A START IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
    (2) Exercise 180 minutes a week (30 minutes, 6 days a week): I OVERACHIEVED THIS ONE! :) I DID 230 MINUTES SO 50 MINUTES ABOVE MY GOAL. WOOHOO!!!
    (3) Drink 4 to 6 glasses of water a day: NOT ON TRACK WITH THIS YET BUT YESTERDAY I DID MEASURE, DRINK, AND LOG 6 GLASSES SO GETTING BACK ON TRACK.

As for this week's posted challenge:
    (1) 10 glasses of water a day: TOOK THE WATER CHALLENGE BUT MODIFIED IT TO GET BACK ON TRACK WITH DRINKING 4 -6 GLASSES A DAY AND ONLY KNOW I ACHIEVED THAT YESTERDAY.
    (2) Exercising 30 minutes a day: THAT WOULD EQUAL 210 MINUTES A WEEK AND SINCE I DID 230 MINUTES LAST MONDAY TO SUNDAY I DID ACHIEVE THIS ONE WHICH IS A BIT OF A SURPRISE TO ME! :)
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    SW: 213
    W1: 213

I really need to get my butt in gear. It appears the only way to get the scale to move is to work it off. Just watching what I eat is not working at all.

Hope everyone has a great day.
  • xreinvention
    xreinvention Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight on September 6, 2011: 158.4lbs
    Goal Weight by November 22, 2011: 143.0lbs

Week One on September 13, 2011: 156.4lbs
    How my weekly goals went: I did pretty good on the water. I may not have gotten the 10 in but at least 8 every day. As for the exercise, due to my UTI I haven't been able to. :( Oh well, there's always next week!
  • hopelyss
    Options
    SW (9/6/11): 186.6
    Week 1 (9/13/11): 183.6
    GW (11/22/11): 171

Whoo hoo! Three pound loss! I don't know how I did it because I took two days off from exercising, but I guess with all the stress I'm going through it was what my body needed. Did pretty good with my water. I didn't hit 10 glasses everyday, but I did always get at least 8 and started carrying a bottle of water to work.
  • fitsize12
    Options
    Hope I am not too late for this. I keep falling off the fitness waggon so need to try something. My weight last week was the same as this week 176lb. Would love to be 160 by end November.
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    9/6 SW: 147.2
    9/13: 145.8

Does anyone else feel like they are continuously gaining/losing the same 5lbs? thats so me right now.
  • gracemleone
    Options
    SW 9/6: 132
    Week 1: 130
    GW: 115

Week 1 challenge:
    Water 7/7
    Exercise 6/7
    NSV's: All accomplished, new goal is to keep them up.

New goal for this week: Strength train 3 days this week.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    HI all!!
    I am posting this weeks challenge...I wanted to post it last night, sorry...but we were out of state all day for a funeral...

Exercise:
    Try to get in at least 20 minutes of strength training a day this week. Strength training refers to exercise that requires your muscles to exert a force against some form of resistance, such as free weights. Performing strength training exercises 2-3 x a week for 20 minutes yields terrific results. Some misconceptions associated with weight training are that women would produce bulging muscles and/or they would seriously injure themselves lifting weights. It is very difficult for a woman to produce large muscles due to the fact that women generally have high levels of the hormone estrogen. The fact is improvements are made in muscle tone, strength and endurance and not necessarily in size.
    Here is a great page all about strength training and it shows various moves you can do:
    http://www.womensheart.org/content/exercise/strength_training.asp

Food:
    I'm big on veggies since starting this healthy journey! Let's all make sure we get in 2-3 servings of veggies in our meal diary's everyday this week! Get creative! They don't have to be with every meal, but the more the merrier...did you know you can add spinach to your eggs in the morning? I haven't tried that yet but I bet its good...
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Current Weight: 155
    SW: 155
    So no change for me!!! And yes Stacy, that is so me...I haven't got back up to 160 but the closer I get to my goal the more I'm gaining and losing those 5 pounds...and I still would like to lose 15, it's frustrating for sure...congrats on your loss!
  • helena98
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like they are continuously gaining/losing the same 5lbs? thats so me right now.

YES! I've been gaining/losing the same 5 pounds from July 11 to September 5! But I'm happy to report that I FINALLY broke my plateau with today's weigh-in.

9/6 SW: 196.0
    9/13: 193.4

Here's hoping I won't hit another plateau anytime soon!!!
  • gracemleone
    Options

Exercise:
    Try to get in at least 20 minutes of strength training a day this week.

Food:
    I'm big on veggies since starting this healthy journey! Let's all make sure we get in 2-3 servings of veggies in our meal diary's everyday this week! Get creative! They don't have to be with every meal, but the more the merrier...did you know you can add spinach to your eggs in the morning? I haven't tried that yet but I bet its good...

Perfect! I just started a strength training routine yesterday. I spent a lot of time researching what moves to do, how many reps, how many sets etc.. and came up with a great routine for beginners. If anyone needs a structured weekly routine, I'll be happy to post it. :)

As for the food, even though I'm a pesca-vegetarian (vegetarian who eats seafood), I haven't been getting enough veggies lately. There is always bread, rice, pasta, sweets etc lol! So this challenge will help me cut down on all that.
    Also, if anyone needs veggie recipes, I have a ton I can share with you.
    Oh, and spinach and eggs are awesome, you can try to make an egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes and a little bit of feta cheese.. so good!!

Hope everyone has a great week this week!
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Perfect! I just started a strength training routine yesterday. I spent a lot of time researching what moves to do, how many reps, how many sets etc.. and came up with a great routine for beginners. If anyone needs a structured weekly routine, I'll be happy to post it. :)

[/quote]

Please do post your strength training routine. I'm always confused about what to do.
    Thanks,
    Opal
  • gracemleone
    Options

I've been doing the same thing for months.I've been going between 130-135 since May!! But that's because I wasn't trying hard enough, my biggest problem was everytime I ate a little bit of something I shouldn't, I would consider my whole day ruined, so I would go ahead and eat the whole pint of ice cream instead of stopping at the 1/2 cup that I just had and tell myself I'll just start over tomorrow.
    This is such a stupid way to look at things!! :noway: I mean, why turn small damage into huge damage? I get so annoyed at myself when I think I could have reached my GW months ago :mad:

But oh well, it's never too late to change and have been doing good the past 2 weeks.
  • vcmete222
    Options
    Yay, I lost 3.6 pounds this week! I have to say, knowing I would be weighing in this morning really kept me motivated during the week. It's nice to be accountable, so thank you!
    I exercised 6/7 days, but do at least an hour a day. I also got my water in, which took some getting used to, but I can tell it made a difference.
  • jessicamarie81
    Options
    Glad you all like this weeks challenge!! As I get closer and closer to my goal, massive amounts of cardio just isn't what the body needs anymore...I'm trying to focus more on strength, I know I still need cardio but less to lose, sounds crazy huh? But being here at MFP has taught me a lot! I'd love for anyone to share their strength training routine!!
    And the omelet sounds wonderful!! I have all those ingredients here right now...might have to get out the skillet right now, lol
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    haha glad I'm not the only one. The first challenge I did on MFP I did sooo well! now for the past 3 months I've been bouncing between 143-149.. its really annoying.

Stregnth training.. I only do 3 days a week. My trainer was real adament about giving your muscles time to fully recover which is why he told me to stop circuit training. So M W F I stregnth train (I'll switch it up for the day to suit me)

M- I do abs/legs. This is going to mostly strenghten my core and honestly, this is the only day that I'm allowed a video. Level 2 of the 6W 6P really does a killer work out for your legs/abs without really focusing elsewhere. I do mine with an 8lb weight for resistance.

W- Biceps and back. this usually consists of bicep curls (whether with hand weights or barbell... I prefer barbell), hammer curls, concentration curls, and I do a lot of work on my ball. Back strengthining I do bent over rows, bent knee plank with rows. I try to use a heavier weight for these and less reps.

Th- Triceps & Shoulders- includes kickbacks, dips, push ups, shoulder press, shoulder squeeze, lateral pull down, seated rows (which are my favorite because I can adjust the weights on the machine).

I do cardio in between. that way I give my muscles adequate recovery time.

Edit: I also want to add that I do try to change up the strength training I do on a week to week basis so I don't fall into muscle memory. and because I feel like a wealth of knowledge today he said for fat burning cardio to not let my heart rate get above 145! seriously, you know how hard that is? When I was running my heart rate would get between 165-190, so I had to cut it out all together and now I walk at an incline for 45 minutes. or do the elliptical which is pretty low on the heart rate front as well. That number varies based on your weight but once you reach a certain HR you start burning through your protein and since I don't get enough protein daily, I was told to quit the running.
  • morgan511
    morgan511 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SW 9/6: 150
    Week 1: 148.8
    GW: 135

Week 1 challenge:
    Water 5/7
    Exercise 5/7

Overall on the challenge I did pretty well. The weekend is what got me. I am looking forward to this weeks challenge because I have been trying to incorporate veggies back into my diet along with strength training back into my exercise.

I haven't posted my NSV's yet for this challenge. I would like to start exercising a minimum of 6 days a week and I want to raise my protein intake to 30% (90g) of my daily diet.
  • gracemleone
    Options

Please do post your strength training routine. I'm always confused about what to do.
    Thanks,
    Opal

Ok. so some info first:
    -This is for beginners (beginner=anyone who hasn't strength trained regularly in 6 months).

-Uses only dumbbells, and a bench. But if you have barbells, access to a gym or other equipment, feel free to change it up, as long as you are targeting the same muscle groups. I don't have a bench, so I use an aerobics step. If you don't have that either, you can even put 2 stools together and lay on that. You basically need something that will allow your elbows to go below your body on each side when you lay down.

- From my research I found out that beginners benefit the most from a 3 day a week full body workout plan, rather than the split routines many people do. That is good for more advanced people.

- Don't expect to gain any muscle because to actually gain muscle weight, you need to have a caloric surplus. Most of us here are trying to lose weight so we all need a caloric deficit. But what a strength straining program does for people trying to lose weight is, MAINTAIN muscle, so when we lose the fat on top of the muscle, we actually have muscles that show. This is what "toning up" means. After you have reached a low body fat, that's when you can have a caloric surplus and gain weight in muscle.

- Women will NOT bulk up like men do, so lift heavy.

- How heavy? Everyone's definition of heavy is different. To determine the ideal weight for you, pick up a weight and do 6-8 reps. If you feel like you can go on and on and on and keep doing it, it's way too light. If you are aiming for 8 reps, you shouldn't be able to do more than 9-10 reps with your selected weight. Once you reach 10, you should be too tired to do another one. So at around 8 reps, you should be tired, but with 1 or 2 more reps remaining. For me, this is about an 8lbs dumbbell in each hand.

-Do not weigh yourself when you are sore. I know this might not happen to everyone but when I first started running, I was sore all over and even though I was eating right, I gained 3lbs the first few days. I know this is from muscles retaining water and glycogen when they are sore to repair themselves, but nevertheless, it can be very discouraging. So don't weigh yourself, or don't freak out when you weigh yourself :)

-We will not be working each and every muscle group every single time because when you work your large muscles, you already work in the smaller ones like biceps and triceps and calves.

-Lastly, here is the website I did all my research on:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/
    and another website where I found what moves to do for what muscle group. I found the info in the above website helpful but didn't like the exercise routine they came up with. So the following website is great for selecting the exercises. You can use this to substitute any exercise, it's great because it sorts by muscle group, equipment used (dumbell, barbell, body weight etc..) and shows you what muscle is what) Also check this website out if you don't know how to do any of the exercises I will list below, you can see an animation of it and an explanation of correct form.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

And finally, my routine :)

It is the same for Mon-Wed-Fri and I will change it up in 1-2 months.

Back: Dumbbell bent over row- 8 reps 3 sets
    Chest: Dumbbell bench press- 8 reps 3 sets
    Quads (Thighs): Dumbbell squats- 8 reps 3 sets
    Hamstrings (Upper back leg): Dumbbell straight leg deadlifts- 8 reps 3 sets
    Abs: Bicycle crunches: 8 reps 3 sets
    Shoulders: Dumbbell lateral raises 8 reps 3 sets

The following is optional:
    Mon: Add 6 reps 2 sets of dumbbell tricep extensions to the above.
    Wed: Add 6 reps 2 sets of standing calf raises with dumbbells to the above.
    Fri: Add 6 reps 2 sets of dumbbell bicep curls to the above.

We already work these muscles when we do the main routine but I personally feel like I need to concentrate on these 3 areas, not sure if it will make a big difference though.

Oh, and lastly, the first day, pick a really light weight like a 4lbs dumbbell and do your first exercise just to focus on form. Don't worry about the weight at first, just make sure you are doing it right, that's very important.

I hope this helped, and I know it was a long post but the information really helped me. I personally can't just follow a routine blindly if I'm not sure it's the right thing for me, that's why I need info and references so I can make sure it's a good routine.. that's why I posted all that info first.. Hopefully it wasn't a boring read :yawn:

Have a great week everyone :bigsmile:
  • Cusegirl1992
    Options

YES! I've been gaining/losing the same 5 pounds from July 11 to September 5! But I'm happy to report that I FINALLY broke my plateau with today's weigh-in.

9/6 SW: 196.0
    9/13: 193.4

Here's hoping I won't hit another plateau anytime soon!!!

I have been losing/gaining the same 5lbs since about June...it is quite frustrating. I am hoping to make a change this time around!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    So, I've been working really hard, but am a bit stuck. I find it hard to believe that one afternoon of drinking at a beer fest completely and totally busted the whole week, expecially since I played 2 games of ultimate the day after. But this week is a new week. So here are my official stats as of this am:
    SW 9/6: 162.
    CW 9/13: 162.5
    GW: 155
    NSV: decrease inches and increase muscle tone - still need to take my measurements so I have a "baseline" to go off of