60 yrs and up

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Drive-by check in. My wife is making progress - back pain is lessening. She should be home by next week. That will improve her mood, I hope. Then we can start the second phase of this journey.

Good to see all of you working on your goals. Reminds me to stay on track, too.

That's really good news, Steve. Keeping hope that she may achieve a real remission, but even the reduced pain and good days are a wonderful thing - not that you need someone to tell you that!

Continuing to think of you both, send positive wishes.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    🙏great news Steve!
  • Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    Hi everyone
    I feel as if my metabolism has slowed so much it is just about in reverse!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️is it even possible for my metabolism to slow down? Can I kick start it?? A good dose of fasting or a dose of something even!!!🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️
    Nice to see the blogs, inspiring
    Nice news Steve. 🤗🤗
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Steve-good to hear positive news of your wife, and that her pain has diminished. Being back in your own home will help so much with the stress of all this. Sending daily hugs.

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Drive-by check in. My wife is making progress - back pain is lessening. She should be home by next week. That will improve her mood, I hope. Then we can start the second phase of this journey.

Good to see all of you working on your goals. Reminds me to stay on track, too.

Good to hear Steve!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    Tuppence26 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I feel as if my metabolism has slowed so much it is just about in reverse!! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️is it even possible for my metabolism to slow down? Can I kick start it?? A good dose of fasting or a dose of something even!!!🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️
    Nice to see the blogs, inspiring
    Nice news Steve. 🤗🤗

It's true that the average person's basal or resting metabolic rate (BMR/RMR) will be a little lower with increasing years, and also true that there's a bit we can do about it, though I don't think it's realistic to expect speedy giant impacts. (Regular exercise including reasonable doses of intensity can improve mitochondria, for example, and help RMR/BMR; also, we can do strength exercise to keep muscle-mass higher, which has a small positive impact on BMR/RMR but - I suspect - more importantly makes it easier and more fun to be more active, so we're more likely to do it, even in subconscious ways.)

Bigger factors are (1) the impact of exercise itself on calorie burn, and (2) things we can do to increase daily life activity (NEAT). In case you haven't seen it before, this thread has some ideas about increasing daily life activity:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Fasting: I haven't seen anything that makes me think that would have a big impact on calorie burn, either through BMR/RMR, or other mechanisms. It's super trendy, though. 🤷‍♀️ I'm sure others will report different experiences.

It's tempting to think that some short term strategy (like fasting) can make a quick difference, but I think that there's more realistically a gradual return on patiently investing in longer-term strategies, like strength training, improving cardiovascular fitness, creating a bias toward more movement in daily life, eating more simple foods (which take more energy to digest and metabolize, i.e. TEF (thermic efficiency of food) and that sort of thing.

As always when I'm typing: Just my opinions/experience, others may differ.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

In my world, recent fun is helping out with my club's learn to row class. Photo is me (in orange) stabilizing my double shell (my oar blades flat on water as stabilizers) so that a new learner can practice and improve her rowing skills. (I edited the photo to hide her face because I don't have her permission to do otherwise). I just love helping introduce new people to rowing, especially when they're in our age group, and trying it out for the first time. (The woman in the photo is younger, 30s/40s probably, but some in the class are around our age. Hope I'll get to row with some of them later in the month.)

I think I'd like to learn to row. But it's not a sport that is practiced much here in the desert. ;) Ah well.

Best of luck with the surgery when it happens.

• michaelhardie13
    michaelhardie13 Posts: 17 Member

It's true that the average person's basal or resting metabolic rate (BMR/RMR) will be a little lower with increasing years, and also true that there's a bit we can do about it, though I don't think it's realistic to expect speedy giant impacts. (Regular exercise including reasonable doses of intensity can improve mitochondria, for example, and help RMR/BMR; also, we can do strength exercise to keep muscle-mass higher, which has a small positive impact on BMR/RMR but - I suspect - more importantly makes it easier and more fun to be more active, so we're more likely to do it, even in subconscious ways.)

Bigger factors are (1) the impact of exercise itself on calorie burn, and (2) things we can do to increase daily life activity (NEAT). In case you haven't seen it before, this thread has some ideas about increasing daily life activity:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Awesome discussion of NEAT!
    I used to look for ways to make fewer trips, like "the lazy man's load" - carry EVERYTHING in ONE trip. I'm not down to only carrying one item at a time, but now I laugh a little when I have to make extra trips around the yard or up the stairs. 😄
  • DitzyDeb1
    DitzyDeb1 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi Trekkie123. Thanks for the welcome. The hospice I retired from runs a free bereavement camp for kids every summer. It’s really fun to help these kids who have lost parents, grandparents, siblings, pets, etc. We teach them coping skills and also help them understand it is OK to laugh and have fun in spite of their loss. It’s interesting that we are retired from similar backgrounds. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
    Deb
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    So great to be seeing so many new over-60 participants here lately. I'm always paranoid when I mention this that I'll overlook someone new (apologies if so!), but lately I've noticed @dejavuohlala, @mh1960/Maggie, @DitzyDeb1, @bren5535, @sparrow152. Glad you - and any other new folks - are here: Hoping to hear continuing progress reports!

In my world, recent fun is helping out with my club's learn to row class. Photo is me (in orange) stabilizing my double shell (my oar blades flat on water as stabilizers) so that a new learner can practice and improve her rowing skills. (I edited the photo to hide her face because I don't have her permission to do otherwise). I just love helping introduce new people to rowing, especially when they're in our age group, and trying it out for the first time. (The woman in the photo is younger, 30s/40s probably, but some in the class are around our age. Hope I'll get to row with some of them later in the month.)

xaq0b6ru21ad.jpg

On the more irritating front, though small potatoes, an eye surgery I was supposed to have this week (pars plana vitrectomy) got deferred because of the doctor's schedule, so I'm back in wait mode to hope for better vision in my left eye (currently 20/150!). I'll have to take at least a week off regular activity (like rowing) after the surgery, which is a major drag especially during on-water rowing season, but at this point I'm impatient to get the surgery out of the way, see if it helps.

Hope the eye surgery is successful. Awesome pix! Not something I’d think I’d want to do, but cool that you do it!