Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Demi Lovato's Twitter about an LA fro-yo shop: eating disorder recovery or sense of entitlement?

2»

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited April 2021
    I love Demi Lovato and have so much empathy for her since I’ve also struggled with eating disorders from a young age. I can understand her having such a strong reaction, in the early stages of my own recovery I was extremely selfish and my concern was completely self-centered, but it really is our own responsibility to either avoid our triggers (and if we can’t, find another way to deal with them). I don’t think Demi is truly entitled (she could be somewhat, don’t know her), but I think recovering from eating disorders AND severe trauma and substance abuse, combined with being a highly visible celebrity in a culture that rewards calling out people, businesses, etc for the most minor perceived slights just created the perfect bad situation. Thankfully the shop seems to be doing well anyhow, and hopefully it doesn’t derail Demi’s recovery. On a side note, if I really wanted to avoid diet culture I’d probably go to a traditional ice cream shop and not a Frozen Yogurt place.

Thank you for this perspective. This is kind of what I was wondering. I actually think she's quite talented and really feel for all she's been through. I think she thought she was coming from a "good place" in trying to educate others about eating disorders and how diet culture, in general, can be damaging...or at least that's what she told herself (and others).
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I agree that it's a sense of entitlement. Hollywood produced a defective product and Demi Lovato was proud to prove it with her public display of stupidity! Anything for a snippet of attention!

The idea that she's merely a "product" is probably part of the reason she developed emotional issues. Even if she's totally and completely wrong (I'd argue she is), she's still human, not a messed up product.

Uhhhh okay...
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    I agree that it's a sense of entitlement. Hollywood produced a defective product and Demi Lovato was proud to prove it with her public display of stupidity! Anything for a snippet of attention!

The idea that she's merely a "product" is probably part of the reason she developed emotional issues. Even if she's totally and completely wrong (I'd argue she is), she's still human, not a messed up product.

Uhhhh okay...

I'm curious about what part of my post provoked this reaction. Do you genuinely see her as a mere "defective product"?

My point is that when people are hurting (which she pretty clearly seems to be), it can result in lashing out at the wrong people or making mistakes in reasoning or judgment. This doesn't mean we can't respond to those things, but writing her off as a "defective product" seems so harsh and maybe part of the reason why child stars seem to so often struggle as they age.

My approach is probably tempered by the fact that I have a younger sibling who has struggled with opioid addiction (thankfully now in recovery). When I look at people like Demi Lovato, I can't help but see the hurting human there.

For her sake, I hope she leans into whatever support system she has in place before that hurt leads her down the path to relapsing back on the hardcore stuff. I'd argue that this lashing out means she should look into absolute sobriety vs. "California Sober", but each addict's recovery and journey is their own.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    Aaaaaaaand now Demi has a comedy pilot called Hungry about a group of friends who belong to a food issues group.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,571 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I knew there was a rant but not the specifics until this post. It was definitely a dumb and selfish one and I feel like if things trigger you, it's your responsibility to walk away and not someone who's just trying to make a living.

I would almost say it was for PR but it's also rumored she's not exactly sober these days so it could be that too.

Bringing this back because....uh....PR.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 195 Member
    Entitled. That seems like an entirely person rant about one persons specific opinions. I don't even think those feeling generalize to most people with eating disorder -- some might find healthier options reassuring, whereas others may find the info or number of choices distressing. But basically, offering different types of yogurt is well within what one would expect at a yogurt shop. So get over it.