Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    Gggggg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :) Today I went to line dance for the first time since March 2020. There were only 16 of us in a large room and all were respectful of each other's space. I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. The dances came back to me easily but many of the others had lot of challenges. It felt good to dance with a group again. On Friday I'll teach my beginner class which is likely to be larger.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    What do you do for fun?

uaw2am8e2tsy.png

One of the reasons I ask this is because it came up in my memories in FB.

Another reason is because the Australian carer's organisation has made some changes in the past year and are now trying to connect with me. They've rung me twice so far ... once when I was waiting to go into a Dr appointment with my husband and once when I was at work. I couldn't talk to them either time.

I have finally connected with them via email, but they want to hold a 30 minute phone conversation with me to update my details and discuss how they can support me. It's nice that they think they want to support me now (3 years ago when I really needed it, I was turned down several times ... they didn't offer the type of support I needed). But a 30 minute phone conversation during their business hours??? Who has 30 minutes to talk on the phone?

So this got me to thinking about fun again.

When I take leave, fun is lying in bed or on the sofa reading novels. It's cycling in the middle of the day. It's browsing through little shops and stopping at a cafe. :)

But otherwise I work, care for my husband, try to squeeze some exercise in, and chip away at my 2021 list of things to do.

Do you have time for fun?

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: T’ai Chi, Post Office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market, dog group, BP,
    Bonus: 2 loads laundry
    Get to do: take BP, chiro, type hymns, dogs to powerline, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: finish and email draft minutes, contact list, drop off cookies, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Joyful June:
    17-Take time to notice things that you find beautiful.

“Ford Key Free not found in car…” oh but yes, there it is in my pocket. Second time its happened recently, tried again and it worked but suspect battery’s going. Stopped in at AutoParts store (easier in and out and shadier parking than BiMart) on way to dog group. The gal was increcibly helpful, even changing the battery for me (not necessary, I’ve done it before, but she was so determined to help I didn’t want to discourage her.) Joyful June’s “Speak to others in a warm and friendly way” really reaped some benefits… ;)

Karen ((hugs))
    Macha “…as big as caribou…” LOL! :noway: guess I can never go to Canada, I exude some “Party Time! Come drink deep” pheromone. [sigh]
    Flea ((hugs)) and prayers.
    Barbie the zucchini plant pastor’s wife gave me is struggling. It came with 3 little fruits on it and now the smallest fruit is fading from deep green to a sickish yellow. I’m hoping it was just too much rain and that it will recover soon.
    Margaret Tumble’s coat could be beautifully maintained with a twice weekly brushing, but alas, I frequently slip up, then it takes hours of combing, but I just :love: a shaggy dog. ;)
    Welcome @Keran24 Karen in Ohio! We’re glad you’re here!
    Welcome @xblosh in Indonesia, sending :love: right back to you.
    Sue in WA that is one smart mare!
    Ginger ((hugs))
    Machka your situation breaks my heart. I’m retired so yes, I do have time for fun, and line dancing, beach walking and dinking around in the kitchen or garden or on the compter are the main ones. Lately I’ve been chopping brush and while it’s hard work, it’s also fun . . . in a weird way.

Dear friend R brought her new poodle to dog group for the first time today. They both did incredibly well, he’s a very mellow, non-reactive dog, just as you’d expect of any dog of R’s.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 15, weigh/wii: 15/0/0; steps>6362=9286, vits=14, log=15, CI<CO=14, CI<250<CO=10, Tumble=9, Shadow=12 mfp=15, outside=16, up hill=13, clean 10=2.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue: LD=3 Wed: TC=2 PW=1 Thurs: PW=1, watched part of principles of pilates. Fri: TC=2 Sat: PW=1, rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/6:141.8 6/12: 142.4 6/20: 6/27: 6/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=2, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka your situation breaks my heart. I’m retired so yes, I do have time for fun, and line dancing, beach walking and dinking around in the kitchen or garden or on the compter are the main ones. Lately I’ve been chopping brush and while it’s hard work, it’s also fun . . . in a weird way.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

I am hoping to get through my 2021 list in 2021 (or maybe 2022) and then actually be reasonably caught up and in order. Then, finally, I might have time. But so far, I haven't made much progress on my 2021 list because every time I start on something it is like Pandora's box or Mary Poppin's carpet bag. I think I'll take a couple evenings and do this thing ... and about 3 weeks later I'm still working on something related to it that I didn't realise was an issue when I created the list. I'm trying to just finish one thing now ... then maybe I can move on to the next thing.

That said, today I bought colouring books and pencil crayons. I have heaps of novels, boxes of puzzles, these colouring books now, and of course my Rubik's Cube and I'm thinking I need to take one evening each week and make it a "play evening". It might be Wednesdays because that's when Midsommer Murders is on.

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Karen in Ohio

Welcome to a great group!

Karen in Virginia
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    REBECCA happy birthday xx

VIV welcome back

Bit off my game at the moment, gallbladder playing up, doc has referred me to the consultant. How long that will take ???
    Only silver lining is it helps me lose weight, not a good way to do it though!!!

Kate UK ❤️
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Well what a change in the weather here, no thunderstorms as predicted (yet), but it has rained non stop since the early hours ( I didn't believe the weather forecast - they are usually wrong :D )

I enjoyed seeing everyone again at my Afternoon Tea yesterday, but it was too hot! We sat outside under large umbrellas, but think we might have been better inside where it was air conditioned. The sandwiches soon dried up and the cream for the scones went "runny" There were a few new people there too. I'm still undecided about rejoining next month.

Kate UK sorry your gallbladder is playing up, hope it is not too long before you get an appointment with the consultant.

More I wanted to say but DS has reminded me we have to go to the shop so I'll end for now

Take care ladies <3

Viv York UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,161 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Morning, my little chickadees. DH has gone out for the day birdwatching with one of his pals. It's good to have the whole day to myself, although I do appreciate his company when he is here. I'm taking the opportunity to catch up with you lovely ladies.

KateUK: - 😫 Gall bladder problems. Hope you see consultant soonest.
    Tracey: - Well done on the payroll rollout!
    Machka: - (((hugs))) Like Barbara, I sympathise so much with you in the dramatic changes in your life in recent years. In answer to your question, as a retired person I also have time to have fun, but it's the simple pleasures that please me most. Writing, reading, walking, dancing, spending time with family, painting, craft, gardening, doing puzzles, watching TV, doing exercise videos ..... I'm pleased to see in a later post that you have taken steps to insert some fun into your life.
    KarenVA: - OMG! I've so been there in our earlier days with DH at times, and I'm ashamed to say, on both sided. We have mellowed considerably as the years have passed.
    Ginger TX: - I have been following your progress, and I've noticed that your streaks of not bingeing are getting longer. Try not to beat yourself up when you fall of the wagon. It takes time to build up new habits. You have a lot to deal with at the moment.
    Flea: - (((Hugs))) As others have said, lean on lots of different people. Each one will give you something different in return. Good to see some progress. Bureaucracy grind exceedingly slow.
    Katla: - You have had a great opportunity to make lots of lovely memories with your family to cherish.
    Rebecca: - It is indeed a Utopian dream. But not all of us have the same dream. 😂 My dream would need to have forests and mountains. Did I miss your birthday. If so, hope it was a good one.

Many welcomes to our new people. Feel free to jump in when the topic appeals to you. We are a friendly bunch and love new people joining our group.

I'm planning to pockle round the garden before lunch and go for a walk this afternoon. Hope everyone has a lovely day.

☘️ Terri

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake but feel tired,havent slept well and constantly tired maybe thats why i need the iron... and i messaged my GP and she said if my eyes keep bothering me reduce my driving.. which im not doing alot and if it gets worse go to the ED at Yale where the Dr practices from..
    Here us hoping i dont have to do that.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,398 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Been busy writing up a half dozen assignments on the freelance writing side. Still three more due by Monday. Will provide some cash for the kitty, so that's good.

Yesterday, I just sat around feeling sorry for myself until after noon, and then got up and did a few things, even actually made dinner for a change. Corey asked for meatloaf - I made it, but it was kinda awful. He ate it - the boy will eat pretty much anything that doesn't eat him first - but I couldn't stomach it. The recipe called for far too much onion, which is not my favorite.

The pity party was mostly because the symptoms are beginning to wear on me physically, but there are signs that this antibiotic is working better, or at least differently, than the previous rounds. Tomorrow is the last dose, and then I'll talk to the gastroenterologist the following week to let him know whether the symptoms are continuing to improve or getting worse again.

Was up every couple hours last night, probably because of those few bites of onion-laden beef, and am waiting for the morning rush to subside before I head down to Wally-World. Have to pick up some cards, in particular, as Corey's niece is getting married July 3, and then three cards for Corey - for Father's Day this Sunday, his birthday on Monday, and our anniversary eight days later (I wouldn't marry him until he turned 40). He's already enjoying his hot tub almost every night, and that was his gift, so no need to pick up a gift for him...

Welcome to those who are new, we're very glad you're here! Drop into any conversation that appeals.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️💙💚
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Terri ~ The peony rose is beautiful. I tried to grow one once and it just couldn't be.

Carol in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    jvmxeg28wfkt.jpg
    Gonna see how long these roses last!

Had a wonderful dream, caring for Athena, putting on her shoes, and such. 💖. I am boning up all my songs I used to sing for the boys when they were her age. I want to be known as "that singing grandma"!

Hugs!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: What do I do for fun? I go for walks in the neighborhood. I love to go horseback riding but haven’t had the opportunity in a while. I went to Cannon Beach with my daughter, the grandchildren and my son in law. We had an overnight in the RV. Son in Law and grand kids headed east to rendezvous with his mom in Wyoming. She had a fall and was hospitalized on the road trip to the Oregon coast. Our son in law and the kids went on with the trip to the coast as planned. I’m fairly sure they’re all back together by now. :star: Our daughter came home with me and I took her to the Portland Airport yesterday. She is likely back at work today. :star:

Barbara: I miss my dog like crazy. I would go puppy hunting if I could, but we have a planned trip to the east coast to support our daughter In law when she has a baby. We haven’t made specific travel plans yet. We’ve been talking about going by passenger train. It seems like a grand adventure. DH does not enjoy flying. We talked about an RV trip earlier, but that is too exhausting, especially in unknown weather situations between Oregon and Virginia. :flowerforyou:

Tracey: You have been working hard. I hope things go smoothly and you are able to get a bit of rest. :star:

Kate UK: I had my gallbladder removed years ago. It was a huge blessing. I had one big gallstone, about the size of a robin’s egg. I had serious pain. I spent one night in the hospital following surgery and then went home. :flowerforyou:

Terri: I had a wonderful time with my daughter and the grandchildren. We spent a day at the beach and a night in a forest RV park. Our son in law and the kids headed for Wyoming in the RV to pick up Grandma Pat after her fall and hospital stay. My daughter and I headed to our home. I took her to the airport for her flight home yesterday. :star:

(((Allie))): Be safe. :heart:

Lisa: I use the Quaker Oats recipe for meatloaf and we love it. I usually make three meatloaves at a time. We bake one for dinner and put two of them in the freezer for future dinners. :smiley:

Debbie from New England: Sorry about the murderous dust bunnies. I hope you’re able to find a new Cleaning Fairy. Right this moment, a man cleaning fairy is cleaning our stairs carpet. :wink:

We are having a bright, bright sunshiney day.

Katla in sunshiney NW Oregon