WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 942 Member
    Hello Ladies,

I just returned from a weekend on the sun (Phoenix). I rather enjoyed it as the weather here has been unusually cool and gloomy for months. The drive was nice too. I miss road trips, so it was nice to get to do one again. The mister (Heather- he is also planted on the sofa watching the England v. Germany game) hates being in the car, so I left him home...to watch soccer.

Welcome to the new members.

Question for the group. Have any of you taken maca root for relieving hot flashes and if so, what was your experience?

Tina in CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    RVRita: - Good to see you back posting. We were worried about you. Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well with hubby. (((Hugs)))

Rebecca: - . "Just another day knowing I am making time for my wellness, so later on I won't be forced to make time for my illness.💖👍"
    That's a brilliant way of putting things.

It's another bright day, so hoping to get working on the hedges.

Here's hoping today brings you a few moments of joy.

☘️ Terri

Its a quote I copied down when there was a post about positive sayings. I wrote them on index cards and keep the pile handy when I need a mental pick me up. They are like old computer punch cards, reprogramming my brain.👍😁
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    I love quotes. Sometimes when I'm agitated and can't sleep, I Google happiness quotes, or peace or something. It never fails to calm me.. .. OMmmm...

My favourite motivational quote is,
    WHO ARE YOU PRETENDING NOT TO BE?
    B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    Hmm. No more walking in the basement until it dries out. Right now the carpet sloshes. There should be enough dry area to do my dumbbells tonight. The plumber is coming tomorrow.

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Back from a lovely morning.. went and got a pedicure with Trudy and tben we stopped subway for lunch,got a nice veggie 6 inch ,going to pick Dan up in a bit,and the boys are chillin in the AC.. its 97 with a heat index of 108.
    Company coming later to.measure windows
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Margaret -- You have heard correctly. It has been too hot. It is currently 71F at 8:52 AM, headed to a high of 91F. We have our curtains closed and the air-conditioner is available. It isn’t running just now. We have a lovely view hidden behind the curtains. 91F is an improvement over the recent heat numbers. :ohwell:

Annie in DE -- I hope the water problem will be easily solved. :flowerforyou:

Tracey -- Regarding spiders & ants, I use Raid and it works on spiders and ants either inside or out. I will spray it inside if there is an issue. I do not use Raid or other pesticides on food plants. I have tomatoes, & herbs in my tiny garden, and they are pesticide free. :star:

(((Rita))) –- No advice, only hugs. Good luck as you go through the alcohol problem with DH. :heart:

(((Penny))) – Sorry that you are sad about your move. Will you be able to visit once in a while? :flowerforyou:

Allie -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :star:

Margaret – Thanks for your sympathy for our heat situation here in the PNW. I consider myself fortunate because we have an air-conditioner that gets the job done. :bigsmile: Right now in is 72 F, but later this afternoon it may be quite different. :ohwell:

Heather – Good luck for England in the soccer/football game. :star:

Today’s weather forecast is for a high of 91F. It is currently 75F. I am planning to pick up some prescriptions at the pharmacy before the heat gets to be a problem.

Have a great day! :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Afternoon everybody!

I had a fun morning, started out with my annual mammogram.....and who doesn't enjoy that? lol
    At work now putting out fires (not literally) but everything seems to go haywire when you plan to come in late.

The gym membership is going good, on week 2 now and reigning in my eating habits and doing better at logging.

Thinking I need to find some non prescription, non-habit forming sleeping pills to help me sleep through the hot flashes and my husbands snoring. Anyone have anything to recommend?

Have a great Tuesday!
    Candy in Louisiana
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,343 Member
    I left my first husband just before our 28th. It's not about the years you've invested, it's about the years you have left and how you want to spend those years.

thank you for that sentence- I really need to think about it that way. Our 29th is in a few months. I always thought about how many years I have stuck it out, not often how many I have left. I can't imagine another 20 the way things are. Thanks again- a lot to think about.

Actually, it's from an economic theory called "the sunk cost trap." Essentially when we've invested in ANYthing, whether it's investing our time or our money, we are reluctant to let it go--we trap ourselves by saying, "But I've spent 27/28/29 years with him!" If you can push the thought to the side that is keeping you from making a decision, then you can make one that makes sense for the rest of your life.

I've told the story more than once here, but not for a while. Until I could look at my husband and think, "I'd rather die alone than live with you," I wasn't ready to leave.

That's because the flip side of love isn't hate, it's indifference. Until I didn't care, I couldn't leave.

I'm sorry for the situation, for both you and Rita. It's not an easy place to be.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 29min 20sec, 3.62ap, 85elev, 93ahr, 115mhr, 5.46mi= 503c
    Strava app = 662c
    Zwift home spin bike- 32.29min, 260elev, 125aw, 69arpm, 18.47amph, 128ahr, 155mhr, 10.1mi= 293c
    Zwift app = 234c
    Walk to gym, - 10.05min, .53mi= 53c
    Strava app = 64c
    Treadmill jog- 9.30min, 6.1-7.0sp, 9.30min mi, 137ahr, 169mhr, 1mi= 111c
    Other- standing crunches w/25# and hanging knee to waist- 5sts of 10ea= 41c
    180# tire toss- 1st of 5= 18c
    Walk gym to home- 10.24min, .53mi= 48c
    Strava app = 64c

Total cal 1067
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Tracey--I remember reading spraying blue listerince mouth wash to keep bugs away. I have some in a spray bottle and use around my front porch and have not had any spiders or anything else there. Makes setting out there so much better.

Allie--Happy birthday. Sounds like a good plan for the day, enjoy.

Penny--Sending Hug for the new move. I do not do change well either.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Tina in CA & Candy in Louisiana-- DH & I went down memory lane on the hot-flash issue. One doctor gave me RX that didn’t work, and another doctor said that I just had to live may way through it. I wish you the best luck. :heart: Bottom line, hot-flashes are not comfortable. When I was going though menopause my doctor said to live my way through it. No pills, and no estrogen laced products. I wasn’t pleased with the advice, but I followed it anyway. I used ice bags & ate crushed ice. My dentist wasn’t happy with the crushed ice. DH reminded me of one other thing that was a blessing. I used alcohol swabs to cool off my neck. They helped. :wink: Good luck to you both. :flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Allie Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited June 2021
    Afternoon everybody!

I had a fun morning, started out with my annual mammogram.....and who doesn't enjoy that? lol
    At work now putting out fires (not literally) but everything seems to go haywire when you plan to come in late.

The gym membership is going good, on week 2 now and reigning in my eating habits and doing better at logging.

Thinking I need to find some non prescription, non-habit forming sleeping pills to help me sleep through the hot flashes and my husbands snoring. Anyone have anything to recommend?

Have a great Tuesday!
    Candy in Louisiana

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/hylands-biochemic-phosphates-1000-tabs

These work great for me and they are on sale right now- for sleep.
    For the snoring husband- the best thing that helped me was when HE got his CPAP! no more having to sleep in the living room each night.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • grandmallie
    edited June 2021
    Rita- you can only work on you, Al-anon gives you the tools to deal with the alcoholic..they have to hit rock bottom before they can start to dig themselves out..After living with my alcoholic mom ive learned a thing or to..
    Debbie- ugh I feel for you.. i was married for 13 yrs and had 2 children with my first husband but there was a disconnect and he had mental issues and I did everything in my power to make it work i was working 2 jobs and taking care of the kids,he would go to work and go in the bedroom and close the door.i couldnt take it anymore.. i was never mean and never said anything mean to the kids about him,he still has a chip on his shoulder about it,and well you know about Tom and and I..
    I have found that i dont need a man to have a fulfilling life..I have a good family and great friends and an awesome dog. Thats all I need..tomorrow is actually my birthday and my girls are taking me to dinner at a waterfront place where you BYOB.. ill be drinking water but sure enjoying the company!!
    Staying in the A.C. and watching the Love Boat
    The pedicure was fantastic!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    Allie: - Hope you had a lovely birthday. 💕💖💕
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Happy Birthday Allie! Enjoy your day.

Rita - make the decisions that are best for you. A couple of ladies on here have mentioned getting legal help. I think that is a wise idea.

Like Katla we are a bit cooler here today. Thank goodness. I went to the YM this morning for water exercise. The water felt so good! Horses seem to be doing better today, at least they are spending more time out in the pasture. I have been eating salads and sandwiches because I can't stand the thought of cooking or eating hot food. Have been going through a lot of ice water.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • grandmallie
    edited June 2021
    Ugh just got a nasty text and phone call from DB.. he is at the cottage in and it is uninsulated and hotter than the shades of hades and he is pissy with me because i got together with friends from out state at the local bar and was worried about going up to the cottage with alot less people..and he went on and on,and he is upset because I called the cops. Well honestly I think my SIL sets me up for some of this stuff,he is a grown man and can take care of himself,but he had been sick and i was worried for his well being.. and it doesnt help that he is driving without license..
    I honestly right now dont feel like going up there at all this summer but I promised Tal I wouls take her,so we shall see