Do you think it's body shaming...

Options
124»

Replies

• PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would tell me to eat a cheeseburger and maybe a side of fries. 😋
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Calling and/or referencing someone as skinny is just as derogatory as calling someone fat.

I can see where it would be but from my viewpoint I always wanted to be called skinny instead of chubby, fatso, etc., etc. I guess it depends on our own individual perspective based on our experiences. :(

So by that logic, a "skinny" person doesnt get to be offended by judgemental/labeling comments because ....why?

Im of a petite athletic build. I havent always been. Ive been on the underweight and overweight sides both. I cringe when someone calls me skinny. Skinny has never been a polite thing to say. However it seems to be more acceptable than to call someone fat. WTF has the right to judge my body this way?

I never said a "skinny" person didn't have a right to be offended. It's just from my own point of view, growing up as an overweight child/teen/adult, all I received were comments and names centered around fat and chubby, thunder thighs, lard@$$, well....you know. So the thing I wanted most was to hear how skinny I was. Warped maybe, still unacceptable as far as labeling standards but I dreamed of being the opposite of what I was. That's all.
    I don't know why people think they have a right to make remarks about others' physical appearances, other to say 'you look great' or something usually benign like that. But let's face it, people do. :(
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I'm getting flashbacks to the should the person compliment an acquaintance at the gym thread. :)

Yep, me too. :)
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Full disclosure…. I didn’t read every post.

It’s all media driven *kitten*, IMHO.

it’s whatever is being crammed down our throats at the moment. Same as anything else in life nowadays.

It should be about what’s healthy for an individual and, from a relationship perspective, what will foster a healthy relationship between him and her.

It used to be skin and bones was the measurement. Now, I’ll just say watch that Flamingo products commercial.

I’ll step down off this soapbox before I go into how people are douches and other thoughts that are along those lines.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    PaperDoll_ wrote: »
    I wish someone would tell me to eat a cheeseburger and maybe a side of fries. 😋

You wouldn’t have to ask me twice.

Heck, I’d slap on some extra bacon just to ensure that everyone is happy....
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Y’all can call me anything you like.

..... just don’t call me late to dinner.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    avz53Qd_700b.jpg

Stealing...
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

I don’t know if a self-deprecating comment meant to convey my envy (and ostensibly praise her thinness) is body-shaming, but it’s kind of selfish and insensitive.

Its not. And its not. Carry on.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I have a really thin friend with an overactive thyroid and I kick myself every time I make an insensitive comment about how she doesn’t have to worry about being overweight.

I don’t know if a self-deprecating comment meant to convey my envy (and ostensibly praise her thinness) is body-shaming, but it’s kind of selfish and insensitive.

(Just a related thought; haven’t read entire thread)

IMO, semantics matter.

It's body shaming if you intend for it to be condescending, insulting, judgmental, etc. If you're intent is good, then it might just be insensitive or narrow-minded.

IMO, you're aware of what you're saying and now it might be taken -- you're better off than most people are who give very little thought to what they are saying or how it's being taken.