My Doctor Suggested Weight Loss Surgery

Options
coblujay
coblujay Posts: 688 Member
Yes, I'm about a hundred pounds over what the charts say I should weigh and COVID definitely added about ten more pounds. His suggestion was a strong reminder that I need to prioritize my health. Everyone has to make the best decision they can for themselves and for me, surgery is not a direction I'm willing to take.

Could this be the comment that finally helps me over the hump? Six years ago, I joined a weight loss program in my area that included dietitians, trainers and group meetings. The support was incredible and I lost over forty pounds, still leaving me over 200 pounds. I felt great and gained the confidence to try new things like kayaking and wall climbing.

Four years ago, I had gained about 25 pounds back but was working with a fabulous personal trainer. I felt strong and had amazing endurance. I took one of my dream trips of trekking to see the gorillas in Uganda and Rwanda. Don't get me wrong, I was the slowest in my group of really fit people and needed to stop more often that they did, but I recovered quickly and was able to complete the 5-6 hour hike and enjoy my time with the gorillas. It was an incredible experience.

Since then, without the goal of a big trip, I've fallen off the proverbial wagon. The interesting thing is, I've belonged to fitness pal for almost ten years and I weigh today almost the same as what I weighed when I joined way back then.

I recently started back on the program that I was in six years ago, but on my own, with a few of the people who were on that journey with me. We do weekly Zoom calls, track our calories and work to add exercise back into the schedule. Since the beginning of June, I've lost 13 pounds. That's definite progress.

Still, I'm afraid....

Despite all the diets, I haven't been able to keep the weight off or get under 200 pounds
Can I really do this after so many failures
What will I look like with all that extra hanging skin
Do I have the level of commitment and focus to stay strong
Can I make it the lifestyle everyone talks about so it becomes the norm

And excited....

I bought a size 16 jeans six or seven years ago that I've been able to put on once. I want to be able to comfortably wear them out or even donate them when they are too big for me!!
I want to continue to travel to the wild places for many years to come and to take advantage of every opportunity to hike and bike
I want to wear all the clothes in my closet that have been there for probably twenty years because I loved them and have been saving them for the day when I could fit into them again.
I want to feel great, confident and comfortable in my own skin
I want to go into the cute clothing boutiques and actually buy something off the rack

So, here we go! Maybe this is the time...the time I take back my health. I can't wait to see my doctor's face a year from now when I go in for my annual physical. Weight loss surgery? Not an option for me. Taking charge of my health...that's on me and I'm in!!

Replies

• Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds like you're excited about starting your journey! It always starts like that. I wish we could all take that enthusiasm we start with and bottle it up. Then when it wears off, we could open it and take a drink! Unfortunately as you know, it becomes monotonous and sometimes even unsustainable if we deprive ourselves too much.

I'm also back here after several loss and gain cycles. It sucks. I have so many cute clothes in my closet that are useless right now. I'm trying a new strategy for weigh loss that is much talked about on these forums. I've set a lower weekly weight loss goal so that I can eat more food than I have in the past. Yes, it's slower, but it's more sustainable for me. I can have dessert every night. Not ALL the dessert, but some.

I'm not saying all this to blunt your enthusiasm at all. I'm just suggesting that maybe you'd be interested to try a different way as well. I wouldn't have thought to try to lose weight this way if so many people here hadn't had results that are long lasting. I'm hoping that I can lose it all for the final time and keep it off finally!

Good luck to you!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Skyler103 wrote: »
    Your post sounds like you're excited about starting your journey! It always starts like that. I wish we could all take that enthusiasm we start with and bottle it up. Then when it wears off, we could open it and take a drink! Unfortunately as you know, it becomes monotonous and sometimes even unsustainable if we deprive ourselves too much.

I'm also back here after several loss and gain cycles. It sucks. I have so many cute clothes in my closet that are useless right now. I'm trying a new strategy for weigh loss that is much talked about on these forums. I've set a lower weekly weight loss goal so that I can eat more food than I have in the past. Yes, it's slower, but it's more sustainable for me. I can have dessert every night. Not ALL the dessert, but some.

I'm not saying all this to blunt your enthusiasm at all. I'm just suggesting that maybe you'd be interested to try a different way as well. I wouldn't have thought to try to lose weight this way if so many people here hadn't had results that are long lasting. I'm hoping that I can lose it all for the final time and keep it off finally!

Good luck to you!

Are you sure that you are not my twin - nice clothes in the closet unable to wear
    Like you I am also trying a new strategy regarding eating and exercising.
    I finally decided that as I have to take Synthroid daily which is a MUST, then why the hell is it impossible for me not to do some form of exercising daily too along with logging my food
    I have started this and so far I have stuck to the plan with logging and daily exercising
  • coblujay
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. It's encouraging to hear about your experiences. Wunderkind and Mike, I tend to surround myself with positive people, so this will be another area that I do that. People who inspire and encourage. My sister is joining me in this new life plan and that has already made it easier. We both cook extra meals and share them and we are hiking every Sunday at White Ranch in Colorado. The hikes are beautiful, the people are friendly and we get a chance to spend time together. Skylar and Socajam, I love the idea of lowering expectations a little so that I don't get disappointed so often. It's unreasonable to expect a few pounds every week. I have started cooking again. I'm surprised my stove still works. I'm having fun with it so far. Mike, love the idea of changing one thing at a time. It definitely gets overwhelming. The logging seems to be much easier since I discovered how to put recipes in. I can make changes to the ingredients and MFP will easily make those modifications. So I'll keep tracking. Congrats on 6 years of tracking!!
  • coblujay
    Options
    AnnPT77, Congratulations on maintaining for 5+ years. I'm 62 now. I will look at the success stories. I guess I need to take a photo so I can post my before and after in a couple years. You are an inspiration. Thanks for addressing all my questions. I've been at about 250 for the last 20 years. Looking forward to breaking through!! :)
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You have such a great attitude, and with your sis to lean on, I'm confident that you'll do this better than you ever have before!
  • coblujay
    Options
    Thanks Skyler103. I'm lucky to have her. She pushes and encourages me all the time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    That
    Picture
    Is
    Awesome

I'm a big gorilla fan. One of my acquaintances from volunteering at the zoo was scheduled to do that trip last summer :(

I haven't run into her in a few months, so I hope she was able to get it re-scheduled. It was for her going to be a trip of a lifetime, too. I guess Covid is a pretty big threat for the gorillas as well as Ebola and of course poaching. The more tourists the better for the gorillas apparently. If people can learn about them they're more likely to protect them.

Thanks for that beautiful face.

I can't even. So amazing.
  • PersonOfDisinterest
    PersonOfDisinterest Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go-rillas are overrated nobody cares they aren't even that cool whatever
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Go-rillas are overrated nobody cares they aren't even that cool whatever

:lol:

Gingers.

Always feisty, eh?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I love updates, especially well thought out and inspirational ones!!!!!