Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, Post Office, Library, recycling.
    Bonus: typed hymns, chopped another tarpload of salal, 48 mins grooming Tumble.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, dog group, filing, review June council minutes, county ARP project proposals 111.co.curry.or.us/ figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, clarification of chief’s report, finish and email draft minutes/meeting announcement, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    9- Put a problem in perspective by seeing the bigger picture: much as my neck and knees ache, I’m still able to move and enjoy life.
    10-Reach out to someone you trust and share your feelings with them:

Heather “if you do what you’ve always done…” well said, and applicable to so many situations. Thank you. :love: the view of your garden.
    Pip 8 mile walk? Sounds more like a hike to me … :laugh:
    Tracey would these do? http://www.childcostumes.com/boys-60s-accessory-kit.html
    Vicki what Debbie said. It’s scary to think how thin-stretched your department is. What will happen if you collapse? Will they close the department down and send patients to a different facility?
    Lisa lovely hydrangea!
    Julie wish I had a graceful exit line to share with you. Listening like that is a gift you gave him but you were too generous ;)
    Annie glad Kylia and the vet suggested warm compresses. Can your Dad hold Teddy for you while you apply? It may sting at first but will bring relief. Until you can get the antibiotic cream a little Vaseline after the compress will help keep the wound from further infection.
    Allie you didn’t put him in a bind, you set a boundary. Time for him to develop options.
    Rebecca glad your chief has the counseling experience your son needs ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 8, weigh/wii: 9/0/0; steps>6701=4725 , vits=6.75, log=9, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=9, Tumble=6, Shadow=7, mfp=10, outside=11, up hill=9, clean 10=5.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=1 PW=1. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=1. rX x4=1.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=6 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Barbara, I don't consider it generous to listen if the other person is droning on and on and on and my heart's not in it. it's not really a gift to "do time" and not really appreciate the other person: If he had had a notion of what I was thinking, feeling he wouldn't have wanted to be talking. I just thought he would eventually wind down. I would not have expected a call of more than an hour. I got the feeling he was bored and, at the moment, lonely. We were nice friends previously, long after going out, always happy to hear from one another, but we haven't spoken for 5 years or so and it really wasn't reciprocal at all.

Whether you got anything out of it or not, it might have been a "gift" for the other person ... just what that person needed.

There's a woman at work who gets into long conversations with people ... sometimes too long. But I remember that she lives alone so much of the time, her encounters with people are at work and she might need that bit of social contact.

Similar with my husband. A feature of his brain injury is to talk much more than he used to and often more than necessary. Sometimes I just want to get on with something but he's often alone and seems to need to talk.

M in Oz

Good point
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Jump Back Up July
    This month's theme is all about resilience and understanding how we can build skills that will help us to bounce back. We can't always predict or control what life throws at us, but we can build a range of skills and nurture our resources to help us respond flexibly, effectively deal with challenges, recover more quickly and even learn and grow as a result.
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/jump-back-up-july

Calendar:
    vcb24bd4r1ec.png

Saturday 10 July:
    6j5hs5vna1w3.png

M in Oz

I did this yesterday with all of you lovely ladies and you really did help! I am working on my reactions and some suggestions for change.

Penny WOW! I love it! What a beautiful area to call home.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Snowflake- it has been a long time coming and should have done it 20 + yrs ago,and like your sister im worried it will be the same for him,he will try and depend on other people ,he is already being a hermit,im just worried he will.start having dark thoughts..I love him dearly but cant hold his hand the rest of his life,i have to be able to live my own..
    Keep him and I in your prayers please,going to need all tbe help i can get.
    My dad was the same way.. he lived alone,even though Dan lived with him,Dan just kept to himself and didnt really have big conversations with him..
    My dad was lonely and everyone else was always needed to go here or there and just didnt want to sit there and listen ,always saying get to the point dad( my brother Sean)
    or get to the point Don,everyone else...i even put that on his urn lol.
    But like is said you never know how much time you have
    So everytime I went to see him id get a big hug and a kiss and i would sit down and let him talk...never regretted my decision.
  • kymarai
    Options
    Allie- My tough love story has to do with my youngest daughter. She was blowing her money on new clothes and accessories and not saving for her rent. I helped her out once (she was working, had 1 child, having marital issues). I told her that she was a married mother and needed to keep the roof over her head. I would make sure neither she nor GD were cold or hungry, but that I shouldn't have to pay for a roof over their heads so she could have new things. The consequence was that she and GD could be at our house during the day, but after GD went to bed, DD would have to leave until morning. I didn't care where she slept and GD was protected. Well......she got evicted...surprise(not). My sis in law was pissed at me for following through. DD was there early in the morning, cleaned up, stayed with baby, occasionally fixed us dinner, put baby to bed, then left for night. She crashed on many a friends' couches for about 6 weeks. Apparently, she and her DH started talking during that time and decided to work things out. He applied for shore duty to work on his marriage (he was Navy and out to sea). The positives were that they have been married almost 19 yrs and they really did get their act together for awhile. The negative was they moved my DGG to FL :'( I have helped them out since then, but they always know they have to keep the roof over their heads first and foremost. It is hard to be a parent especially to adult children, but you are a STRONG woman and we are PROUD of you! HUGS as you make these tough decisions for Dan's benefit (even though he won't see it that way for awhile)

<3
    Kylia in chilly Ohio
  • kymarai
    Options
    Julie I have been on those phone calls! Heck, I have probably (most likely) been the speaker on those occasionally. The wonder of speaker phones allows you to dust, fold laundry, or do craft while (speaking/listening). I do agree with Machka that maybe he is just lonely. You made a difference in his day I am sure!

Annie I hope Teddie is feeling a little better today.

Snowflake What a wonderful plan for the weekend! GD looks so happy with her chair. Have fun!

Better get my day going....work, dinner with friends, then off to Kentucky. I guess my husband doesn't care if the house is dusty or not (not that he can see that!) Reckon that is low on the list.

Love!
    Blessings!
    Hugs!
    Prayers!

• grandmallie
    Options
    Kylia- yes he lives alone and has a little 2 room place,a kitchen and bedroom (yes there is a bathroom)
    Im sure my brother and SIL will have something to say with what im doing,maybe even his dad.. but he also has mental health issues like his dad and paternal grandmother.
    Im only doing what I know i should have done many years ago and im hoping it all works out.. if he quits his job becuase he cant get there then he will have to figure out how to survive and either get another job or get social services involved to do his day to day living
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Julie I have been on those phone calls! Heck, I have probably (most likely) been the speaker on those occasionally. The wonder of speaker phones allows you to dust, fold laundry, or do craft while (speaking/listening). I do agree with Machka that maybe he is just lonely. You made a difference in his day I am sure!

Snowflake What a wonderful plan for the weekend! GD looks so happy with her chair. Have fun!

Better get my day going....work, dinner with friends, then off to Kentucky. I guess my husband doesn't care if the house is dusty or not (not that he can see that!) Reckon that is low on the list.

Love!
    Blessings!
    Hugs!
    Prayers!

I did put on the speaker phone quite a bit. it was quite late in the day (like 7pm) and I didn't think to do housework during the call. That would have been a good idea.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options

Love!
    Blessings!
    Hugs!
    Prayers!

I did put on the speaker phone quite a bit. it was quite late in the day (like 7pm) and I didn't think to do housework during the call. That would have been a good idea.

It's like the evening Zoom meetings I have with my cycling club ... I turn on the video for the first 5 min or so to wave at everyone, then turn it off, and listen while I file emails, do my nails, sort things, organise what I'm taking to work the next day, etc.

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Allie ~ I think you are doing the right thing regarding your son. I do hope you will continue to urge him to get help through counseling. If he cannot afford to pay for such help there might be a church that offers help through their ministry.

Kylia ~ I know that you are having many problems with getting the help you need to run the business that belongs to your husband and SnL. However, you do not mention what your husband does at work. Does he help? Can he do some of the tasks that are taking up so much time?

Got the clear lens removed from my eye yesterday and was told that it is healing well. Looking forward to getting the other eye done in August and worrying about what kind of lenses to have inserted when I finally get cataract surgery.

Son and family will return from their vacation at the beach today and take those two large dogs home. Thank the Good Lord.

Carol in GA

• grandmallie
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kirby!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,202 Member
    Options
    @Lagopus - Penny - your island looks amazing. 😍 the waterfall
    @Machka9 - Your posts are always so full of great advice. Much appreciated 🤩
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    You know you're tired when ...

We were up early today to get my husband his Pfizer - second jab.

When we came home, I laid down for a 1 hour nap and got up 3 hours later!

Machka in Oz

Yesterday was kind of an odd day.

I had booked the morning off with carer's leave to take my husband for his vaccination and had got the OK to book the afternoon off for rec leave if I wanted ... or I could go to work if I wanted. Up to me.

I slept about 7.5 hours (restlessly) and was up earlier than usual, but even with the normal amount of sleep, I felt extra tired. We went for coffee before the vaccination but that didn't perk me up. The vaccination process went really well as usual (and I've officially had more lollipops in the past few months than I've had in a decade! haha).

We got home, and I debated about going to work but just felt so sleepy. We had lunch and watched the TDF coverage which finished at 1 pm, and my husband was ready to have a nap.

I figured I'd lie down on the sofa for half an hour or an hour because my head was so fuzzy. And I was out. I know I shifted to my back at some point because my hip hurt but I hardly woke up then. 3 hours later, I woke up because Rhody had come up onto the back of the sofa and was meowing at me. I figured that I'd been asleep a little over an hour ... reached for my phone ... and saw 4 pm!!! I had to check it twice because I couldn't believe I'd slept for 3 hours on the sofa! And I actually didn't get off the sofa for another 20 min. I was patting and talking to Rhody ... and dozing a bit ...

I can't remember the last time I took a 3-hour nap on the sofa!!

I felt bit fuzzy the rest of the day and didn't get much done. Went to bed at my normal time ... and slept 11 hours.

I slept a lot last weekend too ... now again this weekend. Just how tired am I?

Fortunately we got out for a bicycle ride today. That felt good!

Machka in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ That is beautiful! Happy BD to Kirby!

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather—Your life coach is brilliant! “Do more of what makes you happy and less of what doesn’t give you pleasure. Thank you. Just leave the check for $150 on the table when you leave.” :bigsmile:

Viv—Sorry to hear about your knee pain. I am familiar with the situation from personal experience. I did my damage years ago in a horseback riding lesson. The teacher had me posting at a trot in a large circle the same direction for an hour. My left knee took the punishment. I was considerably chubbier then. I still feel it pain in that knee. I walk, but I don’t jog. I still ride when I have a chance, but I do NOT post. I let my backside take a bit of pounding. It is sturdy enough to take a bit of pounding without any negative consequences. :ohwell: Congrats to your mom for winning cash in the lottery. :smilie:

Penny--Your photos are beautiful. You live in a wonderful place. :heart:

Allie—Your dad was lucky to have you. I think a lot of people are lonely, sometimes because they spend long hours alone. You helped fill that lonely time for your dad with your presence and kind nature. :flowerforyou: Like Peach, I think you are doing the right thing for your son. I hope he will get needed counseling, either from social services or a church with a pastor trained in counseling. :star:

Pip-- Happy 66th birthday to Kirby! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Yesterday I went to a JOANN Fabrics & Crafts in Longview, WA and bought yarn for a baby blanket for our newest grandson who will likely be born in November. I will start knitting ASAP. :bigsmile:

Katla in Overcast NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Katla - So glad you have found the yarn you wanted. :) You will really enjoy knitting it and anticipating the baby underneath it. <3 I am beginning to miss my baby grandchildren. I won't have another!
    I have always been good at babies, but used to be pretty useless at toddlers, until I learnt from DH and DDIL. I get on well with teenagers, as I remember how awful I was. >:) Writing about my teenage years in my memoir has just confirmed what a mess I was.

My son and DDIL are currently trying to choose a secondary school for Max, for September 2022. I am staying well out of it, as I have strong opinions and do not approve of any of their potential choices. Nothing I say will make any difference, so I am keeping my own counsel. They have not asked for my opinion, thank goodness. I think my son thinks much the same as me, but he has voted for a quiet life. ;)

I have not succeeded in losing weight over the last few weeks, despite making a renewed effort. Very disappointing. I haven't put any on though! I am ready to reign in my CI a bit more to see if that will help. I haven't got a lot to lose, but I am fed up with my love handles. I'm cutting back on carbs for now.
    I have faithfully tracked, as I always have, and it used to work according to plan, but I'm stuck right now. On paper I have a good deficit nearly every day. I don't add in my afternoon exercise. Bit stumped.
    One good thing, I do have solid thighs! :p And biceps! Just a squishy middle.

Rang an old university friend yesterday for a chat. She has been struggling with her weight over lockdown, but has recently lost 20 lbs on the Ayurvedic diet. Lots and lots of veggies and fruit.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• bananasandoranges
    Options

Love!
    Blessings!
    Hugs!
    Prayers!

It's like the evening Zoom meetings I have with my cycling club ... I turn on the video for the first 5 min or so to wave at everyone, then turn it off, and listen while I file emails, do my nails, sort things, organise what I'm taking to work the next day, etc.

M in Oz

with just 2 of us I have to stay focused. with some big meetings where my role is minor, I do that and listen (or not) in radio mode.
    fortunately this was just audio!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I tracked for 1st day in a while and went WAY over in calories. Had a store bought GF muffin and about 60g of alternative sugar (but not low cal) chocolate! very little movement today. very tired.