WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie — Your idea of getting anti-depressants from the doctor is a good one. I hope you’ll call to talk about it or go in and talk in person. :flowerforyou:

Pip -- Enjoy your camping trip. :smiley:

Friends -- Thank you for the birthday wishes! The real day is 7/20. :heart:

Heather — Lovely photo of you and your friend. :bigsmile:

Kizanne2 -- Keep stopping by as you can. :flowerforyou:

Barbara & Margaret – Thanks for the birthday wishes! :heart:

Pegass 0115 – My husband has been an insulin dependent diabetic for more than 50 years. He is still doing well and takes appropriate medications in the right amounts at the right times. He is diligent about tracking blood sugar and makes careful food choices. There is a learning curve that takes a while to understand. I hope you will find someone in your medical system who will help you learn and understand. :fflowerforyou:

Pip –THANK YOU for the Happy Birthday wishes! The actual date is 7/20/1949. I am still a “sweet young thing.” :wink:

Karen –Thank you!

Today has been a good day. Now I am home and DH is making dinner. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautifiul NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Karen!

Happy birthday to you too Katla. My brother's birthday is July 20 too but he is a year younger than you.

Kiz, hope things work out with niece and baby. Very worrying.

Thanks for all the good wishes on my surgery. I will be glad when it is done.

We had new potatoes from our plants tonight with dinner. We steamed them and put butter and dill on them. They were delicious.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Karen VA- Happy birthday!
    Sue- Hugs for surgery!
    Great weekend!
    Made the best decisions I could.

Sleep well!

Kylia back in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Rrrrr
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Karen VA, haaaaappy Biiirthdaaay tooo yooou! ( I opera sang that!)
    vj4s8kp6jy2p.jpg
    Pretty cake just for you!!
    Enjoy your day!
    Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,875 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    Wwnt back to sleep until about 6:30 lots and lots of sleep which isnt a good thing and had a nasty nasty nighmare that i can still remember...
    Going to get dressed and take garbage out. Then over to Marshalls and back here to do some housework..
    Think I might need to call Dr and go back on anti depression meds,because im just not feeling great,feeling isolated and havent done anything or gone anywhere
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Allie, along with going to your doctor, take a good look at how you spend your time. You say you never go anywhere but you drive your son to and from work, go to restaurants with friends, and go shopping. Maybe you need to inventory what you like to do and make you life more intentional. Also check to see if you are maintaining those strong spiritual practices that used to be a big part of your life.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Yes, Allie's comment caught me off guard too!

Allie, based on what you write, you're out every day. But maybe you're not feeling like you're accomplishing things?

One of the things that helps me with that is exercise. If I can get out for a 5 km walk or a 20 km bicycle ride or something, I feel like I have accomplished something with my day. Maybe it would help to get out for a walk every day and build up to a goal. Take Alfie with you!

Or maybe you might feel like you're going out with a purpose if you attend church, volunteer somewhere, or go to little community classes (even online, perhaps) or something.
    For example, I'm really enjoying learning about bees (in one course) and brain injury (in another course)!
    And if I had time to volunteer somewhere, I'd volunteer at a cat shelter. Maybe there's a dog kennel that needs volunteers.

Just a few thoughts.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Happy Birthdays and Hugs
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am knitting a baby blanket for our unborn grandson. The yarn is not as good as I expected and I have had to fix my own mistakes as well. 🙈🙉🙊 I have months to finish the blanket and I plan to do a good job. <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, dogs to GB for nail trims, chiro, meeting minutes,
    Bonus: email to DH for clarification, 10 mins watering potatoes,
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, call R, reconcile Medicare part B statements, review June council minutes, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: drop off cookies, transcribe district volunteer forms, research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, Monday confer with Susan and Rhonda about interest for serving on next board, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    15-Set yourself an achievable goal and take the first step: bring that step average back up to 6701 by walking every night to goal plus 100. Did last night and tonight, brought average up to 6662 
    16-Find fun ways to distract yourself from unhelpful thoughts: I need this!

Thought I subscribed to Consumer Reports last week, but when I tried to login this weekend I couldn’t. Customer service emailed they could not find an account associated with my email. Checked the credit card I used, what’s this? ConsumerLabs not Consumer Reports??? Called to cancel and also entered a dispute against that charge in case they are slow to credit/refund. Then carefully went to Consumer Reports website and subscribed, get this. Full Access is $59/yr vs Consumer Labs’ $90/year. Caveat emptor.

Machka what Heather said. Hoping you can be free, and husband able, to travel to Canada soon.
    Julie perfectly normal to be upset and worried about the squamous diagnosis. I’ve had skin cancer 4 times, and when I got the 3rd diagnosis I burst into tears when calling work to let them know I wouldn’t be back after the appointment. 3 times were basal (nose, chin, scalp) (really nothing serious) and once was squamous (nose again). I’ve had Mohs surgery 3 times, where they remove, then test the area around where they removed and if not clear they remove a little more tissue until it tests clear. My surgeon was an artist, made the tiny scars fall in the clefts of wrinkles so they are nearly invisible. Hope that’s what your surgery is scheduled to be, it’s very effective. I haven’t had a skin cancer diagnosis since 2005, but I get a whole body visual skin scan twice a year without fail. One dermatologist recommended Niacinimide which I take every day. Sounds like your dermatologist is a good one. Work can be a healthy distraction ;)
    Rebecca Panda cookies? “She kissed our cheeks. She said gamma and gwampa.” So happy for you. Feel like I got a hug. :heart:
    Kiz in N FL, how do you test your triglycerides and where do you get the kits?
    Katla “Deliberately having fun is good.” Yes!
    Rita Glad to hear of progress, think I should copy your morning meditation walk. Hooray for the lake!
    Allie stick to your guns!
    Lisa Wow that quilt! “Irony sandwich” now there’s an image :laugh:
    Tina I bought tickets to a special movie presentation that was pandemic-postponed indefinitely. I’ve been trying to get a refund for over a year. Grr. 3 vaccines in one day? Ouch!
    Welcome @HillSlug98239 in Washington’s Lower Columbia Basin. So long as we’re spared wildfires, the Oregon Coast Trail would be an option to consider. :love: the pooch!
    Vicki ((hugs)) that DOES sound scary.
    Carol “125 lbs”? That IS a big dog! Shadow is only 60, and Tumble 30 and either can knock me off my feet without trying.
    Kate and Cheri always love seeing your smiling faces when you pop by.

DH was grumpy on our trip to Gold Beach to get the dogs’ nails trimmed. Haven’t yet figured out if he doesn’t feel well or just hates to be a passenger in my car.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 15, weigh/wii: 15/0/0; steps>6701=6947, vits=12.75, log=15, CI<CO=14, CI<250<CO=14, Tumble=11, Shadow=13, mfp=15, outside=19, up hill=15, clean 10=7.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=2 PW=1. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11: 142.9 grr! 7/18
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=9 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Thank you for telling about your experience. I saw that MOHS is a good technique. they are supposed to review my case tomorrow morning and maybe they will call me just after and I can ask about technique used. I read that MOHS is both more efficient and less scarring. Yes the dermatologist is good and she's young too, so not likely to retire soon (though she could move or change places!).

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    MACHKA yay for work at home, sorry for the 2nd wave!

RITA you sound wise and calm!

TINA who is the pop singer? Do you have a teen or pre-teen handy?
  • Machka9
    Options
    MACHKA yay for work at home, sorry for the 2nd wave!

I'm not working from home yet ... still no cases in Tas. But I'm hoping!!

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    BETH thanks, I think crowns should have a 10 year guarantee with their price! I guess it's hard to do but...I also have tooth issues to deal with, and latent knee issues too- ok at present but to watch.

KYLIA it's good that you are getting your blood checked and doing what you can.

TRACEY thanks, a senior menu sounds good (or just a small person menu). often I want a variety but in small doses ideally at a lesser price. sometimes a savoury appetiser can do the trick. I have NEVER seen a senior meal.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I got 2.5 hours of exercising yesterday plus at least 40 min of cleaning but weight is up.

metabolism is WAY DOWN since menopause, and I can't increase exercise exponentially at present.

I seem to burn not much more than 1200 calories per day average.

which I don't manage to stay below...weight is up maybe. a solid kilo from a year ago. :/

hx3642o1t21y.png

• Machka9
    Options
    I got 2.5 hours of exercising yesterday plus at least 40 min of cleaning but weight is up.

metabolism is WAY DOWN since menopause, and I can't increase exercise exponentially at present.

I seem to burn not much more than 1200 calories per day average.

which I don't manage to stay below...weight is up maybe. a solid kilo from a year ago. :/

hx3642o1t21y.png

That looks like maintaining to me!

When I have gained and lost weight over the past 35 years it's been anywhere from 10 kgs to 30 kgs.

I can gain 1 kg in a day of water weight if I do a longish bicycle ride.

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Menu planned for day. Just not dinner yet. Breakfast ready to eat. I will try oatmeal without butter, but.....I like the taste better with butter. I dont like margarine. My macros circle is still a little high with fat. One thing at a time. I like whole milk plain yogurt. The low gats that I have tried are sour. The only things I really like low fat are italian dressing and cottage cheese. I am weird. BTW-DH at grocery is no help! He kept picking out cookies and pies. He is on simvastatin for his cholesterol and has been for 10 years. While the doctors are happy with his numbers, they have been inching up. Time to rein him in too!
    Need to figure out exercise and times.
    My best choice yesterday was just the burger and cheese at McDonald's on way home from kentucky. DH impressed that I can eat a burger with no bun while driving. They had no grilled chicken and I was starved. No french fries for either of us as the girl messed up our order. Oh well. I can live without those.
    Better get some things done before work. Not sure what the day will bring at work, but feeling better about home.

Have a wonderful day!
    Make the best choices you can at the moment!
    Remember YOU ARE WORTH IT!
    😘
    Kylia in Ohio
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Still here! Weekend busier than I thought it was going to be. Saturday was a morning birthday party, afternoon family reunion, evening other side of the family reunion. Sunday had a graduaton party. I had a hard time with my intent of "just popping in for a few minutes" to each event. Catching up after a year and a half of not seeing people; I lingered at all of them. But it was wonderful.
    Happy birthdays to Karen and Katla!
    I am enjoying all of the pics of the grands! Beautiful children and all getting so big! Karen, your grand daughter! Such intensity! <3
    Pip- Glad YOgi is okay! Love the new light fixture!
    Kiz- My heart breaks for your niece and grand niece! What a horrible experience to go through. I do know that the foster care systems in the US really try to place the children back with their families. Sometimes it is not the mom or dad, but a grandparent or other relative. AND, I know it sounds odd, but my heart also goes out to the dad. I am sure he regrets his actions (and most likely regretted it as soon as he did it). Shaking a baby is an adults temper/frustration getting the best of them. It is so hard in this "time" of social media portraying "perfect" parents/parenting, when there really needs to be a voice or campaign out there telling people that frustration is a HUGE part of the parent/caregiver life. IT IS OKAY TO PUT CRYING BABIES IN THEIR CRIB, CLOSE THE DOOR, AND WALK AWAY!! Let them cry and pull your self together. I am sending prayers/ good vibes to baby, and family as they navigate through this hard time! <3
    Flea and Julie- You both are in my thoughts daily as you deal with your health/cancer issues! Hugs to you both!
    Rita- Sending hugs and good juju your way!
    Barbie- Love hearing of your gardening success!
    Rebecca- Your trip sounds wonderful! My grandsons took to their grandpa immediately and would most times give me a glance or quick hug on their way to fawn over him. I am glad he has that with them. I think it helps him for that "bond". For me, the bond was formed at birth. lol Now, I know, because Tim would do anything for me or for those boys; if I say I want to go visit or send a package- no matter how tight money is, he will find a way to make it happen.

Well, kids are arriving in a few minutes. It is Farm Week. I have a couple of "farm/garden" invitations set up for the kids to play with. I also have the six year old with me this week. I am preparing myself for a week of non-stop chatter. lol

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)