60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, @AnnPT77.

Out of my house for a couple of days. Walk-in shower installation underway. I hate living in hotels. Missing the dog.

Wife's blood chemistry is near normal. Chemotherapy is working as intended. Now we need some general health improvement. 🤞 Her moods are up and down - the fun never ends.

I did see the mental health counselor at the oncology clinic yesterday. That was actually very helpful. Have a couple of more sessions scheduled with her. Hopefully I can keep myself sane, no matter what else happens.

Weight is creeping up. Lacking discipline to exercise, even when I have time. Meal planning is out the window right now. Need to renew the focus on my goals.

Hello to all the new posters in this thread. Please keep checking in. The support here is invaluable.

Keep up the good work, all you beautiful people!

Thanks for the update. Sending good and healing thoughts to you and yours.
  • mssue18
    mssue18 Posts: 117 Member
    Thanks for the update Steve. Glad you are getting some help for yourself and that the counselor is helpful. Sending prayers to you and your wife.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    I have really fallen off the wagon this past couple of weeks. I just seem to get tired of the constant struggle so just need to do as I always say and "suck it up buttercup" and move on. It should be some easier as my husband now needs to drop 12 lbs which is a new thing for him. Thanks for letting me vent. Hope you are all progressing on your journey.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    One of my favorite phrases: "Suck it up buttercup"! I have fallen off the wagon (I did so well last year) and I'm struggling to get on track. If misery loves company then I am with you. I'll stop with the clichés for now. Good luck.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    @alteredsteve175 I'm glad the remodel is almost done. It will be nice to be back home. Hang in there. Hugs to your and your wife from Colorado! :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    Do any of you follow "half size me" on you tube? I find it very helpful
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Hello turn 65 Monday, can't forget if I want to with the barrage of medicare mail last 6 months! I need to lose 20lbs. Was only 10 then covid happened and I comfort ate. Time to lose it! It might be more of a challenge but we can do it!

Oh, man, yes: The medicare mail! Yikes!

I turned 65 in November, so the volume has tapered off, but I still get things occasionally. Since I'm fortunate to have a good employer-provided medicare supplement plan as a retiress, I didn't need *any* of it, though.

I also had an interesting wrinkle where I switched from regular employee type insurance (even though I was retired, because under 65) to medicare + supplement in November . . . then my former employer switched insurance providers in January. That was 3 different insurance plans over the October to January time period, which included some outpatient surgery, follow-up on the surgery, etc. I was a little anxious about whether that would be a bumpy ride, but happily it went quite smoothly.

Best wishes on your 20 pound loss project: I just finished an intentionally slow re-loss of 10-15 pounds (within the healthy range) over many months, after losing from obese to a healthy weight back in 2015 at age 59-60. It absolutely is doable, IME, even at 65 (and, I assume, beyond).
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, I'm 66 years young and I have been a diabetic for over 15 years, trying to get back on track with eating right and losing weigh need to get my a1c down.

Hello. Welcome to MFP!
    I hope you don’t mind. I sent you a friend request. My husband has been diabetic for 30 years, and I got diagnosed in February of this year after some…. Medical malpractice is the kindest and shortest way to describe it.

There’s a T2D group here that you might wish to join. We’d love to have you!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, I'm 66 years young and I have been a diabetic for over 15 years, trying to get back on track with eating right and losing weigh need to get my a1c down.

Here’s the link to the T2D group

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    tnh2o wrote: »
    One of my favorite phrases: "Suck it up buttercup"! I have fallen off the wagon (I did so well last year) and I'm struggling to get on track. If misery loves company then I am with you. I'll stop with the clichés for now. Good luck.

Good to see you back, my friend. You're in the right place to get on track!