July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Nice running @kgirlhart ! I hope you enjoy the Run with Hal app. I look forward to hear his comments. I kind of miss hearing about the relationship that @bearly63 had with him. :wink: (At least I think that it was her.)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    7/1 – 3.02
    7/2 – 5.02
    7/2 - .50 cool down
    7/3 – 4.02
    7/4 – 1.05 with pups
    7/4 – 1.44 hiking down and back up from swim basin
    7/5 – 4.67 trails
    7/5 - .41 cool down to get to 5 miles
    7/6 – rest day walked the dogs
    7/7 – 4.03
    7/8 – 4.04
    7/9 – 5.19 miles of cross training – bike (not counted in miles)
    7/10 – 13.11 July Half Marathon Monthly challenge
    7/11 – rest day
    7/12 – 3.02
    7/13 – 6.1 miles of biking (not counted in miles)
    7/14 – 4.05
    7/16 – 5.01
    7/17 – 3.02
    7/19 – 7.01
    7/20 – 3.11
    7/21 – walked the dogs – may bike later

66.53 of 65 miles

@quilteryoyo that’s too funny. I always say I never met a bathroom I didn’t want to visit. I swear it runs in my family, everyone seems to have to go all the time.

Yesterday was big garbage day in my neighborhood so they have this big claw thing that picks up the stuff in front of your house. I had a few bags of things out and they were picking it up, the claw swung and hit my mailbox breaking it off near the bottom (where the wood post in the ground stopped). The poor guys I walked out and I guess they expected me to lose my crap but I was just laughed and they said someone would be here today to fix it, sure enough they were here this morning already, but one problem, the person who installed it actually put the black post of the mailbox in the concrete along with the wooden post, they can’t get the black out of the ground to install a new one ha ha. The poor guy, I live in Alabama and he’s a sweet old country boy with overalls cut off into shorts and his southern drawl was so thick I could hardly understand him. He said they guys yesterday were so happy I didn’t yell, I said it’s a mailbox, he said people lose their minds screaming and hollering and threaten them, I said over a mailbox!!! Awful.

@martaindale we have a few trails that are less traveled that we run and sometimes I run them and the whole time I’m going “please no snakes, please no snakes”.

@ContraryMaryMary that’s the nice thing about our 2 local Fleet Feet is that both try to employ runners only, trail, road, short, ultra, tri, makes a big difference, plus they have training time like once a week or every other week where they learn about new shoes coming in or they have shoe reps come in and talk to them, it’s great.

I can kind of understand the yelling over the mailbox! Coincidentally we saw an incident with the same sort of claw in our neighborhood just this morning. They were whipping it around and nearly smashed the neighbor’s car! I would be pretty annoyed if they were being as careless as our trash guys were, it might be just a mailbox but it could easily be worse! Our trash at the moment is being picked up by a new company with rented equipment (I didn’t even know you could rent a garbage truck but it says on the side it’s a rental) because the city FIRED the old company for not picking up trash! So I guess it makes sense that they don’t know what they are doing,
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,050 Member
    @polskagirl01 I have a lovely grey running skort, but... same problem as your shorts. Sweat shows up really easily and it looked like I wet myself! So I've gone back to wearing my black one 😆

Yep, I swear some athletic clothing designers either don't sweat or don't exercise! I have had more that a few pairs of leggings I had to take out of the rotation for that reason.
  • martaindale
    July total: 28.2 miles

7/3: 3 miles
    7/5: 2.7 miles
    7/7: 3 miles
    7/9: 2.6 miles
    7/12: 3.2 miles
    7/13: 3.5 miles
    7/16: 4 miles
    7/20: 3.1 miles
    7/21: 3.1 miles

Yesterday was a few degrees cooler, which is such a big help. Like 72F instead of 77F, but I'll take it. It was even cooler this morning but, of course, I wasn't running today. Boooo! Why does it always seem like the best weather falls on non-running days?!
  • martaindale
    @skippygirlsmom Three in one day!! Drivers in your neighborhood are out of control.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @martaindale and I'm really slow so it's not like I'm the Flash and they don't have time to see me LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile I hope your garbage guys get better. I totally get being upset if they are being careless and potentially dangerous. Your comment reminded me of what I tell the kids at lunch - If you spill your milk and it's an accident, it's okay. Accidents happen. But, if you are being silly and not paying attention and spill it, well, that's a whole different story.

Good luck on your 10K @ContraryMaryMary ! You're going to smash that PB!

@polskagirl01 Always nice to learn lessons your run and to find the silver lining. :smile:

Nice running @martaindale ! It does seem that the best weather occurs when we aren't running. I have not used a Jeff Galloway plan, but like his run/walk method. That is what I did when I started being serious about running again and still do for my longer runs. It keeps my legs, normally, from being jelly after a run and my paces are often better than when I try to run the entire distance.

@skippygirlsmom Glad you were paying attention and didn't get hit! If I see a car coming on my rural road, I try to get on the other side (wrong one to run on, but there isn't a lot of traffic). If I can't, than I stop my watch and straddle the ditch. You were so nice to those guys. I know they appreciated it. You are right, they will probably bend over backwards to help you out now....not that that is why you did it.

@Zoomie402 I'm curious about your run/walk/run for long races. Did you have a set number of minutes that you ran before you walked and did you keep that up the entire race? If you aren't still using this method, why did you change?

• quilteryoyo
    7-1 2.1 miles running and 1.0 mile walking (Hill Repeats after cutting cedars for almost 1.5 hours)
    7-2 0.0 miles running but 1.0 mile walking on treadmill (also played doubles tennis this morning)
    7-3 9.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (easy pace, but not an easy run)
    7-4 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking laps on the driveway
    7-5 2.3 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (also played doubles tennis for almost 2 hours, outdoors)
    7-6 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking
    7-7 1.0 mile running, 1.0 mile walking (fast mile)
    7-8 2.6 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Hill Repeats - 6 months post surgery)
    7-9 0.0 mile running, 1.0 mile walking (hot and humid)
    7-10 7.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (easy pace, very humid)
    7-11 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (rest day)
    7-12 2.8 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (tempo run)
    7-13 2.1 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Recovery run)
    7-14 2.6 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Foundation Run)
    7-15 3.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Short Interval Run)
    7-16 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Doubles tennis, mowed my lawn, trimmed mom's, and walked)
    7-17 5.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking ("Long run" cut short)
    7-18 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (keeping the streak alive)
    7-19 4.1 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Cruise Interval on treadmill)
    7-20 2.5 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Recovery Run on the treadmill)
    7-21 2.5 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Foundation Run on the driveway)
    7-22 3.15 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Short Interval Run)

MT = 51.75/70 miles running: 22.0/31miles walking

Today was a short interval run...5 min zone 1, 5 min zone 2, 6x(1.5 min zone 5/2.5 min zone 1), 5 min zone 1. I didn't get out the door until 9:45 this morning. The temp wasn't too bad, 72°F. Humidity was 83%, so that part was not the best, but it wasn't horrible. I ran on my local road today. My fast 1.5 minute paces were pretty good for me at 8:45, 8:38, 9:36, 10:14, 8:48, and 9:13. The worst part of the entire run was that I wasn't paying close enough attention and thought the watch showed 6/6 when it was actually 5/6. So, I ran that one all out as I thought I would be done. When it beeped for the recovery, I looked and saw it was only rep 5. I was so disappointed. I turned around and did the recovery back up the hill I had just ran down, so that I could repeat that for the last segment. It's the easiest part of the route. Still, thinking I was done when I wasn't made that 6th one just that much harder. LOL The 0.15 miles I ran to commemorate the fact that today is the 15th anniversary of my husband's death. I think he would be happy that I am taking care of myself and trying to stay in shape.
  • Zoomie402
    Zoomie402 Posts: 260 Member
    @quilteryoyo here is the link for the run/walk/run method http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/

I am not currently using that since I am not training at the moment for a race. Right now, I just do what I feel like doing and listen to my body. However, I will be registering for the HM in my city for April as well as for a HM at Disney next November. I will be bringing back this training.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,644 Member
    @polskagirl01 I have a lovely grey running skort, but... same problem as your shorts. Sweat shows up really easily and it looked like I wet myself! So I've gone back to wearing my black one 😆

Yep, I swear some athletic clothing designers either don't sweat or don't exercise! I have had more that a few pairs of leggings I had to take out of the rotation for that reason.

Yup, all my shorts are black or white for this very reason.