Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    That's what always amazes me when I hear how many professional athletes, especially tennis players for some reason, have their SO as their coach. Man, the pressures that must place on the home life, to consider being intimate with somebody who just an hour ago was yelling at you about the mistakes you made.

My husband is an independent contractor, and my company sometimes hires him to do a job.
    When he works for us, I'm his supervisor and I need to tell him what to do and let him know if he's doing something wrong.

It's funny because we have never had any issues with it, but for some reason, everyone around us gets all uncomfortable and nervous when there's any sort of "spirited discussion" about the way something should be done. We're both respectful professionals so if you heard our work conversations, you wouldn't know we were married.

I can imagine it being different in an emotionally charged situation like professional athletes face, though.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Myth: HIIT is a productive way to exercise for health.

Truth: adaptations from HIIT are extremely short lived. Your body responds to the extreme but controlled stress by doing things like increasing blood plasma volume to carry more oxygen to the working muscles. That goes back to normal within a week.

I have a group of friends who want to support another friend who's starting out as a personal trainer. It sounded like a nice idea to me, but I looked into some of her marketing materials and it's all HIIT-type stuff (maybe there's really something there, but it all came off as a little woo to me knowing what I do now from reading these here forums). Trying to look for a graceful way to bow out now without offending everybody, to do more conventional strength training instead.

It's funny because I'm one of the first people to say that there are clear differences between male and female bodies, but how exercise and fitness is marketed to ladies is really bonkers.

If your friend is worth a whit as a trainer, they'll train you to help you reach you goals, not theirs.

But you probably knew that already.

It helps to be reminded, so thank you!

I did decide to reach out to specifically ask. I actually don't know her personally but we know a lot of the same people. There's some group thing being organized so the specifics for that group may have a narrower scope than if I were to seek out something one-on-one. I could have been too hasty to judge based on promo materials. Her target audience isn't people who spend a bunch of downtime on MFP, after all. :D
    Personally I'm GLAD I don't train a bunch of personal friends. I don't even train my wife. I've found that if you feel they aren't working hard enough to achieve, that sometimes they take that personally. And that's just one more thing I don't need to worry about on my job. I do have one friend that I do train, but he's on the up and up when I tell him how to improve and takes the critique to heart.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Definitely very wise.

In the early years of my marriage my husband did Tae Kwon Do and golf with me.
    Now, I have zero talent at Tae Kwon Do. I did the stretches, and up to yellow belt OK. But I am just too uncoordinated to have gotten anywhere near my husband’s level.
    Golf? Maybe I had a chance. But he got bored with my inexperience and started walking ahead of me.

Until I accidentally hit him in the kitten with a decent shot…. And he never golfed with me again. Probably just as well. 🤣

We hiked and fished and did a bunch of other stuff together. But not the two things that were always nearest and dearest to his athletic heart.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Just remembered one my SO's daughter shared back when she was in her early 20s: people who are happy gain weight. I guess if life is good you have more of an appetite or enjoy food more or something?

I assume this is why she herself gained about 60 lbs following her marriage. It had nothing to do with the dinner parties or the nightly bottle of wine or the takeout pizzas. It was because she was happy.

I wonder if this one is related to the idea that when people are stressed they quit eating. I think that's definitely true for some people, but it's not a universal as is sometimes assumed - I would imagine a fair few of us here have dealt with the opposite problem! (I know I have!)

There's also a really yucky assumption in there that the only reason one would try to stay in shape is because they fear a breakup or divorce. :grimace:
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Today at work, one of the guys was telling everyone how you will burn more fat if first thing in the morning, you eat a half banana and then do your cardio. He claimed your body will then be forced to burn stored fat during your workout. According to him, working out later in the day meant only burning the foods you'd eaten so far that day and not really burning any of your stored fat until you'd exhausted your daily food intake.

Someone please confirm or debunk this one.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Today at work, one of the guys was telling everyone how you will burn more fat if first thing in the morning, you eat a half banana and then do your cardio. He claimed your body will then be forced to burn stored fat during your workout. According to him, working out later in the day meant only burning the foods you'd eaten so far that day and not really burning any of your stored fat until you'd exhausted your daily food intake.

There is a great answer to this on Physqnomics, but the short answer is, yes you will burn more fat to fuel the exercise, but in the long run, fasted training has no significant difference.to fed training on long term body fat loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

In addition to the prior, the intensity of the workout for you is going to indicate the energy source used.

And how fast after the meal your insulin has dropped back down to decide where that energy source comes from.

If intense you are going to having higher ratio of glucose than fat, if you just ate and glucose is higher then there you go, you'll use what just ate and some of what is stored already.
    Fat will be what was eaten too. If not much fat eaten - glucose will be used even more.
    Insulin will drop sooner - and your source will be stored fat and glucose at same ratio for intensity of workout done.

If you actually do the math with numbers even potentially possible - you are talking minutes of time.
    Because frankly someone that just ate a huge meal of carbs and insulin that hasn't stored those already - is not likely to be doing something intense.

Not even sure how he gets a shot of carbs forces fat burn during workout.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I haven't a clue about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    Not sure about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?

Not enough to outweigh personal preferences or practicalities, in any decent study I've seen. Maybe zero.

Ditto for exercising fueled or fasted.

If there is a difference, it's numerically trivial.

On subjects like this, listen to @Heybales.

Oversimplifying, I believe, only slightly:

Immediate fuel source during exercise varies primarily based on exercise intensity, and secondarily based on what fuel type was recently consumed, thus readily bioavailable.

Overall, in the long run, total overall calorie deficit (shortfall) gets made up by burning stored body fat. *When* that happens doesn't much matter, for weight management goals. It can matter for endurance athletes' performance.

Just my understanding.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I haven't a clue about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?

As several have mentioned - no.

In addition - no because the fat loss occurs because of keeping a calorie deficit long term, not because of the exercise done by itself.

Some people could do a badly timed workout with food eaten and it makes it really really hard for them to adhere to their diet plan that day.

That would be the change to "when" for YOU personally so the exercise doesn't make it difficult to adhere to your diet plan.

Like maybe you do an intense early morning workout, so no food eaten or you'd puke it up.
    But then you have low blood sugar when finished, snarf a donut, get high blood sugar, insulin overreaction, now low blood sugar again - and end up feeling even more hungry even though the donut provided more calories than the workout provided. So you eat another.
    And now even though the workout allowed you to eat more, you have a challenge to your normal daily diet having consumed so much more.
    Frankly that effect happens to people without the workout too, so.....

It's all about testing what helps YOU.
    Nothing special or magical that is meaningful compared to the different ways YOU might react differently.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Drinking a protein supplement after a workout helps repair muscle right away.

Well yes and no. While some studies show this happening with elite athletes, there really aren't any that confirm it does the same for the average person who just works out hard. At best, you're just supplying more protein to your diet. At worst, you're just consuming more calories that could be used for something that you may really like to eat instead. Don't buy into the hype.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

According to cereal companies. ALL MEALS are the most important meal of the day. Personally I don't eat traditional morning breakfast.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,291 Member
    Options

According to cereal companies. ALL MEALS are the most important meal of the day. Personally I don't eat traditional morning breakfast.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, since “breakfast” literally means breaking your fast…. It is the most important meal. Because if you don’t break your fast you don’t last very long.
    Breathairians aren’t real.

:)

But ya. That ad line sure does sell a lot of cereal.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, since “breakfast” literally means breaking your fast…. It is the most important meal. Because if you don’t break your fast you don’t last very long.
    Breathairians aren’t real.

:)

But ya. That ad line sure does sell a lot of cereal.
    Yes the literal term applies if that's the case, but in the good old USA (and likely some other countries) breakfast is associated with MORNING eating. Heck they even combined with with late am eating by calling in BRUNCH since it's so close to lunch.

I don't eat breakfast. I eat lunch.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png