Serial Starters

Replies

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,823 Member
    7n5q2wwnxrj0.jpeg
    *** July 27th ***

Welcome Jay and Zagadee 👋🏻

Tracy - prop guns! They can be a real show-stopper!
    A shrimp boil sounds so good!
    🤣 Kitten Tournament! 🤣

Lynn - Mmmmm.....a breeze off of the river~~
    One small, good sign with American Airlines is that they have resumed non-stops between Raleigh, NC and NYC. For 1 1/2 years, only Delta could get me back and forth.

Waving to Sara and Missy and everyone else who stops by later on~~

*tossing beach bag onto favorite lounge chair for later*

Lana
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Good morning!
    Rain and wind this am here...tough getting out of bed.
    Not much else new here.
    Living the dream :wink:
    Waves to all!
    ~Lynn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,321 Member
    edited July 2021
    Good evening,

I missed a whole day with new people and dog pictures. Smack my forehead!!!

Seems the new software conversion at work has been a total flop - they would get worse than an F- and someone I know has been enlightening me on on how many levels. Will see her tomorrow and give a third fabulous person at work who is going through a tough death in the family a "support" present.

Dental cleaning today. She said that dark chocolate has good properties so I can eat that and not massively increase my chance of dental decay. Have a shopping list for amazon on proactive things for my teeth. Luckily not expensive things- or too expensive things.

I got to come home early and pass out for 90 minutes and I have tomorrow off and hair color is early morning must do my bangs almost reach my nose and it is too hot for that.

Have another 1500 steps to hit goal so hmmm not sure how I will get there but not for lack of trying.

Lana glad your flight options are improving and that you are coming West for Turkey Day with your sister.

Stay safe and sane out there.
  • gemwolf110
    gemwolf110 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Well I spoke with the department chair and it doesn’t look like it’s a feasible route. Since it’s been so long since I’ve taken courses I would need 70 credits and when working full time it will be near impossible to finish the bachelors prior to 40 lol so that’s out. Going to re-evaluate maybe there’s something else in my field that I can do or just continue on the sociology/criminology route. We will see.
  • LanaCabana537
    edited July 2021
    dqgnpumjo0bl.jpeg
    *** July 28 ***

Missy - 40 may seem old to you, but 40 is a spring chicken to me! Keep yourself flexible, and keep poking around. All of your choices and good ideas may not yet be on your radar screen. 🤗

Sara - I'm tagging along with you today--my hair needs some attention!

Lynn - "Living the Dream!" 🤣

* tossing beach bag and flip flops onto lounge chair for later*

Lana

262.6 today
    271.2 highest ever
    237.0 Thanksgiving goal
  • brennerjlb
    Hello!
    Sara - me too! I cancelled my hair appt 4 weeks ago due to my crutch situation. Can't get back in until 8/5. I have very long unruly hair :)
    Lana and Missy - I totally agree - 40 is NOT old - you have lots of life to change your direction and passion. Flexibility - I also like that suggestion.
    Waves to all!
    ~Lynn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good afternoon,

Hair done. Lunch with coworker and gifted a couple of gifts to a nice lady who needed a "care bag". Home with 2k more until goal.

Missy, Lana hit the bullseye on this one - only you can limit you. Just dont try and put a square peg in a round hole. Something is waiting for you to find it.....

Hot, humid, and really smoky - the large fire near us is now sending us smoke. So an unhealthy sauna with no cboy massages- close but no cigar.

Wishing all a good day - stay safe and sane out there.

• gemwolf110
    You gals are right I thought it would be quicker to PhD with the sciences and easier but it’s looking more like the criminology is more the route. As I could start the PHD within the next year or two and be done around 41. Biology I would be just starting the PhD at 41ish.
  • LanaCabana537
    xq9br53sop25.jpeg
    *** July 29 ***

Good morning all~~

Missy - Are you feeling some pressure to achieve a doctorate, regardless of field? Biology and criminology are so different. Just curious!

I have not been doing well physically - significant lower digestive problems the past two days. Will be going to doctor about it this morning. That is the reason for my weight loss this week.

BBL

Lana

261.8 today
    271.2 highest ever
    237.0 Thanksgiving goal
  • gemwolf110
    xq9br53sop25.jpeg
    *** July 29 ***

Good morning all~~

Missy - Are you feeling some pressure to achieve a doctorate, regardless of field? Biology and criminology are so different. Just curious!

I have not been doing well physically - significant lower digestive problems the past two days. Will be going to doctor about it this morning. That is the reason for my weight loss this week.

BBL

Lana

261.8 today
    271.2 highest ever
    237.0 Thanksgiving goal

I really wanted to teach and do research at an university to do that it requires a PhD. I like both fields. So either option I was open to but there isn’t a school in my state that offers the Criminology PhD :-( that’s why I thought the biological sciences would work as there’s a good university within 30 minutes of me. But didn’t realize that I couldn’t really use all the science classes I took over a decade ago and would have to retake. Had I know that I wouldn’t have even considered the Biological Sciences.
  • LanaCabana537
    vcn8o1n8j1bw.jpeg
    *** July 30 ***

Good morning all~~

Missy - Doing research and teaching sound good! Keep at it! 🤗👍🏻

It's Friday, so the Cabana Boys have a rewarding Happy Hour for us later on.....foot massages and anything else you want 😁 🌴

Lana

261.0 today
  • brennerjlb
    Hello
    Lana - did you get to the Dr? Hope you are better.
    Missy - great drive!
    Sara - hello! Is it cooler by you? Hope so.
    Waves to all!

CW 194
    HW 207
    Goal 180
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Happy Friday,

Lynn it is summer so these temps are normal, it is 99 (got to103) should be cooler this weekend under 100 which is okay.

Missy if teaching and doing research is your goal, sounds like a good plan. I have a enough credits to make another degree but nobody would accept them. I got tired of the bureaucratic bull and stopped at an Masters, but I also love doing research so if you can get one of those to open the right doors for you - do it.

Lana please update us on the dr visit. It is one way to lose weight but not the best way.

My weekend plans just flew out the door, so I will have to make do.

Wishing all a good night. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    r8t4crzsvlh5.jpg
    *** July 31 ***

Peep!

Just getting us started......BBL

Lana
  • LanaCabana537
    edited July 2021
    Sara - Sorry to hear that your weekend plans flew out the door. Any back-up plans on tap?

I saw my regular doctor yesterday. I could go into detail, but that wouldn't be nice for you all 🤣

The lower GI symptoms seem to be resolving, but she wanted to run a few tests, so we will see what the labs say in a few days. She thinks I may have simply gotten some bad food, and if there is an infection, she'll prescribe something to treat it. I am feeling 80% better today.

Time to cut up and steam some veggies to have on hand.....

Lana

261.0 today
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Quiet day. Did some online watching, knitting and napping. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

My amazon hot chocolate purchase was a disaster, I didnt register the word "vegan" and blech. I will take to church thinking someone might enjoy it.

Lana glad to see your issues may be temporary and treatable. One does get more concerned as one has more birthdays.

My work's cafe owner gave me a huge box of blueberries and I froze them - so I will have them with breakfast for awhile. Second super food I have gotten from her this week. Hint is not lost on me.

• LanaCabana537
    hqovc32n61sb.jpeg
    *** August 1 ***

Wow Y'all~~ It's August!

Sara - bummer about the accidental vegan hot chocolate, but Amazing about the blueberries! What a treat!
    ....and yes, you are quite correct about being more concerned when one is up there in age, as I am. 👍🏻

Waving to Tracy and Lynn and Missy and all who swing by today 🌴

Lana

261.6 today
    271.2 highest ever
    237.0 Thanksgiving goal
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Havent gotten my steps in so a walk will do me good.

Too many cheetos it seems.

• Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2021
    k73abi57mw54.png

Happy Monday, Cabana Crew!

Whew! Glad it's Monday. Weekend had me doing more work for no money than I do for money. Lodge Shrimp Boil and Corn Hole Tournament went well. Lots of work, super hot outside (about 112 F), but it was fun. About 14 hours at the Lodge for me.

Yesterday, we had a wake for one of our members who died Thursday. Sudden and completely unexpected heart attack. I got to the Lodge at 12:30 pm and finally left at 10:30 pm. So 10 more hours. On my feet most of that time, preparing the buffet and cleaning the Lodge to receive visitors, then bartending later in the evening when our other volunteer needed a break. I was the only one who could run the credit cards and for some reason, I'm the only one who knows where everything is: Plates, cups, forks, extra beans, salt, etc. Every time I took a step, three people wanted me in three different directions.

Other questions:
    Can I take this ham bone home to my dog?
    Is it okay if I pour out the leftover tea?
    What should we do with the rest of the food?
    Can you put this application in and date it for yesterday so they don't have to pay the application fee? {no, btw}
    Should we get more beer since there are a hundred people in the Lodge drinking beer and we are almost out?
    (The last two came from the person who is in charge of the Lodge.)

On the plus side, more than 10,000 steps each day. I've hardly eaten anything all weekend and I really don't want much food now.

Hope everyone has a great week! Drink your water and do the best you can in your situation.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • brennerjlb
    Hello
    Wowzers Tracy - just reading that made me tired! I would not be good at that job. I get a bit snarky at questions like that LOL.
    Lana - I too am glad that you are better. Hopefully by today it is 100%.
    Sara- I LOVE Cheetos. You made me laugh with that little comment about them.
    Have a great Monday.
    ~Lynn
    CW 195.6
    HW 207
    GW 180