SandTiger's work in progress thread - starting weight 245

Options

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    That'll be an interesting way to do it! I've been told it's pretty hard for any generic calculator to be all that accurate, and then there's the difficulty in calculation considering the inherent inaccuracy of most package labels. They are allowed to be up to 20% off!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Love your strength training focus!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    That'll be an interesting way to do it! I've been told it's pretty hard for any generic calculator to be all that accurate, and then there's the difficulty in calculation considering the inherent inaccuracy of most package labels. They are allowed to be up to 20% off!

I'm sorry, what what?? I was kinda listening then math happened like something food - 3500 cal .. i don't know it went fast. I was trying BMR then not as much activity, because I am often sick. So is the BMR off too???? I really need to know this, as my BMR for my goal weight is something like 1099 cal per day for my height. And I know most days I do NOT do anywhere near 3k steps. This is really important, and the first I heard of this. Because if it is +/_ 20% 1099 that is really important to know.

• Sand_TIger
    Options

Sorry to hijack your thread @Sand_Tiger. Wanted to thank you for introducing me to Built bars. So amazingly delicious!

No worries and I'm glad you like Built bars too! I use them for dessert, LOL.

For the 20% calorie thing, you are close but that wasn't quite what I was getting at.

I was talking about how legally, packaging is allowed to fudge up or down up to 20%. That would likely depend on the country of course. I think they can also say that something that is 5 calories, say, is 0 calories because it's within a certain range of 0 calories. Even if the package is right, if the weight is off, then the calories would of course be off like in your example. Another trick they use is to put the serving size at such a small amount that the calories go down really low.

So one example of packages being misleading would be a slice of bread that has a certain calorie amount at 50 grams, for example, but the actual slice weighs more. More weight, more calories.

Another example would be with cooking spray, they say it's just a couple calories (or even 0 calories) but that's for a 1/4 second spray.

You'll also find fun things like the type of fiber not being mentioned (that can make a difference since one type of fiber isn't digested at all and others are partially digested), and sometimes outright lies about calorie content.

This can all cause miscalculations to the point that even trained dietitians can't tell exactly how many calories they take in. So calories are good to count, and I do, but I also pay attention to how my body feels and whether I'm losing weight at the right rate, because even with weighing perfectly and doing all the math I'm still not going to be accurate.

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @justanotherloser007 edit: step 4 should read take the total of step 3 then divide by 28 days. This gives maintenance calories per day.

@Sand_Tiger I get what you're saying about bread. I love sourdough bread and that never weighs what a serving size states. Not to mention that 0 calories yellow mustard or diet Mt Dew. Do not have too much experience with fiber other than naturally occurring in oatmeal, fruit and vegetables or many sugar alcohols like are found in gum. Most of these sweeteners came into common use after my transplants. I'm considered a cured diabetic so no longer need to count carbs.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    we no longer get all the needed nutrients in our food without needed supplementation under a doctor's orders.
    Thank you so much for the info! Yeah, I have like 5 drs. I am a very sick duck. I get IV stuff for iron, and I am good on everything else blood wise as I get checked (way too) frequently (for my taste).

• Sand_TIger
    Options

@Sand_Tiger I get what you're saying about bread. I love sourdough bread and that never weighs what a serving size states. Not to mention that 0 calories yellow mustard or diet Mt Dew. Do not have too much experience with fiber other than naturally occurring in oatmeal, fruit and vegetables or many sugar alcohols like are found in gum. Most of these sweeteners came into common use after my transplants. I'm considered a cured diabetic so no longer need to count carbs.

Yeah - bread is an example - it could be wraps, candy, meat patties, buns, cookies, crackers, tortillas, jerky sticks, really anything.

Regarding fiber, there's soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. As I understand it, soluble fiber gives you about half the expected calories because it's partially digestible and insoluble fiber that's not at all digestible so you can subtract all the calories. But most packages don't tell you what type of fiber that is so it can really make a big difference when counting.

:)
  • DontStopAchievin
    DontStopAchievin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Quite a huge difference. 😁. Congrats on such a awesome loss!! 👏🤗
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    Great progress! <3
  • Sand_TIger
    Options
    Aaaaah! Senpai noticed me! Thanks to you both :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You look so “small”!

So much in awe Of what you’ve done.
  • lelbarou
    lelbarou Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi Tiger! I found your progress photo! I got confused and looked at the photos in your profile first! You are looking GREAT! SO much smaller and slimmer! And I love the pensive look of your cat looking towards the window? Maybe seeing a bird! LOL You have done such a great job! Looking better and better! I also carry a lot of weight in my middle, but I have a long, long way to go! But hey, I've lost 30% of my total weight at this point! 90 Pounds! MFP says 80 which is mostly true, but I lost 10 before starting MFP, so really from my total weight of 265 it's 90! I love the fact that you never give up or give in! You just keep steady and do it! You are so close to your goal weight! Just Incredible! Congratulations on how far you have come and what you have achieved\
  • Sand_TIger
    Options
    Thanks Corinasue! Laura, he was swiveling his little head all around - he liked his perspective as he was standing up "just like mom" for his photo, LOL.
  • siouxieq62
    siouxieq62 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! All your hard work has definitely paid off!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!