Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Drinking a protein supplement after a workout helps repair muscle right away.

Well yes and no. While some studies show this happening with elite athletes, there really aren't any that confirm it does the same for the average person who just works out hard. At best, you're just supplying more protein to your diet. At worst, you're just consuming more calories that could be used for something that you may really like to eat instead. Don't buy into the hype.

I don't buy into the hype, haven't noticed any significant changes whether I have a protein shake following a workout or hours later. For me, I just get hungry after a workout, so if it's gonna be a bit before my next meal, a protein shake makes a good snack to tide me over.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Speed/pace doesn't affect calorie burn.

Of course it does, just that the effect is small for walking and running.

Going any speed means overcoming whatever resistance is holding you back from that. Including air resistance, which increases with the square of your speed. If you're talking about walking 3 vs 3.5 mph that's such a small difference that you can ignore it. When you're on a bike, the difference in how much energy it takes to go 30 vs 35 mph is staggering.

If you don't do exercises where this matters, in you don't need to know. You can land a rocket on the moon with Newtonian physics. But I've been "corrected" for asking about speed and conditions when somebody in the exercise forum asks about calories on a bike, by well meaning people who don't include speed in walking calcs and think it's universally not a factor.

Oh, man, yes. And that same general idea is what makes rowing (very slightly, gradually) progressive in a strength sense, which is an implication on a different front. Each faster stroke requires more power to accelerate the boat (or flywheel). Keep doing it, and one gets stronger . . . slowly, veryVery slowly. I assume the same is true for biking, to some extent.

So, the myth I'm attempting to debunk here is the one that says there is no cardio that increases strength/muscle. I believe there is (and presumably more than one type). It's just that it's an extremely slow, inefficient route, if increasing strength/muscle is the key goal, versus, just, say, having fun or something.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Not even sure how he gets a shot of carbs forces fat burn during workout.

I've read this in a couple of books written by ultra runners (don't remember which). I don't know what (if any) science is behind it, but there's this contention that a small amount of carbs before (or during) an otherwise fasted long run will stimulate fat metabolism.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Going any speed means overcoming whatever resistance is holding you back from that. Including air resistance, which increases with the square of your speed. If you're talking about walking 3 vs 3.5 mph that's such a small difference that you can ignore it. When you're on a bike, the difference in how much energy it takes to go 30 vs 35 mph is staggering.

If you don't do exercises where this matters, in you don't need to know. You can land a rocket on the moon with Newtonian physics. But I've been "corrected" for asking about speed and conditions when somebody in the exercise forum asks about calories on a bike, by well meaning people who don't include speed in walking calcs and think it's universally not a factor.

Oh, man, yes. And that same general idea is what makes rowing (very slightly, gradually) progressive in a strength sense, which is an implication on a different front. Each faster stroke requires more power to accelerate the boat (or flywheel). Keep doing it, and one gets stronger . . . slowly, veryVery slowly. I assume the same is true for biking, to some extent.

So, the myth I'm attempting to debunk here is the one that says there is no cardio that increases strength/muscle. I believe there is (and presumably more than one type). It's just that it's an extremely slow, inefficient route, if increasing strength/muscle is the key goal, versus, just, say, having fun or something.

The kind of rowing I do is a bit different.

I am not on a moving seat. My legs don't do as much work. I do rock my torso forward and backward. Most of the time I am PUSHING on the oars facing forward. Pulling is stronger, and it gets me out of trouble. The boat I am moving weighs maybe a ton. Strokes aren't fast. I love it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I am not on a moving seat. My legs don't do as much work. I do rock my torso forward and backward. Most of the time I am PUSHING on the oars facing forward. Pulling is stronger, and it gets me out of trouble. The boat I am moving weighs maybe a ton. Strokes aren't fast. I love it.

Yes, sorry. Most often "rowing" here means sliding seat machines or watercraft.

Since it surprises me sometimes to see machine rowers say things about "rowing" that are inapplicable to rowing those skinny sliding-seat watercraft, I should be more sensitive to definitions. There's the type you do, and then of course regular fixed-seat rowboats of various types (that aren't the narrow type of craft), as well as rowing rigs for canoes/paddleboards (and maybe kayaks, too, dunno, just haven't seen those). Any of the variations would have different physical effects.

I would think your type of rowing, if repeated sufficiently, would have more of a strength effect than mine, though I don't know enough about it to know whether/how much it could potentially be progressive, or how.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Yes, sorry. Most often "rowing" here means sliding seat machines or watercraft.

Since it surprises me sometimes to see machine rowers say things about "rowing" that are inapplicable to rowing those skinny sliding-seat watercraft, I should be more sensitive to definitions. There's the type you do, and then of course regular fixed-seat rowboats of various types (that aren't the narrow type of craft), as well as rowing rigs for canoes/paddleboards (and maybe kayaks, too, dunno, just haven't seen those). Any of the variations would have different physical effects.

I would think your type of rowing, if repeated sufficiently, would have more of a strength effect than mine, though I don't know enough about it to know whether/how much it could potentially be progressive, or how.

It would not be progressive unless you kept getting bigger boats and put more stuff on them.

When pushing, one goal is to keep the boat in the current and let the river do a lot of the work. Once you're going faster than the current, you can "drive" the boat where you want to go. As soon as you put in a pull stroke, you dump your speed and can't drive anymore. On the river we just got off, the low water means you have to pull a LOT to avoid all the rocks. It's typically not sufficient to really get a cardio workout. Well, not much. Walking is a mild cardio workout, so perhaps rowing a raft is too.

I still think you can get stronger by rowing more.

uuwqfznn58vi.jpg