*CLOSED* September Challenge (AggieCass & Friends)

Options

Replies

• aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    <
    I was physically hit by a car today while walking to my car! Why can't I catch a break???

I walked out of work looked both ways in the parkinglot for any crazy drivers. My client was in her car on the phone. I made it almost 1/2 way through the crosswalk before I heard the transmission rev and I looked over. All I seen was a silver streak and her pulling the visor down. I tried to run but before I knew it I was on the hood and she slammed the breaks and I went flying! I have to wear this getup for a week. I am so sore and bruised.

I was in such shock and had to be nice because she's a client I just shoved my hand in her face to make her stop screaming. Then I got up cried for a second and burst into a fit of laughter and tears. Then I said you just ran me over with your F'N car! Was my teaching that bad?!?

To top it off I was running late for work so I only shaved 1/2 my leg and the x-ray tech was hot! Just my luck!

How on earth am I supposed to go to my cousins wedding on Sunday? I just want to work out.

OMG that's horrible!! I hope you feel better soon!

So sorry about this! I will be praying for you because I know sometimes it just feels like everything goes wrong at once! ***hugs***
  • aprylkemper
    Options
    Saturday was my first half marathon and I carbed up for it, which helped fuel me through the race and get a great finish time but not so hot for the scale, plus yesterday was a rest/recovery day. I don't doubt this is temporary fluctuation but still hard to record for the weigh in. Looks like everyone has been doing really well! Congratulations on all your efforts last week! :)

your blog on the half was AWESOME....i'm still mad at your cheerleaders for being LATE--even though you rock for running it SO fast! My PR is 2:22 so i'm shooting for 2:10 on my next one,...you've inspired me!

Thanks soooo much, Cass! It was cute because they had made little signs and everything and my little 4 year old saw me walk up to them and immediately held up his 'WAY' (for WAY TO GO!) sign upside down ;)
  • aprylkemper
    Options
    So for my favorite recipe, it's hard because I have so many favorites, so I will cheat and share a few....I get a lot from www.skinnytaste.com and recommend you check it out too but here are a few I've made up.

First - Fage 2% Yogurt 7 oz, 12 g of OhYeah! Vanilla Creme or Cookies & Creme protein powder and 14 g World Table Praline Pecans crushed. Great protein, very filling and if you like it a bit sweeter, you can add a packet of stevia. I would rather eat this than a candy bar...it is so good!

Second - I buy a whole chicken, cook it in the crock pot and then pull the meat off to use for various things all week. One of my very easy favorites is: 2 oz of Harvestland Cooked Chicken breast, 1 oz of Neufchatel or Fat Free Cream Cheese and 2-4 oz of Marketside Salsa (lowest sodium content I've found so far). It's a filling and easy snack and you can spread it on something like a wrap or just eat it plain
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

September Challenge- Week 2 Recap

Goals- All SEVEN days met!
    Shannon (shannonaufman)
    Claudia (ClaudiaV05)*
    Beth (ecmenamee)

*and extra congrats goes to Claudia who has completed all of her goals CONSECUTIVELY for the past two weeks! Keep it up!

Challenge- All SEVEN days met! (Looks like I need to make 'em more challenging!)
    Shannon
    Beth
    Susan (thedreamhazer)

Weight (please make sure you are putting your numbers in properly; a LOSS of weight is a negative number while a GAIN of weight is positive)
    For week 2:
    1) Cass (aggiecass09) -2.2 lbs or -1.35% of starting weight
    2) Heather (hrshipley) -2.0 lbs or -1.25% of starting weight

Overall (weeks one and two):
    1) Cass -4.4 lbs or -2.71% (there is something to lifting heavy weights and zig-zagging those calories; i haven't lost this much all year combined!!!)
    2) Lauren (aggielauren) -3.0 lbs or -2.19%
    *There were five ladies who were SO close to that #3 spot...so keep up your hard work*

Inches
    Week 3
    1) Kayon (candykay89) -3.5 inches or -2.41% of starting inches
    2) Kara (kiwikara) -2.0 inches -1.45% of starting inches

Overall
    1) Kayon -4.5 inches or -3.10% of starting inches
    2) Dawn (runningaggie) -5 inches or -2.69% of starting inches

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My Favorite Recipes:

Breakfast- Whole Wheat Pancakes (served with Nutella and Bananas) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/recipe-update-71154

Smoothie- (this changes by season but right now its my pumpkin pie protein smoothie) In a blender combine: 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition French Vanilla Whey protein, 3/4 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup pumpkin (from can), 1/2 container Dannon Okios Plain Greek Yogurt, Pumpkin Spices (nutmeg and cinnamon) to taste, and 1 tbl fat free cream cheese. Add ice to desired texture. Nutrition Facts: Calories 318, Carbs 31, Fat 3, Protein 45, Sodium 266, Fiber 7. YUM!

Dinner- Summer Veggie Crepes http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330986-sweet-savory-crepes I cannot take credit for creating this one but its soooo good. I haven't tried the Mexican filling yet either.

Dessert- Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Non-Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting. They don't even taste vegan! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/peanut-butter-nearly-vegan-cupcakes-144760 <-- If i had to pick one i'd be this one!

Enjoy! And congrats again to this week's winners!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Tuna Fish Tacos!

I just made these for dinner last night, and I'm SUPER happy with how they turned out! This recipe yields enough for four, but my partner and I split it in two. We were super-full afterwards!

1) Slice half a yellow onion and one green bell pepper. Sautee in a minimal amount of olive oil (I use the spray for a couple seconds). Once vegetables start to soften, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 packet low sodium taco seasoning. Continue to heat, reducing water and stirring occasionally.

2) Drain two cans of chunk light tuna in water. Flake in bowl with 1/2 tbsp salsa and sprinkling of low sodium taco seasoning. Set aside.

3) Chop green cabbage to your liking. You may use lettuce, but I prefer the texture of cabbage. Chop as much as you want for a topping, it doesn't change the calorie content much. Set out fat free refried black beans, about 1/4-1/2 cup per person. This recipe nutritional data is calculated for about 1/3 cup per serving. Set out cheese for topping as desired. I used Kraft Touch of Philadelphia Queso Quesadilla, 1/8 cup per serving.

4) Spray frying pan with a small amount of olive oil (or however you prefer to grease pans). Warm corn tortillas over low heat (about 30 seconds per side). I use El Milagro corn tortillas for 50 cal each. I used a total of 8 for this recipe.

Finally: Enjoy! Let people use the toppings (cheese, salsa, cabbage) to their liking.

Serves: 4

Calories: 320
    Sugar: 5
    Fat: 5
    Protein: 24
    Sodium: 905
    Carbs: 48
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite pretty healthy recipes is a Lowfat Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Yield of the original recipe was 8 Servings (~ 1 cup) but we changed it up to make it really low fat and hence can have a little more, so we usually get about 6 servings out of it. You may find other ways to change it up to suit your needs:

Lowfat Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Ingredients
    • 3 quarts water
    • 1 (12-ounce) package broccoli florets
    • 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    • 1 cup fat-free milk
    • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (about 1 ounce)
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    • 1/4 cup dry sherry
    • 1 can (10.75oz) reduced-sodium 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    • Fat free Cooking spray to coat pan

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400°. Bring water to a boil in a large Pan over medium-high heat. Trim chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Add broccoli to boiling water, and cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer broccoli to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Add chicken to boiling water; reduce heat, and simmer 10-15 minutes or until done. Add chicken to bowl with broccoli and mix.
    Combine milk, flour, pepper, and nutmeg in a saucepan on medium heat, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat and add mayonnaise, sour cream, sherry, cream of mushroom soup, and 1/2 cup cheese to this mixture, stirring until well combined. Add entire mixture to broccoli and chicken mixture; stir gently until combined.

Coat a 13 X 9 baking dish with cooking spray and spoon mixture into the dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until mixture bubbles at the edges and cheese begins to brown. Remove from oven; let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.

Nutritional Information
    6 Servings
    Calories: 310
    Fat 7
    Protein 31
    Cholesterol 64
    Sodium 1078 (this might not be correct - need to reevaluate - I removed the worchestershire sauce from recipe
    Carb 23
    Fiber 3
    Sugar 12

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite recipes is Chicken Barbecue ... this can feed my family for a couple of days ..

6 boneless/skinless breast
    1 12oz bottle of your favorite bbq sauce
    1/1 cup Italian dressing
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 T Worcestsire Sauce

Basically you just mix all the ingredients in the crock pot and add the chicken ... I cook about an hour on high and then turn it down to low for about 6 hours. Shred the chicken and I use about 1.5 cups of the sauce and pour over. I figured out that a 4 ounce serving is approximately 155 calories
  • thedreamhazer
    Options
    Okay, I know we're supposed to do this on Sunday (and I will) but I have to share anyway.

Today, I did 31 pushups in a single set. Hands and feet. No stopping. Good form. I've never been able to do over 20. This challenge rocks. You all rock. The world rocks! Rock on! ;)
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! For starters, I think we should share recipes more often!!! I am always looking for new ideas. I don't have a LOT of time today so here are two of my easy recipes. One is a snack and one is a lunch/dinner main dish.

Snack:

*1/2 cup greek yogurt
    *1/2 tablespoon Jello Sugar Free Pudding Mix, any flavor (I like cheesecake or lemon)
    *a touch of Truvia or Splenda
    Stir til blended and thick! It's a delicious snack-like dessert! Yum yum

Calories: 78, Carbs: 8, Fat: 0, Protein: 12.

Sometimes I will throw a tablespoon or 2 of vanilla protein powder in with it on my weight-training days!

Go to Dinner when I am alone:
    Tuna Melt!
    *1 can (4 oz) packed light tuna (in water) – (every can has a different *true* amount of tuna in it. I recommend draining and weighing it)
    *½ tablespoon kraft light mayo (different light mayos have different amounts of calories)
    *Mustard to taste
    *Dill Weed and Garlic to taste
    Mix tuna together and put in an Orowheat Sandwich thin with a slice of 2% cheddar cheese.
    Spray both sides with Pam and cook in a pan like a grilled cheese.

Calories: 283, Carbs: 22, Fat: 8, Protein: 32

SO GOOD
  • aprylkemper
    Options
    Hey everyone! For starters, I think we should share recipes more often!!! I am always looking for new ideas. I don't have a LOT of time today so here are two of my easy recipes. One is a snack and one is a lunch/dinner main dish.

Snack:

*1/2 cup greek yogurt
    *1/2 tablespoon Jello Sugar Free Pudding Mix, any flavor (I like cheesecake or lemon)
    *a touch of Truvia or Splenda
    Stir til blended and thick! It's a delicious snack-like dessert! Yum yum

Calories: 78, Carbs: 8, Fat: 0, Protein: 12.

Sometimes I will throw a tablespoon or 2 of vanilla protein powder in with it on my weight-training days!

Go to Dinner when I am alone:
    Tuna Melt!
    *1 can (4 oz) packed light tuna (in water) – (every can has a different *true* amount of tuna in it. I recommend draining and weighing it)
    *½ tablespoon kraft light mayo (different light mayos have different amounts of calories)
    *Mustard to taste
    *Dill Weed and Garlic to taste
    Mix tuna together and put in an Orowheat Sandwich thin with a slice of 2% cheddar cheese.
    Spray both sides with Pam and cook in a pan like a grilled cheese.

Calories: 283, Carbs: 22, Fat: 8, Protein: 32

SO GOOD

I agree about sharing more recipes - I love having something new to try when I get tired of my go-to meals!
  • ecmcnamee
    Options
    I definitely think we should share recipes more often ... I get in ruts and seem to have the same thing over and over again. Not because I don't like to cook ... I do ... I love it but because I'm lazy about figuring out the calories, etc etc and it's easier just to go with what I know. Lame I know.

I am struggling this week ... I am really tired and lacking a lot of motivation. I'm getting it done but I totally caved and inhaled 4 chocolate chip cookies for dinner last night. I blame myself and lack of control. The kids completely stressed me out, work was stressful yestersay and PMS. I let it all get to me and the cookies ... well they did the trick. My calorie burns have been low and I've been struggling to hop out of bed at 4;45 a.m. even though I'm normally asleep by 9:30. This time of year is bad for my allergies so for me .. that makes me sleepy ... I'm hoping that the lack of motivaton and general sluggishness is due to PMS cuz it's happened before.

I'm making myself stay on track it's just a struggle this week and I'm nowhere near rocking it like I did last week .. but I'm hanging in which I guess is what matters the most. Ok .. I feel better now that I vented. Have a great day everyone!!
  • ecmcnamee
    Options
    Okay, I know we're supposed to do this on Sunday (and I will) but I have to share anyway.

Today, I did 31 pushups in a single set. Hands and feet. No stopping. Good form. I've never been able to do over 20. This challenge rocks. You all rock. The world rocks! Rock on! ;)

WOW!!! 31 .. that's awesome!! I did 28 last night and thought I was going to die. Pushing myself up those last 5 was killer and I collapsed on the floor afterwards. My arms/shoulders still hurt this morning. GO YOU!!
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    I know it's already been said, but most of my 'healthy' recipes come from Gina's Skinny Recipes at skinnytaste.com. I have tried her pan seared shrimp, bangin' good shrimp, turkey taco chili, skinny chicken enchiladas, lettuce blt wraps, and skinny egg salad. I love that her recipes are normal food, just made skinny! I don't feel like I'm eating 'diet food' when I make her recipes!

Recently, though, I have been trying to incorporate more seafood into my diet. So my favorite healthy food is lemon herb cod.

Ingredients:
    - lemon juice
    - olive oil
    - Pam (or other non-stick spray)
    - 1 lb cod filets (or other white fish like tilapia)
    - oregano
    - paprika
    - salt
    - pepper
    - parsley
    - sweet basil

1. Spray baking pan with Pam (or other non-stick spray)
    2. Lay out filets in pan; salt and pepper filets
    3. Sprinkle filets with lemon juice and olive oil (I have a misto oil sprayer, it works best)
    4. Sprinkle herbs on fish filets, to taste
    5. Bake at 375F for 15 minutes

We usually eat steamed red potatoes and broccoli with this fish recipe.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    thats all the recipes we got? come on group!!!!
  • ecmcnamee
    Options
    thats all the recipes we got? come on group!!!!

This made me laugh ... I told you I'm lazy when it comes to food!! But yes ... come on ... inspire me!!
  • thedreamhazer
    Options
    Oh man -- planks AGAIN today? UGH. Lol. Can't we just do pushups? I don't know why, but pushups are about 1000x easier for me than trying to hold a plank for 60 seconds, let alone 90 seconds! What are you trying to do to me, AggieCass?!

In any case, it's Wednesday! We're halfway through the work week, and I hope everyone's doing well! Remember, all the challenges you faced this week are learning experiences that you learn from, but never dwell on! Good luck going forward!
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful people! I've been sick the last couple days so I'm really sorry this is coming a day late.

This is my most favorite salmon recipe:

Quick salmon tikka with cucumber yoghurt
    678 delicious calories. You can cut each naan bread in half to lower the serving size (and calories) and pair with a salad to get a serving of around 400 calories.
    (This recipe comes from Jamie Oliver. I love it as much as I love Jamie which is amazing because I've eaten so much salmon that I've practically tired myself of it.)

2 naan breads
    1 fresh red chili
    1/2 a cucumber
    1 lemon
    4 tbsp natural yoghurt
    sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
    a few sprigs of fresh coriander (i usually omit this)
    2 x 200g salmon fillets, skin on, scaled, deboned (I usually do about 6 oz)
    1 heaped tbsp Patak's tandoori curry paste
    Olive Oil

Preheat oven 110*, pop naan breads into oven to warm through. Halve, deseed and finely chop chili. Peel, halve, scoop seeds out of cucumber then roughly chop it and put into the bowl. Add yogurt, pinch of salt and pepper, and half of chopped chili. Pick coriander leaves and put to one side.

Slice salmon filet across lengthways about three 1.5cm wide slices. Spoon heaped tandoori paste in a small dish then use a pastry brush or back of a spoon to smear the tandoori pase all over each peice. (Tip: If your tandoori paste is too thick to spread, mix in a tiny amount of olive oil until you get a good consistency.) Heat a large frying pan on high heat, add about a tbsp of olive oil, cook salmon about 1.5 minutes per side, until cooked through.

Place a warmed naan bread on each plate, top each with a good dallop of cucumber yoghurt and 3 peices of salmon. Scatter over a little of the reserved cucumer, chili, and coriander leaves and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lentil Chili (since Cass is a vegeterian) - By the way my 2 years old will eat this too.

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano leaves
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter)
    4 cups (or more) water
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed (I used green ones)
    1/2 cup tomato puree

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the chili among 4 bowls.
  • thedreamhazer
    Options
    In celebration of fall, I bring you: Pumpkin Curry! And this one is for the vegans/vegetarians out there!

Pumpkin Curry

4 cups cubed, skinned pumpkin
    2 cans lite coconut milk
    3 tbsp curry powder
    1/2 cup chopped serrano peppers (or less! These are spicy!)
    1/2 cup chopped carrots
    1 diced yellow onion
    1 cups chopped zucchini
    1 tbsp cumin
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp fresh grated ginger root
    1 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
    Salt to taste. Great served over brown basmati rice!

Serves: 4
    Calories: 236
    Sugar: 6
    Fat: 12
    Protein: 3
    Sodium: 37 (without salt)
    Carbs: 20

I made this after looting the campus garden in college for some veggies to prepare for my house. I grabbed a couple of small pumpkins (I was feeding 9) and then went home to figure out what the heck to do with them. This was a HUGE hit with my vegan homestead!

Also -- add some firm (or extra firm) tofu patted fry and sauteed in a little olive oil for some extra protein and oomph! This one is definitely protein-lacking, but it is delicious, I promise you :)
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    This injury is killing me! I can't work out, the stabilizer hurts my knee more than without it and I can't drive. I've slept through two calls from the insurance guy. Today I have to see an orthopedic doctor and my soon to be mother inlay as driving up from MA to bring me. She is a worse driver than the girl who hit me.