What irks you today?

Options

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to be irked by the high price of what I consider to be lesser cuts of beef?

Story time:

I wanted to make a recipe from a cookbook I had, mistakenly thinking the cut of meat was still cheap since I have used it in the recent past for stews (beef bourguignon is the recipe; chuck roast is the meat).

Walked into the store to pick out a cut of meat (needed a 3lb piece) and it was close to 20 bucks! For 10 dollars more, I could have bought a tiny brisket! When did cuts of meat like flank steak, skirt steak and chuck roast become so freakin' expensive?? Is this just because of where I live now or am I seriously missing something?

What store you go to? It's hit or miss around here..
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Is it okay to be irked by the high price of what I consider to be lesser cuts of beef?

Story time:

I wanted to make a recipe from a cookbook I had, mistakenly thinking the cut of meat was still cheap since I have used it in the recent past for stews (beef bourguignon is the recipe; chuck roast is the meat).

Walked into the store to pick out a cut of meat (needed a 3lb piece) and it was close to 20 bucks! For 10 dollars more, I could have bought a tiny brisket! When did cuts of meat like flank steak, skirt steak and chuck roast become so freakin' expensive?? Is this just because of where I live now or am I seriously missing something?

The one that's on post; they usually have the best prices on meat compared to whatever is in the local area. Same with vegetables.
  • lx1x
    Options

Story time:

The one that's on post; they usually have the best prices on meat compared to whatever is in the local area. Same with vegetables.

City tends to be higher than rural areas. And yes.. prices around here are higher.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Story time:

City tends to be higher than rural areas. And yes.. prices around here are higher.

I think maybe I got too used to MS prices. It being one of the poorest states, the prices for a lot of items is cheaper than anywhere else around the country. Helps that MS, LA and AL can all grow quite a few of their own veggies and they have a lot of local farms stores contract out to, which probably makes meat, eggs and vegetables cheap(er).

Guess I'll have to get used to it! :scream:
  • lx1x
    Options
    aumn5pn6kokv.jpeg

🤣
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I was better at peopling... at the social "games" that much of society is built on, because I think life could/would be easier/better if I was more engaged with people. This is one of those times.

It irks me that those types of interactions are necessary, and that I'm not better at them, that I have no natural inclination to be that way, and that I still complain about it.

Bro, same

Sounds like you're introvert. I'm one I struggle sometimes. Its just acting for the most part, this is all generic advice and its sort of a cliche but "fake it until you make it" does work in some situations, not saying pretend to know things you don't know but if you act confident you'll start to actually feel more confident.. it is possible to do this in your own way without looking arrogant. Positive outward appearance and body language works wonders. When I did sales, I had a good crew that helped me. The key things I recall were to REMEMBER THEIR NAME, use it...it makes engagement more personal or feel that way. Also, remember....(generalizing) but people usually like to talk about themselves. Ask them questions, it sorted of makes them feel...desired or important. If you keep asking opened ended questions it opens so many tangential branches to navigate in conversation and keep the conversation going. Also, paraphrase and what they are saying if you don't understand it or just want to clarify it because It shows you're actively listening and you can better empathize with people.

I was just today telling my coworker that I was gonna just start barking at people but this might work too. 🧐🤪

Yeah but if you're going with this approach you have to imagine them to be dogs too. It's the only way it works.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

Story time:

A 3.73lb chuck roast from Walmart here is $17.47.
    I don’t buy a lot of meat but that does seem expensive.
    Btw, out of stock on briskets, which is weird.

I usually don't buy beef, but I wanted to try this recipe. I'm a chicken/fish/egg/deer kinda person. I just was shocked at how expensive it got from the last time I went to purchase beef.

To be fair, if I compare the 3lbs I bought to say, 1lb of 80/20 ground beef, it's only slightly more for the same quantity of beef: $18.06 for the roast; around $15 for 3lbs of 80/20 or closer to $21 dollars for 93/7.

I think beef in general has probably gotten more expensive across the board and I just hadn't noticed because I usually buy reduced price stuff or don't buy beef at all.

More reason to stick to cheaper meat. :joy:
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I was better at peopling... at the social "games" that much of society is built on, because I think life could/would be easier/better if I was more engaged with people. This is one of those times.

It irks me that those types of interactions are necessary, and that I'm not better at them, that I have no natural inclination to be that way, and that I still complain about it.

Bro, same

Sounds like you're introvert. I'm one I struggle sometimes. Its just acting for the most part, this is all generic advice and its sort of a cliche but "fake it until you make it" does work in some situations, not saying pretend to know things you don't know but if you act confident you'll start to actually feel more confident.. it is possible to do this in your own way without looking arrogant. Positive outward appearance and body language works wonders. When I did sales, I had a good crew that helped me. The key things I recall were to REMEMBER THEIR NAME, use it...it makes engagement more personal or feel that way. Also, remember....(generalizing) but people usually like to talk about themselves. Ask them questions, it sorted of makes them feel...desired or important. If you keep asking opened ended questions it opens so many tangential branches to navigate in conversation and keep the conversation going. Also, paraphrase and what they are saying if you don't understand it or just want to clarify it because It shows you're actively listening and you can better empathize with people.

I was just today telling my coworker that I was gonna just start barking at people but this might work too. 🧐🤪

Yeah but if you're going with this approach you have to imagine them to be dogs too. It's the only way it works.

You know, dogs are a horrible example because I’d be fired and arrested for what they find socially acceptable. I really am bad at this...
    I’ll just imagine them all in their underwear! No, wait.... why is this a saying?!???
    (Thx 4 advice probs not even directed at me but I like 2 try to be funny sometimes)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,306 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Frogging my knitting.
    That irks me.

It’s a new design I’m working on. And honestly I do like the change I made in it.
    My friend who uses a chair said it’s similar to a half-cloak they use when they are out in cold weather. Which was the idea behind what I’m doing. So the change is good.

But I am irked by needing to frog a third of it to make the change.
  • claireee13524
    claireee13524 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Having so much in work to do then being given more work!!
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    Frogging my knitting.
    That irks me.

It’s a new design I’m working on. And honestly I do like the change I made in it.
    My friend who uses a chair said it’s similar to a half-cloak they use when they are out in cold weather. Which was the idea behind what I’m doing. So the change is good.

But I am irked by needing to frog a third of it to make the change.

Ugh, that is the worst!
  • SunflowerQueen36
    SunflowerQueen36 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    Get a shot of a vaccine or don't, I don't care. Wear a mask or don't, I don't care. Drop dead or stay alive, I don't care. I'm just tired of hearing about it.

So much this.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Stupid questions (no such thing, I know) and people who don't get it and probably never will, and constant attention seeking irk me.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,306 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Current irk: People over 50 who say “… Blah blah blah…. But what do I know? This is my first pandemic!”

Because no. No it isn’t.

Furthermore, soap tastes like cilantro.