• socaldogmom
    socaldogmom Posts: 96 Member
    edited September 2021
    Nice pic!

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    salleewins wrote: »
    She also said that she thinks I don't realize how tiny that I am. I do know that I have more to go. I am happy that I have lost a fair amount. I still have goals and that is ok. I do not feel they are unrealistic. I just went there to have fun and forget about problems for awhile.......Need to rethink these outings.

I posted this on another thread as well.

I agree with you about rethinking those outings, at least for a while. People don't understand how hurtful they can be when they make comments like that. "You look like you're a kid," for example. I've gotten that. Well, I'm not a kid and neither are you, and I'll bet neither of us want to go back to that unformed, awkward stage of life!

One thing that I see over and over is how many folks have a very skewed idea of what's a normal weight. It's hard not to these days. I look at pictures of people from seventy years ago and at first they look really gaunt and then I realize "that's actually how we are supposed to be if we were healthy!" So hang in there. I'll bet your friend will get used to your new normal also.

Also, one for myself - speaking of tiny, I didn't realize how fine boned I am! My wrists are so slender that it kind of freaks me out a bit. I still carry some muscle and everything but I can wrap one hand around the other wrist with more than an inch of overlap between thumb and middle finger. Sometimes I think it looks frail, but I'll get used to it eventually.

Thank you for your comments! I am getting there with my wrists, too. The rewards of everything else I am sure are worth it for us!
  • jaded989
    jaded989 Posts: 160 Member

One thing that I see over and over is how many folks have a very skewed idea of what's a normal weight. It's hard not to these days. I look at pictures of people from seventy years ago and at first they look really gaunt and then I realize "that's actually how we are supposed to be if we were healthy!"

This!!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    salleewins wrote: »
    She also said that she thinks I don't realize how tiny that I am. I do know that I have more to go. I am happy that I have lost a fair amount. I still have goals and that is ok. I do not feel they are unrealistic. I just went there to have fun and forget about problems for awhile.......Need to rethink these outings.

I posted this on another thread as well.

One thing that I see over and over is how many folks have a very skewed idea of what's a normal weight. It's hard not to these days. I look at pictures of people from seventy years ago and at first they look really gaunt and then I realize "that's actually how we are supposed to be if we were healthy!"

I can't agree with this enough. All in all, I've had rather positive experiences with other people, but the one thing that has floored me is what people think is an appropriate weight/body size.

So I've lost 125 pounds. But I was morbidly obese to start. So much so that it took 102 pounds to no longer be classified as morbidly obese and now just be plain old obese.

But I'm out eating and someone mentions "so are you done losing weight?" And I respond that no, I still have a ways to go. To which, they completely and seriously state that I shouldn't lose much more because I'm fairly skinny...

People, I'm 80 pounds above a normal BMI. I wear a 2XL shirt and have a size 36 waist. This is not "skinny".

I still can't believe they said that LOL.

And don't get me wrong. Different people can and should be happy at different body sizes. But 80 pounds overweight is not skinny. Certainly not on me anyways.

This is such a real thing. People started telling me I was getting too thin at... 150lbs. Which is, admittedly, the very top end of a healthy BMI for me, but they were acting like I was going to die of starvation.

aww. Someone always has to say something negative. This type of person needs to say positive things. Nothing to do with us!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!