WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    October Calendars

If you're interested in following some ideas each day in October for "Optimistic October" or "Mental Health Month". :)

This month's theme: Optimistic October

Especially when things are feeling a bit tough, it can help to set some goals. Making goals achievable and ensuring that you have a few short term as well as longer term, more ambitious goals helps us feel we're making progress. It doesn't matter if your goal for the day is something really small, the important thing is to give yourself the opportunity to feel like you've achieved something and to celebrate that! This month's calendar is full of ideas to help you think about how you can put this into practice.

v23pnzmuz924.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/october

Mental Health Month: October
    doffox9m4kte.png
    4c8uxp1fqhva.png
    https://lookafteryourmentalhealthaustralia.org.au/calendars/

Self-Care Calendar for Mental Health Month: October
    znx6k6f7gvtk.png

What three things are you looking forward to this month?

Me:
    - time off. I'm taking days of leave here and there throughout October. Of course, we can't travel yet (COVID) but I can still enjoy time off
    - cycling. This month's exercise focus is going to be more on cycling. With DST starting and with time off, we should be able to cycling more
    - spring! Yes, last month was the first month of spring, but this month has the advantage that flowers are really coming up and blooming, the weather should be warmer, and we'll have DST!

Find something to be optimistic about.
    • 3 days of relaxation after two long, stressful days of medical procedures and tests
    • DST
    • Cycling in the evenings now that DST is here ... :)

laqf0od4a9dp.png

Today I spent over 2 hours vacuuming *everything* in the house. Furniture was moved. Sofas were thoroughly vacuumed. Edges, baseboards, cobwebs in the corners, under the fridge, stove and dishwasher ... it was all vacuumed.

I worked up a sweat. My hair curled. My toes cramped. I had to drink several glasses of water to help stop my toes from cramping.

But it's done!

I also washed and hung the towels, put away my laundry, and tidied my corner of the main room.

It's all to meet the goal of having a clean house. :)

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Just been laughing at the latest YouTube video my elder son has made for his AATV series. If anyone likes a laugh about the army, etc. then give it a watch. 'Airsoft' is pretend soldiering and my son is a video maker about it all. This one is a departure from his usual reviews and I am very proud of him. I didn't know he could do comedy!
    AATV The Most Realistic Milsim Ever

Janet - My heart goes out to you. What a lovely photo of the two of you. Sending love and strength across the ocean. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I much prefer texting to phone conversations. I can see exactly what was said, even if my mind takes a side trip. Part of my ADHD is that I don't filter sound very well, so I'm never quite sure what I heard. I tend to just go along on the phone. It's a problem for dating, as many guys like to see how a phone call goes before they meet me.

Annie in Delaware
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, practiced WBW, DM and GDLL, farmers’ market, dog group.
    Bonus: practiced Sleeping with the Devil, one load laundry.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, call pc guy to schedule tuneup, practice WBW, DM, GDLL, SWTD, Silver Linings, T’ai Chi from Friday, text C, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Do Your Thing, practice dances: All Night, TGIF, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Sunday: call S, Monday: call Spectrum Mobile to learn how to print statements, USE those torture bands/do that SWSY video, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Reminder: Weekly: Mon=15 mins SWSY. Tues=30 mins line dance at home. Wed=30 mins T’ai Chi & 1 hr pack walk. Thurs=15 mins BB&B. Fri=30 mins T’ai Chi. Sat=1 hr pack walk. Sun=15 mins pilates, yoga or wii balance games.
    October
    3: Take a small step towards a goal that really matters to you. Hmm. Guess that’s the motivation problem, not sure I care that much about any of those goals?

Saw Joe struggling this morning to overcome his contrarian reflexes. Tomorrow is our anniversary. Since he prefers not to eat after noon, I said I’d skip church and go early to pick up a bucket KFC. Could see he wanted to say “No!” but to give me some kind of celebratory meal he eked out “That would be OK, I like chicken.”

Made me think of my own contrarian and sarcastic reflexes. When did I learn to think that was cute or funny? Now I realize people laughed, not because they were amused or entertained, but because they were uncomfortable. Auugghh!

Lisa had to google “…following pig trails…” learned not only is that a scenic drive in the Ozarks (twisty as a wild hog’s tail), but there’s another in Georgia, AND our former home, Boise, has a “whistle pig trail.” Who knew? :laugh:
    Katla I :love: otters, river, sea, whatever. :love:
    Tracey glad you found chair and topper to help with pain. Was the uncomfortable chair a recliner too?
    Maylinda there are some good chair exercises you can do to build strength and mobility. Bob and Brad are my favorite, annoying but knowledgeable, sources: https://youtu.be/cYiH0p4hAm4
    Janetr :heartbreak: ((hugs)) love the pre-Nutcracker pic. :heartbreak:
    Heather :love: the birthday pic.
    Tina have you calmly, gently, firmly explained to the mister that when he cancels, the gracious thing to do is compensate you for the expense? Especially if he hasn’t given enough time for you to find someone else to accompany you?
    Thanks Kay! When I had my DVT, they put be on Xarelto, also a pill. This after the grumpy ER doc told me I’d have to self-inject Warfarin. Had a little meltdown. Told the nurse that if I had to self-inject or die, then I would probably die. Fortunately the cleanup ER doc talked me down and put me on Xarelto when discharged.
    Beth after I got off the Xarelto the doc didn’t recommend a daily baby aspirin regimen, but did ok my occasional full strength aspirin for those old aches and pains…
    Pip Yogi must not shed much… ;) When will you model the jersey?
    Sue ((hugs))
    Welcome @Nico_the_enabler Nico in South Australia! Good luck on the 6 month New Rules for Lifting for Women. (had to google NROLFW) :laugh: ConVERYgrats for taking off those 22 kg!
    Welcome @Ghostmo1967 in Va! Your reply posted just fine. Book mark this thread by clicking the empty star at top right, it will turn yellow. Then when you go to the Community forums, click on the solid star to bring up a list of your favorite, bookmarked threads.

Slipped down the internet rabbit hole a little this morning, saw posting about Friday’s “National Black Dog Day” and had to include two of mine…
    x1fh8hctwcho.jpg
    jbidtdulctry.jpeg

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:2, weigh/wii: 2/0/0; steps>7228=8238 vits=2, log=2, CI<CO=2, CI<250<CO=2, Tumble=2, Shadow=3, mfp=2, outside=3, up hill=3, clean 10=1.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W= , Mon:SWSY= , Tue:LD= , Wed:TC= , PW=, Thurs: BB&B=, Fri:TC=, Sat:PW=, rX x4=.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3: 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=2, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Yogi sheds a lot…. They shed as much as a golden retriever and if you know anything about goldens, they SHED ALOT. The only difference is the color and the length
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Sue , bjg hugs, I'm sending prayers for you and family through this hard time.

Barbara So Or - Our anniversary is Tuesday, it will be 12 years. This is my third marriage and this is the longest I've ever been married. I found THE right one this final time. Enjoy you day.

Janetr OKC

Congradulations! I know the right one makes all the difference. Do you have anything special planned?
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Heather

Thank you so very much my dear friend. I appreciate your kind words.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    kizanne2 We will go out to dinner. Our son and dil will celebrate with us.

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Its been a rather odd morning, didnt sleep well last night ,so ive been a bit foggy today.. but have gotten up,fed Alfie and done a few things around here and had some breakfast.. going to lay low I think...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,829 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) Sunday is the laziest day of the week for me. I don't meet my friend to walk the dogs in the morning so I can sleep later. Today I woke up to snuggles from Bernie, the cat, at 4:50 instead of my usual 4:10. I dressed and took the dogs out for their morning "business" walk, then had breakfast and read what all of you had written overnight followed by a longer dog walk (more than 90 minutes today) getting home in time to go with Jake to QFC to pick up groceries at curbside pickup just after 8AM. Now the fridge and the freezer are full of good stuff. I meet a friend to walk for an hour at 9:30, then the rest of the day is completely unstructured. Today is the last day of the regular season of Major League Baseball and our team still has a chance to make the play-offs so we'll be watching baseball--Jake in his recliner, me on the exercise bike.

:) I am delighted to see new women joining us and hope you will keep coming back and join the conversation.

<3 Barbie in NW WA where the maple trees are amazing
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip – Congrats on your new bike trainer! :flowerforyou:

Barbie – Congrats on another happy day in NW WA. :bigsmile:

Barbara - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! :heart: Re: River otters- Our otter tribe is a family of river otters. We enjoy seeing them swimming alongside the docks. Once in a while we spot one of them eating a fish. :star: I love the photo of your dogs. I am so lonely for ours. We will begin looking for a new pup seriously when we get back from our trip to VA. One of the breeders here is booked up until next October. A whole year without a dog is very hard to take. I hope we can find a pup sooner than a year from now. :ohwell:

Allie – We all need a bit of rest to stay healthy. I hope your day of laying low helps to give you some fresh energy. :heart:

Katla in Halloweentown

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Tina have you calmly, gently, firmly explained to the mister that when he cancels, the gracious thing to do is compensate you for the expense? Especially if he hasn’t given enough time for you to find someone else to accompany you?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: leaner/stronger/kinder than September.
    daily: sit with Joe:2, weigh/wii: 2/0/0; steps>7228=8238 vits=2, log=2, CI<CO=2, CI<250<CO=2, Tumble=2, Shadow=3, mfp=2, outside=3, up hill=3, clean 10=1.
    wkly: Sun:P, Y or W= , Mon:SWSY= , Tue:LD= , Wed:TC= , PW=, Thurs: BB&B=, Fri:TC=, Sat:PW=, rX x4=.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2 8/31:140.0 9/30:141.2 10/3: 10/10: 10/17: 10/24: 10/31:
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant=, plan=, waist=42.
    bonus: AF=2, play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Yes, I've tried talking to him and making plans without him. But, it's more about him not wanting to make a commitment and causing me anxiety. You see, I have a schedule in mind when I need to be somewhere at a particular time and by him doing that, it causes me stress. I get travel and schedule anxiety, so if it's just me going, I can leave when I know it's plenty of time to not cause me stress. Yesterday, it was a movie and I wanted to be there in time to park and not rush.

I also find Brad and Bob annoying, but helpful.

Tina in CA