WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Annie - I am a cookie lover but NEVER bake them at home because I eat too many. I will buy a freshly baked cookie at a local grocery store once in a long while for a special treat. o:)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Annie - I am a cookie lover but NEVER bake them at home because I eat too many. I will buy a freshly baked cookie at a local grocery store once in a long while for a special treat. o:)

I'm with you. I bake them and immediately package them and give them away or put them in the freezer. I don't buy things that I know I will eat and shouldn't.

Tina in CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    May I introduce my new bike trainer! (My other spin bike bit the dust, don’t buy schwinn. I had to use Kirbys to train on, thank God it still works).p698hszuzjsq.jpeg
    Kirby gont4shve04e7h.jpeg
    t connected to Zwift
    a4s66zhg9fb1.jpeg
    d9m3ti04xl8v.jpeg

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! I woke this morning to the sound of thunder (which is probably my favorite way to wake up on the weekend). As I got around and made my coffee, the rain started. Absolute bliss, sitting at the table with my coffee and watching the rain and hearing the thunder roll. I ran errands and cleaned house, yesterday; so today is meal prep for the next three days. One of my families is without a refrigerator for the next week (theirs broke and they are waiting on delivery of new one) so they have taken advantage of my "two meal" coupon from last Christmas. They have asked that I make them black bean burgers and sweet potato fries for Monday dinner and Lemon Parmesan Chicken Piccata for dinner on Wednesday. SO...to make less cooking for me, the kids are having black bean tacos on Monday and the chicken piccata for lunch on Tuesday. Wednesday lunch for the kids is a snack style lunch (their favorite kind; crackers, meat, cheese, fruit and veg). THEN...I am on a mini vacation until next Tuesday! Yea!! I was going to visit my grandsons; but covid is going through their daycare, so my daughter and I decided it best that I NOT come. I put a birthday card in the mail, for Miguel (he will be two next week) and I ordered a children's table and two chairs for his birthday present. I think that will give them their own space for play/art, and encourage them to play with puzzles, play food, coloring supplies, blocks, etc.
    Lauren (my DD) is really beginning to show (baby due Dec 3) and Miguel finally understands that there is a baby inside mama. Joaquin, having been through this before, understood pretty quickly, and talks to the baby regularly. Although he sometimes says nice things, it is generally telling the baby what it can't do and can't play with! lol Example: "You can't play with my dinosaurs, or my trains! You can play with Migo's toys." "You can't watch Cocomelon. You have to watch Classical Baby or Lion King! (currently Joaquin's favorite shows)" First time I have ever heard of an older sibling establishing alpha male status to sibling still en utero! Hope that works out for him!
    I may have mentioned Colin (DYS) was traveling again the past couple of weeks. He went to Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend. He enjoyed himself, but still talks about his time in Utah. I am not sure if there are any trips for him in the immediate future, as he has tickets/trip planned and paid for March. He will be in Ireland for (I think) 9 days. Then he has a trip planned and paid for May/June 2022 for three weeks in Peru. I am very excited for him. HOWEVER, he is still not working. I don't think he has applied to many places. He is in a very good place financially, but without work, he won't be for long.
    Janet R - So good to hear from you; but so sorry for the losses you have had to endure! ((( <3 ))) Sending healing thoughts/prayers to you and your family with the loss of your beautiful Callie! Fantastic pic of the two of you! How is Callie's husband doing? Your little great-grandson is adorable!
    Mary- So happy to see your post! Sorry for your loss, as well! You have been busy! Is Shep still with your daughter?
    Heather - Happy Belated Birthday! It looks like you had a great time! Edie baked your cake?! How wonderful that she is learning these skills. She has the look of a proud baker on her face! I watched your sons latest video. He is quite funny! lol It is fun to watch our kids come out of their shell. Even as adults.
    Rebecca- I am sure cell phones are not allowed by service men, but I know that they get computer time sometimes. Do they allow them to keep social media accounts? Has your younger son been using those? My husband and sons are horrible communicators (if not prompted by me or another significant female person in their life). I often will skim through their IG or FB accounts just to find out if they are alive and what they are up to. I don't imagine they allow social media in the military (for security reasons)... hugs to you!
    Pip- Your trip looked amazing! Yogi looked to be in his element! Your new floors look great! Hurray for jerseys!
    Tracey- I love your ceramic decoration! I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Michele- Congrats on the new job!
    Machka- I really enjoy the calendars that you post! Also, your activity statuses are SO inspiring!
    Carol- Sending good vibes/prayers for your laser eye surgery! Here is to better vision!
    Rori-That picture of you and Eduardo is beautiful! You both look very happy!
    Lisa- My husband does the same thing. Exhausting and exasperating! It is a sticky spot to be in; do you call him out and risk him not committing to anything in the future? Do you take the high road and forget about it? I guess before you bring up the financial side of it (since you each have your own accounts) is there something that he is covering financially that can balance out the loss when he bails on plans? idk this is the perfect example of "you can't live with them; you can't..." You may fill in the rest. "...live with out them...kill them..."??

All of the new girls- WELCOME!!! Remember to bookmark this thread! It is the blank star by the search (magnifying glass) icon. When you click on it, it will turn yellow. We are chatty; but getting your head on straight is a big part of living healthier!

Let's see goals and dreams-
    Goal- to turn my childcare home into an outdoor school style program.
    Dream- to be able to work less, travel more, and live a long and healthy life.

Well, I have started some laundry while I have been writing and it is now 10:30. Time to get up and get moving. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I used to see son on Facebook, or it would show he's been online, but that was back in 2020. I haven't seen hide nor hair of him, and his Facebook page has no updates. Yesterday I sent my second email letter to him. Hoping he reaches out to that. Its his one that is designated to him on board, so if I don't hear anything, then I might ping Chaplain, telling him to get him to answer his emails. At this point if he would send me a smiley face, I would be content.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    KJ (Kelly)[/quote]

I used to see son on Facebook, or it would show he's been online, but that was back in 2020. I haven't seen hide nor hair of him, and his Facebook page has no updates. Yesterday I sent my second email letter to him. Hoping he reaches out to that. Its his one that is designated to him on board, so if I don't hear anything, then I might ping Chaplain, telling him to get him to answer his emails. At this point if he would send me a smiley face, I would be content.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend trying to make him respond that will just build resentment. Just keep reaching out so he knows you are there.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    I am sipping a cup of coffee from a new pot, yes I have to admit, I am a coffee nuker. Its just easier to make a pot and drink it over a day and maybe two. I should get a Kerig coffee maker, but opening a new container of coffee, well plunking a little capsule into a maker isn't as fun! Thinking on making a fantastical frittata today for my meal. Spinach, cabbage, onion, baby potatoes, some slices of tomato, egg and cream. Should be heavenly. I won't prep until noon though.
    I also bought some pastry sheets to make a farm style apple and blackberry concoction. That should be interesting. The recipe says you don't have to gather it on the sides all pretty, its supposed to be rustic. That I can do.😁👍

Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Hmmm... KJ, I think you're referring to Tina on the comment below. I didn't have advice for her at all, as all my accounts are shared for one thing, and we discuss everything to the point where we've pretty much talked ourselves out of it! We are true homebodies...

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

Yes, Kelly meant me. I don't think there is a true solution to my issue. I'm going to feel stress somehow, no matter what I do. I just have to live with it. But, yes "can't live with them, can't kill them."

Tina in CA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I have tried to teach my sarcastic husband, daughter and grandson that sometimes sarcasm is just rude and not funny at all. Sarcasm is an “art” all on its own.
    Happy Anniversary to you and Joe. Enjoy the chicken.
    My uncomfortable chair was not a recliner, I like to sit with my feet up but I could never find a footstool that worked with it. One downfall to my new chair. I need a little pillow for behind my head to support my neck. When I’m watching tv if I lay my head back my progressives aren’t in the right spot so it’s blurry.

Machka - I am having trouble hearing some people on the phone too, but I found they are people that talk softly in person. I also despise when people use speakers or Bluetooth to try to talk to me. I have a boss that does that, and used to have another one that did it. It’s annoying and it’s usually because they are bored on their drive. I can’t do it, I find it distracting.

Kelly - I love Joaquin’s rules for his new brother. That must be very difficult for Lauren not to laugh through.
    A young man I’m working with just signed a two year contract to work and travel in the United Kingdom, they help him find jobs in different areas and pay for the travel. Maybe that is something Colin would enjoy.

Janet - happy Anniversary

Our daughter came to get my old chair. It works well for younger people with no issues. I texted her to ask her if I could deliver it instead since I had to go to the city, but her and my granddaughter were just getting in the car to see if I wanted to go shopping with them. Of course, I said yes.
    We went to one store to return a mattress protector I bought yesterday, while there I bought a decorative pillow that will work nicely for my new chair to use when I’m reclining watching tv.
    We then went to IKEA in search of some curtains that will help with sound dampening in my daughters house for her to have more quiet for her work from home job. I wasn’t planning on buying anything but bought a new area rug for the living room, some tea lights and a set of hooks I’ve had my eye on for quite a while.
    I’m back home and relaxing for a minute while a load of laundry is in the washer. I need to clean the kitchen area today. It is a mess. I think I’ll call my MIL and putter while I chat to her. She’s one of my favourite people to chat with.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Ooooo
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1089080wzhd55ty1y.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tina,

I used to be married to a man like your husband. We both had enough therapy that we learned the problem was that he a passive aggressive personality. Knowing that didn't stop him. He's apparently hardwired that way. I like him so much better since we are divorced. Your post made the hairs on the back of my arms stand up. That behavior is so familiar to me. Ugh.

Heather,

A very Happy Birthday to you, dear lady! I am so very glad you were born; it is something for me to truly celebrate!

JanetR,

Happy Anniversary! I love the photo of you and Callie! It is heart-warming. <3

Carol,

I hope your eye procedure goes well!

Cheri,

I love those poppies.

Kelly,

Oh shoot! I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip to see your 2+1 grandchildren and their Mama. :/

Karen in Virginia

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    :)
  • sh0tzz99
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Tina,

I used to be married to a man like your husband. We both had enough therapy that we learned the problem was that he a passive aggressive personality. Knowing that didn't stop him. He's apparently hardwired that way. I like him so much better since we are divorced. Your post made the hairs on the back of my arms stand up. That behavior is so familiar to me. Ugh.

Yes, he is passive aggressive, but won't dare admit it. In any case, I just need to say NO to him more often when I suspect he will flake out and deal with the consequences later. Eventually, he'll get over it.

To his credit, he did rush home and shower quickly and we made the movie. He also bought my nephew a concert T-shirt at the concert we took him too last night and snagged an autographed drum cover they tossed into the crowd and gave it to my nephew. So, he does have that side too. He just tends to disappoint more than I'd like. Maybe I need to work on making it clear that I need a commitment to the event AND that he will be ready on MY schedule.

Tina in CA
  • Moxiemaiden
    Moxiemaiden Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

MaLynda, google chair exercises. You may find several that you can do, just to get the blood flowing.

Thank you, I will check some out. They sound like I could do them.

• Moxiemaiden
    Moxiemaiden Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Maylinda there are some good chair exercises you can do to build strength and mobility. Bob and Brad are my favorite, annoying but knowledgeable, sources: https://youtu.be/cYiH0p4hAm4

Thank you! This is helpful :)

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Just wanted to report that I am reading “The Woman in Blue” by Elly Griffiths and she used the word “doughty” to describe one of the policemen. I had never heard it before Terri used it the other day. Now I’ll probably see it everywhere.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Just wanted to report that I am reading “The Woman in Blue” by Elly Griffiths and she used the word “daughty” to describe one of the policemen. I had never heard it before Terri used it the other day. Now I’ll probably see it everywhere.

:) If you see it everywhere, then it's an example of the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did part of a Slim in 6 DVD then took my walk. First day of work tomorrow so no formal exercise.

Nico – welcome! You and M will have lots in common

Ghostmo – welcome!

Barbara – happy anniversary. I never heard of self-injecting warfarin!!!! Vince’s is a tablet

I had such a bad dream last night that I cried out “HELP”. Then I couldn’t help myself, but I was constantly holding onto Vince. He kept saying “it was just a dream” but I will couldn’t help myself. Fine today.

M – I’m in agreement with you. Many times when someone talks on a mobile their voice cuts in and out.

I didn’t know that Toronto used to be called York! Learn something new every day

janetr – how nice of you to help Chris like that

Cut the weeds and then dyed the sheet again. It’s still gray. Hopefully, this time it’ll be darker. I used two packets of the dye. If it isn’t, it’ll be the way it’ll be, I’m not doing it again. Update: It was darker, but not as dark as the other sheet I have. The only other thing I can think of is that I should use the liquid dye, not the powder that I used. Well, this year I will not do it again.

Store bought cookies: what I used to do is when I’d get a craving for like a sugar cookie (they are one of my downfalls), I’d buy a package (usually about 12 and I certainly don’t need all 12), take one or two out for me, and then give the rest to the cashier for them to put in the break room. Enough for me, then I don’t have the temptation laying around

Looks like we’re pretty well ready for the Halloween party except for most of the last minute things like getting out the coffee pots, filling them to go, putting on table cloths, putting up signs, etc. Maybe now Vince will work on the Christmas in the living room.

Michele NC