Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k slow
    10-2 7k sleasy (between slow and easy)
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 rest
    10-5 7k measy (between moderate and easy)
    10-6 6k slow
    10-7 rest
    10-8 7k slow
    10-9 7k easy
    10-10 7k moderate
    10-11 rest
    10-12 7k slow
    10-13 7k slow
    10-14 rest
    10-15 7k slow
    10-15 7k measy
    10-19 7k easy
    10-20 rest

October Total: 90k
    October Goal: 150k

Golf today instead of running. Only two more weeks of golf to go!!! In the spring I can't wait for it to start; in the fall, I can't wait for it to be over.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    October 1 – 5.14
    October 2 – 22.24
    October 4 – 5.14
    October 5 – 3.01
    October 6 – 5.05
    October 8 – 6.02
    October 10 – 5.50
    October 11 – 5.03
    October 13 – 5.18
    October 14 – 3.89
    October 15 – 5.21
    October 18 – 5.46
    Total – 76.87/125

It was 36F and the sky was full of stars when I headed out this morning. I wore long pants and two long-sleeve shirts and a buff on my head to keep my ears warm. I probably would have been fine with one shirt. It always takes me a while to remember how to dress when the weather changes abruptly. My hands got a little chilly but were warm by the time I finished the first mile.

@marisap2010 – I have to admit the Wineglass in NY sounds better than Atlanta. I ran the inaugural Hotlanta Half Marathon that I believe was held in June of 2016 and I was not prepared for that humidity! You are probably more accustomed to it but it just zapped me and that was one of the most miserable HMs that I've done!

@katharmonic - You and @skippygirlsmom are doing awesome on getting those HM distances in this year!

Congratulations @polskagirl01 – all your hard training paid off! Love the crown that your daughter made!

@kgirlhart – I wouldn’t worry about Hal’s pace advice either. You are doing great on your training times! The kitten is beautiful – thanks for giving it a home!

Great job on your 5K @johnisrunning! Not meeting your personal goal just gives you a perfect reason to sign up for another 5K and go for it!
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Racing is a funny thing. There is so little you can actually control: your training in the build-up, your focus and your effort on the day of, and that's about it. You can't control the weather conditions, you can't control the layout of the course and you can't control the competition that shows up.

I ran a 5K on Saturday morning, one in which I expected to challenge my personal record time of 20:24 and maybe come close to a sub-20:00 time (my white whale!) But a surprisingly warm and humid morning for mid-October had other ideas, the target pace was not sustainable in the increasing heat and I finished in a respectable, but still personally disappointing 20:47.23.

And yet, as I mentioned, you can't control the competition that shows up on the day of the race. So, despite all of that, I came in 4th overall. It's so hard to frame that to non-runners, that I was disappointed in the run, that I know I can do better next time, while still squaring that with the fact that I came in 4th place, that I'm more proud of the 5:50 mile race I ran in August (in which I placed 156th) than I am with this one.

Running is a sport of setting goals and, very often, not quite reaching them, but getting better along the way. I feel like I can run a sub-20:00 5K before next spring turns to summer. But sometimes, it's going to feel frustrating until I get there, even when it seems like it shouldn't.

So much truth in this post. As a runner, I totally get it. I have had the same experience trying to explain to a non-runner (or even casual runner), disappointment in a finish when I ran faster than they could even conceive of.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Great 5K race @johnisrunning! That is a GREAT time, and I too see a sub 20 minute 5K in your future :D
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Great 5K race @johnisrunning! That is a GREAT time, and I too see a sub 20 minute 5K in your future :D

What he said!!!!!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls I’m so sorry. What happens next, are they going to dialysis?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    10k easy on the Greenline. First run in autumn weather (about 60 F), a couple of days ago we had a storm come through and before was Indian summer and after was fall. I wish this weather lasted longer, it’s the best! Last night we had to run the heater, it got down into the low 40s. And the day before it was over 90!

Now is the time of year when Memphis’s attitude towards public spaces really starts to get on my nerves. We barely had time to finish a short walk before we had to get off the greenline before sundown. I noticed when we were out at Chuckalissa that their trails are only open from 9 am to 7 pm - no running in the mornings before work for you! No wonder Memphis is consistently in the list of fattest cities in the US.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Prayers for your mom.
  • johnisrunning
    johnisrunning Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    @johnisrunning It’s so cool to have a fast person in the challenge thread again, we have had a handful of really fast people in the past but most have taken a break or moved on. I think you are now our resident speed demon! It adds a different perspective!

Sorry your race was personally disappointing and I hope your sub 20 happens for you soon.

Thank you! :) That's very kind of you to say. I have never really felt like "the fast one" as I find myself right on the threshold between novice runners and competitive runners in terms of race times, which is a kind of weird place to be. But I'd be happy to talk more about my speed work in the thread!

@AlphaHowls Sorry to hear about your mother. Wishing you and your family all the best in this difficult time.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Huge hugs going out to you and your mom @AlphaHowls 💕
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oct 2 - 4.89 miles
    Oct 5 - 6.2
    Oct 8 - 5.13
    Oct 12 - 5.01
    Oct 14 - 5.68