60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• oxfordmsreal
    oxfordmsreal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first time on this site! Just started FP… I am 69 and have a horrible time losing weight!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    My first time on this site! Just started FP… I am 69 and have a horrible time losing weight!

Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP and the group!

If there are particular challenges for you about using MFP, or about losing weight generally, I'd encourage you to ask about them here. There are people here at all stages of weight management, quite a few in our age range (I'm 65), and probably someone has faced a similar thing and could share how they addressed it. We're all individuals, of course, but the more ideas on the table, the more likely we'll see one that could work for us.

Wishing you success!
  • dwaters1962
    dwaters1962 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Does 59 count?🤣
    Will be 60 in less than 2 months, Jan 1.
  • dwaters1962
    dwaters1962 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • sandra2bfit1
    sandra2bfit1 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    75 here have to lose 100 + pounds do need encouragement.
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I turn 60 tomorrow so here I am. I have 10 lbs to lose, work out and am very active. Feel free to add me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Does 59 count?🤣
    Will be 60 in less than 2 months, Jan 1.

We don't check IDs, AFAIK. 😉

But I'll say what I did to a couple of past similar inquiries: I'll loan you a year or so, if needed. At 65 - 66 in just over a week - I have spares!
    75 here have to lose 100 + pounds do need encouragement.

You can do this! It's normal to have a few "learning experiences" along the way, but sticking with the process patiently, in a sensible way, can be pretty magical IME. Wishing you success!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175
    Glad you had a good time. I think it's just what the Dr ordered for you!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Going on a fishing trip sounds wonderful. I’m really a girl from up North and that’s where my heart lies. I love the outdoors. Reminds me of my childhood. The weather here is warm and gorgeous today. May go for a walk in the country. Having a rough time health wise, but realized I have to keep a positive mindset and keep my goal of losing weight. I’m sticking to it.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP! I lost 90 pounds between 2013 and 2016. I still log my food and check in on the forums at least once a day. I found (find?) the forums a huge help in my weight-loss journey. I hope you do too 🙂
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all those new to the group. Steve, so glad you were able to get some r&r. This group is very supportive and the tools are easy to use You can use it as a tool to keep you accountable by reporting your progress. If you are not comfortable with doing the whole group select and request them as a friend and report to them your progress. I go to this site every morning to start the day with positivity. Most importantly be kind to yourself you are not alone.
  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Hi @OcalaGuy,

The good news is you’ve done most of it before and can do it again. Five or so years ago I used MFP and lost 60 pounds—I was 10 pounds from my goal at that point. Then I slowly gained back most of it. Two years ago I decided to get back at it. In the course of a year and a half I re-lost the original weight and the 10 I hadn’t lost. To get there, I set 10 pound goals at a rate of 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, and would then reassess. I set an arbitrary final goal that would have me at 1/2 my highest-ever weight, which, at 5’2” is still 10 pounds over being underweight. I reached that goal 2 months ago. I don’t anticipate staying this small forever, but do intend to stay here while COVID is a concern, as my weight, activity (not all that much), and meds are keeping my blood glucose in the non-diabetic range.

So, realistic small goals and reassessment were key to my success, with a strong sense of motivation regarding reducing my risk of bad COVID

• qclady2
    qclady2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I'm 66, and in February I left the doctors office in tears, with a weight of 203. I have counted calories, joined a gym, walk , or with bad weather I bring out my old Richard Simmons "Reach" tape. Love that guy!!! Here it is November and I have lost 47 lbs. I retired and I think that is what did it. My motivation? Getting back into clothes I haven't worn 10 years and health. I do feel alot better. I worry about the holidays, because I am yo yoing between 151 and 152, I cannot seem to break into the 140 category . I would love to hear any suggestions to break this. Its been a month now.

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

I thought it was an interesting comment about shrinking as we get older which makes our middle thicker as well (and of course fat accumulates differently after a certain age). Do Men also shrink as they age or is it just women and meno? I know my Dad and Mom BOTH had that awful hump thing going when they were in late 70's a little and mostly in their 80's.

Welcome back Steve and to all the new folks. I bet Daisy was happy to see her Dad again!