60 yrs and up

Replies

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Missing people in Jersey, not missing the weather! Going back to visit in a few weeks.

I hear they have WaWa’s in FL?
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Missing people in Jersey, not missing the weather! Going back to visit in a few weeks.

I hear they have WaWa’s in FL?

Yea we have them now!!!!
  • djsp55555
    djsp55555 Posts: 5 Member
    I am new here to the board. I just signed up for 3 months of premium. I am not really sure how to use it to get the most from it. I am 66 & wanting to lose about 40 lbs. I have been on regular MFP since Jan & chart my food, exercise & water. I would like to know where to learn how to chart my food better without cheating. I called a trainer today & she wanted $35.00 a session or 6 sessions for $150.00. I am willing to try the premium for 3 months but have alot of questions on different things.
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hello djsp55555. Welcome. I'm kinda new. I signed up for Premium but quickly cancelled realizing it wasn't what I thought. More nutrient details, no ads, exercise not counted towards calorie goals and 1 or 2 other things. I wanted more personal tips and feedback and ahhh to see who clicked likes for me. But anyways, if I could afford a trainer, I probably would depending on their effectiveness. I wonder, would that be in person training? You have so many online videos and such but not much accountability imo.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    djsp55555 wrote: »
    I am new here to the board. I just signed up for 3 months of premium. I am not really sure how to use it to get the most from it. I am 66 & wanting to lose about 40 lbs. I have been on regular MFP since Jan & chart my food, exercise & water. I would like to know where to learn how to chart my food better without cheating. I called a trainer today & she wanted $35.00 a session or 6 sessions for $150.00. I am willing to try the premium for 3 months but have alot of questions on different things.

Are there any of your questions we might be able to help with?
  • wandering44
    wandering44 Posts: 27 Member
    We are on the keto program. I am 5 feet 1.5 inches. I lost 50 pounds in about a year on the keto program. You will need to change the desired grams at the bottom of the chart if you want to track the keto program. My numbers are carbs 20, fat 133 and protein 60. (On the premium MFP program you can change the default numbers). These are daily target numbers for me. I have about 150 items in "my food" category. The numbers came from either the specific items I purchased or off the internet (nutritional values). Once you get these into "my foods" it doesn't take much time to post each meal. I also have about 20 recipes. There is tons of information on the keto program on the internet (hints, recipes, etc.) We have found it pretty easy to follow. Not much on exercise.
  • aep_pc
    aep_pc Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I noticed that the messages stopped in 2020. Are there any 60+ discussion groups anymore?
  • aep_pc
    aep_pc Posts: 2 Member
    Ops I found you all. Sorry I thought the first page would be the most current.
    So here I go....I am 61 and about 60lbs over weight. Not very active as I hate machines. Going to start off with walking. I have been this way before and unable to loose much. I have tried all the diets you can come up with. Keto was the best, but now have a fatty liver! So now going back to the basics.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    djsp55555 wrote: »

Here's a couple of posts about accurate food logging. This might help you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

• glojlilly
    edited April 2021
    aep_pc wrote: »
    So here I go....I am 61 and about 60lbs over weight. Not very active as I hate machines. Going to start off with walking. I have been this way before and unable to loose much. I have tried all the diets you can come up with. Keto was the best, but now have a fatty liver! So now going back to the basics.

Hello I've only been dabbling in "Keto" for about 2-3 weeks off and on but secretly wondered if too much fat consumption, came back to bite the person. So I'm glad you said you'll now just stick with the basics. I think eating during the 8-10 hour window and finishing my meals around 8 p.m. with consistent exercise should be enough on my plate. Speaking of plates, I eat from a salad plate. I too don't care for gym machines so much. Not to mention, most are still closed. Yes, diets have to be a permanent and a feasible lifestyle change. Good luck to you! Glad you found the discussion page.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2021
    glojlilly wrote: »
    Speaking of plates, I eat from a salad plate.
    . Speaking of plates, I eat from a salad plate.mention, most are still closed. Yes, diets have to be a permanent and a feasible lifestyle change. Good luck to you! Glad you found the discussion page.
    That's my approach, too. Unless it involves lettuce. Then I use a dinner plate, and fill the plate with lettuce and top it off with the "other stuff". I figure I can't eat too much lettuce. :)
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member

Hello I've only been dabbling in "Keto" for about 2-3 weeks off and on but secretly wondered if too much fat consumption, came back to bite the person. So I'm glad you said you'll now just stick with the basics. I think eating during the 8-10 hour window and finishing my meals around 8 p.m. with consistent exercise should be enough on my plate. Speaking of plates, I eat from a salad plate. I too don't care for gym machines so much. Not to mention, most are still closed. Yes, diets have to be a permanent and a feasible lifestyle change. Good luck to you! Glad you found the discussion page.

Hi, I was on Keto when I had my heart attack in 2009. Everything got better. I was a Sugarholic...and "it" cause my heart attack. I was 50 plus years Sugar addicted. It caused the erosion of the lining of my arteries where plaque seeped in and blocked one. It was not fun! I vowed I would not get another one...and have not. As recent as last year, my sugar addiction got the better of me, where now I am blood pressure meds, but totally my fault. I would take butter microwave popcorn and put more melted butter. I may have thought this was detrimental until I went to donate blood and my BP was 100/200. A silent killer indeed. My past Heart Challenge made me decide to put my ego aside and take the BP medicine (got off all meds after a period of research of why I experinced the Heart Challenge, and was pretty proud i was off all my meds, but, then decided I was not going mess with my health, and succumbed to 5mg of the BP medicine. I found this article that was pretty interesting regarding fatty liver, and Keto. There is more to it. Personally, I am on Low Carb High Fat because my body regulates well to it. We have to find the best for us. P.S. My husband has a fatty liver and he has never been on Keto. He is taking meds for his liver, and we just eat better.

Best on both your health and fitness journey. I saw this and had to respond!!

https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/does-keto-help-or-hurt-your-liver-the-case-of-keto-and-nafld-601f8a9c5f43
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Correction I went on Keto *after* my heart attack...typing too fast!
  • tumbleweed7834
    tumbleweed7834 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi, i am 67 to born in 1954. I have diabetes and am working on my A1C. It needs to come down. My goal is to have it down by August, when I do bloodwork again. Of course taking off 30 pounds won’t hurt, but that is not my goal.
    My motto is: every carb has calories, not all calories have carbs.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    I decided to get more accurate on my serving sizes, so I've ordered a food scale. You'd think that at the age of 60+, I'd have accumulated that before now! It will be interesting to see how close I've been estimating my portions compared to what they "really are". Never too old to learn new tricks. :)

So the food scale won't be delivered in the mail until the end of the month. Dang. Now I have to keep guessing, but once I've made my mind up to purchase an item, I want it ... like right now. (I don't live nearby any stores that carry that sort of thing, so it is either drive further than I want to, or wait.) I guess I'll wait.
  • glojlilly
    I'm back, for a quick minute. Checking in. This thread/discussion gets hot and cold. Seems hot when the men chime in? Lol. I've been busy, had main drain stopped up and had to rent a snake. Going to have to use tree root killer annually. Now sprinkler repair is scheduled this week, after a 2 week wait. Texans are still catching up with the winter storm damage. The pool filter tank order is still on a month backlog. I did mowing, edging yesterday for 2 hours. I tried to hire it out but the quote was pricey. Uhm, I had to go off all friend requests stuff because I felt I barely had time to log food being a high school nurse M-F with evening chores. I felt I had to log exercise that really wasn't good exercise, which was very time consuming since I'm Not retired. I'm at a 11 lbs loss plateau for 2 weeks because stress makes me snack too much on healthy snacks like nuts. Keto seemed to help at first but the gains disappear as quickly when returning to normal eating. I'm at a standstill but at least I've maintained my loss. Counting down50 days before school is out for the Summer! Yeah! I want to visit mom/siblings in Michigan. 😎
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I'm back, for a quick minute. Checking in. This thread/discussion gets hot and cold. Seems hot when the men chime in? Lol.😎.....

I agree, Gloria. 👍This thread does run hot and cold. I wish that more people would post more often. No one needs to write a book, but regular check-ins do help keep things interesting and active. I have been involved in other threads like this that eventually wither away because no one (or only a few people) keep it active.

Keep checking in and we will see if we can keep this one going! 😁