Confess.

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    At my 'worst' included anxiety that was out of control turning into depression for ~7-9 months. Do not recommend.

I would get up (say to myself I can't wait until I get back home and can get back into bed), shower, get dressed, go to work, work, on the way home I'd stop and get fast food and binge. I wouldn't eat all day so rationalized that meant I could eat a lot in one sitting once I got home. I can remember a meal I ate often was ~2100 calories. That, on top of literally no activity other than binging Netflix/Youtube lead to quite a bit of weight gain.

I can definitely eat 2100 (or even more) calories in a day now but I am FAR more active and have lost ~30lbs. Crazy. Hindsight is better though. At the time I knew I was not OK...but looking back I was really really really not OK.

The anxiety and depression is so tough. It's crazy how you can look back and think, "How did I not see how bad it was?".

I've got a good routine going on right now that has allowed me to be successful for the last 4 months. However, I'm still working from home and my time is really my own to manage the stress as I need to. I return to work in January and I'm apprehensive about how this will change things for me. I'm really going to have to be mindful about how I manage the stress, so I don't fall into those same bad habits (stress eating, not sleeping well, etc.).
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I've thought about starting a thread like this because I think it would be interesting to see how people ate before vs how they eat now so thanks, op! :)

During the week I'd eat some kind of sugary cereal for breakfast, went to fast food places and got things like crispy chicken sandwichs or hamburgers, fries, diet coke (I jokingly say the lack of calories in the diet coke counteract the calories in everything else but it was more that I grew up on diet drinks and didn't really like the sugary ones), and probably a piece of pie or I'd stop off at the donut shop and get a couple donuts to eat afterwards.

Dinner was usually some sort of frozen meal or two bricks of top ramen or a big bowl of pasta with butter and parmesean cheese because I always got caught up in talking to people online and I'd suddenly look at the clock and it would be midnight and I figured I should eat something.

Weekends were when I'd order in and frequently ate a small cheese pizza or chicken fried rice or chow mein and ribs from the chinese place or OHMYGOD ROMANO BREAD PUFFS from Numero Uno.

And fast food. :)

And lots of donuts and pastries and candy bars.
  • glassyo

I feel so connected to you right now.

Except for the carrot cake part because ew. I would just scrape off the cream cheese frosting and toss the cake part out.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited November 2021

@glassyo

yeah. And I forgot the Breyers Mint chocolate chip, too. Half a container, easy. The ice cream was simply a carrier for the chips.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I can relate so strongly to this! I ate "healthy" overall but there were these days, and that was especially the case in social gatherings and holiday meals (more like holiday buffets, mom goes overboard).

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member

I relate so much to Spring's post! Not with the amount of calories, but there were days I was probably close! I wasn't much of a cake/donut type of person, but would have it at times. But candy, chips and definitely soda at least twice a day, were part of my daily consumption. I didn't add those up previously, but I could see it adding at least another 500 calories.

• glassyo

I have never felt so distanced from you. 😋

Mint? Ew. Double ew! 😀

I remember when they came out with the american idol birthday cake flavor ice cream. Me and the half gallon container in front of my computer...it disappeared awfully fast.

Or pints of Ben & Jerry's health bar crunch or chocolate chip cookie dough. One pint was one serving.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    During my University days...I would buy a huge bag of trail mix and/or 'yogurt' covered raisins and polish off either bag while staying up all night writing papers...

I also remember having an entire sleeve of saltine crackers with ranch dressing and sliced cucumbers for dinner...🤨 I also remember eating a huge bowl of seasoned rice for dinner too (usually when I was waiting for my next pay day...'starving student' syndrome lol)

For breakfast I'd go to the University food court and get a bran muffin (cause I thought they were a healthy choice lol!) and a diet coke.

• itsbritneybetch91
    itsbritneybetch91 Posts: 39 Member
    Oh god...so bad. On a really bad day: breakfast was an everything bagel with butter, two sausage patties, cherry tomatos, maybe some hashbrowns. lunch was whatever I could get my hands on and dinner I would have a healthy meal but then have dinner part two and order delivery from somewhere at like 9 or 10pm then have chips, dessert, and wine. So glad to have broken that cycle but need to remember where I came from. I ate everything and anything!
  • mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm reading some of these. There was a time when I was addicted to McDonalds cheeseburger, fries and coke. Since I started a year ago (a year with Vida), I now plan my crap food time. Now, I plan every day what I am going to eat. But yes, I still have within a month either a burger, fries and coke or pizza. But now it is once a month.
  • mjc614900
    mjc614900 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm have been doing substitute teaching for over ten years now. I could drink four chocolate or strawberry milks at lunchtime. That is 600 calories right there - and each one 24 carbs. I ate too. One good thing about the pandemic is the schools were closed. That took away that addiction. I now buy sugar free chocolate syrup (and the taste for chocolate milk is good).