What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Need to figure out a post-Holiday-Challenge routine, but - knowing myself all too well - I swear I'm not going to let analysis paralysis keep me from doing something, even if what I do doesn't make a huge amount of sense.

Today, 6,791 meters rowing machine as 3 x (2k on, 2' off (row out, drink water, row in; full CD on the last "off")). Decided to do the 2nd 2k with 2:30 ceiling, see what happened to HR (stayed Z3, but wouldn't have if <2:30 for the whole session). The first and third pieces were 2:33.X, but I ended up with 23" Z4 at the end of the 3rd one. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

After that, a very short, super light dumbbell session of silly supersets. (I hate inter-set rests with a fiery passion). Goal was just to work through range of motion and start conservatively easing the aging body into some seasonal strength training . . . I hope. (I dislike strength training with a mildly smoldering irritation.) 2 x 10-15 reps of mostly upper body push stuff. Yes, I row before strength intentionally.
    Just 10K on the rower. I realize no one is going to feel sorry for me in Arizona, but it was actually cold for here today -- 50 with high wind and no sun! Probably a dream cardio temp for some but it felt brutal to me!

My heart breaks for you, speaking from a land of deep gloom, temps around freezing, and the inevitable "Wintery mix" that falls in that temp range: A lovely mix of rain, sleet, snow, and everything in between. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Djproulx @AnnPT77 @dralicephd for the info.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Feeling pretty beat up lately. Taking some time off to stick with mostly daily mobility training...
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    5 min walk 4 mph @ 6 Inc
    50 Push-ups
    50 Rev Crunches
    35 KBell Swing
    15 Pull-ups
    50 Knee Tucks

5 x 12
    Deadlift
    Seated Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Hip Sled
    Smith Deads
    Sled Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Goblet Squats
    Iso Dbell Deads (both legs down)
    Smith Lunges
    Standing Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Land Mine Squats

Sporty 40
    Crunches/ Hip Lifts/ Mtn Climbers/ Choppers Hi & Low/ Obliques/ Seated Tucks/ J Knifes/ Cables Crunches

1350 Total Reps
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I am SORE from my little foray into strength training yesterday. The good news is that my shoulder doesn't feel bad (no tingling fingers, no sharp pains at the joint). All pain is just muscle soreness. This is a HUGE improvement from a year ago when I could not do any pushups without my shoulder completely freaking out. I guess the last 4 months of elliptical workouts have helped to stabilize the joint a bit. :smile:

Today was just cardio: I did about 35 min. of elliptical with the bulk of that being in the lower end of zone 3, and I went easy with the arms.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Bootcamp followed by a 5K walk
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Out of left field, the chest congestion came back yesterday. I haven't had it in two weeks so I'm guessing Omicron came and went in one day. Feel fine today.

Did a hard-ish interval session on the rower today. Nice and sunny! It was colder but that warm sun makes all the difference.

Now, since the Concept2 Holiday Challenge is over, I have to get remotivated to get back into lifting. That's always painful when you take even a month off. Might see if I can do just 100 pushups, some light leg work and pressups this evening. Skipping the gym for now, especially with the chest congestion yesterday. Did buy a breathable sports mask for when I go back. I detest masks when I workout but I detest being sick more.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    240 minutes on my Elliptical for 16.6 miles.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Day 13 of EPIC II - chest & triceps workout
    + ~30 min walk on treadmill
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ugh. took a couple days off. Back at it last night now can't sleep...

Chest.

Incline DB 4 sets with weight I could normally do 20 reps with but slowed to a crawl.
    SS Inline coffin press, fly scoops 3 sets 20/ fail each set

High cable fly century set
    Low cable fly century set
    Fly machine decline century set.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    7-8 am:
    Conditioning - (10m)

Mobility - (20m)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Nasty, wet and rainy outside again so I did 30 minutes on the Assault Bike and 30 on the LateralX -- all steady state around 65% of max HR.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    5K Lunch run - evening badminton
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    Legs

DB 3/4 lunges one leg at a time 3 sets 20/20/20
    Walking lunges no weight 180 steps each leg
    RDL with plate under heels 4 sets 20/20/20/30
    Glue machine 3 sets 15/15/30
    Calf machine drop set. 35lb plate, 2 10's, 2 5's. To failure then drop one plate. 1 set
    Back extension machine feet turned out to focus on glutes/hamstrings. 4 sets to failure
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    100 Fwd Jump Rope
    50 Jack Knifes
    25 Banded Curls
    25 Banded Exts

5 x 12
    Landmine Curls
    Iso Kneeling Landmine Press
    Rope Exts back to Stack
    Hammer Curls
    Crushers
    Preacher Curls
    Seated Rope Curls (low pulley)
    Kickbacks
    Seated Incline Curls
    Overhead Dbell Ext

Situps/ Flutter/ Obliques/ Banded Crunches/ Supine Bike/ Leg Tucks/ Twists/ Low Choppers

1150 Total Reps
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    A bit over half an hour (maybe 40'?) of yoga/stretching/foam rolling before breakfast.

3 x (2k on, 2' row in/out+CD) for 6765m total, at moderate SS (2:33 pace, 18spm, a mere 5" in Z4, remainder below, 73% of time Z3).

23 minutes strength training, mostly dumbbells, mostly upper push but added some DB deads and unweighted reverse lunges (latter maybe not a good idea - terrible knees). Once again, objective was reconditioning - i.e., very light, mostly 2 x 10, supersets (so as not to tax my fragile patience). I'll stick around here until the DOMS is mostly gone (about a week?), then figure out where/how to add intensity without too much risk to the aging body.
  • makinlifehappen
    Options
    Arms

Giant set 1 4 sets 20 reps all
    Spider curls, steep incline elbows forward
    Incline DB curls
    EZ bar curls, elbows on stomach
    EZ bar drag curls

Giant set 2 4 sets 20 reps all
    EZ bar reverse grip push up
    EZ bar "skull crushers" press ups
    Lying on ground skull crushers
    French press
    Bench dips

tried to burn out with a century set of tricep push downs but I could go past 50
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: Β»
    Feeling pretty beat up lately. Taking some time off to stick with mostly daily mobility training...

Sounds like a smart plan. Recovery days/weeks are great medicine.