1/1: 10.02 miles
    1/4: 5.31 miles
    1/5: 5.26 miles
    1/6: 5.18 miles
    1/9: 10.01 miles
    1/11: 5.10 miles
    1/12: 5.12 miles

46/100 miles completed for January

It was another cold 5 miles this morning. Not quite as cold as yesterday.  I started out pretty speedy, but then slowed down some. All in all it was a good run. 

exercise.png

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Keepin' it sleasy since 1952"

1-1 7k sleasy
    1-2 7k sleasy
    1-3 rest
    1-4 7k sleasy
    1-5 4k slow
    1-6 4k treadmill
    1-7 7k sleasy
    1-8 7k slow
    1-9 7k sleasy
    1-10 rest
    1-11 7k slow
    1-12 7k sleasy (but a lot closer to easy than slow)
    1-13 rest

January Total: 64k
    January Goal: 140k

Scheduled rest day today; had to use some discipline to keep me from going out running.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Looking for tips on coping with lower temperatures than one is used to... for context, my mountain race on Sunday morning reaches 900 metres (3,000-ish feet I think?) which may not be all that much but it's pretty impressive for someone who lives at sea level. Although it isn't at all cold by most of your standards, I figure it's going to feel cold because, again, quite a way up from home (sea level).
    So my issue is, I have absolutely no idea what to wear and/or carry in the way of clothing. The only mountain races I've done before it was HOT lol. I don't want to turn up under or overdressed and look like an idiot before we even start (I will do enough of that once we get going, especially as I have a sore leg so will be doing even more walking than usual), but I don't want to end up with hypothermia, nor do I want to end up way too hot or having to carry loads and loads of layers that get stripped off. So basically, no idea.
    I asked Evil Coach 2, who replied "well the thing is, the part where you'll feel cold is kilometres 9 to 18 and you'll be very sweaty by then" (so pretty much once we reach the top of the mountain and come down the other side). So I said: "so it's worth taking a long-sleeved top layer to take off and then put back on again?" The reply: "depends on the temperature". HELPFUL LOL. And if I do that, what on earth do I do with my bib, keep stopping to take it off one item of clothing and pin it to another?

I guess the question is totally unanswerable really and I'm just doing the usual pre-race panic and overthink and doubt everything. But, anyone have any awesome ideas to share?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Looking for tips on coping with lower temperatures than one is used to... for context, my mountain race on Sunday morning reaches 900 metres (3,000-ish feet I think?) which may not be all that much but it's pretty impressive for someone who lives at sea level. Although it isn't at all cold by most of your standards, I figure it's going to feel cold because, again, quite a way up from home (sea level).
    So my issue is, I have absolutely no idea what to wear and/or carry in the way of clothing. The only mountain races I've done before it was HOT lol. I don't want to turn up under or overdressed and look like an idiot before we even start (I will do enough of that once we get going, especially as I have a sore leg so will be doing even more walking than usual), but I don't want to end up with hypothermia, nor do I want to end up way too hot or having to carry loads and loads of layers that get stripped off. So basically, no idea.
    I asked Evil Coach 2, who replied "well the thing is, the part where you'll feel cold is kilometres 9 to 18 and you'll be very sweaty by then" (so pretty much once we reach the top of the mountain and come down the other side). So I said: "so it's worth taking a long-sleeved top layer to take off and then put back on again?" The reply: "depends on the temperature". HELPFUL LOL. And if I do that, what on earth do I do with my bib, keep stopping to take it off one item of clothing and pin it to another?

I guess the question is totally unanswerable really and I'm just doing the usual pre-race panic and overthink and doubt everything. But, anyone have any awesome ideas to share?
    You can always use a bib belt or pin it to your leg if you need to remove layers.

I recently got something I have found very useful - it’s a packable jacket by brooks that really does back into a tiny, featherweight backpack. Just enough weight to cut the chill during a walk break and a tiny bit of rain protection (it’s not really waterproof, just water resistant.)
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I was going to suggest a windbreaker as well. They pack down small and will help a surprising amount, especially if you are exercising. I pack one all the time for hikes because it's usually not as windy at the base but it can get chilly as you move up the mountain. It's usually the perfect amount of warmth.
  • eleanorhawkins
    @eleanorhawkins I was going to suggest a windbreaker as well. They pack down small and will help a surprising amount, especially if you are exercising. I pack one all the time for hikes because it's usually not as windy at the base but it can get chilly as you move up the mountain. It's usually the perfect amount of warmth.

Yeah windbreakers are compulsory kit, along with water bottles/cups. Strangely this time an emergency blanket thing isn't, although it was in the one I ran at and after sunset in early September, but as it's in my pack it's staying.

I had one sensible-sounding response from a guy in our club chat: t-shirt, sleeves, windbreaker, buff round neck and another buff for head. I don't have sleeves. Wonder if my husband will notice if I get sleeves. I seem to spend so much on stuff for this 'simple and inexpensive sport'.
    Other replies from club include: High heels. Ski jacket. 5 litres of water and a Spanish omelette sandwich. Windbreaker with a hood to use as a parachute on the way down. And my favourite: flask of brandy then you won't feel the cold. These guys are so helpful :D
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member
    1/3 – 7.02 miles
    1/4 – 6.02 miles
    1/5 – 5.08 miles
    1/6 – 4.03 miles
    1/8 – 8.03 miles
    1/9 – 4.75 miles
    1/10 – 3.10 miles (treadmill)
    1/11 – 5.12 miles
    1/13 – 5.03 miles

I got up and dressed early this morning but just couldn’t push myself out into the cold darkness for a run. Snuggling with the kitty on the couch won out. So I ended up going to a lunch time run. Even the cows were enjoying lunch.
    08cvcxxyax1t.jpg
    @eleanorhawkins – Sorry about the sore leg. I would also suggest a light jacket. Even if you don’t take a pack, you can tie it around your waist (fold it over several times so that it doesn’t flop in the wind so much). I would pin my bib to my shirt and if you start out wearing the jacket, just have it unzipped so that the timing mat will pick it up (if it is chip timed) and then you can zip the jacket back up after you get started. Chances are you will be plenty warm by the time you finish and will not have the jacket on then. @kgirlhart wears sleeves a lot - they are easily removable and stowable in a waist pack if you have any of those.

@quilteryoyo – You are amazing! How many other people can start a run or walk streak the day they get out of the hospital and keep it up for over a year? I know your doctor wishes all his patients had that drive.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member

Yeah windbreakers are compulsory kit, along with water bottles/cups. Strangely this time an emergency blanket thing isn't, although it was in the one I ran at and after sunset in early September, but as it's in my pack it's staying.

I had one sensible-sounding response from a guy in our club chat: t-shirt, sleeves, windbreaker, buff round neck and another buff for head. I don't have sleeves. Wonder if my husband will notice if I get sleeves. I seem to spend so much on stuff for this 'simple and inexpensive sport'.
    Other replies from club include: High heels. Ski jacket. 5 litres of water and a Spanish omelette sandwich. Windbreaker with a hood to use as a parachute on the way down. And my favourite: flask of brandy then you won't feel the cold. These guys are so helpful :D

I've seen people use knee socks for sleeves! The buff is a great suggestion. I find that if I have something covering my ears I can manage the cold much better.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I wish I had some more concrete suggestions, but everybody seems to feel the cold differently.
    I like the idea of using knee socks as sleeves.
    I also like the windbreaker idea, especially since it's likely to be more windy and colder at the top as opposed to the bottom.
    You're going to heat up during the race. Perhaps if you dress for the cool edge of comfort at the bottom, the heating up process may keep you at the cool edge of comfort during the climb.
    But nothing new that you haven't run in before.
    You're an experienced runner -- you've got this!!!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I now have an image of a runner in high heels and a sky jacket, running up a hill carrying a bocadillo! No advice on running in the cold (or up a mountain, for that matter) as I’m a total wuss. But I’m sure you’ll be brilliant.

I work half days on Thursdays so was able to head out for a run at lunchtime today. It was glorious. Cold, fresh and bright sunshine - I actually felt really good. I’m hoping the weather is as good this weekend when I can go out again. Only downside was I could tell I need new running shoes - grip is definitely worn down. That’s an expense I could do without, but better that than falling….

Anyway, happily I’m still on track to double my Jan target and the streak is still going.

1/1: 2.1m
    2/1: 2m
    3/1: 2.5m
    4/1: 2m
    5/1: 1m
    6/1: 2m
    7/1: 2.05m
    8/1: 2.7m
    9/1: 1.8m
    10/1: 2m
    11/1: 1.7m
    12/1: 2.25m
    13/1: 3.11m

Jan total: 27.2m
    Jan target: 30m
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,433 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I too don't have any good advice for running in the cold. I'm a total wimp when it gets below 45F. But the advice about booze is sound 😁

I was able to get 9 miles in this evening. Tried to keep it easy. Felt like I was slowing down each mile, but in fact I negative split each mile. So that's good 😊

exercise.png
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom My back has been pretty good. No "catches" lately. Mostly a dull ache and tightness. I can handle that. I am walking everyday and running a little, but trying to hold off on doing much until I see the new ortho on 1 Feb. I'm really glad your ankle is good again.

Welcome @Aine8046 ! That week skiing sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have a plan you are following for your HM?

You're doing great @Faebert ! Glad you were able to get outside for a run and it was such a good one!

@shanaber I hate it when you lose a post. I do the same thing - try again but in fewer words. LOL

@martaindale Great run. I wouldn't want to be running in the Saturday winds either. I'm glad your race is on Sunday instead.

@eleanorhawkins I have no clue, as I have never competed in a similar race. I do love the answers from your running club. :lol: Good luck this weekend. Looking forward to reading your race report.

Thanks @Teresa502 ! I don't blame you for waiting until lunch to run today. Love the cow picture.

I spent most of my day today in town with mom. Took her to a doctor's appointment, got our CoVID booster shots, and then did some needed shopping - for stuff and groceries. It was after 4 pm when I got home. I put my stuff up and then went out for a walk on the driveway. The weather was just too nice to be inside all day - 48 degrees, but cloudy.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    January Goal: 100 Miles

1/1: 10.02 miles
    1/4: 5.31 miles
    1/5: 5.26 miles
    1/6: 5.18 miles
    1/9: 10.01 miles
    1/11: 5.10 miles
    1/12: 5.12 miles
    1/13: 6.03 miles

52.03/100 miles completed for January

It was still cold today,  but not as cold as the last two days.  I was really tired though and I didn't want to get up and get going this morning.  But once I did I enjoyed the run and ended up running 6 miles. I wasn't as speedy as earlier in the week, but still a nice effort. 

@eleanorhawkins I do like sleeved. They are easy to layer with. I have never used socks as sleeves, but that sounds like a good idea.

exercise.png

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Busy week at work, so I have been lurking, but I have been getting in short runs each evening before my half on Saturday. The rain I was worried about won’t come in until later in the afternoon, but it will be in the high 30s when I start.

@eleanorhawkins I second the recommendation of a windbreaker type jacket that can fold up into itself. I have one my Brooks that can be folded to have straps like a backpack.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2022

@polskagirl01 I hope the kids feel better and that you have a nice bike ride. It's interesting that you feel like you aren't as affected by the cold as you used to be. I am the opposite. Seems like I get cold when it's in the 60's.

I have a similar thing going on... I seem to be at that 'wonderful' point in a woman's life when she gets hot flashes and night sweats and things and this winter I seem to be the only person not complaining they're cold. When I lost the weight I started feeling the cold a lot more, and I've always adored my duvet and really hot showers in the winter... can't tolerate either of those this year!

Well I have gained weight, unfortunately 😕

@summerskier the RTW person I think you're thinking of who was high mileage last year, hasn't commented here in a long time, and stopped doing high mileage. Still runs a bit on Strava, so I think all is well, just not interacting in this group.

@eleanorhawkins the guys in your running club sound exactly like the ones in mine. Do they also have a favorite route that is in the shape of their favorite part of their anatomy?
    In addition to the big co-ed group in Messenger, we girls have our own separate one for our own conversations.
    As far as being prepared for the cold, sometimes just having those extra sleeves, hat or gloves in your pack makes you feel better even if you never put them on. The required windbreaker will help. And maybe they've said this jokingly, but trying to move even a little bit faster while cold will help your body deal with it better.
    ETA: An extra, dry buff/hat can do wonders, too.

My bike ride went well the other day, only the end of one big toe got cold, but not enough to stop me. And that was with my very breathable running-retired Brooks. I can put duct tape over the front and it should be totally fine. So if roads are clear, there went my excuse for cycling in the cold, haha.

Yesterday I only had time for a mile to & from school. Kiddo is faster on the new bike.

I need to get out and run, but here I am stalling.
    I also haven't been on any official "training plan" for what, 2 years(?) and feel like I need to settle on something as my goals for this year are bigger than my current fitness level. I'm looking at several but will probably land on a modified Hal as his plans have proven to be solid for me. But which one? Hmm...
  • eleanorhawkins
    @eleanorhawkins the guys in your running club sound exactly like the ones in mine. Do they also have a favorite route that is in the shape of their favorite part of their anatomy?
    In addition to the big co-ed group in Messenger, we girls have our own separate one for our own conversations.
    As far as being prepared for the cold, sometimes just having those extra sleeves, hat or gloves in your pack makes you feel better even if you never put them on. The required windbreaker will help. And maybe they've said this jokingly, but trying to move even a little bit faster while cold will help your body deal with it better.
    ETA: An extra, dry buff/hat can do wonders, too.

I need to get out and run, but here I am stalling.
    I also haven't been on any official "training plan" for what, 2 years(?) and feel like I need to settle on something as my goals for this year are bigger than my current fitness level. I'm looking at several but will probably land on a modified Hal as his plans have proven to be solid for me. But which one? Hmm...

@polskagirl01 hmm, they haven't let on if they do have one of those routes but I'm certainly not intending to ask any time soon lol. The trouble is, I'm the only woman crazy enough for this club! There have been a few who have joined, lasted about two weeks and then disappeared. Then again, quite a few guys have done the same.
    They haven't suggested I run faster to warm up, but the organisers sent out a notice about covid-restriction stuff: no showers or gear storage, staggered starts, masks at start and finish and water/food stations, and something about no finisher medals. I said well damn, I was only running it for the medal and was promptly told to run faster and win a trophy instead then. HA! They should have a trophy for last, that would be doable!

I vote for tweaking Hal's plans too if nothing else because his disapproval when you use the app and don't follow his orders is amusing ;-)

Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone. I looked and sleeves at the sports shop just down the road are like 8€. I'll probably wear them a lot too, so will probably get some. OR I might just put my calf compression sleeves on my arms instead and look a bit silly, depending on whether I can be bothered to walk the half-mile to the shop or not (says the person planning to run 22.5km over a mountain on Sunday).

I should start gathering all the stuff I will need for Sunday and working out how to carry it. This will be interesting lol.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement everyone. I looked and sleeves at the sports shop just down the road are like 8€. I'll probably wear them a lot too, so will probably get some. OR I might just put my calf compression sleeves on my arms instead and look a bit silly, depending on whether I can be bothered to walk the half-mile to the shop or not (says the person planning to run 22.5km over a mountain on Sunday).

I should start gathering all the stuff I will need for Sunday and working out how to carry it. This will be interesting lol.
    Hahahaha