January 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Do we have set pace requirements for each of our categories of runs? Can I add a new one Scrappy? kind of a cross between slow and ........y

It was frigid here this morning but I took yesterday off because the wind was gale force. The whole first mile my entire lower body was telling me to stop stop stop. I felt like if someone had touched my hips or thighs with a hammer I would have shattered. Finally by mile 4 I felt like i could run normally.

brrrrrrrr

Any word MFP accepts qualifies as a new word for our running dictionary.😁😁😁
  • Tramboman
    Options
    NBQANYMORE wrote: »
    Hi there! Sorry to jump into the middle of your conversation. I have a question. I'm not a runner...don't think I've done any running since junior high school. At this point in my life, I'm not sure I could walk around the block without running out of breath. Could I still join in?

Absolutely!!!!! We'd love to hear from you!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I just lost my entire post twice.

Had a crazy day. Can't type it out again. And Suunto didn't import it correctly so Strava didn't get it either.
    Here's a link to the race promo video for the race I'm doing in February. I tried out the route today:
    https://fb.watch/aGSyFbwFhE/
    Looks like so much fun. But my recon adventure was NOT fun. Actually most of the route was great, but that part under the gondola lift was awful. I honestly don't ever want to do that again, but already paid for my entry... so too bad. I've gotta do it again in 3 weeks on race day.

Pictures
    ulmfwnjwc6zp.jpg
    eiegdc3y5gay.jpg
    wj5np87dcnz7.jpg
    vo2didjwxnrz.jpg
    qsanypynq5ap.jpg
  • Tramboman
    Options

Had a crazy day. Can't type it out again. And Suunto didn't import it correctly so Strava didn't get it either.
    Here's a link to the race promo video for the race I'm doing in February. I tried out the route today:
    Looks like so much fun. But my recon adventure was NOT fun. Actually most of the route was great, but that part under the gondola lift was awful. I honestly don't ever want to do that again, but already paid for my entry... so too bad. I've gotta do it again in 3 weeks on race day.

Pictures
    ulmfwnjwc6zp.jpg
    eiegdc3y5gay.jpg
    wj5np87dcnz7.jpg
    vo2didjwxnrz.jpg
    qsanypynq5ap.jpg

Think I'd run that at a scrappy pace...
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier I love Scrappy for a run "name."

@Faebert Great running. Double your goal? That's awesome.

Thanks @Teresa502 . Great job with your cold morning run!

Welcome @NBQANYMORE ! Feel free to join in and report on the activity that you do. Start slow and easy and keep it up. In no time at all you'll find yourself doing a lot more than you thought you could and we'll be here to cheer you on.

Thanks @skippygirlsmom . I think mom and I are on the upswing of things and feeling better day by day. You had a great response to Skip. I'm sure she chose wisely.

@marisap2010 Glad you got your run in early, even if it was scrappy. Stay safe if you get freezing rain.

@polskagirl01 I can see how that area under the gondola would be really tough right now. I hope the conditions are a bit better in three weeks! It's pretty though.

• polskagirl01
    Options
    Hi @NBQANYMORE welcome to our group. We have walkers, hikers, runners from 1 mile to ultras, come aboard.
    Agreed! Welcome!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

Pictures
    ulmfwnjwc6zp.jpg
    eiegdc3y5gay.jpg
    wj5np87dcnz7.jpg
    vo2didjwxnrz.jpg
    qsanypynq5ap.jpg

There was crawling involved!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    ohoh @Faebert sore throat and sniffles?!!!!!! I hope you are not getting round two. :s Good for you getting out there and really this month has been your best in a long time.

@polskagirl01 when I was in the military we had to do forced marches on the ski slopes. It was pretty awful for a gal with short little legs carrying a heavy pack trying to keep up. I can't imagine doing anything BUT crawling up that terrain with the heavy snow on it. Are you sure this wasn't a mountain climb vs run?

After yesterdays' scrappy morning run I decided that since it had warmed up to 40 f at lunch to put in another 2 miles ... I haven't come up for a word yet for sprinting the whole way and getting my hr up to 190 max but since we are getting a good vocabulary going I am sure there will be some ideas.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Wow @polskagirl01 - was the lead guy in the video carrying an ax? I do like his coat!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »

Pictures
    ulmfwnjwc6zp.jpg
    eiegdc3y5gay.jpg
    wj5np87dcnz7.jpg
    vo2didjwxnrz.jpg
    qsanypynq5ap.jpg

There was crawling involved!

...then I'd crawl at a scrappy pace...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Tramboman You are a beast to get out in those temps and run. Maybe that should be a "scold" run - slow and cold?

@SummerSkier That sound like a tough run. I've got nothing for our new vocabulary to describe it though.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    ohoh @Faebert sore throat and sniffles?!!!!!! I hope you are not getting round two. :s Good for you getting out there and really this month has been your best in a long time.

@polskagirl01 when I was in the military we had to do forced marches on the ski slopes. It was pretty awful for a gal with short little legs carrying a heavy pack trying to keep up. I can't imagine doing anything BUT crawling up that terrain with the heavy snow on it. Are you sure this wasn't a mountain climb vs run?

After yesterdays' scrappy morning run I decided that since it had warmed up to 40 f at lunch to put in another 2 miles ... I haven't come up for a word yet for sprinting the whole way and getting my hr up to 190 max but since we are getting a good vocabulary going I am sure there will be some ideas.

Me too @SummerSkier. All clear on lateral flow so fingers crossed it’s just a cold.

Sounds like you smashed it today. Quick and pacy - quacy?? Short and speedy - sheedy? Whatever, you rock! Well done for getting out for another 2 when it’s sooooo cold xx
  • quilteryoyo
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Nice running @SummerSkier ! I'm often surprised at how quickly my HR goes up after walking, but, it also goes down pretty quickly when I start walking, if it's not uphill.

I did some much needed housecleaning this morning. The vacuuming seemed to take a lot out of me, so I wound up just walking one mile instead of 2 as I had planned. I did walk on the driveway today. I needed a little dose of cold sunshine.