Air Fryer

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    I believe I have solved the wet batter problem in the air fryer. This time my tempura batter was half and half self rising flour and potato starch which had a good texture. Hardened the wet batter in a single layer at a time in a non stick frying pan with a scant drizzle of oil. My batter was a little thin so I spooned some on top of the veg in the pan for extra crust. That also made the veg easier to turn because they stuck together in a sheet so I didn't need to turn each piece individually. You could do up to this step in advance and crisp everything up later in a 200C air fryer for 10 minutes.
    otvermhwskuq.jpg
  • bobbin1962
    bobbin1962 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've only tried to make chips (fries) and have had NO success at all, tried fresh potatoes, frozen chips, a little oil etc etc, but just come out rubbish - any tips??
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    bobbin1962 wrote: »
    I've only tried to make chips (fries) and have had NO success at all, tried fresh potatoes, frozen chips, a little oil etc etc, but just come out rubbish - any tips??

Disclaimer: I’ve had my Airfryer for just under a week so I’m no expert. But I’ll try to troubleshoot for you, anyway!

I’ve made chips from both actual potatoes and from frozen.

All the instructions I’ve read suggest cutting your chips then par-boiling for 5-6 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Place in a bowl, season with salt (and pepper, if you like) add a little oil. Gently stir to coat with the oil. I used a teaspoon for the single serving I made for my husband. Put the chips in your air fryer, making sure it’s not overcrowded. Try to lay them in a single layer. Set temp to 200°C and time to 18 minutes. Shake the basket or turn the fries half way through the cook time. Mine turned out really crispy and fluffy on the inside.

From frozen, no need to parboil or add oil, just pop them in, again, don’t overcrowd the basket. Same heat and time (unless they’re really thin frozen fries - in which case I’d start with 10mins and work from there.

My guess is you may be trying to cook a big batch all at once, as I believe that’s the most common error that causes poor results.

Hope that helps a little!
  • westparktallaght
    westparktallaght Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi which air fryer is best please
  • IheartPGH
    IheartPGH Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nickybasu wrote: »
    Just bot 1, yet to try. Very excited reading your experience. How's is this diff from grilling? Perhaps less messy?

It's basically a small oven that circulates the heated air. It's different in purpose and function than a grill altogether. Something that can be fried or baked, or even microwaved can be cooked with similar results in an "air fryer". You can't necessarily grill a hamburger in an air fryer, but you can still "fry" a burger in it. Hope that helps.
  • zekikat
    zekikat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bobbin1962 wrote: »

I don't have an air fryer, but I do use a convection oven, which is the same technology. I have had very good luck making fries coated with the following method: whisk together cornstarch and hot water to create a sort of gel or very thick paste. Add a bit of oil. Coat fry-cut potatoes well and convection bake or airfry.

I have used this to make 'fries' from celeriac as well; the exterior is crispy and the interior is fluffy, with fewer calories than potato fries.

I got the idea from this recipe, which uses a regular oven, but convection or air fryer gives a better crisp exterior.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I just made air fryer cheesecake for the first time. Good tip in the recipe to put the spring form pan in the air fryer first, then fill with the cheese mixture. I would have made a total mess trying to put the full spring form into the air fryer. I did cover with foil the first 2o minutes as the top heat in my air fryer model is pretty fierce and I was afraid of burning it.
    https://airfryingfoodie.com/air-fryer-cheesecake-recipe/
    zyanmy2sja5g.jpg
  • jenbisla
    jenbisla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Green beans are amazing!!!
  • pjg2015
    pjg2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ox06loh3pir0.jpeg
    yuq5f461ri68.jpeg
    7jwnp9dvov4x.jpeg

Falafel!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty simple and I enjoy making chicken breasts and hard-boiled eggs in mine. If I wasn't trying to lose weight I'd be making chicken nuggets in mine pretty much everyday lol.

You can google almost anything to make in an air fryer. We once made a jalapeno meatloaf that turned out great. :)
  • kokoskarin
    kokoskarin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Halloumi! Just put it in there and it comes out in perfection! I usually make slices, but I bet it could make a whole halloumi perfect too.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I have made fish tempura in the air fryer. Not as delicious as deep fried but close. Cut the fish (or shrimp or veg) into bite size pieces. Measure out equal quantities of self rising flour and potato starch (the baking powder in self rising flour lends airiness and the potato starch gives brittleness). Heat up a non stick skillet with a scant amount of oil to low or medium.. Stir in cold sparkling water into the flour mixture to make a glue like paste. Dip the fish in batter, and fry in a single layer just enough to harden the wet batter (it will loosen when you shake the skillet at this stage), turn, and set aside to cool. You can do this step in advance and pop the fish in the fridge. When you want to eat, air fry 8-10 minutes at 200C.
    Pictured here with Di San Xian (where the potatoes and aubergines were air fried instead of deep fried), rice and tempura dipping sauce.
    joxl2o06coaz.jpg
  • alisonlatourette
    alisonlatourette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Steak! Never thought to do it this way but my husband is offended that I like it better in the air fryer than the grill!
    Also green beans and chicken tenders.
  • Neverquit67
    Neverquit67 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Asparagus with sea salt. Spray with avocado oil. They turn out nice and crispy. Once you have them you won’t want to cook them any other way.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I can make asparagus in the air fryer... game changer!
  • nwmm
    nwmm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pork chops! Little olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Awesome!
  • GinLee61
    GinLee61 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    r6kzjflodqqs.jpg
    Air fryer coconut shrimp.
    I forgot to spray it with a little oil but it still turned out great.