Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Options

Replies

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    @garyruns, whenever I’m under 10% bf I have customers quietly asking if I’m terminal as my face is really drawn
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Would it be ok if i posted a video here looking for some feedback on my bench press form? My progress has stalled and you guys all seem very knowledgeable. Thanks :)
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    There is a separate thread for form check? Is @Chieflrg still active?
  • happimess01
    Options

Thanks for tagging him. I haven't seen him around in a while
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Thanks for tagging him. I haven't seen him around in a while

I briefly searched for that thread and couldn't find it. Creeping on his profile says he's been inactive since November.

This is a thread that was getting a lot of traffic before the holidays. Started as a "post your latest achievement" type thread but has has plenty of routine and form discussion.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10817729/gift-us-your-lifts-or-other-achievements#latest
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Would it be ok if i posted a video here looking for some feedback on my bench press form? My progress has stalled and you guys all seem very knowledgeable. Thanks :)

I have the @chieflrg thread bookmarked. Here it is:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses/p1

Whether or not he is still active is another question.

If not I'd suggest you start with your own thread containing the video. I'm sure you'll get more responses that way.
  • happimess01
    Options
    Thanks @GaryRuns and @steveko89, I made a reddit thread about it. Will make a post here if that doesn't work :)
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just started PHAT as what is probably the final stages of my bulk. I have gained about 8-10 lbs in the past year and I think it's mostly muscle! I have been running PHUL forever. Has anyone run PHAT before? What is the point of the speed work? I think it's pretty disruptive to my shoulder joint so I may pass on it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just started PHAT as what is probably the final stages of my bulk. I have gained about 8-10 lbs in the past year and I think it's mostly muscle! I have been running PHUL forever. Has anyone run PHAT before? What is the point of the speed work? I think it's pretty disruptive to my shoulder joint so I may pass on it.

I ran PHAT. It's a great program. If you want, just extend the rest time for the speed work.
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I ran PHAT. It's a great program. If you want, just extend the rest time for the speed work.

I take your point. Do you know the purpose of the seed work aside from increasing strength? I am really here for aestheics....I also think it's time to cut for me. I am at 114lbs, which is approx 8 lbs up from my weight last year. That and I am emotionally influenced by my alcohol consumption this week!
  • GaryRuns
    Options

It'll be interesting to hear what you think about PHAT after your meso. That's exciting that you feel like you have gained a lot of muscle mass!

I'm about ready to start my cut as well. I have had various ailments for the last month and half or so, namely bronchitis and covid, and I don't want to end my bulk with that so I'm doing one more meso of 4 or so weeks in a surplus before going to maintenance for a couple of weeks and then to a cut.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I dabbled with PHAT a few times and couldn't really get up for it. I don't specifically remember why but it might be worth a revisit.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I take your point. Do you know the purpose of the seed work aside from increasing strength? I am really here for aestheics....I also think it's time to cut for me. I am at 114lbs, which is approx 8 lbs up from my weight last year. That and I am emotionally influenced by my alcohol consumption this week!

The speed work is just an added stressor to help support hypertrophy. You can easily modify if it causes issues.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am a couple of weeks in on adding some extra calories but not telling myself it is a "bulk" as that freaks me out a bit. I have worked so hard to get lean that it's a mind *kitten* to tell myself to gain but I am trying to trust the process I read about and see others having success with. It's super helpful for me to hear the highs and lows people, especially women, go through with eating more food and getting a bit fluffy. I am confident I can get lean again and I am giving myself a cap of 140 pounds. Started at a weight that fluctuates quite a bit--anywhere from 127-132, and I am up to 134 and will see what happens for the next month or when I hit 140.

I can see some definition in my lower body, like that line in your thighs you can see from the side and also my quads are popping more from the front. I am excited but also really looking forward to getting even more lean.

Advice or support anyone wants to offer is welcome :)
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

It'll be interesting to hear what you think about PHAT after your meso. That's exciting that you feel like you have gained a lot of muscle mass!

I'm about ready to start my cut as well. I have had various ailments for the last month and half or so, namely bronchitis and covid, and I don't want to end my bulk with that so I'm doing one more meso of 4 or so weeks in a surplus before going to maintenance for a couple of weeks and then to a cut.

I tell myself it's mostly muscle bc i can still see some abs when I do ab exercises! and my quads are popping! I'll post a pic soon.
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    nay0meh wrote: »
    I am a couple of weeks in on adding some extra calories but not telling myself it is a "bulk" as that freaks me out a bit. I have worked so hard to get lean that it's a mind *kitten* to tell myself to gain but I am trying to trust the process I read about and see others having success with. It's super helpful for me to hear the highs and lows people, especially women, go through with eating more food and getting a bit fluffy. I am confident I can get lean again and I am giving myself a cap of 140 pounds. Started at a weight that fluctuates quite a bit--anywhere from 127-132, and I am up to 134 and will see what happens for the next month or when I hit 140.

I can see some definition in my lower body, like that line in your thighs you can see from the side and also my quads are popping more from the front. I am excited but also really looking forward to getting even more lean.

Advice or support anyone wants to offer is welcome :)

I am basically in the same boat as you. Started at a low weight, set a weight at which I would reevaluate. Then go from there. I like my new upper weight...truthfully, I don't look that much different 8 pounds up!
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yep, currently bulking. Since feb last year ive gone from 10 st 9lbs to 11 st 12lbs. Pretty chuffed. Don't look like i lift yet but i attribute that to lack of muscle and lack of definition. Carrying on bulk till mid march..... Then i dunno. 8 week cut? 12 week? Then maintain for a but before major winter bulk in September? First time ive ever tried putting a time frame on bulk cut cycles and i feel its helping with goal setting and drive

Edit not a beginner so no newbie gains to be had. Dabbled for years ane years but ultimately wasted my time due to lack of consistency leading to lack of results leading to quitting. This marks the 1st time ive stuck at lifting religiously for over a year straight
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

I have changed my goals to focus on strength. I am set for a small deficit but don't stress calories so much. I am trying to get close to the 1000 lb club by my 40th in July. Goal is 405 DL, 275 bench and 315 squat. I am currently 325/240/290. I weigh 167 witha goal weight of 160.

I am running AthleanXs all American Muscle right now. Loving it so far.
  • GaryRuns
    edited April 2022
    Options
    How is everyone doing?

I have changed my goals to focus on strength. I am set for a small deficit but don't stress calories so much. I am trying to get close to the 1000 lb club by my 40th in July. Goal is 405 DL, 275 bench and 315 squat. I am currently 325/240/290. I weigh 167 witha goal weight of 160.

I'm at 186 as of this morning. Up 18lbs from the bottom of my cut where I was approx. 8-9% bf.

I probably need to start a cut. I'm getting "fluffy" and can no longer see my abs without flexing. BUT, I've been making steady gains on my lifts and that makes me reluctant to start a cut. And, as a lot of people who lift for hypertrophy are aware, I look a fair bit more "healthy" with a little fat on my frame, especially as an old dude.

Are you doing high or low bar on your squats @psuLemon? After watching a video by Dr. Mike I switched to high bar and so the weight on the bar has gone down accordingly.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    How is everyone doing?

I'm at 186 as of this morning. Up 18lbs from the bottom of my cut where I was approx. 8-9% bf.

I probably need to start a cut. I'm getting "fluffy" and can no longer see my abs without flexing. BUT, I've been making steady gains on my lifts and that makes me reluctant to start a cut. And, as a lot of people who lift for hypertrophy are aware, I look a fair bit more "healthy" with a little fat on my frame, especially as an old dude.

Are you doing high or low bar on your squats @psuLemon? After watching a video by Dr. Mike I switched to high bar and so the weight on the bar has gone down accordingly.

I have always done high bar squat. I know I leave some on the table, but it feels more comfortable.