Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

1111213141517»

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Hey guys. Overall, I've been well, weight has been a little noisy but mostly within the expected range. Height of bulk in early November was right around 180 and felt fluffy. Pretty smooth drop to 176 in early January but that was pretty depleted after needing to take 2+ weeks off lifting due to a sinus infection. Back up to 178-178.5 late Feb/early March and trending at around 177.5 now. This time of year has become a pain to navigate with family gatherings; my niece and nephews all have birthdays within a 5 week span, Easter in a few weeks, then my wife, myself, and my Dad all have birthdays 4/21-5/2. At this point I think the anxiety of dealing with family is just as detrimental as the menu selection.

Workout-wise, things have been pretty good. Running the RP Men's physique template back in the fall was a good learning experience but i think the overall volume would get too high and I don't trust myself to accurately judge RPE/RIR. I took the basic framework of that mushed it together with PHUL-type rep ranges for this six day hybrid of sorts.
    - Pull 1: lower rep
    - Push 1: lower rep
    - Pull 2: hypertrophy
    - Push 2 : hypertrophy
    - Legs
    - Push/Pull bonus upper body

Aesthetically I'm finally getting to a point where I almost look like I lift... maybe? I'm dabbling with some different set/rep schemes to really try and focus the hypertrophy days. Started 6x6 w/ 30 seconds rest last week and really liking how that feels so far. I upgraded all the pulleys on my pulley tower which really made a difference to how smooth it moves; makes it nice to really slow down the tempo when using it, which also seems to have a nice effect.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,058 MFP Moderator
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Overall, I've been well, weight has been a little noisy but mostly within the expected range. Height of bulk in early November was right around 180 and felt fluffy. Pretty smooth drop to 176 in early January but that was pretty depleted after needing to take 2+ weeks off lifting due to a sinus infection. Back up to 178-178.5 late Feb/early March and trending at around 177.5 now. This time of year has become a pain to navigate with family gatherings; my niece and nephews all have birthdays within a 5 week span, Easter in a few weeks, then my wife, myself, and my Dad all have birthdays 4/21-5/2. At this point I think the anxiety of dealing with family is just as detrimental as the menu selection.

Workout-wise, things have been pretty good. Running the RP Men's physique template back in the fall was a good learning experience but i think the overall volume would get too high and I don't trust myself to accurately judge RPE/RIR. I took the basic framework of that mushed it together with PHUL-type rep ranges for this six day hybrid of sorts.
    - Pull 1: lower rep
    - Push 1: lower rep
    - Pull 2: hypertrophy
    - Push 2 : hypertrophy
    - Legs
    - Push/Pull bonus upper body

Aesthetically I'm finally getting to a point where I almost look like I lift... maybe? I'm dabbling with some different set/rep schemes to really try and focus the hypertrophy days. Started 6x6 w/ 30 seconds rest last week and really liking how that feels so far. I upgraded all the pulleys on my pulley tower which really made a difference to how smooth it moves; makes it nice to really slow down the tempo when using it, which also seems to have a nice effect.

Nice update. I feel you on the family stuff. Between my work travel (monthly), holidays and family events it's hard to make a ton of progress. Part of the reason I am focusing on strength and hoping for some recomp. Albeit, if I could drop a few lbs that would be ideal
  • psuLemon
    This week has treated me nicely when it comes to my big lifts.

Lifetime Squat PR -290
    Hit 2x bw on DL - 335lb today.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 177 Member
    Definitely trying to gain here. Upping my calorie to 1800 maintenance, and 2200 on training days (3-4x/week). 38M/5'4''/122LB/9.5% BF (or so my scale says, anyone with a second view please feel to confirm). Any advice on calorie intake would be appreciated. I would like to hover at the 8-sub 10% BF while gaining.
    Progress pic (NSFW) https://i.imgur.com/4yxV7Y7.jpeg
  • psuLemon
    If you know your maintenance is 1800, then 2100-2200 is appropriate. And a protein goal that is 115-130g would be sufficient. Just make sure you follow a structured lifting routine