Gymladmatt Posts: 393 Member
    Today’s gym session
    Bench x3 62.5kg 7 7 6
    Squat x3 60kg 5 5 5
    Row 50kg 9 9 9
    Curl x3 20kg 8 8 7
  • anew45
    anew45 Posts: 17 Member
    Maybe a little different thinking but as a newbie lifter I think if you went on a 500 calorie deficit per day and lifted you would make huge gains in body composition. You will most likely gain muscle and very slowly if at all loose weight but your body fat will drop as you gain muscle. You will like what you see in the mirror much more this way. I lost 65 lbs in six months and then increased my calories to about a 500 cal deficit for the last two months and have consistently been lifting every other day strongs 5x5 program with some additional exercises mixed in. I’m barely loosing weight but my abs showed up, muscles in my back started popping out, and so on. It’s mentally hard to lift weights at a calorie deficit but it is the only way to get a shredded look and get away from being skinny fat. If you bulk right now, that is lift on a calorie surplus you will raise your body fat percentage and that just means much more work to repair your body composition and lower your body fat. In the end the only way to do that is lift at a deficit.
  • Gymladmatt
    anew45 wrote: »
    Maybe a little different thinking but as a newbie lifter I think if you went on a 500 calorie deficit per day and lifted you would make huge gains in body composition. You will most likely gain muscle and very slowly if at all loose weight but your body fat will drop as you gain muscle. You will like what you see in the mirror much more this way. I lost 65 lbs in six months and then increased my calories to about a 500 cal deficit for the last two months and have consistently been lifting every other day strongs 5x5 program with some additional exercises mixed in. I’m barely loosing weight but my abs showed up, muscles in my back started popping out, and so on. It’s mentally hard to lift weights at a calorie deficit but it is the only way to get a shredded look and get away from being skinny fat. If you bulk right now, that is lift on a calorie surplus you will raise your body fat percentage and that just means much more work to repair your body composition and lower your body fat. In the end the only way to do that is lift at a deficit.
    Thanks for the advice. I’m currently eating maintenance calories but may go on a slight calorie deficit
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Shoulder press 22.5kg 7 7 7
    Deadlift 70kg 6 5 5
    Row 50kg 9 9 9
    Tricep 90lb 11 10 10
  • Gymladmatt
    Today workout
    Incline bench 50kg 8 8 7
    Pull up 7 7 6
    Leg press 60kg 10 9 8
    Tricep extension 90lb 11 10 10
  • Gymladmatt
    Progress picvp5pyyndejbx.jpeg
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Incline bench 50kg 8 8 7
    Row 50kg 9 9 9
    Squat 50kg 8 8 7
    Curl 80lb 9
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Shoulder press 45kg 7 7 7
    Trap bar deadlift 70kg 6 5 5
    Tricep 90lb 12
  • honeybee_s
    honeybee_s Posts: 10 Member
    Great Work. Still at it or did you reach goal? Best wishes.
  • Gymladmatt
    Re starting this to keep me accountable until my holiday in October.
  • Gymladmatt
    A good weekend of food choices so far.
    Gym tomorrow 💪🏻
  • Gymladmatt
    Full body workout this morning in the gym.
    Feeling much better on lower calories so far 💪🏻
  • Gymladmatt
    Home workout this morning
    Chin up x3
    Shoulder press x3
    Deadlift x3
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,887 Member
    Regarding your question of what rep range is ideal for growth, bottom line is you can grow bigger and grow stronger at every rep range. Three reps? Bigger and stronger. Fifteen reps? Bigger and stronger. You're going to increase strength faster at lower reps since you're likely using heavier weights, and you're going to increase size faster at moderate reps since you're sets last longer causing more time under tension, but any range is fair game.

But do realize that increasing weights is NOT the only way to increase intensity. Check out this MFP article for tips to make your workouts harder, thus more effective.
  • Gymladmatt
    Cheers for the advice 👍🏻
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Dumbbell press x3
    Row x3
    Squat x3
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout