Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Well .. March started with a slight gain over the last Saturday in February ...
    ... I had a big drop during that week, and I had an up in the middle of this week ...
    I weigh myself daily to monitor my fluid retention but record o the Saturday weight on this thread. In my personal log I track the weekly average ... so I have lots of numbers to 'play with' if I want. I need to weigh every day because if I have an gain of over 3 pounds I need to contact my doctors nurse for instruction and possibly take a medication. Thankfully, I have been able to keep the fluid build up within an acceptable range and thus believe that most of my ups and downs have more to do with how much food, what type, and how many carb grams I ate in the previous 24-48 hours than with my heart and kidney function.

Saturday Weigh In results ...
    5'3" tall
    Highest weight: 278 lb
    Goal weight: 175 lb
    1/1/22 : 233.0
    1/29/22: 230.8
    2/05/22: 229.2
    2/26.22: 224
    3/5/22: 225.8

My furniture is being moved on Tuesday to the senior apartment 'penthouse' (LOL, I call it that because it's on the top floor of the building the apartments are in .. all of 6 stories tall with just the top 3 being the apartments). But UGH! I am so behind in my packing. Thank goodness my house sale is not closing for another month so I will have plenty of time to move the boxes of stuff that didn't make it onto the movers truck ... unfortunately, it will be me moving those boxes from my house to the trunk of my car, to the apartment! All good exercise! I take it slow, I rest as needed. IT WILL GET DONE!

Have a good week everyone! Stay well, healthy, happy.
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound I hope you are happy with your efforts towards your four week goal. I have a similar goal (date a few weeks from now, want to weigh less than now) but haven't been losing weight lately. I'll keep trying but I'll just stay firm in at least not gaining too much.

@mnwalkingqueen Almost everything is packed! Now to finish up (that last bit seems to take forever), hope it all fits, and hope we don't hurt ourselves moving.

@nsk1951 We're moving too, at least you have some help moving a little! I hope your view from your new penthouse is nice : ) We will have to go much faster in our move - just a few hours to load then drive for days. Do pace yourself when moving!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @MrsHermit ,,, Good luck on your move. Sounds like you and your partner are moving things into a transport that you have to fill yourselves ... that's a lot of hard work to move furniture pieces. I never would be able to manage lifting a piece of furniture by myself. Just packing the boxes is hard enough because, while I can shove them into a waiting spot after they are filled, I cannot lift them. The moving company did offer packing services but that wouldn't work in my case. I only have to drive for an hour to get to my new apartment! ... And, I am woefully behind in packing! Things take so much longer than anticipated, and my plan kind of fell through as I got further behind. It will be what it will be!
  • JEsTeR_4_FuN
    JEsTeR_4_FuN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone on this thread who is trying to lose a lot of weight feel free to FR me (plz let me know you saw this post). I’m 44 and trying to lose 190 pounds. Used to be a runner (daily 5-10k with Sundays off) and even completed a 1/2 marathon. I also used to swim 3 miles almost every single day. A while back I broke my patella (knee cap) and shortly after was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that caused joint inflammation and chronic pain. I got depressed and continued eating like I was still running, swimming, and lifting daily….and here I am…44 years old, 5’8”, and 340.1 pounds. I recently bought a higher end treadmill and am doing incline walking and no incline very lite jogging. I am also doing a lower carb diet but not following a specific diet (keto, atkins, etc)…anyhow…if any of you are looking for someone who is going through it too…feel free to FR me as I mentioned. I’m on here daily and since I work from home and make my own schedule I am also active here (not just logging in daily) but like most I have days where I cannot be as active due to RL obligations. I’m any event, I hope you all hit your goals, develop and maintain healthy habits and stay well!
  • MrsHermit
    Options
    @JEsTeR_4_FuN You are trying to get healthy now and that is what matters! Just take it one day at a time, small habits at a time. I need to lose 110 lbs. I'm about 20 lbs down.

@nsk1951 Oh my yes moving would be harder if you cannot lift the boxes. I do hope some help comes for your move! We will be doing the whole thing ourselves - we are renting the truck ourselves; packing, loading, unloading; all by ourselves. We've been packing early since we knew we were moving and tasks tend to pile up towards the end; whatever problems come we'll just get through it somehow. Please take it easy on yourself though, do what you can and take breaks! I hope you enjoy your new place!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Checking in…
    This week has been a little emotional here in MN we are constantly bouncing between a feels like temp of almost 40 to -4 feeling a little defeated. Also why when it comes to being obese no one notices 30lb weight loss, atleast no one I know notices it on me. I can notice it in my clothing though.
    @the movers😉..Be safe moving to your new homes and take it slow and easy don’t over do it.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Yippy!! ... I had a loss this week ... and I'm pretty certain much of it is from the increased physical mobility of packing, unpacking, as well as and eating very simply at the apartment; 'at home' I spend too much time sitting in front of my computer, plus my meals are larger, heavier.

5'3" tall
    31222: 223.6 ... almost at the 20% loss point. 222.4 will be that marker. Reaching for the stars!

@JEsTeR_4_FuN - This week I received some very appropriate quotes from the author of 'Atomic Habits' book, James Clear, from his Thursday eMail list. I think they are often the motivational push I need to keep my nose to the grindstone in my struggle with weight loss ... This is what he said this week that really struck a cord for me ..
    1. "What starts as an excuse can easily become a habit. Don’t let a bad day become a lifestyle."
    2. "Life is a series of seasons, and what works in one season may not work in the next."
    3. "Awareness is often enough to motivate change. Simply tracking your food intake will motivate you to alter it. Merely writing down your problems may spark ides for possible solutions. The process starts with seeing reality clearly."

Thanks @mnwalkingqueen ... I did pace myself carefully as I try to listen to what these old bones are prompting me. Because I am so slow, I ran out of time to pack everything I wanted to go with the furniture movers, so I will be hauling smaller loads by car myself for the rest of this month. ... and actually, really liking the forced activity to do it!

Have a safe move @MrsHermit

• mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @nsk1951 - CONGRATS 🎉 on the loss. Sorry to hear you ran out of time with packing.

AFM:
    I met my first goal since working harder on being healthier. I walked 8 miles this weekend towards my Sesame Street Challenge.
    I am Holly live in Minneapolis MN this month I will be 49.
    Highest weight 280
    Current weight 250
    Short term goal 240
    Long term goal 200 (what I weighed after giving birth 25 yrs ago.)
    For my I don’t post weight weekly for I learned last time I was on here that if I don’t lose one week everyone seeing that makes me feel ashamed. I know there is no reason to be it is just me judging myself.
  • missionalman
    missionalman Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    @JEsTeR_4_FuN - I'm going to add you. I used to be heavy into sports and that changed when I sprained every muscle in my back! After a long recovery I discovered I have an autoimmune condition too and it's caused arthritis in every joint in my body so I'm relearning how to move my body in safe ways.
  • missionalman
    Options
    OSW: 366 lbs
    CSW:310.7
    2022 GW: 280
    UGW: 180

Weighed in today at 310.7. Glad to see that I haven't put much weight back on since I had to let my personal trainer go. It's been a hard slog this week with school and I have a major project due on Thursday, so I'm going to have to double down with the time management in the next couple of days. I'm going to insist on getting a workout in the morning, though, even if it's just chair yoga, if that's all my body will let me do.

Bit about me: 32 year old student taking Community Support Work. From Manitoba, Canada. Fur papa to two silly cats. I've been trying to lose the weight for years, ever since I injured myself 7 years ago and put it all on. I also have Arthritis in every joint in my body so I'm working closely with a rheumatologist to try and get that under control so my body behaves like it's 32 instead of 70.

Can't wait to keep getting to know you all!
  • MrsHermit
    Options

@mnwalkingqueen Thanks for the well wishes! (((hugs))) about feeling down. I know I achieved a real milestone for me in getting my body to really lose weight but nobody notices but me because it's "only" 20 lbs. But I'm finally doing it, really doing it. Getting healthy is important even if nobody notices. 8 miles walked, way to go!!

@nks1951 yay congrats on your loss, even if it's from all the moving. I'm glad you got most of the big stuff moved though sorry to hear you will have several more trips to take. Those were nice motivational quotes! Thanks for the well wishes. We're doing the final tasks and cleaning now. Only a couple of weeks left. I've managed to carve a tiny space to exercise, and am trying to exercise daily (I've been sedentary except for packing lately) so that my body doesn't get too much shock on moving day.

@missionalman *waves* Congrats on your journey, you've come so far already! I too struggle with insisting on exercise time as everything else seems more important. But health should be a priority too. Start small and build on that. I've been overweight my whole life; lost a bit quickly due to several things going on in my life (I don't count that though bad time in my life) but still unhealthy. I'm on the journey to become healthy for the first time in my life. It's a marathon, not a sprint. I'm learning to make lifelong, healthy choices I can live with. I know that you mentioned arthritis - I'm not a doctor but my DH has some rheumatoid arthritis and dark tart cherries juice seem to help him a bit. He also eats beets.

For me, there are a couple of weeks to go until the move. I've been mostly sedentary the last few months except for packing. I'm determined to exercise each day this week and some next week so that my body isn't shocked too much by loading day, which we'll be doing ourselves. I haven't been losing weight but have been maintaining, which is ok. I do anticipate some weight loss when we arrive as there will be a lot of sudden need for physical labor and not a lot of time for meals (and a need for smaller portions).
  • missionalman
    Options
    Managed to make it through the weekend! Forgot to phone the rheum though today so will have to wait until tomorrow as the office is closed. My knee was especially persnickety today.

360s 350s 340s 330s 320s 310s 300s 290s 280s 270s 260s 250s 240s 230s 220s 210s 200s 190s
  • nsk1951
    Options
    5'3" tall
    3/12/22: 223.6
    3/19/22: 222.5 ... soooo close to 20% down... maybe next week.

Well ... something new on the health front ... my balance is very off and I cannot lift my feet as much of the ground as I ought when I walk ... and yesterday it caused me to fall down TWICE in the driveway of my house. So now I am nursing two more-than-ever sore knees and the wrist on my left hand plus 3 fingers on my right hand! ... That kind of puts a crimp in the moving project. Yet, when I think about it, I need to laugh .... I can just imagine how funny and graceless I looked to anyone who might have witnessed those two tumbles! ... The first one happened when my left foot caught on the forward swing of a step onto the ground and I lost my balance. The bag I was carrying fell on the ground along with me and broke my fall, so just some scraped knees with that one. The second one happened shortly after I got myself picked back up. This time, the left foot tipped outward and down I went, this time hurting my hands. Guess I won't be attempting to walk without my walker or cane for stability and support anytime soon again. ...

Hope everyone has a good week. Stay healthy, stay happy. Stay strong.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    Hi-

@nsk1951- sorry to hear about your balance issue and falls. I hope you didn’t hurt yourself to badly. I pray that you figure out a cause.
    @missionalman- welcome to the group. Hope your knee is feeling better.
    @karen- Hope all is going good for you.
    @MrsHermit - Congrats at your loss too. I guess all that matters is that we know how much we have accomplished.

I have just been so focused on work,walking dog, eating before 7pm and relaxing that I forget check in here. I was excited for the false spring but like normal the cold and possible snow is back.
    This weekend is going to be food ruff for me but celebrations like this are only once a year…yep birthday time again. Good thing I hate cake but I am sure a slice cheesecake factory will be available.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I can't believe I haven't posted in a month. So sorry--please know I have been reading your posts. Congrats to those who have had successes and hugs to those in need of support.

Life has been busy and stressful as we near spring break. It's like this every year, but I swear I never get any better a dealing with it. My sleep has been off, and I've been moody and really missing my sweet Gunner boy. Dogs are such a gift, and I can't wait to get another, but I promised my husband we could wait at least until after I come back from Spain in June.

I haven't been great with nutrition, but also not terrible. Up until this week, I had been consistently hitting the gym 5x/week. This week, we had gorgeous weather on Monday, so I went for a 3 mile walk. Tuesday that weather turned to icy cold rain (I feel your pain, Holly!), and I should've gone to the gym, but I was very tired because I didn't sleep well Monday night. Wednesday I had a meeting after work, and today I just didn't feel very motivated. Tomorrow I have a hair appointment after work, and Saturday I have a bunch of errands I need to run before leaving for California next week. I hope to at least go on Sunday, but we will see how errands and packing go Saturday.

On the plus side, my weight has stayed in the low 190s. I was really hoping to get back into the 180s before I leave Tuesday, and I guess there's still a chance that could happen, but even if it doesn't, I am happy not to have had a backslide as I often do when life gets busy.

I saw a few new members, so I want to say welcome to them. I will try to post more consistently going forward. :)

Karen
    52 years old
    5'7"
    SW = 247 (March 2011)
    Official 1/1/2022 weigh in = 193
    GW: 185 (my previous low)

1/7/22 = 191
    1/14/22 = 191
    1/21/22 = 190
    1/28/22 = 192.4
    2/4/22 = 192.6
    2/11/22 = 189
    2/18/22 = 191.2
    2/25/22 = 191
    3/4/22 = 191.2
    3/11/22 = 191.8
    3/18/22 = 190.6
    3/25/22 =
  • nsk1951
    Options
    5'3" tall
    3/12/22: 223.6
    3/19/22: 222.5
    3/26/22: 223.4
    Well, a small gain this week and not one that is a surprise, beyond being pleased that it was not more of a one.
    When I was wrapping up a top of fridge cupboard that I wasn’t able to access on my own for the past several years we came across a sealed glass ginger jar filled with wrapped sugar drop candies; the kind with different flavored centers that you pop into your mouth as suckers. This type of sweet is one that was ever present in my parents home and carried over to mine as well. I don’t purchase candies any longer and forgot all about this jar of them. We took off the seal on that jar of sweet treats and divided them amongst the households represented that day. My portion ended up being a daily treat until I finally tired of the physical effect all that pure sugar consumption had on me. Yet it was, even then, an expenditure of considerable effort to let them be instead of reaching into the jar to pull out a fistful of 5-7 candies to suck and crunch on that day (it half day).
    The packing and moving will be complete by this coming Thursday or Friday morning, as the closing and handing over of house keys is set for then. Not a moment too soon, either!

To everyone posting on this thread, I hope you have a happy, safe, and ‘well done’ week.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    Hey- My food choices were horrible by choice celebrating that bday for a few days. I noticed the older I get my bday is spent mostly alone. I did however walk every day so hopefully that will balance things out. Glad I hate cake so not much sweet stuff was ate.
    @karen- hugs as you miss gunner, hope you have fun in Cali and Spain Wow sounds like a fun summer.
    @nsk1951- sounds like you enjoyed the candy. So crazy the closing is here already.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    5'3" tall
    3/26/22: 223.4
    4/2/22: ??
    This past week, I had a doctor appointment with the new medical office at my new residence and they weighed me with full street clothes and shoes on! I never kept my shoes on before! Also, I prefer my morning weight before eating and drinking ... and that was not the case that day either. However, the weight their scale showed lines up with what I would think my weight would be given those circumstances .. and I am going to work on that for the month of April, as I have a follow up on May 3 and will once again be weighed with a full belly, lots of clothes, and shoes ... My goal is to be 5 pounds lighter than I was on their scale at my first appointment. The weight on the doctors office scale had me at 228 even.
    I didn't weigh-in today because I could not find my scale ... it's still in one of the boxes that I have to unpack from my final move of possessions from yesterday.
    The house no longer belongs to me and as I took a video of it while walking through the grounds and rooms for the last time, I thanked it for all the happy years it sheltered me and provided a comfortable place to call my home. I hope the people who will next call it home have as much happiness there as I did, and that they care for the it as well as they would take care of themselves. One day I might visit it, but it won't be anytime soon because I really feel the sadness of leaving the place I lived in for longer than anywhere else in my existence. I am grateful that it was mine for almost 29 years. I am grateful that I have found a fitting place for my current age and health and pray that this new abode treats me as tenderly as my Rustic Ranch did.

I hope everyone has a great week ... with warming weather and more sunshine, with good intentions carried through and a feeling of accomplishment and self worth in a healthy zone.

Yes, @mnwalkingqueen... My house sold the first day and closed 30 days later.
    Hope your move went well @MrsHermit
    hope Spring Break comes quick for you @skinnyjeanzbound

• mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @nsk1951- I find it weird to when I go to the doctor and they weigh me with street clothes and shoes on. I think that’s a great goal for you to have for your next weigh in. I hope you enjoy your new place.

As for me…not much just new just antsy for no snow and rain….I really want heat and sunshine. I went walking in the rain yesterday and today which chilled me because it is only in the 20’s here. I have an accomplishment at my current weight 250 I can do assisted sit-ups on my bed. I am doing 10 every morning/evening. I am working on celebrating all accomplishments not just the big ones.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Weigh-IN ..
    Nope, not this Saturday either.
    Not to break a trend, except that I simply forgot to do it. I feel the same in my body, except that I am on the 'hold it' instead of 'let it rip' side of the IBS thingy; plus my clothes are fitting the same ... baggy and loose and telling me to get out of that comfort zone with then and change to a smaller size.

There was in interesting article from MFP about how often people should weigh themselves in this morning emails. Just the think I needed to remind me that I forgot to do it ...

The article talked about the various ways we can measure our food intake and the pros/cons of each method. I think I have been, actually, following the 'my plate' method of keeping track of what I eat. I do go on MFP and log the food and have noticed that, over time, my plates are starting to line up with my calorie allowance ... but only if I eat just 2 meals a day plus a small snack in the evening. Whatever works for you is the method you ought use.

Yesterday I had a bone density DEXA Scan at my new medical facility. It was of my spine and hips. According to the results, I fall into the 'low normal' for both and that my chance of having a fracture of the hip or spine is low over the next 10 years. Good to know, because as I age, my balance is worsening and I need to be more careful. There are balancing exercises I have seen on YouTube, and I have done some of them at some times, but am not very regular or disciplined about exercise ... maybe there is a group I can find at the Y around the corner ... something to help me get into the habit of doing them more often than I do.

@mnwalkingqueen I can empathize with you on wanting warmer weather! Seems like I'm cold all the time lately. Good going on getting in some of those movements. I've always read 'start small, be consistent in doing it, increase slowly' ...

I hope anyone and everyone who reads this thread has a great upcoming week. Make it SO!